Rocket League

• Thread starter evanzo7
  • 862 comments
I wouldn't like to go back and see how much I spent on Crates:eek:

As I say I don't have a problem with the money I spent on Crates for the same reason, It was a game I enjoyed and got a lot of value out of so I didn't mind supporting it. Plus, If you wanted nice customisation pieces there was little choice. I think I was fairly lucky over the span of me opening crates, Which I guess makes me not hate the system that much. If I was really unlucky and didn't get anything of value? Then I guess I'd feel a bit differently.

I'm fairly happy with my items now so I doubt I'll bother opening any crates again. Other than dabbling with the seasonal ones.

I would way prefer just buying skin and item packs than spinning my luck for things, I hope it's found in that investigation ongoing that it is indeed gambling, Than that is probably what they will do.

I opened my first crate using the snowflakes thing. Didn't realise you just get one single thing from the crates.

I opened my first crate using the snowflakes thing. Didn't realise you just get one single thing from the crates.

Yeah, It's always one item from any of the crates.

That could be maybe something they could do to improve the system aswell. You get 3 things that appear and you get to choose one if them.

I support the idea of charging a decent amount of change for really nice cosmetics.... kind of the same way BMDs garner 20+ keys most of the time.

It can be a simple model of pricing lesser appealing items for $1, flashier cooler (dare I say animated light-up) items for $3, and the cream of the crop for $5.

That would definitely eliminate the gambling factor of pulling crates and provide a more constant flow of income, but could potentially stagnate spikes in income (if) the current crate system is already doing a wonderful job of pulling in suckers to triple swipe their credit cards on a full pack of keys.

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocket-league-roadmap-summer-2018/

Intresting.

- So Psyonix is adopting a fortnite style pass system with a free and premium path for Cosmetics and Items.

It should be this or the crates though imo. Having both is just plain greed and money grabbing at this point.

- Cross platform parties are coming....
Yaaaaaay only 2 years too late.

- Progression changes are cool but who really cares about leveling up in Rocket League. The free item would be cool every now and then i guess.

Finally they remove the cap. I've seen on another game where the first 20 ranks are fixed XP amounts, and after that, it's percentage based, which makes more sense to continually accommodate the growth of players.

Also, that free path for cosmetic items is good. One thing that fails in gacha/lottery systems is the abundance of common items that no one has a desire to keep.

The fact that we went from stopping at 4 Super Rare trails to now painted toppers/wheels has prolonged the trade-up lifespan exponentially. At some point in time, you're going to get all the super rare items from as a drop. Trading up all your dupe uncommons and rares wasn't going to last long with so little options afterwards.

I recently traded up the super rares and got untradeable Orange Neptune wheels. This is awfully nice for those who can't keep up in the market with everyone wanting keys for everything. I don't foresee this wrecking the key business either as crates will still be the biggest incentive for people to drop big bucks for that one lucky roll.

Finally they remove the cap. I've seen on another game where the first 20 ranks are fixed XP amounts, and after that, it's percentage based, which makes more sense to continually accommodate the growth of players.

Also, that free path for cosmetic items is good. One thing that fails in gacha/lottery systems is the abundance of common items that no one has a desire to keep.

So you care about the level ups? I just see it as a meter for how much people have played. All you get currently are meaningless titles. I wish could have cool customisable titles, Instead of Rocketeer etc. Maybe we could make our own. I think this is possible on PC with the alpha console thingy.

I also think adding icons to your player card would be a good idea also. I would like people to know i have chat off, Rather than people thinking im ignoring their Nice shots and other compliments/insults.

Last edited:
So you care about the level ups? I just see it as a meter for how much people have played. All you get currently are meaningless titles. I wish could have cool customisable titles, Instead of Rocketeer etc. Maybe we could make our own. I think this is possible on PC with the alpha console thingy.

I also think adding icons to your player card would be a good idea also. I would like people to know i have chat off, Rather than people thinking im ignoring their Nice shots and other compliments/insults.
I don't care in the way you may be thinking, but when a level system has a definitive end, that's a system that doesn't hold its value in the long term.

I don't care in the way you may be thinking, but when a level system has a definitive end, that's a system that doesn't hold its value in the long term.

Yeah i get what you mean. I think thats the one thing Call Of Duty has done great over the years. Near limitless but meaningful progression, Also with call of duty there was a better payoff than just having "Rocketeer" under your name. There was countless customisation items and other more practical incentives for leveling up/prestiging (create a class slots/Weapon attachments/perks)

The new system encourages play rather than the random nature of item drops now.

I'm in for sure. The quest for Diamond continues.

The bell curve dropped so much I managed to get Champ 1 in 3s.

And that was only after 10 placement matches. I'm not even trying to hit Champ, but oh well, I get I secured myself purple stuff for Season 7.... or whatever season we're in now.

The bell curve dropped so much I managed to get Champ 1 in 3s.

And that was only after 10 placement matches. I'm not even trying to hit Champ, but oh well, I get I secured myself purple stuff for Season 7.... or whatever season we're in now.

As long as you got the 10 wins while in champ.

JvM
As long as you got the 10 wins while in champ.

It was season reset, so I was going in with no rank. Gratned we won most of our placement matches, I didn't feel like I did anything extraordinary to get there. I sued to be as high as Diamond, but that was it.

It was season reset, so I was going in with no rank. Gratned we won most of our placement matches, I didn't feel like I did anything extraordinary to get there. I sued to be as high as Diamond, but that was it.

I was just talking about the season rewards, where you need 10 wins in the rank to get them.

Fancied playing Ranked solos(i dont know why either) these last few days so i played all my placement matches in Solo Duel and after the 10 i was Diamond 3. Pretty happy with that as i hadn't touched ranked for a couple of seasons let alone 1v1s. So feeling pretty happy and confident i played my first two ranked games. 1st one i won, Lost a division!!! 🤬 2nd one narrow loss, Down a rank:censored: Goodbye ranked. What a waste of time.

Last edited:
Goodbye ranked. What a waste of time.

Ah but if you won, it's not a waste of time then, ya?

Time is wasted either way. Ranking up in your job is more valuable than video games anyway.

Time is wasted either way. Ranking up in your job is more valuable than video games anyway.

Waste of time as in i could have wasted my time some other way. Seasons on FIFA/madden playing BF1... Atleast those games realise wins from losses.

And coming from the guy that has documented his many hundreds of hours on this game i find that quite rich :lol:

If i knew my rank wouldnt go up for winning i would have just stuck with unranked/rumble.

Last edited:

Well by the sounds of it he loses rank whether he wins or loses so either result would have been a waste of time if he wanted to progress and rank up.

And if you think playing games is a waste of time regardless of whether you win or lose why have you spent 100s of hours on Rocket League? Why are you even on the gaming forum? Most people don't find games to be a waste of time as they're enjoyable way to spend it, but that usually depends on the game being fair with meaningful progression, so it's completely understandable that he wouldn't find it fun if the game is de-ranking him for winning games.

There are plenty of better things to do than play video games for 2200+ hours. Just because I've played the game that much and love it doesn't mean I don't think it's not a waste of time. When I use the term "waste of time", I'm really saying "better things to do", and I don't know about you, there are plenty of more things I equally enjoy doing that I find are much more fulfilling and rewarding than ranking up in a game. It's just hard to break out of routine if you know what I mean.

And to answer your question, I'm primarily on a video game forum for non-video game things. Believe it or not.

There are plenty of better things to do than play video games for 2200+ hours. Just because I've played the game that much and love it doesn't mean I don't think it's not a waste of time. When I use the term "waste of time", I'm really saying "better things to do", and I don't know about you, there are plenty of more things I equally enjoy doing that I find are much more fulfilling and rewarding than ranking up in a game. It's just hard to break out of routine if you know what I mean.

And to answer your question, I'm primarily on a video game forum for non-video game things. Believe it or not.

My feeling that i wasnt the one that deserved your original reply is only stronger now. 2200 hours? Wow.

If you win a game you're not actually losing any ranks/divisions. What usually happens is you lose the prior match and lose some amount of ranked points that puts you into a lower division/rank. Then you win the next match and don't regain the same amount of points, leaving you in that lower division. If the game never managed to show you that you lost the division in the first place, like if you leave a match before the results screen, it'll show you on the next game where you actually won, making it seem like you lost points despite winning. It's a weird bug that's been around for a while.

Important thing is you're not actually losing points if you win. That'd be daft. @MILO you probably deranked the very next lost game because, since you just finished your 10 placement matches, your rank changes more wildly than if you'd have played more matches. This is a system meant to more quickly put you into the correct rank.

My apologies if I was too direct. I try to offer other perspectives when people share theirs.

No problem, I understand what you were trying to say. I just felt the whole "theres better things to do" routine a bit unnecessary.

If you win a game you're not actually losing any ranks/divisions. What usually happens is you lose the prior match and lose some amount of ranked points that puts you into a lower division/rank. Then you win the next match and don't regain the same amount of points, leaving you in that lower division. If the game never managed to show you that you lost the division in the first place, like if you leave a match before the results screen, it'll show you on the next game where you actually won, making it seem like you lost points despite winning. It's a weird bug that's been around for a while.

Important thing is you're not actually losing points if you win. That'd be daft. @MILO you probably deranked the very next lost game because, since you just finished your 10 placement matches, your rank changes more wildly than if you'd have played more matches. This is a system meant to more quickly put you into the correct rank.

Ah i see that makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

It's worth a shot I guess... this season me and my buddy finally reached diamond in 2s. It was painful, and took several weeks. We first got his 10 victories, he deranked and then we got my 10, after some frustration and downranking back to plat back and forth. The highest rank we ever got was Diamond I div 2.

We play in the USW servers and would love a chill third to try and get Diamond in Standard this upcoming season. Preferably Plat 3. 👍

Ninja edit: Steam.

Last edited:
@Jawehawk

I've just read that Rocket League and Jurassic World have teamed up for some DLC. I know it's not classic Jurassic park style but I have to assume this is quite interesting to you.

FB_IMG_1528133472621.jpg

Back