Rocket League

• Thread starter evanzo7
  • 862 comments
@Jawehawk

I've just read that Rocket League and Jurassic World have teamed up for some DLC. I know it's not classic Jurassic park style but I have to assume this is quite interesting to you.

View attachment 740977

Muh '92 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition! I'd definitely buy that. Problem is that I, and I'm being serious here, actually uninstalled the game yesterday, after I came to the conclusion that I more often than not quit the game being very frustrated. It just isn't fun anymore. It's too competitive and serious.

But I might get back into it simply to drive around in one my all time favorite cars.

Muh '92 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition! I'd definitely buy that. Problem is that I, and I'm being serious here, actually uninstalled the game yesterday, after I came to the conclusion that I more often than not quit the game being very frustrated. It just isn't fun anymore. It's too competitive and serious.

But I might get back into it simply to drive around in one my all time favorite cars.
I had a feeling that one would turn your head :lol:

Get the game back but make a promise that you can only do rumble mode :dopey:

I had a feeling that one would turn your head :lol:

Get the game back but make a promise that you can only do rumble mode :dopey:

Is that the "weapons" mode? God no, that just add more for me to keep track off. I just suck at the game is all, and it frustrates the hell out of me when I know what to do, but the car just doesn't do it how I'd like. I reckon a complete newbie could probably give me a challenge in a 1V1.

Is that the "weapons" mode? God no, that just add more for me to keep track off. I just suck at the game is all, and it frustrates the hell out of me when I know what to do, but the car just doesn't do it how I'd like. I reckon a complete newbie could probably give me a challenge in a 1V1.
Yes that's the one.

I do know what you mean. Some days I'll play and it'll be going well, playing at a level I expect and know I can, then other days I'll just not be able to play and it'll feel almost like the controller is a bit broken or something.

Rocket League is free now on all platforms. The online mode is now in a season format like Fortnite does. The theme of the first season is Fortnite with unlockables as you level up such as the Fortnite bus vehicle shell. There are over 200 items given from the start though none of the starter items can be traded.

I've been playing it now that it is free, and completed the Lama Lama Stuff. Seems like I have better luck with 3v3 Rumble, than I can do on regular games. Somehow I ranked to Platinum II Division III, for my rank in 3v3 Rumble. Still need to work on Ariel shots, or just getting in the air, and I suck at that.

Also shameful self plug on one of my favorite goals I made.

So what are the new player challenges like? I've read there was a set of them that were meant to let free-to-play folks unlock stuff that's now marked "legacy" content, do they give you specific things like new car bodies/wheels/boosts/whatever, or is it all just earning the random drops?

So what are the new player challenges like? I've read there was a set of them that were meant to let free-to-play folks unlock stuff that's now marked "legacy" content, do they give you specific things like new car bodies/wheels/boosts/whatever, or is it all just earning the random drops?
Dont know about cars but I've had a few wheels and liveries. They're being really tight with the XP now too. I use to get ho to 8k for a win, 2-3 wins and I'd go up a level on rocket pass, now I get under 2k a win.

Dont know about cars but I've had a few wheels and liveries. They're being really tight with the XP now too. I use to get ho to 8k for a win, 2-3 wins and I'd go up a level on rocket pass, now I get under 2k a win.
Yeah, they changed the 10 weekly wins to 3 daily ones, and it looks like the XP yield is a fair bit lower if you don't have the premium rocket pass boosts active. On the plus side though, the llama event going on has a repeatable challenge that gives you 10k every 10 matches you play, so that should help out for the next couple of weeks at least. And the weekly events aren't too crazy and will give a pretty decent bump when they're completed. I imagine after they've had enough time to get the free players hooked, that's when the treadmill really kicks in, but for now it seems fairly generous.

They really need to make item trading more convenient though. I have a fair amount of duplicate stuff I'd love to just give away to folks, but even just arranging a trade session is near impossible without using an outside website (and screw that). It'd be nice if I could ping someone from the scoreboard during a match to let them know I'd like to trade afterwards.

I hope F2P gets more of you new birds on board and invested.

@Silent Drifter, it'll take a good amount of dedicated practice if you wish to start leveling up mechanic skill in a short amount of time. I said the exact same thing you did when I logged 20 hours into the game.

Yeah, they changed the 10 weekly wins to 3 daily ones, and it looks like the XP yield is a fair bit lower if you don't have the premium rocket pass boosts active. On the plus side though, the llama event going on has a repeatable challenge that gives you 10k every 10 matches you play, so that should help out for the next couple of weeks at least. And the weekly events aren't too crazy and will give a pretty decent bump when they're completed. I imagine after they've had enough time to get the free players hooked, that's when the treadmill really kicks in, but for now it seems fairly generous.

They really need to make item trading more convenient though. I have a fair amount of duplicate stuff I'd love to just give away to folks, but even just arranging a trade session is near impossible without using an outside website (and screw that). It'd be nice if I could ping someone from the scoreboard during a match to let them know I'd like to trade afterwards.
Will be interesting to see if this amounts to the same level ups. I did level up a few times last night.

They really need to make item trading more convenient though. I have a fair amount of duplicate stuff I'd love to just give away to folks, but even just arranging a trade session is near impossible without using an outside website (and screw that).

Try RLTracker.pro.

You can post what you're offering and decided on what you want for it, and just let that sit, because people can sort these trade offers by items they're looking for.

Try RLTracker.pro.

You can post what you're offering and decided on what you want for it, and just let that sit, because people can sort these trade offers by items they're looking for.
Yeah, nah. As I said, I don't care to sign up on an external website to trade in-game items. And I don't really want anything in return anyway, my interest was more in giving a present to any new players who I felt did really well in a match we'd just been in.

Besides, after several years of trading Team Fortress 2 items, I think my wheeling and dealing days are well behind me. :P

Idk about the trading stuff but I have been playing this game and loving it for about the last month.

Reviving this old general thread to see how many GTPer's still play Rocket League and if there was interest in forming a Rocket League "Club" where we can get together and practice/train/play etc.

Reviving this old general thread to see how many GTPer's still play Rocket League and if there was interest in forming a Rocket League "Club" where we can get together and practice/train/play etc.

I haven't stopped since June 2016. Still playing today. I play on Steam, you can add my epic account is ChubbyDolphin910 if you're not on Steam. Definitely down to play with more people. I don't care for the rank, but it's good to know as it may drastically change the players we're up against.

I'm basically Champ1-3 between all modes except Drop Shot and Duel. Yourself?

I haven't stopped since June 2016. Still playing today. I play on Steam, you can add my epic account is ChubbyDolphin910 if you're not on Steam. Definitely down to play with more people. I don't care for the rank, but it's good to know as it may drastically change the players we're up against.

I'm basically Champ1-3 between all modes except Drop Shot and Duel. Yourself?
Well... the last time I was playing ranked I think I made it into Platinum, but I'm still shaking off the rust but getting my game back every day. So I'd say I'm high gold low plat if I actually took ranked seriously, but I've mostly been messing around in casual for the last month or so.

Well... the last time I was playing ranked I think I made it into Platinum, but I'm still shaking off the rust but getting my game back every day. So I'd say I'm high gold low plat if I actually took ranked seriously, but I've mostly been messing around in casual for the last month or so.

Let's play together in that case! Left my handle in the previous post. I play quite frequently, but trying to cut back from playing daily to make more time for beneficial life changes.

If you're on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/aos777

I'm basically Champ1-3 between all modes except Drop Shot and Duel.
That's a good standard of play! Out of interest, how good are you at driving games? I'm a bit surprised that the skill transfer doesn't seem to be as high as I'd expected when I watch Windfire and Deafsun playing:

Despite them both being Gran Turismo world tour standard players, Deafsun is only about as good at Rocket League as I am, and Windfire is much worse. I had expected that such good Gran Turismo players would have amazing car control in Rocket League, and also superb awareness of other players and what their future actions might be, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Have you found it harder to get the same rank in the last few months? I'm low to mid Champ 1 in 3v3 (solo queue) at the moment, which isn't much different to a year ago, but in 2v2 it seems way harder, I've been close to Champ 3 in the past but now barely scrape into Champ 1.

Based on last season's rank distributions, mid C1 3v3 is probably around top 3%, whereas I can generally set top 1% times in Forza rivals, I feel like it's easier to get to a given % standard in Forza rivals than Rocket League.

That's a good standard of play! Out of interest, how good are you at driving games?

I don't consider myself that great, but I do put an effort into time trials and finessing the job such as with braking, throttle control, and seeing the best line I can exit at faster speeds with.

On the note about transferrable skills, the skills required in driving games (assuming we're using a simulator or anything remotely close to one) and Rocket League are so vastly different.

Driving a car requires you to understand all the nuances in physics that happen, such as weight transfer, throttle control, counter steering, threshold braking. You're also only looking one direction and going one direction. Steering would jsut be a change of that direction.... but you're always moving forward.

In Rocket League, to me, it's a constant assessment of where you are in space relative to the ball, especially when you start dealing with aerial play. I've always attributed to aerial control (and air dribbles) to playing Asteroid (1979), but with gravity, and a 3rd dimension to account for. You need to account for your position in space, your speed and direction of travel, as well as the ball's speed and trajectory. In my mind, there's a line I'm always drawing in my mind where the ball is going to travel, and I have picture the line I need to take to meet it in time... sort like flying a space ship to collide into a moving asteroid. There's a lot of calculation you have to do that you just don't do with a steering wheel and rubber tires.

I've been actively playing Rocket League for 7.5 years now, but not focused on any training routines. I've only been learning to get more comfortable landing flip reset setups off the wall, but it's not at a level I can depend on in a match.

Have you found it harder to get the same rank in the last few months? I'm low to mid Champ 1 in 3v3 (solo queue) at the moment, which isn't much different to a year ago, but in 2v2 it seems way harder, I've been close to Champ 3 in the past but now barely scrape into Champ 1.

Based on last season's rank distributions, mid C1 3v3 is probably around top 3%, whereas I can generally set top 1% times in Forza rivals, I feel like it's easier to get to a given % standard in Forza rivals than Rocket League.
Barely more difficult, but they tweaked some values on the backend that would queue with a wider skill-range of players, but I'm still more or less where I need to be.

I also think that most people with a lick of driving competence will land in Forza's top 1% because of how many user accounts are playing this game. I've never not landed anything less than, and I'm not even trying to brag.

On the note about transferrable skills, the skills required in driving games (assuming we're using a simulator or anything remotely close to one) and Rocket League are so vastly different.
I guess what I'm really talking about is maybe talent transfer rather than transfer at such a specific level as the skills you're talking about.

I've played quite a few different games with a friend, and I'm much better than him at all of them, so in that sense games as diverse as Counter-strike, Forza Horizon, Rocket League and Age of Empires all seem to require similar abilities to the extent that I'm much better than him at all of them.

What made me reply, though, is I just watched this video of a guy setting a Rocket Racing world record. I've made it a spoiler as it contains some swearing:

At the end of the video it took me onto a video of his RL highlights, and he's clearly a highly skilled player. I looked at his tracker and he reached SSL in 2v2 by the end of the last couple of seasons. So his mechanical skill/talent seems to be transferring across nicely, he's much better than me at both games!

Back