schwimmwagen gonna need a lot of tuning

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigjoe
  • 79 comments
  • 16,069 views
I'm guilty of modding it far more than it needed to be, but in my defense I had already endured three tries at around 12-15 minutes each, and I wasn't about to deal with the headache of getting 2nd/3rd again. :lol:
 
You don't even need a ton of mods. All you need is about 55-60 hp, a fully customizable transmission, and sports soft tires.

If you're a masochist like me, make that 60 hp and stock tires. You will still earn about 100-150k in credits from the race.

Not that hard. Just learn to never, ever, ever slow down. :D
 
Noo, no mod, no assists, thats a heresy... crazy people
 
You don't even need a ton of mods. All you need is about 55-60 hp, a fully customizable transmission, and sports soft tires.

If you're a masochist like me, make that 60 hp and stock tires. You will still earn about 100-150k in credits from the race.

Not that hard. Just learn to never, ever, ever slow down. :D

I'm gonna try it your masochist way... mainly because I'm cheap and don't wanna spend more than I have to to net only 100k
 
I already own a stock schwimminwagon. Can you win this race by using only "reversible" upgrades (engine and turbo are irreversible)?
 
Yes, upgrade everything except engine and chassis (turbo is reversible), set tranny to 150 km/h and use racing soft tyres - should be able to win with 20+ sec margin.
 
It's funny to hear people complain about these races...they are BONUS races, take them for what they are.

I think the idea of buying a 650,000 Schwimmwagen is fun...who cares about the money. The experience and added activities are enough for me. I would never have bought the car otherwise.
 
I think the idea of buying a 650,000 Schwimmwagen is fun...who cares about the money. The experience and added activities are enough for me. I would never have bought the car otherwise.

Exactly. And it was really fun imho.

At first I thought for sure "the race" was designed to be won by cutting across grass corners or something like that. After all it looks like it is made to go off road but there isn't enough to cut and win with the car stock.
 
It's funny to hear people complain about these races...they are BONUS races, take them for what they are.

I think the idea of buying a 650,000 Schwimmwagen is fun...who cares about the money. The experience and added activities are enough for me. I would never have bought the car otherwise.

I agree. I won't have time to do the Bonus Races No. 5 until the weekend, but I spent last night buying the necessary vehicles, including the Schwimmwagen and tuning them. I will apparently need to do more tuning for the Schwimmwagen, since I did not get the full bore tranny that apparently I will need.

I cannot compliment PD enough for these bonus races. I am driving cars that I likely would not have driven otherwise, and I am getting plenty of rewards for completing the races. I just hope they keep the content coming week after week. I want to own and drive as many of the 1000 cars in the game as possible, but I do not have a lot of time to grind to get enough $$$ in the first place to buy the cars. But for Bonus Races 3 and 4, I probably would not have been able to get the $5 million in credits that we need to buy the top car in the game, the Formula Gran Turismo. After buying that last night, and all the cars I need for Bonus Races No. 5, I still have $4 million in the bank.
 
it seems like PD put this in just for fun since it doesn't seem to net you any credits. Good for XP I guess

If you are level 6 maybe.
It gives me 2% of my exp required to level.
The only thing I like about this event is that I get a "free" car :)
 
You just need to set your gears higher. I put my top speed somewhere around 170km/h.
 
Amendment to vehicle description:

"The Schwimmwagon uses a reverse-ABS / reverse-traction-on-demand system. Even under mild braking, the system recognizes that power should be disabled to all but one tire (the one under the heaviest load) so the 'Vagon instantly spins and nosedives into walls."

Ha ha! :sly:

That explains it! I want a drift event with this vehicle as I found that the fastest way to get this beast around the corners.
 
Can't bring myself to purchase either of the wagons regardless of how much coin I have... Those and the bus are garbage and a complete waste of effort by PD. I'm almost insulted by their presence in the game... I did not buy a racing game to drive slow ass crapboxes... Just my opinion though!
 
i wish there were more truck events how about even better trucks got one truck tune it an there it sits
 
I set my tranny to around 100mph and turned off the ABS...sailed through. It looks like a bathtub or a clown car.
 
Can't bring myself to purchase either of the wagons regardless of how much coin I have... Those and the bus are garbage and a complete waste of effort by PD. I'm almost insulted by their presence in the game... I did not buy a racing game to drive slow ass crapboxes... Just my opinion though!

👍 agreed. this also goes for 90% of the crappy japanese ****boxes with less than 100 hp
 
i wish there were more truck events how about even better trucks got one truck tune it an there it sits

or just not have any trucks at all? i don't see the point of racing them. unless they add a virtual home depot or something, why give me a truck? i'm not hauling anything. i just don't get it
 
After passing the Life step van I realised the problems with our VWs gear ration's isn't that bad!
 
The Schwimm whatever reaffirmed my hatred for VWs.

How does a truck with 80 horsepower lose traction with sports softs?
 
Haha, I was half expecting somebody to claim they had beaten it stock!
I probably over modded, but hey I now have a tooled up 'wagen in a gay shade of Purple! :) Shame we didn't have to race across a lake as part of the challenge though.
 
Haha, I was half expecting somebody to claim they had beaten it stock!
I probably over modded, but hey I now have a tooled up 'wagen in a gay shade of Purple! :) Shame we didn't have to race across a lake as part of the challenge though.

Mine is in that tan color to represent the Afrika Korps team.
 
When I was "gifted" the Scwimmerwagen on my birthday (I guess they give you the closest car in age as my birthyear is 1943) I thought "what the hell am I going to do with this thing???"

It turned out to be a nice present as I collected the credits without laying out for the beast.

In regard to playing at my age... why not, here is a photo of the car I actually drive. Just wish it was in GT so I could really let it loose.
driveway1762.jpg
 
The Schwimm whatever reaffirmed my hatred for VWs.

How does a truck with 80 horsepower lose traction with sports softs?

Simple... it's a bathtub on wheels. Every time you brake the bath tips over. Every time you turn, the bath tips over.

Best driving tip? Don't spill the bath water. Sharp turns also make you lose speed. To maintain momentum, I take the last corner wide enough to enter the pits... just clipping the pit barrier on the drive back onto the straight... :lol:
 
Can't bring myself to purchase either of the wagons regardless of how much coin I have... Those and the bus are garbage and a complete waste of effort by PD. I'm almost insulted by their presence in the game... I did not buy a racing game to drive slow ass crapboxes... Just my opinion though!

👍 agreed. this also goes for 90% of the crappy japanese ****boxes with less than 100 hp

or just not have any trucks at all? i don't see the point of racing them. unless they add a virtual home depot or something, why give me a truck? i'm not hauling anything. i just don't get it

By extension of that logic, why have anything other than the FGT and the X2010?

It's a hell of a lot of fun to throw the slower cars around on the more technical tracks; they reward smooth driving and being able to choose the right passing zones. Besides, the more I play GT, the more I'm convinced that it's not a "racing" game, rather, it's a game for people who just love anything with 4 wheels. Hell, I almost wouldn't be surprised if GT6 had a lorry driving challenge. Personally I think that would be great fun.
 
Didn't like having to dump this much money into an event that was poorly thought out, but hey its more races..
 
Didn't like having to dump this much money into an event that was poorly thought out, but hey its more races..


Oh, I thought it was hilarious. I had decided before entering any of this round of races that I was just going to do Sport Softs, ECU tune, and Stage 1 lighten on each car. I actually laughed when I entered this event and saw what I was up against. S800? 800 Sports? Yeah, I knew I was screwed... and I realized someone at PD has a sense of humor! It was also a bit of a poke at those who view these events as nothing more than a quick hit of cash. This one, even if you go the cheapest route possible (without having the Schwimmwagen already or getting it through a birthday glitch), it's still not going to net you a big payday. This event seems designed purely for fun - fun for the designers, that is!
 
Did anyone notice that you can put a sports ecu and sports cat on the swimming wagon? (I know It's spelt wrong 👍). I very much doubt that cars from the 40's had engine management or catylitic converters :lol:. Or is it common to put ecu's in older cars when tuning? I'm not knowledgeable on this side of things.
 
I have to disagree with those who think this was a waste of time or an "insult" to the game. This was a complete blast once I changed the transmission.

The first time around though, I've got to admit I was pissed off chugging around a 50MPH banging off the rev limiter. I am a huge car nut, but I am a complete newby at GT with GT5 being the first I have tried of the series. I have gradually gotten more confident and have been trying to do all of the events with minimal mods. So, the stock trip around the circut was painfull.

Once I upgraded the transmission and some power (I think to around 77HP) and sport softs, stock suspension, I was good to go.

Man, once you get a little speed you had better keep the early 911 mantra of "Don't lift in the corner" firmly in your mind. With this, I had a blast cruising around the corners. Sure you don't get the flashy sensation of speed, but taming the quirky handling makes up for that, and then some.

Just flying by and hearing some of those poor little cars banging off the rev limiter like crazy was absolutely hilarious. I am all for the quirky challenges, bring em on.
 
Back