Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Does the USA and JP versions have more racing tracks? Would be cool if we could port the necessary files over to PAL and then mod them. That would allow for more choice. But yeah, PAL has only 6 songs unfortunately.

All versions have 6 songs.

Does swapping music across different regions of GT2 work?

And yes and no. Each version ntsc/u, pal, or ntsc/j have different size music files. So you can only use the pal version in pal disc, but you can extract the songs and import them into another version music file. But sadly each is still different example ntsc/u longest song is 5:35 I think, where as pal longest song is 6:38, so tring to use that song in the ntsc/u music file would result in partial loss of song.

EDIT : Here you go everyone, the music mod v1.0 Its the full disc. Ntsc/u v1.2.

https://yadi.sk/d/t009yXEW3NYFXJ

And also here is Music mod v1.5, same songs as above, but the mod was taken further. This is the music file only, and will only work in ntsc/u v1.2, also you use it the same way as you would use a vol file.

https://yadi.sk/d/v5mhmVjg3NYFXu

Hope you all enjoy some new songs to race to!

Have fun!
B_Rad88

Last edited:
Progress report on the big GT2 video that I'm making!
Progress.png

So I had placed all the videos I had made into the project, but someone had deleted them off the computer and they became corrupt. I left in the videos where I had already made captions for them.

So I have put the rest of the videos in, and then I also have give the remaining pictures captions too...
And I've yet to add music too, something I also plan on doing.

Rome looks seriously different.
The thing about the Rome screenshot is that it has different advertising boards on that corner, and are similar to GT1.

The early demo looks somewhat similar, minus the advertisment differences:
Screenshot_20171123-183014.png

BTW, I also noticed the light effects on the lamps in the SSR5 screenshots, they look similar to GT1. By the demos they were dumbed down, which I'm not really happy about either (IMO GT1's light effects looked way better)

Since this seems to be the closest thing to a 'show what you've tweaked' thread, I've been having a tinker with GT2 myself:
polo-garage.png

polo-track.png

polo-records.png

The next goal is to have it awarded as a prize car somewhere - probably the Compact Car Cup - so that it's legitimately attainable. I've polished up the CLK Race Car similarly, but I'm not sure if any of the other cut content is finished enough to be usable.

I'm also hunting down bugs to fix - I've already filled in most of the missing stats (e.g. displacement for the Neon), and I'll need to fix the engines for the two Mustang GTs and the Golf V6, plus fixing the drivetrains for the Golf V6 and Skyline 280MR. I have an idea for fixing the endurance race opponents too, but need to try it before I can say it's actually the fix. If anyone knows of other unpatched issues, let me know.

As far as improvements go, I'll probably also be copying most of the text from the US release over to this PAL copy - I forgot just how bad the UK localisation is in comparison - and will un-localise the car names as I go. The JP version has much better formatting on the car names too, which I plan to copy but it'll be a lot of manual work or need improvements to my current hacky tools. Might also add a couple of custom palettes that have been posted like the blue and white Vipers as I have a rough idea of how I may be able to make them fully functional.

I have to give credit to Airesoft / adeyblue too - his tools are great and he was kind enough to make them open-source too. I've not directly used any of his code, but it's helped to fill in some blanks on how things work and saved me a lot of time so far.

I've been playing the JPN version of GT2 again and I noticed a few things just now.

- The Muscle Car Cup has A,IC,&IB licenses required for the 3 races. It doesn't trick you and say that you actually need IA license like in NTSC Version 1.0.
- All of the JDM NSXs for some reason were modelled with Acura badges. I'm driving a 1992 Type R NSX and I see an Acura badge on the front. Which makes no fricken sense, the US never got the Type R NSX.

I've been playing the JPN version of GT2 again and I noticed a few things just now.

- The Muscle Car Cup has A,IC,&IB licenses required for the 3 races. It doesn't trick you and say that you actually need IA license like in NTSC Version 1.0.
- All of the JDM NSXs for some reason were modelled with Acura badges. I'm driving a 1992 Type R NSX and I see an Acura badge on the front. Which makes no fricken sense, the US never got the Type R NSX.

Considering the '95 Honda Integra Type R RM says Acura in front windshield and the US version of the Griffith is used, we can safely say that GT2 was built from the US version of GT1 as template.

Finished off playing around with the Polo - it turns out that the original opponent list for the Compact Car Cup included the Polo as an opponent in all three races, but it was removed whenever the car was 'deleted'. I've restored it, and I haven't even had to worry about making it competitive as PD had already tuned it for the race:
polo-opponent.png

polo-results.png

When you win the Autumn Ring race, instead of being gifted a frankly useless Lupo, you now get its rarer big brother as a prize:
polo-prize.png

polo-prize2.png

I'll also sneak in the Mugen S2000 as a prize for the Historic race at Tahiti in place of the duplicate Mugen CRX, and have added the CLK Race Car as a prize to the Trial Mountain endurance as it was the only one with a single prize instead of two. I need to remember to add the Mugen S2000 to the list of cars eligible for the S2000 one-make race too of course!

Last edited:
Tested the known opponent bugs and it looks like the offset endurance opponents are definitely fixed in the PAL release - the Vector M12 and Taisan Viper show up in the correct races only.

I've also fixed the road car opponents in the Rome 2 Hours, World Cup and All Stars:

xj220-opponent.png

elisegt1-opponent.png

The XJ220 is in white in the 2 Hours for a bit of variety, as it's yellow in the World Cup and All Stars already.

edit: doh, sorry, double post. Is it worth me editing updates into my last post in future?

edit again: I've also fixed the Peugeot 306 in the Tuned NA Cup - this is actually the opponent from the Pikes Peak Downhill rally. I presume that there was a Mugen S2000 opponent in the NA Cup that was deleted, meaning the later opponents in the global list moved up one number but someone forgot to remove that opponent number from the NA event.

Last edited:
A little update on what i've been doing these past few weeks.

Made lists of car sounds for GT1 and GT2.
Recorded hidden and unused sounds on GT1 and GT1 Trial Demo.

Then I got into GT2 again, and found stock and upgraded parts settings, which i've started to make a database with the help of Xenn. This means that soon™, we shall be able to actually mod any car's stats using hex editing and my database.
Sneek Peek:
sneek1.jpg

sneek2.jpg

sneek3.jpg

So yeah. Progress :P

Also, Xenn and I have gotten hold of GT6 engine sounds, and are currently trying to make a list of them by (my) ears, and have successfully ported one into GT2. Sounds pretty awesome doesn't it?

Also Merry Late Christmas everyone!

One more minor fix, the colour thumbnail for the GT-One road car:

gtone-colour.png

Not sure if there are others that are broken (excluding race cars) - anyone got a list?

Would you provide the files for those edits in the future?

That's the plan eventually, yeah. At the very least I want to do an 'unofficial patch' to fix any outstanding bugs, but I'll probably include restoration of the Polo and CLK Race Car too. Ultimately I'd like to carry out even more of an overhaul, including cherry picking the best car logos across the regions, using the original Japanese market names for the cars (e.g. Mazda Familia instead of '323 (J)'), and restoring some pre-release palettes like the black and red Xsara RM choice. I will however need to get permission for some fixes that others have made, such as the S4 RM nighttime textures, and figure out how best to distribute it. A patch to apply to the CD image would be most convenient but it depends on how much the VOL file changes when rebuilt.

Then I got into GT2 again, and found stock and upgraded parts settings, which i've started to make a database with the help of Xenn. This means that soon™, we shall be able to actually mod any car's stats using hex editing and my database.

Nice, I'm currently just working with a ton of notes and the structs from the GT2DataExploder source - that looks a lot more convenient as a reference.

Don't wait on my database too much though. I made a quick calculation. I takes me about 15-20 mins to make one car's database, times 620 cars, it would take me about 8 to 9 days of work, 24 hours a day, which is never going to happen. So at best I hope i'll be done by the end of January or something.

Also, my database is a Cheat Engine table, so that means it's only usable if you run the game (in this case PAL) on ExxxE version 1.6.0 (unfortunately can't help that as those are my preferred versions). However, I'm pretty sure the parts data should be the same for every region. Unless cars have had their stats changed between versions, which I highly doubt for 99% of them, if not 100%)

Also, as a note of sorts, if you want to mess around with the values, you need to get used to using the power unit PS, torque unit KGM, and the rest of the metric system, as that is what the game uses.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, @pez2k think you can fix the pre-race settings menu where it displays the power value in PS instead of HP (the number is PS, but it says HP)? That's the reason why the (false) rumor about being able to surpass the power limitations in races comes from.

Last edited:
And so after the GT1 hidden sounds videos, here's GT2's. Those are the sounds that went unused and therefore are hidden, probably due to their corresponding cars being removed... or because they were updated. Anyhow quite a long video, because I couldn't leave things unfinished and not record every one of their exhausts upgrades.

These are in the description, but...
Time codes:
00009: 00:00
00021: 03:30
00024: 07:10
00025: 10:41
00026: 13:56
00027: 17:27
00032: 20:57
00053: 24:46
00062: 26:43
00074: 30:16
20702: 33:50
21903: 37:28
22806: 39:20
22808: 41:05
22809: 42:34
22901: 44:02
22903: 45:32

Also, Happy New Year everyone! May 2018 be the year we make major breakthroughs in our favourite old racers :D

So, nothing to do with aything really, but here's a definite GT2 demo car sounds list after analyzing them a little more than I had done a while back.

cbt | Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
css | Chevrolet Corvette Coupe / Camaro Z28
gtr | Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
int | Honda Integra Type R '95
lan | Mitsubishi Lancer
nsx | Honda NSX
ss2 | Toyota Celica SS-II
svk | Nissan Silvia K's
svq | Nissan Silvia Q's
szr | Toyota Supra SZ-R
vrs | Dodge Viper
wrx | Subaru Impreza

Hey everyone, how is it going? A new modder with some projects I want to learn about......(the stupid garage color squares for starters) anywho.... I got a huge update since my last post....

Including I fixed the Renault Laguna RM texture error (from scratch!)

renault_laguna_rm_FINAL.PNG

and also many mods to be featured soon.

Sorry I haven't been very active, been very busy. Hope to make a small return shortly!

Enjoy the teaser and have a good one!
Thank You,
B_Rad88

Out of curiosity, is it possible to modify what cars can show up as AI cars in any given race? Cause GT2 has a fair number of non hidden cars that simply don't show up as AI cars. The Polo is hidden but on rare occasions shows up as an AI car anyway.

I recently lost my WIP folder which had my extracted VOL which I was working on. It was backed up but at a much earlier stage then what my current version of my custom GT2 is at. When I try to extract the current version that I have running, I get this error message from VOL tools:
upload_2018-1-9_10-0-26.png

Only happens when I try to extract the VOL from a customized VOL. Untouched VOL is fine. Any ideas or work arounds?

Hello guys. I am new in this thing, i am from Argentina. But, i read some about hidden stuff in the Gran Turismo saga, And i have a question, or several:

1st: why we can found cars with his respective names but the placeholder is a Toyota Altezza? It will have been due to lack of time? (for example: Rainx Diablo, Pagani Zonda, JLOC Diablo, Rex Super Charger VX, Jaguar XK180, etc, etc). And the last example: the Merdeces benz C-class DTM in the intro of GT2 is a yellow Altezza. But in the game, the placeholder is a Nissan Primera BTCC 98' with orange wheels.

2nd: It's possible to model and add these cars to the game? Because I've seen a picture long ago of the Mercedes Benz CLK GTR. And it was ready, but they had not added it because EA had that car for their NFS saga.

3rd: Someone can upload the GT2VolTools? I can't download it.

Thanks and Regards :) :)

@B_rad88!
Actually, I already found those out. :P

Hello guys. I am new in this thing, i am from Argentina. But, i read some about hidden stuff in the Gran Turismo saga, And i have a question, or several:

1st: why we can found cars with his respective names but the placeholder is a Toyota Altezza? It will have been due to lack of time? (for example: Rainx Diablo, Pagani Zonda, JLOC Diablo, Rex Super Charger VX, Jaguar XK180, etc, etc). And the last example: the Merdeces benz C-class DTM in the intro of GT2 is a yellow Altezza. But in the game, the placeholder is a Nissan Primera BTCC 98' with orange wheels.

2nd: It's possible to model and add these cars to the game? Because I've seen a picture long ago of the Mercedes Benz CLK GTR. And it was ready, but they had not added it because EA had that car for their NFS saga.

3rd: Someone can upload the GT2VolTools? I can't download it.

Thanks and Regards :) :)
Hello, I'll gladly answer the first 2 questions.

To answer your first question. In the demos, unfinished car models were simply the reason that certain cars often had a placeholder attached. For the cars you listed in that case, Polyphony probably never bothered finishing the car models due to licensing issues for the most part. I'm not sure what exact licensing issues, but can only say it was likely EA during the time having some timed exclusives on certain cars. Others, Polyphony just ran out of time to put certain cars into the final GT2.

2nd: It's possible through the GT2.Vol tool to port cars from the demos into the final game, but adding new models from outside sources is not possible yet. For the CLK GTR, it never made it into any of the demos; so it's not possible to port that into the final game unfortunately.

Last edited:
@B_rad88!
Actually, I already found those out. :P

Hello, I'll gladly answer the first 2 questions.

To answer your first question. In the demos, unfinished car models were simply the reason that certain cars often had a placeholder attached. For the cars you listed in that case, Polyphony probably never bothered finishing the car models due to licensing issues for the most part. I'm not sure what exact licensing issues, but can only say it was likely EA during the time having some timed exclusives on certain cars. Others, Polyphony just ran out of time to put certain cars into the final GT2.

2nd: It's possible through the GT2.Vol tool to port cars from the demos into the final game, but adding new models from outside sources is not possible yet. For the CLK GTR, it never made it into any of the demos; so it's not possible to port that into the final game unfortunately.

Oh, ok. thanks for reply my questions. You can upload GT2VolTools to Mediafire or Mega? because the page of the file doesn't work. I want see the cars models with my eyes :) :bowdown:

Back