Screen flashing purple, green, pink

• Thread starter mostasti
  • 25 comments
Finland
Finland
Hi.

I have issue with flashing screen. Any other game doesn’t have problems. Tried to re-install game, different hdmi cable, settings and nothing helps.

This doesn’t happen with other games you stated, what about other content (i.e., TV, movies, etc…)? Something is clearly going on here, but it looks hardware-related and not due to the game software.
No, not in tv, movies or anything else. Only in GT7. I have also Xbox one and tried playstations hdmi cable in that and everything works perfectly.

You think its in hardware? Console is only three days old so very bad luck. 😅

No, not in tv, movies or anything else. Only in GT7. I have also Xbox one and tried playstations hdmi cable in that and everything works perfectly.

Very strange indeed.

I was actually suspecting your panel, but now I’m not so sure (you say the PS5 is only 3 days old, might be a dud sadly). Have you tried turning the DV and/or HDR off? I would definitely try some other games that utilize one or both of those features and see what happens.

EDIT: Are you forcing VRR on a TV that doesn’t support it?

Last edited:
Very strange indeed.

I was actually suspecting your panel, but now I’m not so sure (you say the PS5 is only 3 days old, might be a dud sadly). Have you tried turning the DV and/or HDR off? I would definitely try some other games that utilize one or both of those features and see what happens.

EDIT: Are you forcing VRR on a TV that doesn’t support it?
Tried to turn those off also earlier, didn’t change anything.

Definitely hardware related, and I would assume it is safe to say it is related to the PS itself rather than any of its output components (cables/TV) because there are frames where only the car is suffering artefacts - something I don't think would happen if it was anything other than a problem inside the PlayStation.

1661701385444.png
1661701399008.png

Exactly. If it was the cable or HDMI port, the flashing wouldn't differentiate between the ground/surroundings and the car.

It's either the game or the console and if you reinstalled it, it must be the console. I am no expert, but to me it looks like a dying GPU... i had the same issue on my PC playing Fallout 4 back in the day. I had very similar artifacts with green lights flashing.

Edit: I wonder, does it show the issues when recording with the PS internal video capture?

Last edited:

If the console is only 3 days old it shouldn’t be hard to return it and get replacement/refund. This definitely sounds like a hardware issue. Is the pS5 updated to the latest firmware? If so, take it back and ask for a replacement. You’ve probably been unlucky and got a dud, or it may have been damaged in transit.

The PS5 has a lot of options that could lead to issues if enabled when the TV doesn't support them.

The first thing I'd suggest is going into your console settings, to the display settings, and making sure everything is set to auto. Let the console decide what the correct setup for your TV is. If that's all at default and it continues, try reducing the max resolution to 1080p and turn HDR off. These steps aren't intended to fix the issue, but help identify what may be the issue.

In the game, as you're showing us replays, are you running the game in Frame Rate mode or Ray Tracing? Does your TV support HDR? What is the model number of your TV?

Definitely hardware related, and I would assume it is safe to say it is related to the PS itself rather than any of its output components (cables/TV) because there are frames where only the car is suffering artefacts - something I don't think would happen if it was anything other than a problem inside the PlayStation.

View attachment 1187700View attachment 1187701
Or there is a problem with your tv it could be on its way out

@mostasti

Can the playsi breath?
Vertikal or horizontal standing?
How old is youre tv?
Try to reduce the video transfer rate.
Settings/screen and video/ 4k video transfer rate to 1.

Thank you all for your help and support. Have tried literally every setting that has been mentioned here but nothing, returned everything in auto.

Tv is one year old Samsung oled, hdr in apple tv works perfectly in the tv and also 4k.

Contacted the shop that sold me the console and I will return it. Don’t know when I’ll get a new one as there isn’t consoles in Finland. All sold out.

Thank you all for your help and support. Have tried literally every setting that has been mentioned here but nothing, returned everything in auto.

Tv is one year old Samsung oled, hdr in apple tv works perfectly in the tv and also 4k.

Contacted the shop that sold me the console and I will return it. Don’t know when I’ll get a new one as there isn’t consoles in Finland. All sold out.
Before you return it I know you said you’ve tried everything but turn off HDR on the console. Might be pushing to much bandwidth over the HDMI port

Thats weird if it`s only gt7 how would it be the console? hmmm..
Different games utilise the GPU in different ways, and only GT7 is making use of whatever aspect is broken. Chances are there are other games where it'd happen, but OP presumably doesn't have a huge library to test.

I have tried without the hdr, nothing

Other games are Horizon Forbidden West as it was a bundle package and the pre-installed mini game on the console, don’t remember the name, am at work now. But in those games there are no issues.

If you're absolutely sure you've tried playing with all the settings for the various "Screen and Video" options on your PS5, I would take @mynameis66 's advice and test on another monitor if possible.

I had an issue with CoD MW (2019) caused my screen to display a jumbled mess. I actually had to turn off the monitor to reset it as I couldn't even exit back to the main PS5 screen pushing and holding the PS button. ....it wouldn't clear it otherwise.

What I had discovered was that the 120Hz setting was selected for "Automatic". CoD MW was the only game that had a problem but it was resolved by turning this setting to "Off". Technically, it shouldn't have been an issue (as it isn't with any other game I have) but sure enough, that cleared up the problem.

If you're absolutely sure you've tried playing with all the settings for the various "Screen and Video" options on your PS5, I would take @mynameis66 's advice and test on another monitor if possible.

I had an issue with CoD MW (2019) caused my screen to display a jumbled mess. I actually had to turn off the monitor to reset it as I couldn't even exit back to the main PS5 screen pushing and holding the PS button. ....it wouldn't clear it otherwise.

What I had discovered was that the 120Hz setting was selected for "Automatic". CoD MW was the only game that had a problem but it was resolved by turning this setting to "Off". Technically, it shouldn't have been an issue (as it isn't with any other game I have) but sure enough, that cleared up the problem.
That would be my absolute last attempt before returning it for a refund due to the fact how scarce the PS5 is.I remember not so long ago you returned a faulty product over the counter and walked out with a new working one,i cant believe there is still a shortage.

That would be my absolute last attempt before returning it for a refund due to the fact how scarce the PS5 is.I remember not so long ago you returned a faulty product over the counter and walked out with a new working one,i cant believe there is still a shortage.
Yeah, should be easy enough to hook it up and test out if hey have another TV readily available to try it out on. Quite frankly, that would have been my next move if I were in their shoes given that they are not experiencing any other issues with others games they play.

The absolute last straw for me would be to return it because as you said, it's not likely they will get a replacement anytime soon. I still have doubts at this point it's a hardware problem with the PS5. I'm still leaning toward a conflict problem.

Exactly. If it was the cable or HDMI port, the flashing wouldn't differentiate between the ground/surroundings and the car.

It's either the game or the console and if you reinstalled it, it must be the console. I am no expert, but to me it looks like a dying GPU... i had the same issue on my PC playing Fallout 4 back in the day. I had very similar artifacts with green lights flashing.

Edit: I wonder, does it show the issues when recording with the PS internal video capture?

I had time to try the internal video capture and it also flashes. So is the game broken?

Last edited:
I had time to try the internal video capture and it also flashes. So is the game broken?

It just confirms (I think) that it's not an issue with your TV or the HDMI connection, but instead something internal going wrong, most likely the GPU as mentioned before

It cannot be the game if you reinstalled it... if it was broken due to a corrupted download or faulty drive, it probably wouldn't start at all. It's either TV or console. Easiest way to check? Trying it on another TV. I still believe it's the console.

This looks very similar to your issue in the first couple seconds. The bright green flash atleast.

Last edited:
Back