schwimmwagen gonna need a lot of tuning

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigjoe
  • 79 comments
  • 16,069 views
Messages
407
Maxes out at 49 mph... Funny to put a racing tranny on this car. :lol:
 
Yeah, even with light mods and a racing tranny, it needs even more power.

I'm pretty sure PD put this in there just to piss off the people who were complaining about people who mod their cars for the events. :lol:
 
Apparently most people drive mod car in seasonal event anyway. PD just gives people what they want.

I wish they have a mod sambus chasing 300hp car event.
 
This event is definitely impossible with a stock schwimmwagen. I did the first lap with my foot to the floor the whole time, and the leader GAINED 30 seconds on me and I could barely see last place. Anyone come up with a solution?

My net gain is gonna be pretty lame here it looks like!
 
modded the heck out of this thing. FC Tranny to 100MPH and got 1st on 2nd to last turn on last lap. anyone find a better solution? :yuck:
 
PD smirking at everyone who plays seasonal events for money
 
I had to stop to start my nightly Bspec grind. But it looks like the SW will need to be maxed out power wise. A bit unrealistic to put stage 3 turbos and racing exhausts etc, on a 1942 car... I doubt it will need a racing suspension, though. :lol:
 
Schwimmwagon RM!
 
That was fun!

Stock - got lapped, finished 11th
Oil change, FC Tranny, Clutch, Flywheel, Driveshaft, all power upgrades except Engine Tuning - 5th place.
Then added all weight reduction, FC Suspension and stage 2 Engine and won far too easily - lap 3 I think.

Used stock tyres on all runs and only ABS 1.
 
Last edited:
I used stock tires, no weight reduction, but maxed exhaust, turbo, intake. Stage 2 engine + chip, and a full tranny (you're going to need it, otherwise it maxes at 100km/h, and first place will pull away from you). Set it to about 160km/h. The turbo was overkill, I think (had 100hp+). A stage 2 turbo will give you around 80hp, which is more in line with the Honda's.

The only plus side is that the credit reward for 1st will pay for the car and upgrades :D lol
 
Amendment to vehicle description:

"The Schwimmwagon uses a reverse-ABS / reverse-traction-on-demand system. Even under mild braking, the system recognizes that power should be disabled to all but one tire (the one under the heaviest load) so the 'Vagon instantly spins and nosedives into walls."

Ha ha! :sly:
 
I upgraded everything and passed everyone on the second lap, I ended up lapping everyone by the end of the race. It is fun to drive except the horrible turning when braking.

MarsSpork explains how the braking works pretty well in the above post.
 
Last edited:
So, I take it no one's won with the stock transmission?

Oh... don't waste money on the close-ratio 5-speed, either... maxes out at 100 km/h. Kept having to downshift into 4th every time I banged off the limiter. :lol:
 
I'm really not looking forward to dumping money into upgrading the Schwimmwagen. :(

It is spelled braking, not breaking.
 
Yeah, even with light mods and a racing tranny, it needs even more power.

I'm pretty sure PD put this in there just to piss off the people who were complaining about people who mod their cars for the events. :lol:

I was pissed at the beginning alright because I had to spend moderately more time on this first event, although I never complained about the difficulty levels of any bonus events. 👍

awesome event anyhow
 
Last edited:
I had a fully tuned Schwimwagen anyway so rather than go for added expense I used that. I have seen 120 mph out of it! Needless to say the race was easy and I was lapping by the end. As has been posted... I would hardly call them brakes (breaks more like as in breaks away and spins). I was eventually just trying to brake in a straight line which wasn't always easy.
 
I'm really not looking forward to dumping money into upgrading the Schwimmwagen. :(

It is spelled braking, not breaking.

The 625k price tag definitely sucks. Couldn't have been the KW or the Sambus could it...already had those...
 
it seems like PD put this in just for fun since it doesn't seem to net you any credits. Good for XP I guess
 
Most fun seasonal so far, I just added an S3 Turbo and the Fully Customisable Transmission, put it to 87mph, blasted it by lap 3.
 
Ok. Finally did it with 64 bhp, custom transmission, stock tires, nothing else. No suspension mods, no irreversible engine or chassis mods, either.

Transmission tuning is everything here. You want 5th gear at 150 km/h, because at 140, 4th is too short and at 160, 4th is too long... which means you lose speed on some uphill sections and on the loop.

It is possible to win this with a much cheaper build. On Comfort Mediums, I overtook the first place guy at the last corner and blocked him till the finish line... after two sloppy laps gave me back to back 2:17s after I did two 2:16s.

You could probably go slightly cheaper with Sports tires and maybe just 50 hp (with the 2nd stage turbo instead). With Sports Hard and 65 hp, I won the race by the 4th lap (still sloppy). Will see if there's a "cheap" tire-power combo that can win. At significantly lower power levels, no amount of tire will make up for the time lost on the straights.

Going for this build, you still win about 150k credits. Not bad for 5 laps' work.
 
I had a fully tuned Schwimwagen anyway so rather than go for added expense I used that. I have seen 120 mph out of it! Needless to say the race was easy and I was lapping by the end. As has been posted... I would hardly call them brakes (breaks more like as in breaks away and spins). I was eventually just trying to brake in a straight line which wasn't always easy.

lol why would you have a fully tuned Schwimwagen? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a prize car
 
I've fully tuned mine now, everything on it for the hell of it, and thought I'd re-run it, I finished 54 seconds ahead... Haha.
 
modded the heck out of this thing. FC Tranny to 100MPH and got 1st on 2nd to last turn on last lap. anyone find a better solution? :yuck:


I wouldn't call it "better", but I modded mine to the max - every single mod I could buy, including racing softs - and set the max speed to 81mph, thinking I'd be lucky if the beast could actually hit that high speed... Only to find out that I spent most of the race banging off the rev-limiter.

BUT, I *was* gaining on first place and passing other cars. It was rough; I'd pick up 5 or 6 seconds on the lead here and there, but I doubted I'd be able to take him. As luck would have it, I finally managed to get him in the last turn of the last lap, and just barely at that! I had to just turn in, lift a bit (no brake) to get the tail rotating, then try to hold that tail-heavy pig on the course as I swung wide outside the guy and took the win!

It was aggravating putzing around at 75-79mph for the whole race, but it definitely made it an interesting race!

I still kinda wish I could get that carbon-fibre hood for the Schwimmwagen, though. ;)
 
First of all this is not a complaint. I had a look at the new seasonal's earlier and when I saw the wagon event I lol'd. Doesn't it cost around 600000 cr from the dealers? I had a look at the total cr you can win , after tuning and buying the car I can't see there being much change afterwards :lol:. I don't mind though as it seems like a fun event like the top gear samba bus and the other war time vw events they are something different instead of racing in a fast car. I hope there are more like this.
 
Yeah, this was definitely not an event to get rich on, unless you just happen to have a Schwimmwagen larding around your garage...

I'm certain I blew far too much money on mods, but it was still a fun event, so I'm not worried about the moolah.
 
I loved it! So glad to finally find a proper use for the novelty VWs I bought! Just a shame I had to do some permanent upgrades to win :( Will have to buy another one to run it stock (which is by far the most fun way with these ones)

You may need racing suspension or custom gearbox to do these challenges, I did, but its much more fun without! Had to do Stage 1 & 2 engine sadly which is irreversible.

I want a stock SambaBus race round the Nordschliefe next. Come on PD.... (If you haven't tried this already, shame on you!, but it takes nearly 20 minutes for a lap :D)
 
B'day glitch anyone? I did it for the first time as I just want the credits.
 
Back