Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
I really disliked the outgoing Toyota front end. It looks like the car just spat out a lemon, and the flipped angle of the opening makes the front corners awkward, both OEM and aftermarket.

The BRZ always looked better and more cohesive to me; a happy face for a happy car, and the "mouth guard" was almost like a legitimate bumper.

I really disliked the outgoing Toyota front end. It looks like the car just spat out a lemon, and the flipped angle of the opening makes the front corners awkward, both OEM and aftermarket.

The BRZ always looked better and more cohesive to me; a happy face for a happy car, and the "mouth guard" was almost like a legitimate bumper.
Yeah the outgoing 86 looks worse than the first model.

Man I love this picture.
FB_IMG_16057424534849429.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing how not gigantic it looks even in that forced perspective. Of course I know it's not a big car, but that's an impressively flattering side-by-side when compared to other photos of modern cars and their predecessors or older cousins.

The BRZ/86 has always been just about perfect in size. And the low engine and modestly sized wheels have enabled them to achieve greenhouse to hip line proportions more similar to 90s cars than today's. To be honest...I'm getting pretty tempted. I've always said that the BRZ would be nearly perfect with another half-liter of displacement and better exterior/interior styling. This is pretty much exactly that.

The BRZ/86 has always been just about perfect in size. And the low engine and modestly sized wheels have enabled them to achieve greenhouse to hip line proportions more similar to 90s cars than today's. To be honest...I'm getting pretty tempted. I've always said that the BRZ would be nearly perfect with another half-liter of displacement and better exterior/interior styling. This is pretty much exactly that.
I was putting serious consideration towards replacing Ryoko next year with a Coxster, but this shot up to the top of my list to be honest. It's much more impressive of a refresh than I was expecting. Something about it (I think it's the really low beltline and hood height/front fender valley) just feels like a C4 that they sliced half a foot of overhang off the front; or an FD3S. Like they took the body and melted it around the drivetrain, with nothing on the car that wasn't necessary to fit everything in it. That level of compactness isn't something I think the original car looked to have even though it was basically identical in size:

2022-Suburu-BRZ-02-800x450.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Like even knowing that the new one is technically the larger car, something about it makes it look smaller. Probably that they actually broke up the space in the middle of the car.

Last edited:
Not my favorite youtuber has made a video from the press event which gives a little more info. Most interesting to me is this:

FiPsT89.jpg

If it's apples to apples with the power graph from the last car...
2017-subaru-brz-performance-pack-first-drive.jpg

...the torque dip is effectively gone. Rejoice! Granted, that's not the most exciting looking torque curve I've ever seen, but it should be a fair bit more useable than the current car.

edit: the car sounds a bit better (but still honest) than the current car based on the onboard footage.

Last edited:
Wait. I hate that molded section on the front bumper for a front plate. If the Toyota version doesn't have that it would sway my purchase. I'm assuming it won't, since it will be sold in places that don't use the US/JPN plate shape.

Last edited:
The original FD didn't have that hideous goiter on the front.

D:

99 spec is overrated. Give me the beefcake Miata look anyday, especially in competition yellow mica.

(Off topic: I saw an FD a few days ago for the first time in a really long time. They are truly stop-you-in-your-tracks gorgeous those cars. Perhaps one of the most purposeful and athletic car designs ever, basically perfect)

Where would a side mounted plate go?
I would get the thing I bought for my Cadillac, which mounts to the lower valance and has the plate float in front of the the front bumper:

IMG_20200326_140229.jpg

The company made one for the original BreezeFrees, so I'm sure they would have done one for the new one. Even with the BRZ having that bump I'd probably do the same thing anyway.

Last edited:
Last night, I saw the reveal video on the latest Subaru BRZ. As much as I liked the previous "Sciaru BRZFRS," the new BRZ looks gorgeous! The new model boasts excellent body lines and some nice head lights. When I saw the YouTube comments on this car, they mentioned Subaru did not mention their boxer/horizontally-opposed engine was made in conjunction with Toyota, as if they get the impression Subaru didn't create this whole thing by themselves without any outside involvement.

I am very intrigued about the new BRZ, but not overwhelmingly intrigued.

I wish the new BRZ looked a bit more fierce around the rear and headlights, but the overall shape appears sleeker than the predecessor. I could perhaps understand the soft design quirks if the BRZ had a bigger relative like the 86 has the Supra, but unfortunate fact is that Subaru hasn’t had a luxurious sports car since the flawed but bold SVX.

I do agree the styling is fussy and overdone. Like the C8 Corvette. They should have stopped with the extranenous curves and lines long ago.

Further the largely carry over drivetrain albeit with more capacity feels like to me that they have a 10yr plan. They kind of know that 2030/35 is the last year for this kind of car so and then they will slowly expand the capacity (like the Porsche 944s?) and then for the final non EV edition they will suddenly make it a turbo four like everyone originally wanted in 2012 and that will be the end of this car.

Its becoming a more cynical process as it goes along.

It's a bit cleaner, and no licence plate bump; though it's also a bit less aggressive. I'd need to see them in the flesh.

Last edited:
I wonder what else they'll change because that bumper is so similar you wouldn't notice one way or the other. I suppose it's not much different than when the cars debuted. They really need to try harder to make them unique.

Back