S-10 licence (Porsche 917K at half wet Spa)

• Thread starter turini
  • 210 comments
All assists will actually cost you time but there is a lot of time to play with if you give yourself a decent start through Eau Rouge and you can only get that start reliably with the assists on. You are then less likely to throw away a good attempt if you keep the assists on.
They may "cost you time" compared to perfect driving, but if you can't even complete a lap because the ****ing car just spins in Blanchimont for no discernible reason, using the assists can be a lot faster. ;) I personally picked up 6 seconds between my best time with just TCS and my best time...

Guys I managed a 2:18.816 yesterday... Will upload video to youtube shortly 😁. No assists at all except for ABS at default. Using PS5 controller.

Just did it. Turning OFF “ASM” helped a lot! I finally managed to slide/recover without spinning out of the track. Almost right away “2.26:013”, something like 15 more attempts and “2.25.943”, I would still be happy if it was “2:25:999”. Final setup that worked for me on G29 (may be it will help someone else):
TC: 5
ABS: Default
Bloody ASM: OFF
Counter-steering Assistance: Strong
Controller: G29.
Controller steering sensitivity: 5
Force Feedback Max Torque: 2
Force Feedback Sensitivity: 10

Last edited:
How are you guys ahead at Eau Rouge?! I can catch the demo ghost by then, but my launch from La Source is gapped massively by the demo ghost.

I've tried 1st gear, second gear, TC1, TC 5, I just can't seem to get around that corner and accelerate out at anywhere near the same rate.
I used auto trans, manual is probably quicker if you nail it, but I wanted less to worry about for this test. TCS 3, ASM and Counter Steer on, ABS default and Steering Sensitivity at 10. I also turned on the red braking zones and yellow corner markers.

For La Source I stay out wide on the straight and brake pretty much at the beginning of the braking zone and turn so you just miss the barriers on the corner apex. Then smash the gas as early as possible. I have the ghost set at 0 gap. When I got it right I found that the ghost is pretty much on top of me once you are out of the corner. It's a little unnerving having it poke a little bit of front end in and out of your car, but it's only short lived on the straight approaching Eau Rouge.

About 50 to 100 metres before the yellow marker at Eau Rouge I lift off and coast into the corner. Then when the car is straight dab the brakes and release them before turning in. Aim to hit the curb with your right wheels and the smash the gas. When you lift off on the approach the ghost will get slightly ahead, but by the time you are out of the corner he will be behind you. At the end of Kemmel brake early and keep it straight until you can release the brakes and roll through the corner. The rest of the track just brake a touch early so you can coast through the corners and get on power early on exit.

After Stavalot I get it up to speed and then feather the gas to ensure I dont loose it. Dab the brakes and roll through Blanchimont, gently on the power and brake early for the bus stop.

Then breathe a sigh of relief and watch the gold time pop up.

The good thing is the hardest part is at the beginning, so if you mong it, just start again with not a lot of time wasted. Once I got ahead of the ghost for the first time and realised that was the way, if I wasn't where I wanted to be at any point before Kemmel I'd just bin it and go again.

Edit: Also I usually use bumper cam, but I found hood cam better for this test and also S7.

Last edited:
Okay, so first post here though have been reading for quite a many GT generations already. But there is something in this test that makes me super curious. I am trying to get the handle on this on no assists, H pattern shift and all (T-GT II, T-LCM and TH8A). For the most part, this became much easier to drive after 1.13 patch, but there is a single point here that seems to me to be just broken. As in, have driven a good 150 hours on a wide variety of cars and tracks in GT7, and thousands upon thousands on other games throughout the years, but can not understand this one thing. I think it was actually a bit more logical before 1.13.

So: can someone explain to me what is happening with the 917K in this test on turn 17, as in the pre-Blanchimont turn? From what I've read and seen, this is a spot where rain forms significant streams along and across the track, but visually, there is clearly a dry line through this corner. Still, no matter the gas pedal position, the car just simply loses touch with reality (or what seems like reality to me). Clearly, it can't take the corner flat out. Braking into the corner, even by just binding it with a slight touch, puts too much weight in the front and makes the back squirmy. Even completely neutral, as in clutch pedal down, the car can still lose its tail here. The best way around it so far for me has been to ease up on the gas pedal well before the turn-in, then keeping it painstakingly level through the corner and hoping for the best. It is an extremely slow way to do it, the whole back straight losing its momentum, but it just seems to be the only way to regularly get through the corner without losing it. I am losing actual seconds on this one corner alone. Having optimized all the other parts with relative ease, my lap times seem to have plateaued at 2.26.3ish.

Is it just me, or is there actually something funky here?

Last edited:
Okay, so first post here though have been reading for quite a many GT generations already. But there is something in this test that makes me super curious. I am trying to get the handle on this on no assists, H pattern shift and all (T-GT II, T-LCM and TH8A). For the most part, this became much easier to drive after 1.13 patch, but there is a single point here that seems to me to be just broken. As in, have driven a good 150 hours on a wide variety of cars and tracks in GT7, and thousands upon thousands on other games throughout the years, but can not understand this one thing. I think it was actually a bit more logical before 1.13.

So: can someone explain to me what is happening with the 917K in this test on turn 17, as in the pre-Blanchimont turn? From what I've read and seen, this is a spot where rain forms significant streams along and across the track, but visually, there is clearly a dry line through this corner. Still, no matter the gas pedal position, the car just simply loses touch with reality (or what seems like reality to me). Clearly, it can't take the corner flat out. Braking into the corner, even by just binding it with a slight touch, puts too much weight in the front and makes the back squirmy. Even completely neutral, as in clutch pedal down, the car can still lose its tail here. The best way around it so far for me has been to ease up on the gas pedal well before the turn-in, then keeping it painstakingly level through the corner and hoping for the best. It is an extremely slow way to do it, the whole back straight losing its momentum, but it just seems to be the only way to regularly get through the corner without losing it. I am losing actual seconds on this one corner alone. Having optimized all the other parts with relative ease, my lap times seem to have plateaued at 2.26.3ish.

LOL it's just you brother. Just have to give it some more practice is all I can say. Doesn't seem any different around that corner really after the patch, if anything it's easier. I took the corner flat out no problem using a Controller lol. Have you not seen my 2:18 video?

The twisted part of this test is that on the countdown to the beginning of the lap, when it shows the car from a sweeping camera angle, it shows Wet tires on the dang car! And then you have to go out and run without them.

I didn't gold this and don't expect to.
Used 2 or 3 tries to get Bronze..

The lightning is so beautiful but doesn't help with the standing water.. Almost lost it on the final stretch.

FCF
LOL it's just you brother. Just have to give it some more practice is all I can say. Doesn't seem any different around that corner really after the patch, if anything it's easier. I took the corner flat out no problem using a Controller lol. Have you not seen my 2:18 video?
Not really super interested in controller videos, we're not after the same thing here. The question wasn't really about lap time either. I am more interested in what exactly is going on in the physics in that single corner, where the car behaves very differently to the rest of the track.

It's not just you. I had the same thing. Whatever I did the car felt like it was aquaplaning in that corner. No grip whatsoever. The only way I could finish a lap was to start coasting well before the turn and slow to about 50mph. Eau Rouge/Raidillon was easy in comparison.
I'd abandoned the challenge for a while in frustation (about 2.5s shy of gold) and when I came back to it a couple of days ago I beat my previous best on the second lap and golded it on the third. There was plenty of grip in turn 17. This is all post 1.13 update.
I'm not sure what aids I had on when I got gold but I'm sure I would have tried all of them previously. I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

Edit - I've had several more tries today. It's certainly easier with CSA on but even with no aids it's possible to take turn 17 at 150mph+ with no problem. Either I'm going mad or the conditions have changed drastically since I first did this.

Last edited:
So I attempted this this morning. Got Gold on the 4th attempt, but must say, it was only thanks to the great advice on this thread that I’d already gained.

Stay away from the kerbs, be gentle through Eau Rouge, and take it much easier through Blanchimont than you think, and you’ll be fine.

My first attempt this morning. 10 seconds off....Bronze. Yeah this one is going to take awhile. :lol:

The rest of S License went pretty smooth. I did better than I thought I would.
In my first attempts I could not even finish the lap because I'm sort of a all or nothing driver lol, 😅 keep trying en you will succeed!

Got Bronze today.

Took about 10 resets. I trashed a lot of 917s today.

Still have a long way to go for the Gold.
But the first step is done, you got brons, know hunt for the silver 😉, you can do this!, over time you will find out were you can get that extra time, good luck!,

Definitely not just you. I've golded it a while ago, but this was the area that gave me the most fits, because finding the maximum speed you can carry through here is basically just guess and check. Staying on the totally dry line, trying the inside and outside to see if the wet edges truly followed the visual of them being wet, and playing with throttle to see where the traction limits are. There isn't really a reason why you shouldn't be able to go flat or close to is on the dry, but you just can't. Even with an overabundance of patience I beat gold by over two seconds, but there is still a LOT more time in that... my run was far from perfect.
FCF
LOL no. This is common, and most people playing on a wheel have to check up for this corner. You playing on controller means you have a much easier ability to catch the car when it tries to step out. You slide around like a madman which is pretty much impossible on a wheel. Controller has a HUGE advantage when it comes to catching slides. You're lock to lock in pretty much every corner.

And you didn't go flat out, you dropped throttle just after turn entry. No need for the LOL and attitude about it. He's asking a friendly question. Your lap may have been fast, but it was a MESS, and you wouldn't have made it past Eau Rouge on a wheel.

Last edited:

Yup.. I have to coast through that section and still rely on it not spinning as I four wheel aquaplane around the corner. Reckon it costs me 1 sec+, but I got gold and now I've no interest in driving the Porsche, or at wet Spa ever again.

Been trying the Gold again. Yesterday and today. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's fun but getting consistent and closer feels good.

I've been doing a side excersise of practicing TCS adjustment on the fly. I have it turned off for the first 2/3. Turn to TCS 1 for the final 1/3. Turn it up to 3 at Blanchimont for the rest, especially the final turn and straight. Blanchimont and the final staight was where I was losing it the most.

Definitely not just you. I've golded it a while ago, but this was the area that gave me the most fits, because finding the maximum speed you can carry through here is basically just guess and check. Staying on the totally dry line, trying the inside and outside to see if the wet edges truly followed the visual of them being wet, and playing with throttle to see where the traction limits are. There isn't really a reason why you shouldn't be able to go flat or close to is on the dry, but you just can't. Even with an overabundance of patience I beat gold by over two seconds, but there is still a LOT more time in that... my run was far from perfect.

LOL no. This is common, and most people playing on a wheel have to check up for this corner. You playing on controller means you have a much easier ability to catch the car when it tries to step out. You slide around like a madman which is pretty much impossible on a wheel. Controller has a HUGE advantage when it comes to catching slides. You're lock to lock in pretty much every corner.

And you didn't go flat out, you dropped throttle just after turn entry. No need for the LOL and attitude about it. He's asking a friendly question. Your lap may have been fast, but it was a MESS, and you wouldn't have made it past Eau Rouge on a wheel

A mess? Literally had one part that I messed up on. I wasn't getting an attitude just simply telling you what I have experienced and from watching plenty of people on YouTube. Say what you want about Controller users but I always heard it's harder than a wheel. Wheel users will always be faster is what I constantly hear all the time... Give me some time on a wheel and I guarantee I could beat my Controller time... All in the driver.. 😂

I don't know what's wrong with me, S2 with the F40 took me longer than S10.

After about an hour S10 was done. TC5, CSA Strong. Solid 2:24:589

FCF
A mess? Literally had one part that I messed up on. I wasn't getting an attitude just simply telling you what I have experienced and from watching plenty of people on YouTube. Say what you want about Controller users but I always heard it's harder than a wheel. Wheel users will always be faster is what I constantly hear all the time... Give me some time on a wheel and I guarantee I could beat my Controller time... All in the driver.. 😂
Do it on a wheel then. You literally drifted most of the corners, backing it in on the brakes, only being able to correct it because you were on controller that can go full lock to lock on steering immediately. Completely unrealistic.

My issue was simply that you told specops it was just him, like he's worse than everyone else that struggled, laughed at him, and basically said "git gud" when he's putting in the work to get better. Real chump stuff.

You will never get away with driving like you do on controller on a wheel. I'd love to see you try. I'm sure you can beat the gold, but not your controller lap time.

Second post on these forums in the past 12 years but thought I'd chime in after returning to the world of GT since the early days of GT 6 and after lurking here for a few weeks now.

I read through this thread before starting my attempt at beating S-10 today and the tips here were really helpful in securing a low 2.24, which I initially reckoned would take at least if not more time than the Nurb CE. But I digress, just to share my 2 cents I'd really stress like some previous posters how beating this is mainly about two things.
First being following the dry line, which seems obvious enough to anyone who even tried this once but I feel like it's worth stressing because at least my natural instinct was initially to try drive it like in dry conditions and to shave off time by taking risks with the racing line. Usually the way this happened was by trying to find the optimal braking point instead of playing it safe, which sometimes lead into drifting off the line thereby ruining the whole lap e.g. in Bruxelles or on a few occasions in Pouhon. And to clarify my example; by safe I mean braking like 5% earlier than you normally would just to eliminate the error of margin.

Second and more important point which has been repeated in this thread is that the successful lap mostly relies on just a handful of corners: 1. Your entry into La Source and Eau Rouge/Raidillion giving a good run for the straight and 2. Taking Blanchimont and especially the corner previous to it (T16?) at a speed and with such delicate inputs that it almost feels like you'd be going too slow. My first 10 attempts I never got past T16 but honestly I think taking it safe will not lose you a lot of time on the ghost since the ghost will take some risks at T16 but will nevertheless still break into Blanchimont so you shouldn't lose too much on the backstraight on the way to the bus stop.

Rest of the lap you'll just pound around like on a casual sunday drive which feels awkward at first but after driving behind the demo ghost, he's hardly pushing the car aside for the aforementioned corners.

And of course being delicate and finding the settings that suit your driving is probably to be sorted first. Personally I went with TCS 1 as the car and conditions seemed hard enough by themselves.

Tried roughly 10 times today. Got the Gold. :)

A bit of a confidence boost overall. I did the Toyota GT race on Sunday. Was doing this test more than practicing for the race during the week. And it worked out pretty well. First GT7 Sports Mode race for me where I didn't go off on my own at some point. This was a good excercise for me.

jumped on yesterday after about a month and a half away, this one took me about 23 minutes after going through S1-9 in about 50 minutes (it's hard to find where to brake in road cars on sports tyres) anyway my tips for this one, find and stick to the dry line, avoid the kerbs, try to brake in a straight line, learn to instinctively counter steer before the rear steps out (i know easier said than done but it's something you learn to sense over time), above all tip toe through just about all the corners but especially radillon/eau rouge, les combe, pouhon and blanchimont, i was very conservative into the bus stop so not sure if extra care is required there but ended up on a 2:24.310 even while slightly stuffing up the run to blanchimont, i've set the below to start at my gold run.

Last edited:
Took me 2 nights (about 1.5 hours each session) to Gold this test. I really enjoyed it because all the other license tests took me 2 nights in total to gold all of them. So touchy and twitchy - the last section of the track got me over and over again.

I am playing with a Dualshock, no feedback in the triggers without any driving assists apart from ABS. I'm pretty chuffed I golded this test without traction control.

It's a shame that all the other license tests were very easy. I think GT4/5 had some of the hardest ones ( I remember a Lotus Elise at Top Gear track that got me for days :()

Back