S-10 licence (Porsche 917K at half wet Spa)

• Thread starter turini
  • 210 comments
Okay, so first post here though have been reading for quite a many GT generations already. But there is something in this test that makes me super curious. I am trying to get the handle on this on no assists, H pattern shift and all (T-GT II, T-LCM and TH8A). For the most part, this became much easier to drive after 1.13 patch, but there is a single point here that seems to me to be just broken. As in, have driven a good 150 hours on a wide variety of cars and tracks in GT7, and thousands upon thousands on other games throughout the years, but can not understand this one thing. I think it was actually a bit more logical before 1.13.

So: can someone explain to me what is happening with the 917K in this test on turn 17, as in the pre-Blanchimont turn? From what I've read and seen, this is a spot where rain forms significant streams along and across the track, but visually, there is clearly a dry line through this corner. Still, no matter the gas pedal position, the car just simply loses touch with reality (or what seems like reality to me). Clearly, it can't take the corner flat out. Braking into the corner, even by just binding it with a slight touch, puts too much weight in the front and makes the back squirmy. Even completely neutral, as in clutch pedal down, the car can still lose its tail here. The best way around it so far for me has been to ease up on the gas pedal well before the turn-in, then keeping it painstakingly level through the corner and hoping for the best. It is an extremely slow way to do it, the whole back straight losing its momentum, but it just seems to be the only way to regularly get through the corner without losing it. I am losing actual seconds on this one corner alone. Having optimized all the other parts with relative ease, my lap times seem to have plateaued at 2.26.3ish.

Is it just me, or is there actually something funky here?
Got back to this after 1.15. Everyone knows about the FFB situation with T-GT and while it's definitely off, there are some good things there as well. First try after 1.15 was instantly better in pre-Blanchimont turn, no more of that here-goes-hope-for-the-best feeling turning in. Increased speed through it gradually and by fourth try it was basically just a normal tap of the brakes and gentle steer in effort. Instantly took almost a second out of my lap time, so 2.25.4 and I think I'm done with this one. There just seemed to be a little something missing before from the feedback in this very spot for me that left me wondering how and why did I lose it this time. Now it gave me the feeling of what is enough steering and made it possible to get it right without that much drama.

i'm on a controller and i'm only an okay driver.

the way i beat this was to turn on the racing line, and stick to it like glue. on most tracks, i am trying to adhere to a good line of course, but i think of the off-track areas as out of bounds. On this track, I had to think of any area, including most areas of the actual track, as "out of bounds". This race is all about avoiding the wet spots on the track, and adhering strictly to the pre-programmed racing line is the best way to do that.

there is also one tricky spot where you have to slow down unrealistically or risk spinning, but for the most part just driving "decent" and sticking to the line will get gold for this race.

Last edited:
I golded every part of the super license fairly easily (a few on the first lap) but Spa is giving me fits. Spent about an hour and got Bronze. Will be revisiting this again soon but IMO this event is 🐴 ****

Probably the worst and toughest corner in any GT ever (IMO)... Going into Blanchimont with this car/track/test. You dont quite see the dry racing line well and the car always attemps to kill you, at that speed is almost impossible to save, and you're off. And in general the car is such a nightmare to drive on the wet

Last edited:
Finally got bronze after turning driving lines on, that did help to avoid the water.

the drive line basically shows you the path around the water. Stick to that like glue, and you don't even have to be all that aggressive with your speed.

Last edited:
Got it done finally. This was a bitch. TC on 3 and I never turn on TC, only for starting. I don't know if the TC setting helped me.
With this car on a wet track and with (for Christ sake) RH tires.. brrrrrrr.
Only loosening on the throttle will bring this car to a place you don't want him.
Oh, I didn't do it in more than a year btw. I just started some racing again. I hope to enjoy it again.

Grr.

After finally getting gold on S-7, I thought I might have a shot at S-10. But oh no. It seems just so random. One pixel too far to the side and you're off, brake sightly too early and you're off. The visual dry line isn't dry.

Grr.

Edit: Ooh, just 0.9 seconds away from gold. But it's still such a weird test.

Edit 2: Finally did it, more by luck than skill this time.

Last edited:
After reading thpough this thread, I thought that this was going to be the challenge of my life - yes it is tricky, but brake early and stick to the racing line, and its not too bad. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but not impossible.

I found the annoying Tokyo track more difficult with its dark tunnels and close walls.

Seen Miyazono's lap yet?

You know a guy is fast when he beats the Gold Time by more than seven seconds.

It is very interesting to see this license being discussed again, I am currently after a long few tries have achieved SILVER on this license test. I am using the DUALsense controller and no aids like lines, but have to use TCS or your screwed. The Porsche is such an amazing analog monster that you cant risk not crashing and burning at the first chicane at SPA.

Hopefully with a few more tries and watching that Miyazono's EPIC lap run on S10, I can master a GOLD very soon, instead of his head popping up and reminding me everytime to watch the demo for the millionth time. :cool:

porsche porscheracing GIF

Last edited:
ZEE
Hopefully with a few more tries and watching that Miyazono's EPIC lap run on S10, I can master a GOLD very soon, instead of his head popping up and reminding me everytime to watch the demo for the millionth time. :cool:
The thing is, that lap isn't even in the Global Top 10 anymore:

FmbT6bnWYAAW7k3

It's crazy to see a time that wowed us so hard being outclassed by a whopping three seconds, even when considering that the physics model has been changed since then. I wish we could watch the replays of these players. I mean, the skill level of the guy at the very top has to be unreal, just look at the gap to second place...

FmbT6bnWYAAW7k3

It's crazy to see a time that wowed us so hard being outclassed by a whopping three seconds, even when considering that the physics model has been changed since then. I wish we could watch the replays of these players. I mean, the skill level of the guy at the very top has to be unreal, just look at the gap to second place...
I'm not sure that's entirely down to a skill gap. I suspect they where extremely competitive, but on that particular lap, something out of the ordinary happened. IE, they lost the car at some point, but managed to gather it up, gaining a chunk of time. The wet conditions make these occurrences more likely. They could also have used stability control.

If I can do it, anyone can do it, but you do have to have time to hone you're skills and also time to just try, try and try again.
As I said, there's just so much that can go wrong on this track with its random puddles.

After a number of hours attempting this I finally got Gold today. Initially I struggled just to complete a lap then I finally got Bronze and called it a day yesterday (spent all day doing the S license tests not going to next one until I had Gold). At one point I swear it must have rained oil instead of water. I watched a video by Skull Busters but frankly it just takes reps to get the timing down for every corner. I picked back up this morning and finally got Silver and took a long break to run some errands and eat lunch. I went at it again after I got home and finally got Gold after about another 2 hours. I really started to make sizable progress the last 5 or 6 attempts knocking my time from a little over 2:30 to 2:25.655 for the Gold. Although this license was extremely frustrating due to the very thin margin for error, I have to admit it did make me a better GT7 driver.

Last edited:
After a number of hours attempting this I finally got Gold today. Initially I struggled just to complete a lap then I finally got Bronze and called it a day yesterday (spent all day doing the S license tests not going to next one until I had Gold). At one point I swear it must have rained oil instead of water. I watched a video by Skull Busters but frankly it just takes reps to get the timing down for every corner. I picked back up this morning and finally got Silver and took a long break to run some errands and eat lunch. I went at it again after I got home and finally got Gold after about another 2 hours. I really started to make sizable progress the last 5 or 6 attempts knocking my time from a little over 2:30 to 2:25.655 for the Gold. Although this license was extremely frustrating due to the very thin margin for error, I have to admit it did make me a better GT7 driver.
I legit cannot believe you got gold. I jump out of my seat when I got bronze lol

FmbT6bnWYAAW7k3

Yes this is true that time looks mental to me, I m gonna try some more today as it just fun to keep hacking at it and tame the best that is the 917K love that car!

but 2:15 is a stretch even by my skill level, i guess I need a wheel....haha! :D

Last edited:
ZEE
“instead of his head popping up and reminding me everytime to watch the demo for the millionth time. :cool:
That at times was the most annoying part of this and other license test. That pop up should be limited to a maximum of 2 or 3 times and/or doesn’t happen once silver or bronze trophy has been earned.

3 hours (Bronze)
Honestly its not that hard as it looks at first. Yes you are going to fall off track a bunch of times but as you are repeating the same corners you get a better idea of how to get into them. Also, tiny throttle bumps are key here. Staying on gas full on all the time will get you crashed. I posted my video of getting gold last night, you can see it in the license topic. Just listen to the sound of the engine, im constantly tapping the gas instead of just holding on to it to avoid spinning.

Honestly its not that hard as it looks at first. Yes you are going to fall off track a bunch of times but as you are repeating the same corners you get a better idea of how to get into them. Also, tiny throttle bumps are key here. Staying on gas full on all the time will get you crashed. I posted my video of getting gold last night, you can see it in the license topic. Just listen to the sound of the engine, im constantly tapping the gas instead of just holding on to it to avoid spinning.
ok it was my first day on gran turismo7
i got all license on my first day
i was enjoying it......
thats why i took my patient to get it
now i am getting it on first attempt

I didn't time it, but figure I spent about 1.5 hours today until I got Gold. I passed it fairly quickly when I was originally doing my licenses, but didn't even bother trying to get Silver then. A stretch of boredom this morning drew me back to it. After about 20 minutes I was within 2.4 seconds of gold. Turned on the driving line, turned up the TCS, and put a 2 sec lead on the ghost. Another hour and I had it 2:25:660. If I ever come face to face with the person that picked that Gold time, we're gonna have words. Stupid difficult, I'm glad that is done. And that also got me the final trophy!

I didn't time it, but figure I spent about 1.5 hours today until I got Gold. I passed it fairly quickly when I was originally doing my licenses, but didn't even bother trying to get Silver then. A stretch of boredom this morning drew me back to it. After about 20 minutes I was within 2.4 seconds of gold. Turned on the driving line, turned up the TCS, and put a 2 sec lead on the ghost. Another hour and I had it 2:25:660. If I ever come face to face with the person that picked that Gold time, we're gonna have words. Stupid difficult, I'm glad that is done. And that also got me the final trophy!

You do know that on the leaderboard, top 10 are 15 seconds faster than the actual gold time 😂

Needed to cross this one off to satisfy the OCD. I think about 1.5hr to do. The car is a real handful off the dry line. Just keep momentum up and don’t trust kerbs. This was on wheel/pedal/shifter with no aids except the ever present ABS :ill:

Between clearing gold on this, and finally the Fuji super formula race, I feel quite good today :D

Edit to add, my time was 2:22.789. I have no idea how these aliens are sub 2:20 but I suspect a lot of luck and good fortune in the final sector. Felt I was very clean until there, where I got pretty cautious..

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back