Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
I quite fancy those WEC-like rims, though...
Toyota UK had a go...

thumbs_Toyota-GT86-Le-Mans-2.jpg

I really like it. Would have to change the front bumper immediately though.

I have, reluctantly, noticed that the 86 front bumper doesn't look as bad in person as it does in press photos. They somehow manage to capture its worst angles in every single press photo. I still think it's the worst face of any of the ZN6 variants, however.

Next gen car may be previewed at Tokyo. Rumor has it that a 2.4 liter engine may replace the 2.0. I think that would be fantastic, as the 2.0 was never a "sweet" engine and an unsweet engine without torque is just kind of a dud. Like a diet coke that isn't even cold.

I have, reluctantly, noticed that the 86 front bumper doesn't look as bad in person as it does in press photos. They somehow manage to capture its worst angles in every single press photo. I still think it's the worst face of any of the ZN6 variants, however.
I would like to disagree. At least in white. It looks like a whale. I really liked the older version.

Next gen car may be previewed at Tokyo. Rumor has it that a 2.4 liter engine may replace the 2.0. I think that would be fantastic, as the 2.0 was never a "sweet" engine and an unsweet engine without torque is just kind of a dud. Like a diet coke that isn't even cold.
That's cool. To me, it's like if Porsche were to make a modern day 924. Though they'd most likely put that 718 4-cylinder under the bonnet, I like that it has the flat-4.

A slightly better looking 86 with a slightly better engine and a slightly better interior would transform the whole thing from merely quite good to chuffing brilliant.

I wonder how much "purity" it will be able to retain in opposition to the trends and regulations it must abide by, compared to back in 2012. I also hope it doesn't follow the A90's lead on interior design.

I wonder how much "purity" it will be able to retain in opposition to the trends and regulations it must abide by, compared to back in 2012. I also hope it doesn't follow the A90's lead on interior design.

I think there's a reasonable chance there. At the Supra launch in July, we were prepped on the 2020 lineup changes. In addition to the Hakone, in Canada, Toyota's straight up dropping the automatic model for the base 86, citing low sales. The overall ratio for all the trims favours the manual, too.

I imagine the business case rests on how profitable it is for Toyota and Subaru to do the whole thing again. Probably on an only slightly modified chassis is my guess, to avoid ballooning out the costs for what still is, at the end of the day, a niche model. Though I do wonder if there'd be some way to squeeze a sedan out of it, like a reborn Altezza of sorts...

I imagine the business case rests on how profitable it is for Toyota and Subaru to do the whole thing again. Probably on an only slightly modified chassis is my guess, to avoid ballooning out the costs for what still is, at the end of the day, a niche model. Though I do wonder if there'd be some way to squeeze a sedan out of it, like a reborn Altezza of sorts...
I think Corona would be a perfect nameplate to revive for that idea. :)

I wonder if they could do a liftback without compromising the unibody structure. It would really improve the practicality of the car.

From 3 weeks ago:

86 and Supra chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said that development on the next-generation 86 is underway and that it should be better than the new BMW-co-developed Supra.

"We have a new 86 team," said Tada-san. "We have to make a new 86 that surpasses the Supra…that is what the customer expects."

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29991...-surpass-the-supra-says-toyota-chief-engineer

Since then, a facelifted BRZ has been running around the Nurburgring meaning the successor is most likely a long ways away

2021-subaru-brz-facelift-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100720161_h.jpg

2021-subaru-brz-facelift-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100720164_h.jpg

2021-subaru-brz-facelift-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100720167_h.jpg

There's a new intake design, a reshaped trunk lid, and slightly changed taillights.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080677_2021-subaru-brz-spy-shots

I saw this. I think it looks a lot more like a mild facelift of the current Toyota 86. The front end and headlights are near identical. I see "BRZ" written on the trunklid, but I don't think it's the Subaru.

They can't make an 86 better than the Supra or it would cost more than the Supra. And nobody would buy them. So not sure where they are going with that.

They can't make an 86 better than the Supra or it would cost more than the Supra. And nobody would buy them. So not sure where they are going with that.
Make it a proper lift back, maybe a bit longer? Make it a bit more useable as a daily driver IMHO.

Or improve interior to the level of the Corolla hatchback lol.

My brother was looking at buying one a few years ago, he lost interest after sitting inside at the auto show.

Supra is low volume though. It's almost like doing the Celica & Supra. Keeping one a four-cylinder and the other a six. I'm sure more people bought Celicas than Supras, in each generation.

Everything I read on the FT-86 forums indicates that the quote from Tada-san, actually an old quote that has been re-quoted, has been completely taken out of context and further misinterpreted. I can't find the original discussion with linked articles but I believe what he meant to say is that the new 86 will be lighter with a lower COG compared to the new Supra and it would have better balance and better handling. Not that the car would be "better" in general terms.

The 86 is still a 2+2 as opposed to the Supra which is a pure 2-seater, right? When I first saw the latter's interior, I was even surprised that it really only sits two, despite being bigger.

The 86 is still a 2+2 as opposed to the Supra which is a pure 2-seater, right? When I first saw the latter's interior, I was even surprised that it really only sits two, despite being bigger.
The 86 is a 2+2 in the same way the GTR or 911 is lol.

Well, maybe a bit better.

Back