Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Oh right.

This confuses me. Typhoon 2 was much better than PP3D.
PP3D had the potential, it just didn't quite go to plan. It sliced a great chunk off the side of Storm 2 here, actually breaking the armour of Storm 2, rather than shaking a few bolts out and a whole front bit falling off. It performed well, it just had really exposed and unreliable wheels here.

Well... maybe it's relative. It came from something ugly.

latest

Gotta kill fast! :P

PP3D had the potential, it just didn't quite go to plan. It sliced a great chunk off the side of Storm 2 here, actually breaking the armour of Storm 2, rather than shaking a few bolts out and a whole front bit falling off. It performed well, it just had really exposed and unreliable wheels here.

I do wonder how well Typhoon 2 would have done if they'd used it instead. The robots are so much stronger now that their tactic of run away, hit them once and gg probably wouldn't work anymore, leaving them much more vulnerable to flippers.

I still wish Bigger Brother had them flipped them over first instead of Colossus.

I still wish Bigger Brother had them flipped them over first instead of Colossus.
No way. Typhoon 2 100% deserved to be in the Grand Final. Watch their battle with Iron-Awe 2.1 again and tell me you wanted them out in Round 1. An unfortunate set of circumstances made the Final a bit of a farce, but you cannot take away the fact that they were fantastic up until that point.

All they ever did was run away. It as basically a spinning version of Mighty Mouse.

I just watched the teaser trailers back and noticed snippets for two more battles between robots not in the same heat. Of the six robots I've seen, two of them have already secured their place in the grand final, two of them have already failed to reach the grand final, and two of them appear next week. How that works with only one wild card in the final I don't know.

Nothing like a bit of obvious sexism. :lol:

Men working on Ironside 3 and the women giving out sandwiches. :lol:

Thermedor was disappointing.

Yeh. It was like a cheap knockoff Stinger. :lol:
It would be a bit of a farce, just not fun to watch either. Pulsar has a good shout if it wasn't a bit of a technical mystery at the moment. They need to sort their drive out.

Surely it's Thor or Behemoth for the Wild card spot? Thor was incredibly impressive I thought.

It would be a bit of a farce, just not fun to watch either. Pulsar has a good shout if it wasn't a bit of a technical mystery at the moment. They need to sort their drive out.

Surely it's Thor or Behemoth for the Wild card spot? Thor was incredibly impressive I thought.
Pulsar were impressive considering they had one less fight to gain the points. They do need to sort the drive out though but they have loads of time to do that.

How Gabriel managed to scrape their way to the heat final and take it to a judges' decision is beyond me! :lol:

This was by far the weakest heat, both in terms of robot quality and battle quality. Thermidor 2 is probably the most inconsistent robot in the history of Robot Wars. Semi-finalists in Series 4 and 7, first robot to throw two robots out of the arena in one fight, winner of the farcical flipper frenzy, runner-up in the Extreme Series 2 annihilator, and then going out in the first round of Series 5 and 6. Six of their nine losses to date were due to the robot breaking down. It was either gonna walk the heat or go out the first 10 seconds.

Chompalot were lucky to go through, but it's a hopelessly bad design that was never going to last.

Infernal Contraption had the same problems as 15 years ago; ineffective weapon and impossible to control.

Crazy Coupe 88 had two spinners, which logical meant were at half the power they could have been, and had aluminium step plate armour. Not good.

Beast had a pretty half-arsed flipper and was probably the most unreliable robot we've had. Armour is important!

Ironside 3 is not a bad design, but the bar is quite slow compared to a lot of others (i.e. Carbide and Pulsar) and only looked good because they were up against some pretty weak opposition, the self-righting arm was too slow as well.

Gabriel is basically a very unrefined version of Stinger. Axlebots always work well against flippers because their is virtually no body to flip, but because they're all wheels it makes them very vulnerable to spinners. The weapon actually can beat the crap out of other robots, but it's difficult to aim and control. I think they have the least chance of being chosen as a wild card.

I was expecting a lot more from Pulsar. Even when it was working fully the weapon wasn't nearly as destructive as I was expecting. After their elimination I reasoned that they would weazel their way back in due to some of the split-second footage in the trailers and at the beginning of each show. If they can't sort out their reliability they'll be going out in the elimination round.

I had previously posted about seeing snippets of fights in the trailers and at the beginning of each show between robots not in the same heat. Of the three that I saw, one is between two robots that have already qualified for the final, therefore resolved, one is between Carbide and one of the wild cards, but the other is between Eruption and Infernal Contraption...who have both already been eliminated and are not wild cards. How does that work?

Last edited:
I did a skim of this thread, is there a show called Robot Wars? Or are y'all talking about Battle Bots? Cause I've seen a few robot names here that sound familiar.

I did a skim of this thread, is there a show called Robot Wars? Or are y'all talking about Battle Bots? Cause I've seen a few robot names here that sound familiar.
There is a show called Robot Wars. It is quite different to Battle Bots.

Glad to see Pulsar pull through after an unfortunate but well aimed hit in the opening bout. 1 round less to score points, and I think that was why Gabriel were in the heat final. They got 3 of their 5 points against chompalot, an inferior robot to pulsar... Luck of the draw I guess.

Watching this last night, it looked to me like Pulsar was having an issue with the communication between it and the controls. Seems the most likely way in which a robot can keep "dying" only to have full drive back seconds later.

What do we think about Gabriel's mercy against Beast as well? I kind of like the way they respected the other team not to cause more damage (until they ASKED to be hit...) but that kind of thinking doesn't go far in Robot Wars...

Glad to see Pulsar pull through after an unfortunate but well aimed hit in the opening bout. 1 round less to score points, and I think that was why Gabriel were in the heat final. They got 3 of their 5 points against chompalot, an inferior robot to pulsar... Luck of the draw I guess.

Watching this last night, it looked to me like Pulsar was having an issue with the communication between it and the controls. Seems the most likely way in which a robot can keep "dying" only to have full drive back seconds later.

What do we think about Gabriel's mercy against Beast as well? I kind of like the way they respected the other team not to cause more damage (until they ASKED to be hit...) but that kind of thinking doesn't go far in Robot Wars...
Personally I thought it was a bit of a gimme to give them the full 3 points, Robot Wars is supposed to be brutal. Robots don't have feelings, they are made to be destroyed! :lol:

Nobody from Battle Bots has competed in Robot Wars (at least not in the main competition), but there are a few the other way around. i.e. Razer, Mortis and Killerhurtz

The driver said he continually lost communication and that he was frantically trying to switch the controller off and on again nu!erous times, but that the TV edit never showed any of it.

The driver said he continually lost communication and that he was frantically trying to switch the controller off and on again nu!erous times, but that the TV edit never showed any of it.

The highlights before the SHOCKING judges decision also conveniently cut out how it kept stopping. I think it was pretty obvious from the start that they wanted Pulsar to go through.

The highlights before the SHOCKING judges decision also conveniently cut out how it kept stopping. I think it was pretty obvious from the start that they wanted Pulsar to go through.

Didn't everyone?

Gabriel was boring. It couldn't inflict enough damage to win a fight outright, and was unable to sustain enough damage to lose outright. It just existed, flapping around tapping other robots until the countdown ended the fight. It got to the final mainly through luck rather than merit.

Pulsar was way off where they should have been. If the gremlins are fixed they should do alright in the final, but they will lose if they meet Carbide. Gabriel is far worse than Stinger. Their size is their only defence, the robot is out of control, made of hardened plastic, and can't dish out punishment like the others. If they'd won they'd be out straight away in the final.

Nobody from Battle Bots has competed in Robot Wars (at least not in the main competition), but there are a few the other way around. i.e. Razer, Mortis and Killerhurtz
Talking of which. What are the rule differences between the 2? I just wondered why the Razer team for example use Warhead for BB instead of Razer.

Talking of which. What are the rule differences between the 2? I just wondered why the Razer team for example use Warhead for BB instead of Razer.

The rules are basically the same. The robots are slightly heavier. Wins are awarded on damage, strategy, and aggression, and there are no house robots, so if the robots get stuck together someone has to enter arena and separate them. Competitors can also declare a time-out on their robot and essentially forfeit the match to stop their robot gettin destroyed.

With good reason. Gabriel sucks. :lol:

Back