Ryan's '10 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

• Thread starter ildd
  • 148 comments
16" wheels are too big. 15s are perfect, specifically x8 or x9s.

The Konigs arent bad, flow formed is usually pretty good quality. Getting a good set of tires is more important than any other modification you can make to the car, so choose wisely. Hankook RS3s are good or the BFG Rivals as well.
attachment.php

Teins are usually always good quality and you can get them revalved here in the US easily if needed. I'd scour the forums for a set of used Ohlins PCV. Good ride quality and about $1000 used. They were top of the line a few years ago.
Being the LS model, it actually came with 16x7 (maybe it was 16x6.5 idk) from the factory but yes, from everything I've seen and read, 15x8 would be the best choice. For tires, there were two I was debating I think. The first being Potenza RE11-A and the other being Direzza ZII SS. Both had good reviews from sports cars. But I'll definitely have to read up on all of my few choices. Same thing with the coilovers/shock debate. A good set of shocks and springs is almost as much as a set of coilovers... In some instances, even more expensive. But the ride quality is important to me seeing as I'll be dailying it.

Mazdaspeed Miatas came with 17s even! Much too large to have any kind of ride comfort or performance. Both those tire choices are good as well.

I daily on coilovers and I don't mind, but everyones tolerances are different. Just don't cheap out and buy Racelands or one of the other Taiwanese junk brands.

Mazdaspeed Miatas came with 17s even! Much too large to have any kind of ride comfort or performance. Both those tire choices are good as well.

I daily on coilovers and I don't mind, but everyones tolerances are different. Just don't cheap out and buy Racelands or one of the other Taiwanese junk brands.
Oh no, never Would I buy anything cheap When it comes to something so vital to a car. Ricelands have a bad rep for a reason.
Would you reccomend getting suspension or wheels and tires first? Or should I do them at the same time? I know I'll have to get an alignment Whichever route I go.
I did see a Mazdaspeed yesterday at a shop and it looked really, really good with the 17s. It's weird of Mazda to do that though.

I did suspension first, because I knew I was going to get wide wheels that would need overfenders. Car still looks good on stock wheels just a bit lower. I did the roll bar before that even.

In retrospect, I should've bought better tires first and started tracking it instead of buying silly things for it. Oh well.

Yea, I'm starting to think i'll do the suspension and then the wheels, mostly because I know it's the original suspension and the tires are still in pretty good shape, although they seem to me that they uh... lack in traction. I'm accidentally chirping a little while turning in first or second gear speeds, accelerating or not. Then again, I could just sell the wheels and tires or keep them later on down the road. I'll decide later. I read up on the Tein Advances and have seen some pretty good reviews about them.

Last Friday I set up the GoPro and made a little 'cruise' video. I know the point of a cruise is to go slow and enjoy yourself, but you can enjoy Miata at any speed! At some points it may look like I'm going fast, but it seems like the GoPro adds 10mph (similar to how a camera adds 20lb). I basically cut the video in half because the second part was boring.

Class was cancelled so I got to do stuff today.
So now you can all see what's 'wrong' with the car; the hood's paint is pretty awful (the rest is slightly above average for the most part), the passenger side triangle window thingy's tint is bad, and the wheels are curb rashed to crap from previous owner(s). That's basically it.
IMG_1731
IMG_1734
IMG_1735
IMG_1738
IMG_1740
IMG_1741
IMG_1742
IMG_1744
IMG_1749
IMG_1745
IMG_1743

Car is just about to hit 81,000 miles and I'm continuing to get just about 24mpg :) absolutely no problems except the floor mats like to get dirty really quick and move around.
edit- boy I did a good job of waxing the left side if I do say so myself

If your floor mats are moving around try the trick a friend suggested to me. Go to a store that sells rugs and get the double sided tape that's used to hold rugs immobile on hard wood floors.

Also works for track day events if you don't have racing seats. A couple of strips and you're not sliding around.

If your floor mats are moving around try the trick a friend suggested to me. Go to a store that sells rugs and get the double sided tape that's used to hold rugs immobile on hard wood floors.

Also works for track day events if you don't have racing seats. A couple of strips and you're not sliding around.
Hmmm...I have a little bit of double sided tape but I don't know if it'll be strong enough. I may try that out, thanks.

quoting because I'm going to do this later.

Just an update since last time:
School is over for the semester, so expect more... well, everything. I just ordered a couple things so I can put my radio in. Hopefully have that in within two weeks. It'll be nice to listen to my phone now and be able to call others while driving. I never considered talking to anyone while driving the Miata so far, except once on the highway coming home after the first day.

I'm closing in on 83,000 miles now. I got it with 78,550. Roughly half of those miles, to put it in boring people's words, "pointless." I've driven 2,000 miles just to drive. In two months. I can't get enough of this car, it's just so fun whether you try or not.

No electronic traction stability etc crap is fun.
I'll be doing the oil change pretty soon.
I'm still researching my suspension, wheel and tire choices. I'm starting to think it will be worth the extra money to get the Tein Street Flex, which is highly regarded and has been on sale by a newer store now for a big discount... I'm still sold on 15x8 Konig Dial In's, but the tire choice is still in the same situation as the suspension (which, oh by the way, I'm pretty sure the rear shocks are done for; they're originals).

After all that gets done... say, July or early August...I'd like to get into the more cosmetic stuff. Possibly a respray of the hood, a carbon fiber ducktail trunk (or maybe just a spoiler) among many other things. Those are down the line, though, if they even happen. There's a few areas I can touch up myself but the hood and trunk paint is just about trash.
Something I'd like to do for the interior is get a black NB1 ('99-'00) center console and the panels that connect in front of it. I really don't like the NB2 center console's design and I think a black center connecting up to the radio and through the dash would look really nice. It's a straight out swap but the hard part is finding one that is in good condition. I don't even know what the panels are called (maybe kick panels?) but I'd at least like to try it. I've also considered getting black floor mats as these tan ones become absolutely disgusting after a week.

There's a ****ing annoying rattle coming from somewhere behind the seats. I don't know if it's a hinge, a loose nut, some strange vibration or what. It only occurs when moving and on imperfect roads, which makes it hard to actually find out where it is, considering I'm driving and whatnot. Sometimes I think it starts on the drivers side and moves to the passenger's. Makin' me real mad.
Also, I dismantled my passenger sunvisor and turned it into a GoPro mount.

Last edited:
There's a sheet metal looking cover that bolts the rear panel being the seats to the top of the fuel tank area with several 10mm bolts. They usually have a separate but integrated washer on them, and that could rattle if they come loose. Might pull the carpet up and give them all a small tightening.

Edit:

_DSC8840.jpg

There's a sheet metal looking cover that bolts the rear panel being the seats to the top of the fuel tank area with several 10mm bolts. They usually have a separate but integrated washer on them, and that could rattle if they come loose. Might pull the carpet up and give them all a small tightening.

Edit:

_DSC8840.jpg
Yes, I've seen that when I was trying to uh... integrate a camera into the rear shelf. I'll have to look at that area again. It seems to me that the rattle is coming from above that area though, so possibly something involving the top. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out.

Yes, I've seen that when I was trying to uh... integrate a camera into the rear shelf. I'll have to look at that area again. It seems to me that the rattle is coming from above that area though, so possibly something involving the top. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out.
Has the top been replaced? The "rain rail" that sandwiches the soft top to the body might have some loose nuts.

Has the top been replaced? The "rain rail" that sandwiches the soft top to the body might have some loose nuts.
was replaced about 6 weeks ago ;) new rain rail as well. But this noise didn't start until about two weeks ago.

Just a follow up:
yesterday before work I tore the trunk down to the metal, including the metal shield that protects the gas line. I vacuumed out the area behind that and the whole trunk. Found some change and a luggage zipper but those were the only surprises. I also took the rear shelf carpet off again as Turbo suggested and wiggled all the bolts, two of which I tightened. There was also a bolt next to the drivers seat, where the wind blocker attaches, that wasn't all the way in. As of now, I haven't heard the rattle again.

Today, I went to oreilly and got fresh oil, a filter and some cheap rags that I've used before. Useful for dusting off stuff and cleaning the wheels. The oil change went well for being my first time, the only real problem I had was getting the old filter off. Such a strange angle my arm had to get in there, and it was stuck on pretty good...
nice and cozy under there
20150514_113205.jpg
20150514_113910.jpg

Also I've been convinced by fellow owners to get the Tein Street Flex.

Am I the only one who keeps coming into this thread expecting a V8-engined 'LS' Miata?...
I don't have $12k to blow right now, sorry :lol:

I just finished wiring up the harnesses (harness'?) and, hopefully, I'll have it installed tomorrow. I went ahead and bought a black nb1 console and that should be here Wednesday. I think I'll be the first person to put a black nb1 console into an nb2, it's always the other way around. If I don't like it, I can just resell it.

Well, as promised, two things have happened. I installed the NB1 center console on... Tuesday? And I'm personally digging it. It's in great condition although the hinge needs a little pick-me-up. Two of the screws holding the console in were a total PITA to get out, but I used a bit of ingenuity to get one stripped screw out.
Excuse the bad lit picture-I honestly haven't had daylight time since Wednesday.
20150521_195548.jpg

like I said, ideally I can change the side panels to black or simply plastidip them. Which I had to do to the power window switch. I'm not a big fan of the product but I will admit it's useful for smaller things.
Oh my god Germans, I love you. I do. But you guys make things so damn complicated.
So, on the Mercedes, I had to use three different sized drivers to get the radio out. This also includes needing to take the whole center console out, which of course meant also taking the air vents and AC unit out.
On the Miata, I took two tiny tabs off the side of the radio, inserted a pair of special-designed radio removal tools ($4) and took the radio out. Took like 10 minutes after looking up which way to bend the tools (ooutward, not inward).

But of course, I somehow ordered the wrong harness (the ones for NB1s and NA's, I think, although Crutchfield said it would work for mine). Luckily, I was able to exchange it for the right one at no additional cost. It came in Friday while I was at work, and I wired everything up (again, lol) and installed the radio Saturday. I started the process at about 11am and finished up completely at 1:20 and hurried my ass to work. Honestly the hardest part was getting it to fit right. There was only so much room back there.
20150523_114125.jpg

I ran the microphone through the back of the left panel, bundled the unused 8ft of wire in the knee panel, and up the "kick panel" and it sits on a vent.
20150523_114146.jpg
(it's completely hidden; took it partially out to show where the wire goes)
20150523_131153.jpg

after doing a test call to my dad, he confirmed it not only worked but sounded great and had no noise.

After getting that set up, I ran the AUX cord and USB port cord through the back of the unit, like the mic, but ran it through and under the panel...
20150523_114655.jpg
... under the center console...
20150523_114701.jpg
and into the Removable ash tray of the nb1 console. I had to drill out the plastic to get the cords in there, but they fit perfectly and hidden in there.
and the finished product: Again, I apologize for these bad pictures
*the window switch wasn't pushed in all the way, ignore the tan bit
20150523_131137.jpg

20150523_123915.jpg
*Also taken before I changed the colors, background, date and time

One of my work friends got a new truck so I climbed in the back, complained of the lack of bedliner and took a pic of my car
20150522_180911.jpg

when he doesn't park next to me, my other work friend butshealreadyhhasaboyfriendwhohasalowerede46m3 parks next to me
20150522_230238.jpg

that's all, folks

I've finally done a road trip by myself. It's something I've been wanting to do since I had my license, but with no clear destination or plans, it would have been kind of pointless.
I took a two-day 'vacation' to San Antonio, which is about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive from my house in Houston. I started off by packing everything I would have needed, and a few things I really didn't.
20150629_082659.jpg

(it's the only selfie I promise)
As you can see, Miata trunk is small. So small, in fact, my cooler was too tall to fit in it, so it rode shotgun.
I arrived in San Antonio at about 12:30, and I ate at a BBQ place that was literally 100ft from my hotel. I was able to move everything into my room at 2pm, which was a bit nicer than I expected it to be given the price. It had everything I wanted (TV, wifi, free breakfast, bathroom, bed, and the room was fairly big).
20150629_164047.jpg

Despite the nearly 300 mile journey, I rode the entire way with the top down and ran into no problems.
For the first few hours, I just laid in bed catching up on anything I missed. At about 5pm I left for Downtown, and walked around for about four hours. Absolutely beautiful area. If you want, you can start here and work your way to the right on flickr to see some of the pictures I took.

The main reason for this trip was to drive on the Twisted Sisters, which is a trio of roads (R335, R336 and R337) that are...well, twisty. The best place to start is in Leakey, which was close to two hours west of San Antonio. On my way over there, I noticed a bunch of dark clouds (and occasionally some sprinkling) and all I could do was hope it didn't rain... Thankfully, it never did. I saw some kind of car shop and couldn't resist taking a picture.
20150630_091316.jpg

It's hard to see but there's a few cars in the back, one of which being a C3 Corvette.
And again, when you see something like this you just have to take a pic :lol:
20150630_122126.jpg

I started going northbound on R336, and not even a mile into my trek I realized this entire trip was worth it. I've never had so much fun in a car, if not my life, ever. The road surfaces were fairly good, but could have been better. The scenery was fantastic, especially coming from Houston, where there's just nothing except buildings and concrete centered around a grid system. I think my most favorite thing about San Antonio was the lack of the grid system; almost every road had sweeping curves and no 90-degree intersections.
IMG_2079.JPG

After ending R336 I got back on the 'main' highway and headed west for about 20 miles and then turned southbound onto R335. Man, the hills came alive here. It's like a roller coaster. I loved it. Definitely my favorite of the three roads.
20150630_114518.jpg

I ran into a little bit of a sprinkle again, but luckily it only lasted a few seconds. The roads remained dry the entire time, it was bright and there was incredibly little traffic (On the three roads, I saw about 9 other cars and one motorcycle). It's all I could ask for.
IMG_2088.JPG

The Miata took every turn without problems, absolutely ignoring the recommended speed, and in most cases going at least double what it said. Even on the straights going up and down hill it was great.
R337 was a bit of a letdown given how long it was. There was only one interesting section, but it was definitely the most intense, if not the most scary section of the whole trio of roads.
20150630_130547.jpg

I even took it rallying.

Because of the radar, I only drove each road once. about halfway back to San Antonio it absolutely poured. I wish I could've picked a day where I didn't have to worry about rain, but I guess the only solution is to not pick the day three weeks in advance!

On Wednesday, I hit up Six Flags before coming home. That was also fun.

And since I know you noticed the GoPro in that one picture...

please ignore the hideously stupid intro
Apologies for the wind noise :)

Last edited:
I seem to have failed to mention it, but I ordered new wheels and tires on July 2nd. They took a couple extra days to ship, but arrived Friday, July 10th while I was at work. I put them on the following morning and have absolutely been loving them so far. Already had a few people pull up next to me at red lights and tell me they look great (the tires still had that signature white lettering on the bottoms from being new, and with the wheels so shiny I guess they figured out they were new, too). Made me feel really good.
I went with 15x8 Konig Dial In's, in black, with 205/50 Yokohama S.drive tires. I was debating between those and the Dunlop Direzza ZII's but chose to stick with my guns and loyalty to Yokohama; they're obviously different kinds of tires, but I figured, at least for now, it would make more sense to go with these since they'd be more daily friendly.

Off the ground- this was probably the worst part, I guess just nerve racking. The towels were used to dry my face...
20150711_084901.jpg

I had started to get all the rust off of the wheel hubs and the brakes, and then paint them with high-temp black paint, but after starting on one I scrapped the idea completely because it was taking sooo much time. Maybe when it comes time for new rotors...
Freshly tightened nuts
20150711_093140.jpg

annnnd contact point! (that wheel gap tho)
20150711_093640.jpg

20150711_094259.jpg

and a couple things I saw locally
20150715_094213.jpg
20150715_093446-1.jpg

I also got brand new lugnuts and hubcentric rings. I kinda thought about getting gold 'nuts but went with black obviously.

As for the old tires? I never ever want them to be on a car again. Ever. I didn't realize how bad they were. The two fronts are still ok, i'll be keeping them ready just for a backup (or for... shredding) but the rears... how I'm alive I don't really know. The rear left, which I knew was almost treadless, had a massive crack going down the middle. The rear right's inner part of the tire was coming unraveled.
These are much more grippy than those pieces of crap, and with the lightweight wheels the ride is noticeably smoother. It felt like a slightly refurbished suspension.
Maybe within a month or so i'll have an overhauled suspension. The only thing holding me back is the installation... I'm afraid to do it myself and who knows what a shop would charge.

Took a pic and did a quick edit.
I'm basically sold on getting the Tein Street Flex.
still want to paint the letters white but there's so many conflicting reviews on every single product/method of doing it
20150720_201031_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20150720_201031_Richtone(1HDR).jpg

Back