Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
If you're on about the Thor vs Foxic battle, I was at that one, and Jason said in his interview afterwards that he didn't want to fire the axe when Foxic was right in front of the robot with the blade up, as it would likely have bent the axe badly. As soon as he was around the side, he was hitting Foxic nice and hard.

Yeah that, but also in general, I don't know what wireless switch setups they are using but most axes either don't work the whole match or the there is a delay and they miss the strike. There are more hits on thin air than anything else!

Does anybody know if the Chaos or Hypnodisc teams are in this series?

Hypno-Disc may return, but Chaos 2 was retired after the original series ended. These days there are far more powerful flipper robots, who all owe their existence to George Francis and Chaos 2, but I'd prefer not to see them in the arena again, unless it's part of some kind of exhibition match with other veterans because their flat sides, clear plastic backing and polycarbonate top would be completely destroyed if they came up against a flywheel.

latest

Foxic was a bit of a joke in that show and also created by a guy who came across as a bit of a 🤬

Thor should have won, Shockwave was okay at best. Still though, that's Robot Wars!

Bit of a disappointing heat. None of the matches really went the distance, mainly because the robots kept breaking down! Reliability is a big issue this year.

Enjoyed it tonight, much better than last week, some really good battles and TR2 a worthy and deserving Grand Finalist.👍

Just noticed that the BBC are making the same mistake they did the original run; Showing snippets of fights that haven't happened yet at the beginning of episodes. I've been able to work out a couple of results based on who's against who and how many robots are in the arena...including one fight with two robots from separate heats...

They did stop that for the latest episode. With a 12 year gap, they kinda did need to use clips like that to give examples, but yeah, I know the clip you mean.

Bit of a disappointing heat. None of the matches really went the distance, mainly because the robots kept breaking down! Reliability is a big issue this year.

It's annoying me how unprepared a lot of the teams are, quite a few of the bots have been cobbled together in a matter of days and subsequently break down the first time they use them.

Surely they signed up months in advance and would have had plenty of time to build and test things to make sure they you know.....work.

Robots like Overdozer were entered because on their application they put "We have no idea how to make a robot". The producers are trying to amateurs involved to bring variety because most of the competitors have come both from the old show and the live circuit, so they can build very advanced robots. Nobody seems to be used to coming up against flywheels as they're not allowed on the live circuit, which is why loads of robots have exposed wheels; something which had stopped originally by about series 4. And the ones using flywheels don't seem to know how to not destroy their own robot in the process...

Robots like Overdozer were entered because on their application they put "We have no idea how to make a robot". The producers are trying to amateurs involved to bring variety because most of the competitors have come both from the old show and the live circuit, so they can build very advanced robots. Nobody seems to be used to coming up against flywheels as they're not allowed on the live circuit, which is why loads of robots have exposed wheels; something which had stopped originally by about series 4. And the ones using flywheels don't seem to know how to not destroy their own robot in the process...

Flywheels can be too unstable, however, I have seen some devastating high speed spinning drum machines:

Well we know how tonight will go.

Storm 2. Won one championship. Should have won 2 if not for the biased judging. Cost 20k. Has super detailed computers, changeable weapons and took advantage of the extra 10kg this year.

Yeh thats a done deal then.

Last edited:
The only explanation I can think of for Storm2's apparent weakness is struggling for grip on the steel floor, that was a pretty rubbish performance, and they never made use of their flywheel. Tornado's performances were better than that, a robot they were meant to be twice as strong as...13 years ago.

Eruption was a disappointing, I was expecting them to win this heat. Their flipper is not nearly as powerful as I thought.

PP3D was fairly good considering how flimsy it looks and the low speed of the disc, but the lost drive in every fight. Nowhere near as good as Typhoon 2, which is probably why Storm2 beat them this time, even though they should have won 13 years ago too...

Sabre Tooth was never gonna last without a srimech. Terror Turtle appears to be unchanged from the abysmal robot it was in 2003. Sweeney Todd was lucky to last to the end considering is basically a middleweight robot with series 3 arena hazards for weapons, and Kan-Opener were unlucky to have yet another safety link come out.

Apollo is a fantastic robot...when it works. The flipper is probably about as powerful as Gravity's was, and not far off Wheely Big Cheese's. Their problem, and Eruptions too is that the flipper is fairly narrow, and the robot has sloped sides so you need to time your flips well as your opponent won't be on top for very long. Now to see if they can take out Sir Killalot in the grand final!

I would say best episode yet, but I think the first was slightly better. Although we finally got to see some OotA's and 3 House Robots being flipped, so it's definitely a great thing.

I'm amazed that Typhoon 2 was never mentioned. Gary Cairns from PP3D was the driver of Typhoon 2 in Series 7, so Storm 2 vs PP3D should have been hyped up even more. I suppose they were trying to keep it quiet in broadcast, but behind the scenes, that would have been a real grudge match.

I would say best episode yet, but I think the first was slightly better. Although we finally got to see some OotA's and 3 House Robots being flipped, so it's definitely a great thing.

I'm amazed that Typhoon 2 was never mentioned. Gary Cairns from PP3D was the driver of Typhoon 2 in Series 7, so Storm 2 vs PP3D should have been hyped up even more. I suppose they were trying to keep it quiet in broadcast, but behind the scenes, that would have been a real grudge match.
Oh right.

This confuses me. Typhoon 2 was much better than PP3D.

Eruption was a disappointing, I was expecting them to win this heat. Their flipper is not nearly as powerful as I thought.

Flipping Terror Turtle 8-10 feet and self-righting with enough force to do a double-somersault was impressive. I think it was opportunity they lacked, not power. Couldn't get under Storm2, couldn't get close enough to PP3D and only just got under the front of Apollo.

Back