Savage388's Car

• Thread starter savage388
  • 372 comments
this evening I took my old handheld tuner off the pcm to upload my new professional tune, and i somehow broke the computer. Now its defaulted to stock which isnt compatible with my transmission mods :nervous:.

this evening I took my old handheld tuner off the pcm to upload my new professional tune, and i somehow broke the computer. Now its defaulted to stock which isnt compatible with my transmission mods :nervous:.
Try contacting PCM4LESS. They have a lot of experience making custom tunes for LT1s. If I remember correctly, you can send them your ECM and they can reflash it or send you one tuned already.

Try contacting PCM4LESS. They have a lot of experience making custom tunes for LT1s. If I remember correctly, you can send them your ECM and they can reflash it or send you one tuned already.
Well I used Solomon at lt1pcmtuning who does a great job, he just emailed me the tune, which was cheaper and a better tune because he'll modify it if you send him a datalog. I drive the camaro to work so sending the pcm out isnt an option really. Ive been working with a tuner all weekend who seems to think my cable is doing something weird and causing a problem, so I'll get a new one and find out.

The camaro is on hold for the moment, all of my little money is going toward a winter beater so i can keep her safe this year. budget is $1000 or less and cheap to insure so its a bit of a stretch. So far its looking like cheap and japanese with 200k plus miles and bad shape, similar pickup, or a ford thunderbird i found in good shape for $900. (probably less)

The camaro is on hold for the moment, all of my little money is going toward a winter beater so i can keep her safe this year. budget is $1000 or less and cheap to insure so its a bit of a stretch. So far its looking like cheap and japanese with 200k plus miles and bad shape, similar pickup, or a ford thunderbird i found in good shape for $900. (probably less)
Smart decision parking it for the winter. Helps prevent rust and really those cars should just not be driven in winter.

Depending on how bad your winter weather is, I would lean toward the truck. Especially if you can find a small 4x4 truck. I would NOT get another RWD car for winter. Get something FWD, AWD, or 4x4.

Smart decision parking it for the winter. Helps prevent rust and really those cars should just not be driven in winter.

Depending on how bad your winter weather is, I would lean toward the truck. Especially if you can find a small 4x4 truck. I would NOT get another RWD car for winter. Get something FWD, AWD, or 4x4.
4x4 isn't an option with my budget, those go for a big premium in western pa. Id rather not have rwd but if I have to it doesn't bother me, I'm confident I can make it again this year.

4x4 isn't an option with my budget, those go for a big premium in western pa. Id rather not have rwd but if I have to it doesn't bother me, I'm confident I can make it again this year.
Thats understandable. 4x4 vehicles are not cheap here either. In that case I would lean toward the truck. Especially if you don't have any other trucks at all. Always nice to have one around for hauling parts or other items.

Thats understandable. 4x4 vehicles are not cheap here either. In that case I would lean toward the truck. Especially if you don't have any other trucks at all. Always nice to have one around for hauling parts or other items.
Yea I'm hoping to find an s10 or a ranger cheap enough and in driveable shape.
I find 4x4 trucks for dirt cheap here all the time.
Not down here, people think 4x4 trucks are worth their weight in gold or something and 2wd trucks are garbage.

Well 2WD's typically are cheaper because of their lesser capability :lol:

If I were you I'd consider a beater S10 Blazer or something. Trucks even though they have 4WD like to slide in the snow because RWD and no weight. You could do like my dad and build a heavy ass rear bumper but you'd be better off starting with an SUv.

If I were you I'd consider a beater S10 Blazer or something. Trucks even though they have 4WD like to slide in the snow because RWD and no weight. You could do like my dad and build a heavy ass rear bumper but you'd be better off starting with an SUv.
Anything like that would be fine, beggars can't be choosers. Personally I'd like a 4 cyl truck more with a stick, my skills are getting a bit rusty. I have always wanted a blazer to beat on though.

So far I've seen an 01 ford exploder 2dr that I like with low miles for 900 and have heard of a mid 90's geo tracker for 500 I wouldn't mind driving. @Slash any (non ford biased :lol:) opinions on either? I know the 4.0 and autos have problems but I really like it and at 130k miles it's a steal.

The 4.0 as you know isn't the greatest nor is the transmission if with basic mainteance they will last you for what you need. Just don't romp on it too much. I still see 15+ year old 4.0s still on the road up here in the rust belt so I'm thinking they probably aren't half as bad as people make them out to be. Ones with the 302 are infinitely better in the way of parts, reliabilty and toughness simply because its much more beefy due to the stronger engine, but you'll pay more for one of those and it's out of your budget. Geo Trackers tend to be rust heaps full of reliabilty issues, at least in my experience but I'd have to say cheap them both out and take whatever one you like more. I would also looki into older S10 Blazers (first or second gens) or even Bronco II's.

The 4.0 as you know isn't the greatest nor is the transmission if with basic mainteance they will last you for what you need. Just don't romp on it too much. I still see 15+ year old 4.0s still on the road up here in the rust belt so I'm thinking they probably aren't half as bad as people make them out to be. Ones with the 302 are infinitely better in the way of parts, reliabilty and toughness simply because its much more beefy due to the stronger engine, but you'll pay more for one of those and it's out of your budget. Geo Trackers tend to be rust heaps full of reliabilty issues, at least in my experience but I'd have to say cheap them both out and take whatever one you like more. I would also looki into older S10 Blazers (first or second gens) or even Bronco II's.
Thats good to know about the explorer, I have seen the older 5.0 in
my budget but I'm also concerned with gas mileage for once. I'll look at the tracker very closely for problems too then. I'd still like a blazer but all the old beaters are in junkyards already and the newer ones are insanely expensive for what you get. Bronco ll's are a no, a friend had a 2.9 ranger and I kid you not doing the speed limit was a challenge without anything in the back. They look pretty cool at least though.

So far I've seen an 01 ford exploder 2dr that I like with low miles for 900 and have heard of a mid 90's geo tracker for 500 I wouldn't mind driving. @Slash any (non ford biased :lol:) opinions on either? I know the 4.0 and autos have problems but I really like it and at 130k miles it's a steal.
I would lean toward the Ford Explorer over the Geo tracker.

Looked at any 4runners? Very capable and reliable, not to mention huge aftermarket selection.

These cars are USELESS in the winter. Tried going out for some fun in the snow last year in my bird and took me 10 min to get out of my driveway

But they are pretty fun in the wet. Instant torque + useless summer tires means I can kick the tail out anytime I want, at any speed (60mph+, not so fun). Just recently I found some nice wide back roads on the way to school where I can pretend I'm Ken Block :D

Looked at any 4runners? Very capable and reliable, not to mention huge aftermarket selection.

You won't find one in even remotely driveable condition for $1,000. 4Runners hold their value extremely well, most I've looked at at $4000+ for ones not in the best condition and will over 250,000 miles on them. I'd really like to replace my Passport with one but I'm not paying the premiums they carry.

With that said, you could probably find a Passport/Rodeo for fairly cheap. They aren't going to be the best but they didn't hold their value very well so you can pick up one fairly cheap. They come with a GM transmission and a Dana 44 rear end in them too, so the drivetrain is fairly solid.

These cars are USELESS in the winter. Tried going out for some fun in the snow last year in my bird and took me 10 min to get out of my driveway

But they are pretty fun in the wet. Instant torque + useless summer tires means I can kick the tail out anytime I want, at any speed (60mph+, not so fun). Just recently I found some nice wide back roads on the way to school where I can pretend I'm Ken Block :D
There not as bad in the snow as you might think, even without abs I could it it stopped pretty well..when I got it going fast enough. Only got stuck once though and that was using second hand winter tires.
The wets a ton of fun, well until my posi started going a few weeks ago.

You won't find one in even remotely driveable condition for $1,000. 4Runners hold their value extremely well, most I've looked at at $4000+ for ones not in the best condition and will over 250,000 miles on them. I'd really like to replace my Passport with one but I'm not paying the premiums they carry.

With that said, you could probably find a Passport/Rodeo for fairly cheap. They aren't going to be the best but they didn't hold their value very well so you can pick up one fairly cheap. They come with a GM transmission and a Dana 44 rear end in them too, so the drivetrain is fairly solid.
I have, they're actually hard to find around here for whatever reason, Honda reliability would be pretty nice to have when I can't do any work in the winter, especially with me trying to go back to school.
Edit: I just searched rodeo in craigslist and got some very promising results, your brilliant. 👍

As someone who once had one (and loved it) I can recommend one, just stay away from the 2L-TE powered ones. They commonly blew head gaskets and the cracked heads if the exhaust temps got too high. If you have the choice, find a 3.0L diesel, the 1KZ engine is practically indestructible and make good power and torque. Other things to watch for with the 2nd gen models is rust on the doors around the windows and on the rear door. Other than that, they never go wrong, will go anywhere and are really quite good to drive.

@Korza as much as I'd like a 4runner, there's no way I can afford one even in really bad shape, the prices are absolutely ridiculous.

I got bored of the car search so I had my friend drive the camaro(his g35 in the background) while I filmed it, it was the first time ive ever heard it from the outside, man it's louder than I thought.

i finally found a decent car, a 2000 Chevy trailblazer. Well it's a blazer technically but they called the special edition the trailblazer, it's loaded with literally every option they offered in a blazer. I'll get some better pictures after I wash it off. IMAG1599.jpgIMAG1597.jpg

Congrats. That will be a very enjoyable winter ride. Looks to be in great shape too. 👍
Thanks, it's got a few issues but for the price it's awesome. The only real problem is it has a miss to it when the engine is cold right now.

Back