SCCA Trans Am Series (Muscle Cars) - Revived and New Hosts

• Thread starter Slash
  • 133 comments
Cougar and the Cuda should be added but due to their poorer performance (I've noticed too), they should be allowed slightly stickier tires to make up for it. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I'm going away for a week Friday on vacation so I want to get a room up and going before hand. What day would be preferable? I'm free all week all day.

GT350R should be allowed too if someone can tune that damn thing. It drives so bad and the real thing performed like the Mach 1 if not better.

Season Schedule coming soon. I need help with this so contact me via PM before I post anything.

Top speed MUST be set to course accordingly.

Season 4 (Dates TBA)

Course - - - - - - - - - - - - Laps - - - - - - - - Date

Daytona Super Speedway - - 25 - - - - - - - - -TBA
Circuit de la Sarthe (2009) -- 08 - - - - - - - - -TBA
Indianapolis Road Course - - -15 - - - - - - - -- TBA
Nurburgring GP/D - - - - - - - 15 - - - - - - - - -TBA
Daytona Road Course - - - - -15 - - - - - - - - -TBA
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca 15 - - - - - - - - - TBA
Suzuka Circuit - - - - - - - - -12 - - - - - - - - - TBA
Tsukaba Circuit - - - - - - - - 25 - - - - - - - - - TBA
Grand Valley Speedway - - - -15 - - - - - - - - - TBA
Autumn Ring - - - - - - - - - -15 - - - - - - - - - TBA
Deep Forest Raceway - - - - -15 - - - - - - - - - TBA
Trial Mountain - - - - - - - - - 15 - - - - - - - - -TBA
Indianapolis Super Speedway -25 - - - - - - - - - TBA

Prizes will be given at the end of the series to the person/team with the most overall points. A points system will be here shortly.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is fine for me. I want to play with the Cougar(where's the Eliminator?) more but I think that Cuda is hopeless.(where's the AAR?) Maybe they'll keep up with a stickier tire like you said though.

I actually made an Eliminator replica with a Ford 429 SCJ kind of power (at factory rating, we all know 429 SCJ's and Bosses made 550+). 375hp.

The Cuda is fine if you know what to shift.

Schedule up, start preppiing your cars for the first track. I'll have a date up soon.

Tomorrow is fine for me, how about 1pm EST? I'll post the room number here when it's open.

EDIT: Specifications for all cars now must be as close as to the actual car as possible. If this does not happen, your car will be ineligable to participate.

This and previous posts will be added to the OP shortly. These are the power ratings for the following cars that are available in GT5 for this series. These power ratings are legit and are pulled from various websites regarding each vehicle.

Chevrolet Camaro - 450hp (Engine, 305ci V8)
Dodge Challenger - 460hp (Destroked 340ci V8)
Ford Mustang Mach 1 - 470hp (302ci V8)
Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang - 480hp (289ci V8)
Mercury Cougar - 480hp (289ci V8)
Plymouth Barracuda - 460hp (Destroked 340ci V8)

Those are for the muscle. The other vehicles listed above are their own class.

Last edited:
Schedule looks good to me. I think a street course or two would be great. Madrid. Although having that many tracks makes the season long. As it is, over 3 months if 1 race is run each week. Which I'm fine with.

Allowing more cars equipped with better tires is a great idea. I guess we'll find out how it actually turns out with tire wear and all.

I'll be around tomorrow evening.

Edit;

What is the weight limit you want the class A cars at?

Last edited:
1360. Cars can have more power to make up for higher weight if they are replicas. I got an ungodly tune on the GT350, so I'd like to see how that works. Once the season starts, maybe Jordan will put us on the front page.

OP just took a heavy update. Swara, fill out the form and I'll update you with it. I hope you'll enjoy it.

I need to start finding Trans-Am cars though :grumpy: So far, to my knowledge, I don't think I have ANY. Except two camaros and two mustangs.

Just get old muscle cars really. Teams haven't been decided on yet. I'll let you know but right now we just ride solo, that's what we did at a track day session about a week ago.

BTW can you get on right now? I really want you to test that one tune. I'll send you the car, make sure to drive it stock first to see the difference.

I have been doing some testing with the B class and was just wondering as to what lap times are being run compared to A class.
So far I have run mostly at autumn ring and a little at laguna seca with a mixture of B class sedans. With my previous car list and specs, I found the vehicles to be "not that fun", but with some test and tune I have made them more consistent following some general regulations.
With this basic tuning I have been running consistent 1:32:5 @ autumn ring with multiple cars with an Avg. 168hp.
Laguna avg. 1:48 same HP.

I have found for the B class to be fun and competitive, I have put the pp range around 385-400.

All testing was done on the sports soft tire with weight between 930 and 1100kg

Hope you guys can run some laps and see what results are found.

B sedan has kept me pretty busy, so I haven't had the time to run the A class at all.

Most of my class A cars run a consistant 1:32:xxx. A bad lap will run about 1:45.xxx.

Got your submission! Thanks!

To every, please start tuning for the first session. I will be hosting a room at 8PM EST TONIGHT for basic track tuning and laps. The room will be entitled GTP SCCA T/A ONLY. Please show your support by coming. The first race will recieve a date after I return from vacation on the 29th. Then we can get this season underway. After that each race will follow 1 week after the previous until it is over. It's a rather long season but will be well worth it.

Prizes will be handed out after the season. What are we doing for prizes?

I'm also thinking about doing a modern muscle Trans Am series after this is over, and if we don't do that I definitely want to get the Class B Sedans a run.

Unfortunately I am traveling and will be away from my PS3 until Monday the 25th. I wish I could be home right now and practice with those racing and tuning tonight. It's definitely a good opportunity to learn about the competition, test your racing machine, and show support for the league. I have a feeling it will be a lot of fun, and a good learning experience for myself!

While drooling over vintage racecars online (and at work...yesss..), i have found very little information regarding the specs used by the actual racecars of the era. One thing i did find is that the average lap time around Laguna seca for B sedan is apprx. 1:20:00. With that, i think we are right on track for B sedan getting around at over the 1:20 mark. That is with basic tuning and a 5spd close ratio tranny.
Ok, enough with B sedan, can't wait to start the A class tonight!

Unfortunately I am traveling and will be away from my PS3 until Monday the 25th. I wish I could be home right now and practice with those racing and tuning tonight. It's definitely a good opportunity to learn about the competition, test your racing machine, and show support for the league. I have a feeling it will be a lot of fun, and a good learning experience for myself!

Starting Friday I'll be away until the 29th so no biggie. I'll have a full race report and everyone is to report back here with a review of their own after the room closes or I leave.

While drooling over vintage racecars online (and at work...yesss..), i have found very little information regarding the specs used by the actual racecars of the era. One thing i did find is that the average lap time around Laguna seca for B sedan is apprx. 1:20:00. With that, i think we are right on track for B sedan getting around at over the 1:20 mark. That is with basic tuning and a 5spd close ratio tranny.
Ok, enough with B sedan, can't wait to start the A class tonight!

I thought I was the only one. I've spent many hours searching for specs and strangely enough I have a hard time finding them too. That's faster than a muscle car! Most of my muscle averages 1:30:xxx. Room will be open in 2 hours. I've got some modern muscle tuning to do.

Yeah the time brought up some doubts, but then I figured in the weight and such and assumed it to be true, oddly enough.

I can't make it untill about an hour later. If you guys are still around I'll join. Since the first race is at Daytona Speedway, there really isn't much to do with setting up the car. Remove downforce, gearing, done. lol. I don't have much hope for my Camaro anyways at that track since it has the lowest HP out of them all.

C'mon, Skel. I've shown you 'Camaro Domination' at 'Tona before. Ya just gotta be one with the car, man.... (weeks of practice and track-specific tuning helps too). :D

I should be around tonight.

Last edited:
Yeah the time brought up some doubts, but then I figured in the weight and such and assumed it to be true, oddly enough.

Yeah it's crazy lol.

I can't make it untill about an hour later. If you guys are still around I'll join. Since the first race is at Daytona Speedway, there really isn't much to do with setting up the car. Remove downforce, gearing, done. lol. I don't have much hope for my Camaro anyways at that track since it has the lowest HP out of them all.

You'd be surprised, I've had some cars with higher wieght and lower power do well. I can change the track if you guys want.

C'mon, Skel. I've shown you 'Camaro Domination' at 'Tona before. Ya just gotta be one with the car, man.... (weeks of practice and track-specific tuning helps too). :D

I should be around tonight.

Alright, sounds good. Room open in an hour, assuming dinner arrives early.

EDIT:

This is how I kind of want to set up for different years:

1965-1975 Vintage
1975-1990 Retro
1990-Present Modern

I'll try to research some specs on muscle used during the second and 2nd periods and what cars we can use in GT5.

Please do no join this room if you are not on the list to be there. Anyone who joins not on this list will be kicked.

Last edited:
Room open in 10 minutes.

EDIT:

ROOM OPEN

GTP ONLY SCCA T/A

ROOM NUMBER

1472-6399-8365-2932-8823

Last edited:
'Tona was a wreck-fest, I think the ovals should be avoided for awhile. At Laguna, the combo of using race hards and no abs really threw me. Just a matter of practice and tuning, though. When we discussed using better tires for the slower cars I agreed with it, but that's a pretty big difference between hards and softs. I was thinking one tire grade difference, meaning the standard cars would use medium compound. It should at least be tested that way before we all end up switching to standard cars so we can use race softs. :D

Whats up fellas, this is titus001. I couldn't use titus001 for some reason. Maybe titus is a filtered word/name not allowed. So I picked 97z28 so you guys know its me. Dont forget to send some chrome Mudd. :)

+1 Mudd,

However, we never really got to the point of who's tires will last longer & pit stops. No ABS is tricky. It really comes down to finesse, brake earlier, not slam on them, and you really really can't dive bomb and get away with it. You have to "be one with the car, man".... Next track day should be at a balanced track where this can be more accurately tested along with what cars are capable of what. Daytona is always a crap shoot.

Titus aka 97z28, welcome to GTplanet..... finally...

Last edited:
I'll be on this evening about the same time, if anyone's able to run a few tonight. I'd like to do several shorter races (3 to 5 lap) so I can make adjustments in between. The setups on my old T/A cars are a little out-dated, plus they were all setup on softs with the use of ABS. I've got a little work to do to get ready for the 10 to 20 lap races.

'Tona was a wreck-fest, I think the ovals should be avoided for awhile. At Laguna, the combo of using race hards and no abs really threw me. Just a matter of practice and tuning, though. When we discussed using better tires for the slower cars I agreed with it, but that's a pretty big difference between hards and softs. I was thinking one tire grade difference, meaning the standard cars would use medium compound. It should at least be tested that way before we all end up switching to standard cars so we can use race softs. :D

Yeah it got pretty hectic there but was fun. Race hards are ok but I can't stand no ABS. So mediums?

+1 Mudd,

However, we never really got to the point of who's tires will last longer & pit stops. No ABS is tricky. It really comes down to finesse, brake earlier, not slam on them, and you really really can't dive bomb and get away with it. You have to "be one with the car, man".... Next track day should be at a balanced track where this can be more accurately tested along with what cars are capable of what. Daytona is always a crap shoot.

Titus aka 97z28, welcome to GTplanet..... finally...

Agreed.

Welcome Titus.

I'll be on this evening about the same time, if anyone's able to run a few tonight. I'd like to do several shorter races (3 to 5 lap) so I can make adjustments in between. The setups on my old T/A cars are a little out-dated, plus they were all setup on softs with the use of ABS. I've got a little work to do to get ready for the 10 to 20 lap races.

Same.

I don't have a problem with running mediums/softs for standard cars. The racing softs have a very short track life though. If everyone is having a hard time with no ABS, then maybe put it up for a vote whether to leave it off or allow it. I think no ABS adds another level of excitement and realisim. I encourage everone to give it more time.

I should be around this evening as well.

I agree that the no ABS adds to the challenge, I just don't have much experience with it yet, that's why I want to keep practicing with it. I'm fine running with ABS, but would like it if we could all give the 'no ABS' a little more track time.

Same situation with the tire compound on standards for me, I don't have enough data available to decide what will work best. We really need a good organized evening of short races to try a few combo's out and hopefully all come to an agreement.

Back