RUF coming to iracing

• Thread starter Trux
  • 49 comments
Ummmmmm, maybe you guys can know something about race cars that I don't?

How is the RT12R *not* a race car?

Because it's on DOT street tires? The Porsche GT3RS is on street tires too, but it was built purely for the track and just happens to be street legal, same with this car.

Just read the spec sheet, it's got everything a real race car has. It just happens to have the interior left partially intact. It's been stripped of all the usual luxuries like power windows/locks, etc.

This car is more "racey" than the MX-5, Jetta, Solstice, and Mustang we've got in iRacing.

Also, people see that it's going to have the Pilot Sport Cup tires on it and assume it will be terrible. Those tires aren't exactly slicks, but they aren't the tires you find on mom's minivan either. A low tread rating street tire like this one will be a welcome addition to iRacing. You guys may not understand, but if you've never driven on slicks before in real life, they aren't easy to drive on. Sure they've got loads of grip, but they are much more difficult to recover from a slide than a DOT street/track tire like these ones. If they model this car correctly, even with 730hp, I'll bet you it will still be easier to drive fast than most of the other cars just because of the tires.

We are saying it is going to be difficult to drive because it has 730hp in a lightweight rear engine, rear drive car. The weight balance is all in the back, which means it's tail happy.

With proper throttle control that can easily be remedied. Having the engine on top of the rear wheels will give better traction on corner exit. 911's have some very unique handling characteristics, but I wouldn't call them overly tail happy.

If anything a stock 911 will be a bit understeerey(<==is that a word?), I really don't know much about the car wich is why I may seem a bit concerned. I know Ruf for tunning their cars for top speed rather than acceleration and handling, but like I said I know very little about them. It may very well be the case that we are basically getting a GT1 road legal car, or we may be getting a 250 mph monster that will suffer from poor gearing when driven on a slow to medium speed track.

Hopefully the iracing version will drive much smoother than it's counterpart in Forza 4. Car is very tail happy and was a very difficult car to keep on the track. But something tells me iRacing's version might be even worse

I've never ever ever seen a RUF in anybody's racing series. I am guessing they going to use this thing as a substitute for the Porche race cars we see in Grand Am / ALMS and just bout every other major series I can think of

I am very much excited to see the car getting included though and cant wait to buy it

RUF's race quite often in a few different overseas series and do reasonably well, last year one placed 7th overall at a race at the Nurburgring F1 circuit.

We can't get real Porsches, that's a fact. So iRacing went out and made a deal to get us the next best thing. I don't understand how anyone can possibly be complaining right now, but then again I'm a Porsche nut, so maybe other people who are less passionate about them are upset that we are getting a "street car" (which again, this thing is not a street car, it's street legal, but it's far from your average high performance street car)

For me it mostly is that the car is beign used in the service as an "exotic car" rather than a track car, wich implies it will be using R-Compund tires at the most. Now 780 hp on a 3000 pound car is gonna be pretty hard to drive on iRacing, to the point that it may scare a lot of people away.

Hopefully the iracing version will drive much smoother than it's counterpart in Forza 4. Car is very tail happy and was a very difficult car to keep on the track. But something tells me iRacing's version might be even worse

I've never ever ever seen a RUF in anybody's racing series. I am guessing they going to use this thing as a substitute for the Porche race cars we see in Grand Am / ALMS and just bout every other major series I can think of

I am very much excited to see the car getting included though and cant wait to buy it

Was pretty tail happy in GT5

A Ruf is a Ruf, technically speaking. They purchase bodies from Porsche and are an independent manufacturer. They are not modified Porsches, they are optioned Ruf's :)

left888
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the RUF a modified Porsche? and mostly known for their CTR Yellowbird.

RUF is a manufacturer. So technically speaking, they are not modified Porsches. Porsche is just the platform they work with. Which is why car games can obtain the license to use them.

RUF is a manufacturer. So technically speaking, they are not modified Porsches. Porsche is just the platform they work with. Which is why car games can obtain the license to use them.

A Ruf is a Ruf, technically speaking. They purchase bodies from Porsche and are an independent manufacturer. They are not modified Porsches, they are optioned Ruf's :)

I thought there a tuning company, like AMG to mercedes, and M division to bmw, and TRD to toyota and nismo to nissan.

They are independent from Porche, like stated efore they get the "white bodies" from Porsche and do all the assembly themselves. I would think they do some type of stitch welding and other chasis stiffening tricks to their cars. The engines recieve a similar treatment, they modify/tune them to the spec they need for their cars.
So, yeah legaly they are a "manufacturer" in reality they are a very damn good tuning company.
There's a Japanese tuner company that does the same with Skylines, IIRC Mines is the one but I could be mistaken...

Anyone know if the car will be 4wd or 2wd? Been searching and haven't found anything. I really hope its the 4wd model. Don't believe we have a 4wd anything yet and would love to drive one with iRacing's physics.

superbike81
Steve Myers said we are getting the optional RWD version.

Bah, was hoping for the 4wd. Either way it should be a joy to try to tame that beast. Even more so with only 2wd.

I would have liked the AWD too, just for something different, but seems that opinion is pretty unpopular compared to many other iRacers who say AWD = Boring.

Anyone know if the car will be 4wd or 2wd? Been searching and haven't found anything. I really hope its the 4wd model. Don't believe we have a 4wd anything yet and would love to drive one with iRacing's physics.

I agree, it would have been nice to have something different to the usual RWD. I'd also like another FWD car in the service.

Porsche should be RWD, it's what makes them Porsches! Rear engined and rear wheel drive. Though the one we're getting isn't a real Porsche but I guess its similar...

Back