Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments

I'm not sure I would want the gearing to be any shorter. The 4.3 final drive in the current car is almost too short as it is. And with the bigger torquier engine it really wouldn't need it.

It's especially weird since the BRZ was the premium offering of the two in the first generation.

That was only in North America with the Scion FR-S pre-facelift, when they only offered the base level trim. Everywhere else Toyota had a higher trim level comparable to Subaru. Then after the facelift, after the Scion brand got killed off, North American Toyota 86s got the nice trim as well. Which was why I waited until 2018 to get mine, because the FR-S interior looked too cheap.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would want the gearing to be any shorter. The 4.3 final drive in the current car is almost too short as it is. And with the bigger torquier engine it really wouldn't need it.

That was only in North America with the Scion FR-S pre-facelift, when they only offered the base level trim. Everywhere else Toyota had a higher trim level comparable to Subaru. Then after the facelift, after the Scion brand got killed off, North American Toyota 86s got the nice trim as well. Which was why I waited until 2018 to get mine, because the FR-S interior looked too cheap.
Here, in Australia, the BRZ S was the higher trim spec and at a premium price, to the top trim 86 GTS.

Don't know where each are in pricing today.

So Toyota and Subaru are preparing a joint announcement on April 5th. The obvious answer is that its something related to the BRZ/86. However, that doesn't make a lot of sense considering the Subaru version was already revealed. It could be a higher performance version of the BRZ/86 or another vehicle based on the same platform. What I'm really, really, really hoping for (despite absolutely no evidence nor really any plausible reason) is a new MR2 from Toyota and a badge version of that vehicle for Subaru (SVX?), but I'm not getting my hopes up.

ACytS73.jpg

If the image above is representative of the car they are unveiling...well, it certainly could be the BRZ GT86 though the hood line appears to be closer to the badge and slightly more curved, to my eyes, than I see on photos of the new BRZ. However, who knows what kind of lens they used - foreshortening is a thing.

2022-Subaru-BRZ-couple-blue-1001x565-1.jpg

giphy.gif

What I'm really, really, really hoping for (despite absolutely no evidence nor really any plausible reason) is a new MR2 from Toyota and a badge version of that vehicle for Subaru (SVX?)
As car enthusiasts I’m sure we’d all hope for that, but step back and reread that... does that make any sense at all?

They are coming together to announce a new Celica and Alcyone, which will both be based on the F48 platform.

I would totally support a new Brat based on the BRZ (Bratz?) with a hybrid version of the 2.4 with a manual gearbox. In fact, I'm not sure I would like anything than that. Does it get Ever-Betterer than that?

As car enthusiasts I’m sure we’d all hope for that, but step back and reread that... does that make any sense at all?

Do you know what "qualifier" means?

Last edited:
What better cars could Toyota/Subaru make together?

They both make tough reliable cars.

Better hybrids?
Better AWD cars?
Better small cars?
Better SUVs?

Is this a new factory? New customer experiences?
Subaru Australia revealed, certain dealerships in Victoria, under Trivett, are now making car prices fixed. No haggling.

Is it necessarily a car they will reveal?

What better cars could Toyota/Subaru make together?

They both make tough reliable cars.

Better hybrids?
Better AWD cars?
Better small cars?
Better SUVs?

Is this a new factory? New customer experiences?
Subaru Australia revealed, certain dealerships in Victoria, under Trivett, are now making car prices fixed. No haggling.

Is it necessarily a car they will reveal?
Toyota already makes better hybrids, better AWD cars (Toyota's offroad traction control is vastly superior to Subaru's), better small cars, and better SUVs. Basically anything these two companies do together is effectively Toyota dragging along Subaru for the ride.

Recently Subaru has been teasing on their Instagram about some hardcore off-road version debuting soon. Not really sure how they could make the Outback more hardcore besides getting rid of that stupid CVT for a torque converter. That one single change might make it best in class.

I bet this announcement is something lame like they've got a joint factory or extended partnership or something. I'll be surprised if it's anything more.

Last edited:
Toyota already makes better hybrids, better AWD cars (Toyota's offroad traction control is vastly superior to Subaru's), better small cars, and better SUVs. Basically anything these two companies do together is effectively Toyota dragging along Subaru for the ride.

Recently Subaru has been teasing on their Instagram about some hardcore off-road version debuting soon. Not really sure how they could make the Outback more hardcore besides getting rid of that stupid CVT for a torque converter. That one single change might make it best in class.

I bet this announcement is something lame like they've got a joint factory or extended partnership or something. I'll be surprised if it's anything more.
I think there is a rumour of a Subaru version of the GR Yaris.

But yes, I'm thinking more of a marketing announcement.

I think there is a rumour of a Subaru version of the GR Yaris.

But yes, I'm thinking more of a marketing announcement.

What does Toyota get out of that? IIRC, the GR Yaris was developed entirely (shock!) by Toyota themselves. It doesn't fit Toyota's partnership MO - having another company do the heavy engineering and Toyota putting their designers and tuners to work making it a Toyota. I'm not saying it's definitely not a Subaru version of the Yaris GR, I just don't see why Toyota would do it.

What I could see is a jointly developed larger hot hatch. I'm not sure if they would use the Impreza platform or the Corolla platform (I'd guess the Impreza) but I could see the benefit for both there. Subaru hasn't had a WRX hatch since 2014 (despite a lot of people wanting one) and Toyota...I don't even remember. Maybe the old Matrix XRS?

What does Toyota get out of that? IIRC, the GR Yaris was developed entirely (shock!) by Toyota themselves. It doesn't fit Toyota's partnership MO - having another company do the heavy engineering and Toyota putting their designers and tuners to work making it a Toyota. I'm not saying it's definitely not a Subaru version of the Yaris GR, I just don't see why Toyota would do it.

What I could see is a jointly developed larger hot hatch. I'm not sure if they would use the Impreza platform or the Corolla platform (I'd guess the Impreza) but I could see the benefit for both there. Subaru hasn't had a WRX hatch since 2014 (despite a lot of people wanting one) and Toyota...I don't even remember. Maybe the old Matrix XRS?
This is the updated rumour https://www.caradvice.com.au/923172...oped-hot-hatch-could-launch-next-year-report/ from the initial rumour https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ne...ed-awd-screamer-in-the-works-to-sit-below-the

Last edited:
I sure hope they don't. I would never touch a Toyota with a Subaru engine. That's the only reason I've never considered an 86.
Same. I am actually SUPER interested in a GR Corolla if it has the 3-cylinder from the Yaris. If we get a Toyobaru with a boxer engine, I'll pass.

From that article:
According to Japanese reports, the top-secret project will produce a "comfortable AWD machine with a horizontally opposed engine installed vertically".

giphy.gif

Seriously though, wouldn't that put the output shaft of the engine like...right in your...uh...cupholder?

@Eunos_Cosmo -- What the eff is that rumor?? The only plausible explanation I can think of is that it is transverse, allowing for a narrower car while sparing longitudinal space for the transmission/transaxle.

Some highlights as they have given us a bit more information than Subaru of America's BRZ reveal:

The Toyota comes with red carpet. Blech.

The roof and front fenders are now aluminium to lower weight.

0-60 times have gone from 7.4 seconds to 6.3 seconds.

There doesn't seem to be much of a lower trim level, just the Japanese-only track-ready version with no infotainment system, and the full-fledged spec. This makes this no longer a cheap option in the United States, especially against the Miata.

There doesn't seem to be much of a lower trim level, just the Japanese-only track-ready version with no infotainment system, and the full-fledged spec. This makes this no longer a cheap option in the United States, especially against the Miata.

Are you sure? There is some pictures of a LHD GR86 that seems to be a lower trim level.

MinQ7Jw.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure? There is some pictures of a LHD GR86 that seems to be a lower trim level.

Not much of a trim change compared to the base 86 versus the 86 GT. In fact I may even think that that is a higher trim level, as there are more functional buttons on the steering wheel.

Not much of a trim change compared to the base 86 versus the 86 GT. In fact I may even think that that is a higher trim level, as there are more functional buttons on the steering wheel.

That’s true but the screen is smaller and the seats are less sporty. We’ll see. :)

Back