Round 03: 6 Hours of Silverstone

• Thread starter AJ
  • 101 comments
That BMW is a piece of 🤬

It would just go completely unexpectedly no matter how careful I was and slowly creeping round. That just was no fun :(

Well done guys 👍

What was your best lap out there True-blue? I was using 3rd and 4th instead of 2nd gear trying to keep the car pointing straight. And even then it'd snap sideways in 5th gear!

What was your best lap out there True-blue? I was using 3rd and 4th instead of 2nd gear trying to keep the car pointing straight. And even then it'd snap sideways in 5th gear!
1.21 something :/

that's exactly what I was doing mate, even with 75% throttle you just didn't know what the car was going to do :lol:

But top job mate you looked quick out there 👍

In between resetting yeah... doesn't matter how fast you are when you lose 2 laps like that. I can say that I was driving pretty angry as a result, super frustrating.
And I was using 50% throttle in 4th gear at under 100km/h and she still wanted to kill me!

Results Publication

- Hour 3 Provisional Classification now available.

Results Publication

- Hour 4 Provisional Classification now available.

Good race everybody, it was a pleasure to drive and do this race. Saw lots of sportsmanship and had absolutely no trouble with anyone even with heavy rain lol.

Despite what happens with the results, congratz to all drivers, teams and organizers.

Great race everyone .

Really enjoyed the last 15-20 laps had pfeffer 1-2 seconds behind me for it made the race to the line very intresting .
I had @Lion-Face face behind me as well. Almost beat him to the flag but contact in Vale corner sealed the deal. I'm sure it was unintentional and didn't really affect anything being 2 corners from the flag. It was a fun race! Now on to Suzuka, in case you thought Silverstone was "spooky."

Good race everybody, it was a pleasure to drive and do this race. Saw lots of sportsmanship and had absolutely no trouble with anyone even with heavy rain lol.

Despite what happens with the results, congratz to all drivers, teams and organizers.

Indeed, it was funny how we got into a battle not even being in the same class. The R18 just can't put power down, even in the dry.

I had @Lion-Face face behind me as well. Almost beat him to the flag but contact in Vale corner sealed the deal. I'm sure it was unintentional and didn't really affect anything being 2 corners from the flag. It was a fun race! Now on to Suzuka, in case you thought Silverstone was "spooky."

I thought it may have been contact. I didn't mean to, and on my screen I didn't hit you, but did notice you move weirdly. I took it slow, but when I saw you slow also, I just put my foot down. Was just having fun in the last few laps, as you were the only LMP1 car I saw during my whole 2nd stint. Was good racing, sorry to bump you like that.

I may be the lone voice in the wild here but I was really disappointed at the conditions we had to race in. I feel that we should have emulated real world behavior where action is taken until conditions are 'safe' for the drivers.

Considering drivers aren't at risk of causing harm to themselves, conditions will always be 'safe' for the drivers. I don't really know what you are getting at here? Was the car difficult to control? We were all in the same boat, and we all had to drive around it. It made for some brilliant racing and mixed things up nicely. Would have been great to watch on the stream!

I may be the lone voice in the wild here but I was really disappointed at the conditions we had to race in. I feel that we should have emulated real world behaviour where action is taken until conditions are 'safe' for the drivers.
Im not sure how it was for everybody else, but I felt safe at all times, just took extra caution. luckily I didnt get into any incidents

Indeed, it was funny how we got into a battle not even being in the same class. The R18 just can't put power down, even in the dry.

It was a pleasure to drive and battle you hehe :) I can imagine that it was a "pain" to drive those cars in the rain, I felt it in mine too but I guess it was benefitial having less power.

I don't really know what you are getting at here?

To have the time I put into practicing, tweaking the car to run competitive laps, running many simulated stints to work out an optimum strategy and then staying up till 2AM for my stint, all reduced to waste when I show up and have to tip-toe around the track in atrocious weather was very disappointing for me personally.

The other point I was making was that if this series is attempting to replicate the WEC, then we should attempt to simulate everything, including concerns about driver safety (even if they are warm and comfy at home).

To have the time I put into practicing, tweaking the car to run competitive laps, running many simulated stints to work out an optimum strategy and then staying up till 2AM for my stint, all reduced to waste when I show up and have to tip-toe around the track in atrocious weather was very disappointing for me personally.

The other point I was making was that if this series is attempting to replicate the WEC, then we should attempt to simulate everything, including concerns about driver safety (even if they are warm and comfy at home).
difference is we don't get hurt playing a game in bad weather

We practiced just as much and then practiced that same amount of time in the rain. Always have to prepare for rain at every race.

difference is we don't get hurt playing a game in bad weather
Good point but as a precedent did we not have Safety Cars at Daytona for rain? I'm sure we saw one at least, or I'm just too tired to remember things. :lol:

We practiced just as much and then practiced that same amount of time in the rain. Always have to prepare for rain at every race.

Exactly. Each of our drivers has both a wet and a dry setup, and extensive practice in both dry and 100% wet conditions. Organizers should not be blamed for an individual's or a team's lack of preparation. We all know weather is ALWAYS a concern in each event.

I believe the Daytona Safety Cars were to allow drivers to safely change to intermediate/wet tyres. Silverstone started at 100% wet and race direction told us to start on the full wet tyres. There was no need for a safety car to get everyone onto wet tyres, as they should have already been on them.
With Daytona an increase in rain % also saw a spate of cars flying off the road so an SC made sense.

How do you guys interpret what I'm saying to 'lack of preparation' and 'blaming organisers for rain'?
Of course we prepared for rain and had setups for it.
Did this make it less disappointing? No.
Should the race director have taken action because the intensity of the rain would be dangerous in real life? Yes, I believe so.

I believe the Daytona Safety Cars were to allow drivers to safely change to intermediate/wet tyres. Silverstone started at 100% wet and race direction told us to start on the full wet tyres. There was no need for a safety car to get everyone onto wet tyres, as they should have already been on them.
With Daytona an increase in rain % also saw a spate of cars flying off the road so an SC made sense.
This is more sense, if the rain is st the start of the race then drivers will be told to start on Inters or Wets. But if the rain suddenly does a Malaysian F1 Qualifying (randomly toss it down) and more than half the field have been caught out and are spinning off at unimaginable speeds then that's when SC is acceptable. 👍

Back