Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
I didn't like the chunky clunky WRX gearbox either. I suppose that also explains the new WRX styling, Toyota have poisoned Subaru :mad:

It's like, when they unveiled the new styling:

SUBARU: "The next Impreza platform will be available as a hatchback"

ME: "YEAAHSSS!!! WOOOT! FINALLY!! OH YE....

SUBARU: "And this is how it looks..."

ME: "OH NOOOO!!!!"

My SVX-driving friend has his hopes set on the return of a 6-cylinder Subaru sports GT. I think Subaru would be foolish to make their version RWD only, though. Maybe the AWD will be saved for the top-end high-performance version? And Toyota will get it too?

Bah, it's much too early for us to be talking about things like that.

At any rate, if Subaru does bring back the Alcyone, let's get it right, people -- "al - SIGH - uh - nee." ;) Though I suppose that applies to the star, not necessarily the car.

By the way, am I the only one that is almost completely uninterested in the Toyota version of this project? I'm all for the return of the Supra or an "AE86 revival," but the boxer engine positively screams "LOL, SHARED PLATFORM." Why even bother if Toyota can't give it their own flavor?

It's like, when they unveiled the new styling:

SUBARU: "The next Impreza platform will be available as a hatchback"

ME: "YEAAHSSS!!! WOOOT! FINALLY!! OH YE....

SUBARU: "And this is how it looks..."

ME: "OH NOOOO!!!!"
One forum I visit lamented having wished for an AWD MazdaSpeed 3. :lol:

And, I think due to the Porsche connection for the boxer engine, I always think that the coupe at first will be rear-engined. 360 aside, did either company ever produce a rear-engined car?

Ever since Toyota took over Subaru, it's been nothing but pure poop. As a long-time (and often-repeated) Subaru owner and fan, I have no -- and I mean zero -- hope for this car being worth more than a used 2001 Celica.

But I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I see the trend that Toyota lineup would be more focus on FWD chassis. Subaru will take care AWD department and Lexus will do RWD. I always love to see them do something different for a change, but they seem to be slow following the other companies' attempt.

I'd scream if it was a hatchback to start... as if the front end of those cars weren't awkward enough!

Well, I always wondered when Subaru would ever make a 4WD hatchback....next up, Mid-engine, 4WD pocket rocket!

At any rate, if Subaru does bring back the Alcyone, let's get it right, people -- "al - SIGH - uh - nee." ;) Though I suppose that applies to the star, not necessarily the car.

It's "al - cee - on"....much cooler that way! :cool:

If you're just going on this picture: < http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsGallery.aspx?AR=232133&EL=-1&IM=169710 >, then I think this is going to be an absolutely beautiful car. I don't like that little vertical portion on the front bumper going on the link I posted. Subaru doesn't need to go back to the abomination of a design they used on machines like the B9 Tribeca. I'm glad this design was buried six feet deep. What the hell were Subaru thinking/smoking when they came up with that design?

Anyhow, back to this concept. This design is promising to me. The front reminds me of the latest Hyundai Tiburon. You can bet this can be a favorite among the sport compact types. It may even serve as a great car for compact enthusiasts. I'm guessing this will be a RWD sport coupe for both companies. Toyota has had themselves some very cool sports cars. The MKIV Supra stands out best to me, not to mention one of my all-time favorite sports cars (and the Supra's ancestor)- the Toyota 2000GT. I only know Subaru for the Impreza and all the Imprezas that went racing on and off road. If Toyota and Subaru will be looking to have compact RWD cars, one has to wonder when American companies will do the same and have success with them. Someone made a comment as to if there could be a RWD Scion tC in the works. Funny enough, I came across this gallery: < http://www.autoblog.com/photos/rs-r-formula-drift-scion-tc/741380 >. Sure offers some speculation. I am a fan of Ken Gushi (as well as Samuel Hübinette, Tanner Foust, "Mad Skills" Rhys Millen, and even Tyler McQuarrie). If Gushi can kick butt with this Scion tC much the same way he's kicked some butt with his wicked Mustang, then think about if there was a limited edition of RWD Scion tC's that look and perform like the RS*R Scion tC, even without the GT-type spoiler. Think Scion or Toyota would do such a project?

Slim it down a bit... but a very bold design that appears to fit the philosophies of the people at Subaru. That design shouldn't be the one carrying rear-wheel drive, though; lines suggest more of a front-driver.

Just because it's shaped like an FWD car doesn't mean it will probably be one. Someone who don't know crap about the Renault Sport Clio (the mid/RWD one) would probably say it's a bad-looking FWD hot hatch. That is, until you show that person the engine at the back and its RWD configuration. I always still think the most recent Eclipse could be one of two things- having a RWD or 4WD configuration rather than its FWD layout, or (not likely) make it a RWD car... only widen the body, drop in a larger engine with higher performance characteristics, and boom! Mitsubishi supercar.

The link I provided from Autocar seems like a beautiful design (at least to me). Most of the design elements seem like a recent Tiburon, but I love it. I love it as long as they don't ugly it up to where nobody wants to even be around one. I can see it as a swoopy RWD coupe, but I can't really see it as a 4WD machine. It's highly unlikely that design will suggest a FWD car. Only unlikely thing would be if a mid-engined version of this car was created with RWD to revive America's most affordable mid-engined car- the MR series (MR2, MR-S).

Seeing it again, I have to agree. It just looks that way at first to my tastes. But, the fact that many FR cars out there are less squared may have influenced my opinion.

Just because it's shaped like an FWD car doesn't mean it will probably be one.

It's Toyota. And post-2006 Subaru. It will be front-wheel drive. I have no faith that this will be a rear-wheel-drive car. My faith in this one is 0%.

And no, it's not a bad looking car. It's just far too small for a company like Toyota (or even Subaru) to make this all-wheel-drive, let alone rear-wheel-drive. It's just not in the company's history or philosophy.

Well, how would you change up the dimensions or other internals if you were part of the design crew for this car?

Someone who don't know crap about the Renault Sport Clio (the mid/RWD one) would probably say it's a bad-looking FWD hot hatch. That is, until you show that person the engine at the back and its RWD configuration.

They'd have to not just know crap about the car, but crap about cars in general to overlook the gaping intakes on the side! Although it reminds me of the cars out there that do look like they deserve different drivetrains; the old Del Sol always looked like it should be a mid-engine car to me (and I know there was at least one company in Japan that turned it into just that).

That blue sketch does have an FWD stance, but I think if they've announced intentions of building a RWD car, it's not going to be released as an FWD as someone just said they believe it will be. That doesn't make any sense. I still don't think Subaru should even offer the RWD version, and leave it to Toyota, because it's a win-win situation: they keep the AWD image they've strived so hard to build, and Toyota gets the enthusiasts kudos a rear-driver brings to their vanilla lineup.

Honestly, give me a light (say, 2500-2700lb in the case of the Toyota version, with just two driven wheels) car and a 200hp version of the naturally-aspirated 2.5 and I'd be happy. My far-out ideas of a Alcyone topping the Subaru lineup with huge power probably wouldn't work with a platform that's supposed to be small and light, so an affordable alternative to the really expensive and heavy 1-series is the next best thing.

It's just far too small for a company like Toyota (or even Subaru) to make this all-wheel-drive, let alone rear-wheel-drive. It's just not in the company's history or philosophy.
Too small? There's no such a thing as too small to make it AWD for Subaru nor too small to make it RWD for Toyota. It's certainly in the history of both companies, think of the old Subaru Justy or the old Toyota Starlet. Both were tiny but they were AWD and RWD respectively.

Too small? There's no such a thing as too small to make it AWD for Subaru nor too small to make it RWD for Toyota. It's certainly in the history of both companies, think of the old Subaru Justy or the old Toyota Starlet. Both were tiny but they were AWD and RWD respectively.

Or the MR2 or early Impreza as well. Or the XT or GL liftback thingers.

Or the TA70 Celica, tiny little thing, RWD.

Well, how would you change up the dimensions or other internals if you were part of the design crew for this car?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking "why is it too short for rear-wheel-drive"...then I think the answer is obvious. :odd:

Yes, but we're not talking the 1980's here, when safety standards were worlds away from how they are now. Back then you could actually sell a car that folded up like a tin can, all in the effort to make it front-engined and rear-wheel-drive. Today, a car that small can be one of two things: front-engined & front-wheel-drive, or rear-engined & rear-wheel-drive. Given the fact that the latter platform does not exist yet, it's doubtful Toyota would spend that much money on a car for Subaru that they wouldn't also badge a Toyota. If they *do* make a Toyota version, the chances that such a car would be rear-wheel-drive are quite slim.

I'm just taking into consideration what both Subaru and Toyota have right now, and what Toyota's general philosophy is. Add all that up and you simply don't come up with a mid-engined sports car.

Word on the street is...

subarufr.500_450-op.jpg

Autoblog
Inside Line is reporting that the new, RWD coupe being developed by Subaru and Toyota will only be sold as a Subaru in markets outside of Japan, while the Toyota version will remain exclusive to the Land of the Rising Sun. The report goes on to say that the coupe will be based off the Subaru Impreza (despite Toyota/Subaru's own press release saying that it's an "all-new" platform) and that power will be provided by a naturally aspirated, 2.0-liter boxer engine producing 220 hp at 6,500 rpm.

Toyota and Subaru are using the Integra Type-R as the performance benchmark for the new coupe, with a 103-inch wheelbase, a 2+2 seating layout and a curb weight of 2,866 pounds. As reported before, the coupe will debut in 2011 and pricing is expected to begin just south of $20,000.

Hey, as long as its lightweight, it won't be that big of a deal. Actually, it reminds me a lot of the Celica... I'd just need an extra 90 BHP (lol).

Indeed....It'd make a better WRC car than what they have now, that's for sure. Might spur ol' Mitsubishi to make the Eclipse more like a Lancer Ralliart.

Latest Posts

Back