Round 23: Monterey Sports Car Championships

• Thread starter AJ
  • 120 comments
Very satisfied with our first GT4 win, and my 1st personal!
The start was a thriller, on parade lap a KTM rammed me from behind, and I bounced and bumped into the black GT86, damaging both front suspensions. I had to make a decision, I made a pair of corners at low speed with a shaky wheel and I thought "meh, it's driveable for me"
And it was, I was just a bit off my pace, but I've been able to build a consistent gap anyways. With 20mins to my first stop, an M3 GT2 had a lag-spike into my side lapping me, which damaged even more my front left suspension....again, it was driveable to me, a bit sideways on straight, but when **** happens, you gotta deal with it.
Finally after the 1st hour stop the wheel became lighter, and with the car fixed, I was just flying. With some minutes to my driver change, I couldn't believe to my eyes when I caught up with the 2nd position GT4 Amuse. I knew he wouldn't have let me pass, so I made a brave move and I made it from the external line at corkscrew. Very proud of that overtake. So we did the driver change with, thoerically, 1 lap advantage on everybody in our class, so sk8 was like on a red carpet for the win. And he has been one of the fastest GT4 driver on 2nd stint aswell!!
Fantastic job team, nice revenge after the delusion of BH12, I'm very proud of ourselves :cheers:

Last edited:
Very satisfied with our first GT4 win, and my 1st personal!
The start was a thriller, on parade lap a KTM rammed me from behind, and I bounced and bumped into the black GT86, damaging both front suspensions. I had to make a decision, I made a pair of corners at low speed with a shaky wheel and I thought "meh, it's driveable for me"
And it was, I was just a bit off my pace, but I've been able to build a consistent gap anyways. With 20mins to my first stop, an M3 GT2 had a lag-spike into my side lapping me, which damaged even more my front left suspension....again, it was driveable to me, a bit sideways on straight, but when **** happens, you gotta deal with it.
Finally after the 1st hour stop the wheel became lighter, and with the car fixed, I was just flying. With some minutes to my driver change, I couldn't believe to my eyes when I caught up with the 2nd position GT4 Amuse. I knew he wouldn't have let me pass, so I made a brave move and I made it from the external line at corkscrew. Very proud of that overtake. So we did the driver change with, thoerically, 1 lap advantage on everybody in our class, so sk8 was like on a red carpet for the win. And he has been one of the fastest GT4 driver on 2nd stint aswell!!
Fantastic job team, nice revenge after the delusion of BH12, I'm very proud of ourselves :cheers:
That blue 380 later blocked me too. Despite being a second and a half a lap faster I was stuck behind him for about 5 laps :P very exciting though. I was shaking. :lol:

Well, that was a weekend to remember!

Originally heading in this race running 2 cars, planning to start the #51 myself, it all changed with the unfortunate news regarding @lorddragonKD and we again pass our condolences onto those affected. Withdrawing the car to let Can Am get a spot to race in his memory was the only thing I was going to do and they drove their wheels off for him! Well done guys, great job at such a difficult time.

We then re-submitted and changed our entries after this before the deadline and had to work it out with one driver not making the race and most likely not making qualifying - hence DaBomb330's absence, but life throws all sorts of things at you and we worked out a solution.

Pole was a welcome start as although just needing classification to take the title, aiming for 4 wins out of 5 and @Domma taking the driver's title would be so much better.

We decided on a strategy that would allow for a Safety Car and possible red flag in late race, but weren't 100% expecting it to happen. This meant @TNR_5zigen was first in the car to hopefully build up a good lead. Which he did. A safe, clean run with good pace and no mistakes meant that we had a 3 lap lead by the time the red flag was called. We took the Safety Car laps before that as a chance to do a free driver swap which would give Domma the rest of the race to finish at a comfortable pace. In the end it was about 30-odd minutes of running which he cruised through to take the driver's title and more than secure us the team title.

All of this was planned (including the magical Safety Car prediction), by our very own @StigsTC who ran the numbers perfectly, showing that a team really is the sum of its parts.

Turtle Racing League had great pace but it was a shame that @Beau Albert couldn't make it to join GTP_Caine to put in some more fast laps and shake things up in the final part after the red flag.

ROOZ showed promise with @TNR_KING_FILO and @cameronburner but without time to practice their consistency was lacking, but we are confident with a proper testing programme they'd have been a force to be reckoned with. Our original partner to Domma was going to be TNR_FILO who has been racing with the MWM Racers Collective for nearly 12 months, but he calculated his driver cap to be 1 race short, so offered DaBomb330 as a supplement; who hosted our DTM series for the past 2 months. However with life problems in the way we had to find a 3rd driver for the role in TNR_5zigen who's been racing against us intermittently since December last year, finally giving Domma a partner to drive with. And then we found out FILO had miscounted and found his way into the #15 Rooz car!

Congratulations to @FutureF1 on getting 2nd in the driver's championship, denying us the unlikely 1-2 we dreamed of. @TRL_Andromeda had good pace and we were hoping to see him go toe-to-toe with TNR_5zigen but unfortunately this never materialised.

Many thanks again to AJ, @littleregret265 and @Peelster1 for organising and running the event, plus @andrewsufc91 and @Tom for providing excellent commentary as always.

What a finale and a great end to the season for Team MWM Racers Collective.

Not the best of finishes to the season but LMP3 is a nest of vipers, so well done to MWM, Inferno TRL on their performances through out the season.

It wasn't the most ideal of preparations for this race, less than a week to go before the race it became clear no one on my team wanted to drive in this race except for @TNR_KING_FILO, with qualifying and the race running right up until the start of the Bathurst 1000 I should have seen this coming. Whilst I think my dire internet issues have been solved, it still wasn't worth risking, so I must extend a huge thanks to @cameronburner for filling in that second spot.

The pace in the race was good, but Filo's controller was plaguing him, and he had a major accident after he became stuck in look back mode. A huge shame but it certainly didn't cost us the race, to get that far ahead even before the safety car/red flag is just insane. Burner had excellent pace too, and the battle with Andromeda was enthralling, with some epic overtaking, but too many mistakes ultimately gifted Inferno 2nd. Burner was very upset and sorry after the race but as we've all seen throughout this championship, sometimes 🤬 happens and you've got to just accept what happened and focus on the next race. (Ironically enough all 3 of us will be driving elsewhere at Spa!) He still did a fantastic job and provided excellent entertainment.

I'm a little disappointed that we didn't end up winning a race this season, I'm kicking myself I didn't apply for this class at the start as Silverstone and Monza would have been a treat to do with Warrior. 3rd in the championship is nothing to dismiss, this class with a very stupid handling car was fantastic to be a part of and hats off to MWM for crushing us all into submission. It was a great season.

Cheers, Jono.

Looks like we win the championship by 3 pts against all odds. Congrats to my guys who would have locked it up the race before less the politics.

Interesting this though, yet no penalties.... In theory we're the only GT4 team that should be classified.

download_20151011_182922.png

Edit: Just a miscommunication. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:
So, with this LSM are the new GT4 World Champions . A great rivals the whole season and a great champions since yesterday. Our best greetings to you.
On our part, this has been our dreamed debut in this series with a silver medal. It is hard for us to write in english our thanks to the Promoters, to the Teams and to the drivers, who made this possible. We hope to see to all of you the next year!

Special mention to our drivers who gave the best of theirs the whole season and finally we want to thank @StigsTC and @Hayden norris who drove with us in Nurburgring 24H. They are a big part of our success too.

GTR Blackhawks finishes his participation this year. Road to 2016!

1-quebec.autoblogcom.jpg

Looks like we win the championship by 3 pts against all odds. Congrats to my guys who would have locked it up the race before less the politics.

Interesting this though, yet no penalties.... In theory we're the only GT4 team that should be classified.

View attachment 461140
Where is that posted? I don't see it. That rule was removed months ago to help avoid mass disconnections.

So, with this LSM are the new GT4 World Champions . A great rivals the whole season and a great champions since yesterday. Our best greetings to you.
On our part, this has been our dreamed debut in this series with a silver medal. It is hard for us to write in english our thanks to the Promoters, to the Teams and to the drivers, who made this possible. We hope to see to all of you the next year!

Special mention to our drivers who gave the best of theirs the whole season and finally we want to thank @StigsTC and @Hayden norris who drove with us in Nurburgring 24H. They are a big part of our success too.

GTR Blackhawks finishes his participation this year. Road to 2016!

1-quebec.autoblogcom.jpg

You guys were wicked fast all season. Some awful luck for you last race kept things interesting, but we really enjoyed fighting with you all season. Very fun when you get to race with people as fast and clean as you guys are! :cheers: Congrats on a heck of a season and we hope to find ourselves on track with you somewhere in the future.

Where is that posted? I don't see it. That rule was removed months ago to help avoid mass disconnections.

Question was posed about lobby stability and the above was confirmed to us, which now looks quite curious... In the end with the red flag it wouldn't have mattered much as most would have changed then like us, but sucks we were playing by different rules.

Have to give huge congrats to our full season co-drivers @TMR and @Jasogreeno for pulling this out. Jaso came in with some racing experience but was basically brand new to GT at the beginning of the season. For TMR man you've come a long way in a year and a half since we did our own 24 Hour of Nurburgring. It was an up and down year with the highest of highs and the lowest and most frustrating lows but my hats off to you two! :cheers:

All in all, with all of the crazy bad luck, random circumstance and other events we delt with we had an unbelievable time hanging out as a group of friends, practicing, racing and doing a bit of celebratory drinking. Thanks @AJ and everyone else who made it possible. All we want to do is race.

We'll be heading to the local kart track to celebrate!

The rules were not intentionally broken by DRR. :cheers: and if they were broken then we deserve the penalty. But we won by 2 lap so it wouldn't matter. :)

I made a prototype GT4 BoP for next year. I got a 57.7 with all of them in single player at Silverstone national or international... the one with copse and harpin.

All cars:
Flat floor required
Rear wing optional (must be same with all drivers throughout a race weekend)
No turbos or super chargers allowed

DB9 '06:
Simulates a '11 Vantage GT4

Real BoP:
"Over 400hp"
1350kg

GTPES BoP:
400 hp
1375 kg

Z34 '08:
Simulates Z34 GT Academy GT4 '12

Real BoP:
410hp
1300kg

GTPES BoP:
400hp
1375kg

M3 chrome line:
Simulates '09 M3 GT4

Real BoP:
480hp
1430kg

GTPES BoP:
425hp
1430kg

My real BoP sources were:

BMW
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393417

370Z
http://forums.nissansportz.com/topic/31369-nissan-370z-gt4-spec-specification/

Vantage
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Vantage_GT4

So what do you guys think?

The rules were not intentionally broken by DRR. :cheers: and if they were broken then we deserve the penalty. But we won by 2 lap so it wouldn't matter. :)

Nah man just a miscommunication is all, you guys drove a brilliant race and deserve all the credit for the victory.

Honestly we may not have had our 2nd driver classified had we thought it was only 1 change due to the red flag so it all worked out in the end.

Nah man just a miscommunication is all, you guys drove a brilliant race and deserve all the credit for the victory.

Honestly we may not have had our 2nd driver classified had we thought it was only 1 change due to the red flag so it all worked out in the end.

Thank you. Conte made it easy for me. :lol: check out my last post I edited it. :)

I made a prototype GT4 BoP for next year. I got a 57.7 with all of them in single player at Silverstone national or international... the one with copse and harpin.

All cars:
Flat floor required
Rear wing optional (must be same with all drivers throughout a race weekend)
No turbos or super chargers allowed

DB9 '06:
Simulates a '11 Vantage GT4

Real BoP:
"Over 400hp"
1350kg

GTPES BoP:
400 hp
1375 kg

Z34 '08:
Simulates Z34 GT Academy GT4 '12

Real BoP:
410hp
1300kg

GTPES BoP:
400hp
1375kg

M3 chrome line:
Simulates '09 M3 GT4

Real BoP:
480hp
1430kg

GTPES BoP:
425hp
1430kg

My real BoP sources were:

BMW
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393417

370Z
http://forums.nissansportz.com/topic/31369-nissan-370z-gt4-spec-specification/

Vantage
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Vantage_GT4

So what do you guys think?
I like your concept Sk8er, I actually was thinking in the same vein before the cars were decided for the GT4 season for 2015, but the lap times could possibly be unreasonably fast compared to the real world cars, thanks to very grippy Racing Hard tires (or at least that's what I concluded many months ago, though I wasn't a part of the car selection for the class). The Z34 would be fun for sure, and I'd like to see the Vantage out there, though it'd be so much more user friendly with a V8. Of course, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I can't forget to mention that it was great racing with you guys this season, and congrats on your win yesterday.

I like your concept Sk8er, I actually was thinking in the same vein before the cars were decided for the GT4 season for 2015, but the lap times could possibly be unreasonably fast compared to the real world cars, thanks to very grippy Racing Hard tires (or at least that's what I concluded many months ago, though I wasn't a part of the car selection for the class). The Z34 would be fun for sure, and I'd like to see the Vantage out there, though it'd be so much more user friendly with a V8. Of course, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I can't forget to mention that it was great racing with you guys this season, and congrats on your win yesterday.
They are pretty fast, but they are using close to IRL specs... Ill do a 1 lap each with SS and report back. :)

BMW: 58.920
370Z: 59.075
DB9: 59.384

DRR GT86 Current GT4 Specs: 58:426 (tuned well)

It has been brought to my attention that GT4s can't use SS tires

2 laps with each

Silverstone

370Z (400hp, 1500kg): 58.957
BMW (425hp, 1630kg): 59:065
DB9: (400hp, 1550kg): 58.870

Laguna Seca

BMW:
Top Speed: 130MPH
Time: 1:30.807

(430hp, 1620kg, a little more focus)
Time: 1:29.562
370Z:
Time: 1:29.235

DB9:
Top Speed: 129MPH
Time: 1:29.182

Last edited:
As I am sure some are aware, Monterrey was my last round commentating for this year.

I'd just like to say a very big thank you to all involved with the series for the fantastic opportunity to commentate on the GTPlanet Endurance Series for 2015. It's been a stunning season's worth of racing, and I'd like to extend my congratulations to MWM for the LMP3 title. I do indeed hope to be back for next year if the season allows - and here's to @lorddragonKD!

They are pretty fast, but they are using close to IRL specs... Ill do a 1 lap each with SS and report back. :)

2 laps with each

Silverstone

Laguna Seca

BMW:

370Z:

DB9:
Why cannot GT4 cars used Sports Soft Tires? If you haven't checked the RIDOX's tunes, he has made the GT4 car replicas, which were restricted to Sports Soft.

Well, to be honest, it might be a little more complicated than the current GT4 cars (BMW M3 CL, AMUSE 380RS, KTM X-Bow Street, Toyota 86 GT Race Car), but with the road cars such as Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08 and Aston Martin V12 Vantage '10 would be much better for GT4 category in my opinion.

I'll try to test some cars for GT4 category in this week.

(Sorry for off-topic though, I was just giving a suggestion.)

2 laps with each

Silverstone

Laguna Seca

BMW:

370Z:

DB9:
http://gt4series.com/cars/ - that's the actual GT4 cars with specs.

This is not the right place for this discussion, please forward your suggestions to your 2016 BoP representative.

View attachment 461140

Edit: Just a miscommunication. No harm, no foul.

This message was sent in error. I ensured that the #80 was not disadvantage or delayed by this. For everyone's future reference, always check the regs! And if I say something that conflicts with the regs, shout at me for clarification!

Who are BoP representatives?
Team managers - and the managers thread is the place to discuss.
Just wait a bit. You'll get a super-fair GT4 BoP presented in a bit... It was already done for this years cars (but partially ignored), and your way to do it is a bit away from getting a good balanced result.

Again, it was just a miscommunication. It all worked out pretty fairly.
Yeah, within the GT4 class we always had fair races and great battles. 👍👍
It's the behavior of the faster cars in multi-class races that was a bit annoying to me.

Meister Fetz said
👍👍👍 Silence is golden...

You know - was only meant as a refer to "speech is silver, silence is golden" as a joke :rolleyes:

Yeah, within the GT4 class we always had fair races and great battles. 👍👍
It's the behavior of the faster cars in multi-class races that was a bit annoying to me.

Meister Fetz said
👍👍👍 Silence is golden...

You know - was only meant as a refer to "speech is silver, silence is golden" as a joke :rolleyes:
The traffic in GT300 and TCN were a little nicer. :)

The traffic in GT300 and TCN were a little nicer. :)
Loved the Tsukuba Race when the GT300's were with the TCN's. Only time all year I was in the fast class during a race and was able to break away from the competition while passing traffic. Makes it more enjoyable that we won but it was a very physically and mentally demanding race that I enjoyed immensely.

Back