Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
The 86 is a 2+2 in the same way the GTR or 911 is lol.

Well, maybe a bit better.

If you have a short friend you can slide the passenger seat far enough forward to fit a someone in the back. Tall people can fit, but they're gonna have a stiff neck and legs if they're back there more than a few minutes.

You literally can't fit a piece of paper between the front and rear on the driver side with the seat as far back as it'll go, though.

If you have a short friend you can slide the passenger seat far enough forward to fit a someone in the back. Tall people can fit, but they're gonna have a stiff neck and legs if they're back there more than a few minutes.

You literally can't fit a piece of paper between the front and rear on the driver side with the seat as far back as it'll go, though.
Rofl I tried sitting once on the rear of the driver's seat inside a BRZ and oh boy, I instantly felt being squashed there, despite the fact it was adjusted already. My conclusion is that they're only good for kids. :lol:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/next-gen-toyota-gt86subaru-brz-way-more-power

The next generation GT86 will be called the GR86 to bring in line with the Gazoo Racing branding
It will be built on Toyota's TNGA platform
it'll switch to the turbo 2.4L engine found in the Ascent, Legacy and Outback which produces 255bhp in the Ascent
Toyota is considering hybridization of their sports cars, but only when the weight of the systems are reduced
They considered a hybrid system in the GR Yaris

Last edited:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/next-gen-toyota-gt86subaru-brz-way-more-power

The next generation GT86 will be called the GR86 to bring in line with the Gazoo Racing branding
It will be built on Toyota's TNGA platform
it'll switch to the turbo 2.4L engine found in the Ascent, Legacy and Outback which produces 255bhp in the Ascent
Toyota is considering hybridization of their sports cars, but only when the weight are the systems are reduced
They considered a hybrid system in the GR Yaris

I have my doubts about them switching to a 2.4 turbo. I could see an N/A version of that engine being used...which, frankly, would be just about right. The 86/BRZ is fast enough, it just has a **** torque curve and torque to weight ratio. I've always thought a half-liter of extra displacement would cure that car's problem. Having a turbo model optional would be great though.

The GT86 does need more power, though. It's not just the torque curve. I've had mine for 4 years now, and it does need more power. 225hp and way more torque in the midrange is what it should have had from the start. Even with the upgrades mine is producing 215hp, and it still feels just a tad too slow for its handling behavior.

Can't say I like the idea of a turbocharged engine in the chassis, but surely a more potent NA block would keep the car's DNA in a better way, in my opinion.

Wasn't the whole point of the car, was to keep cost low and provide a base for people to customise as they wish? In keeping with its DNA, it should have low power with good handling.

They next car should be lighter with better handling. Not be a baby Supra(even though I did liken the 86 to a baby LFA :) ).

With no Celica model, there is a gap between the Supra and 86 that the 86 does fill. I just think that's where a model like the GRMN 86, offered that upgraded performance option.

Wasn't the whole point of the car, was to keep cost low and provide a base for people to customise as they wish? In keeping with its DNA, it should have low power with good handling.

Except the GT86 never ended up as a cheap car, in fact, I think it has become pretty expensive.
The maintenance costs of the car are low, it's all standard Toyota and Subaru parts. But to buy one new? I think it's an expensive car.

Except the GT86 never ended up as a cheap car, in fact, I think it has become pretty expensive.
The maintenance costs of the car are low, it's all standard Toyota and Subaru parts. But to buy one new? I think it's an expensive car.
For sure. On debut, over here, the BR-Z was nearly $10k more than the entry level 86($29k). However, the BR-Z did come with(trying to remember when I worked for a Subaru dealer) a couple of services include in the pricing.

Edit:
Prices start from $38,520 RDP* for the Subaru BRZ manual, and goes up to $46,680 RDP* for the Subaru BRZ tS automatic.
From that article(2.4L 255hp), I think that price would be at least $10k higher.

Last edited:
Do you expect the price of that GT86 to be on par or lower than the price of a Corolla in top trim? If so, why?

Due to the new EU emissions target coming into play, the Subaru BRZ is now retailing at a whopping cost of £32,000!! :scared: In other words, that's £4,160 more than it was last year.

Subaru has introduced substantial price increases to all models in its UK line-up for 2020.

Quietly introduced last month, the price hikes are much more significant than with normal cyclical updates. The starting price for the firm’s BRZ sports car, for example, has risen £4160 to £31,995. That represents a 15% premium over its previous cost, and means the BRZ now costs £4165 more than its Toyota GT86 sibling.

Source: Autocar

Subaru has also increased prices across the whole range, which paints a bleak picture for the future of Subaru in the UK and EU. Unless they fast track the release of their EV (currently scheduled for a 2025 release), they will be priced out of every market they are in

Their product is hardly a sales hit here as it is. I'd wager they'd be best off stopping sales of all models until their engines are available without uncompetitive price hikes.

Due to the new EU emissions target coming into play, the Subaru BRZ is now retailing at a whopping cost of £32,000!! :scared: In other words, that's £4,160 more than it was last year.

Source: Autocar

Subaru has also increased prices across the whole range, which paints a bleak picture for the future of Subaru in the UK and EU. Unless they fast track the release of their EV (currently scheduled for a 2025 release), they will be priced out of every market they are in
I don't know if y'all get special luxurious Subarus or what, but over here they're middle of the pack. They sell well because of their reputation for safety and usefulness in the half of the country that gets snow, but besides that they have zero business being particularly expensive. Mazda holds that candle, except they're relatively low volume and have much nicer presentation than any of their competition.

I don't know if y'all get special luxurious Subarus or what, but over here they're middle of the pack.

We still get the regular editions the US does, but any model built within the last decade is a rare sight, at least in cities where their AWD tech isn't much of a selling point. They were much more prominent when they were competing in the WRC and a brand new Impreza WRX would cost as much as a Ford Fiesta ST-3 does today.

Without searching for actual figures, which can be a pain in the arse to do, Toyota appears to sell four GT86s for every BRZ in the UK anyway - according to what's available to buy used on Autotrader. Toyota dealerships are much more plentiful here, so those who bought the BRZ were probably die hard Subaru fans. Given that Toyota haden't sold anything that would interest enthusiasts in the UK for some time before the GT86, i imagined at the time that Subaru, with Impreza WRXs still fresh in peoples minds, would sell at least as many BRZs as Toyota could sell GT86s. Perhaps those first reviews that placed the Toyota as the slightly better handler put paid to that.

Launch timeline leaked

[3/23/20] A MASSIVE leak has just unveiled a plethora of plans for Toyota and Lexus over the next few years so let’s dive right in! First up is the all new BRZ and GR86 (yep no more GT86) which will be on a new platform with a 255HP Turbocharged engine, better interior and of course RWD coming in July of 2021. Then a Camry refresh in 2021 with a new generation in 2024 and a Avalon refresh in 2022. Then a new 2021 Corolla Crossover and the Venza is coming back.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then comes the all new 4Runner and Sequoia coming in 2022 based on the all new 2021 Tundra that will ride on the all new TNGA-F chassis. These will get a TwinTurbo Hybrid V6 and NO MORE V8. Then a new 2024 Tacoma. Lexus is killing off V8 models under the $90k price point and an all new TwinTurbo V8 will debut in the 2022 LC-F. The LS and ES are getting a 2022 refresh and the GS if being killed off and replaced with a Lexus version of the new RWD Toyota Mirai sedan. The all new IS is coming for 2021. An all new NX is coming on the new TNGA-K platform with a new 14in Touchscreen and 5 different powertrains. An all new RX is coming in 2023 and the GX is being replaced in 2023 with a new model. The LX is going to be insane with a TT V6 hybrid in 2022 and will compete with the Bentayga with a TT V8Land. The Landcruiser on the other hand will be turned into a stripped out off roader and lose any sort of luxury focus in favor of hardcore off roading.

91063400_508660203354406_6463611503557217409_n.jpg

I really don.t have much to say. It's going to be awesome watching these models debut. That Landcruiser will be something.

I'm not believing that 255hp turbo engine until I see it. I think people are just taking speculation as fact there. This leaked image doesn't mention it at all.

I'm not believing that 255hp turbo engine until I see it. I think people are just taking speculation as fact there. This leaked image doesn't mention it at all.

Apparently it's going to be a 2.4L. So for countries like mine, that's the GT86 as an affordable sportscar out the window...

And it is happening.

I'm all for natural aspiration, but if it's not a K20 style revver, it's going to be pretty languid again.

Back