Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
I found this old magazine lying around archive.org's site. It can be downloaded in PDF.
https://archive.org/details/100_Playstation_Trucos_y_Tacticas_01

While reading, I found something. Not the CLK-GTR but something.
View attachment 616650
Why is the Mini MK.1 Rally Car painted in white? Did it appear before?
View attachment 616651
Oh and the blue with white stripes color Viper is present.

BTW, did you guys already checked Playstation Demo Disk No.53 Vol.1? I saw a copy for sale in EBay. Just gonna leave a link if someone's interested in buying it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAYSTATION...IVE-DEMO-GRAN-TURISMO-2-PS1-PAL-/181829641974
I may go look into the demo files to find anything of dev sort, like. Debug things, which I hope are present.

I used to have that No.53 demo disk, not sure if I still have it now. I'll have a look around tomorrow.

The silver Mini was previously shown in an article from the OPSM, but the picture was much smaller. Unfortunately it's not in the demo builds we have, being first featured in the 2nd build (Music at the Speed of Sound Bonus Disc, PS Underground Jampack - Winter '99, etc.) as the good ol' red Mk.1. I tried to remake its palette scheme through hex editing, an effort that you can see here:

The blue Viper RT/10 picture is news to me. I've seen pictures of the blue GTS, but never the RT/10. It's funny, because they also used a shot from the final game with no blue with white stripes option in sight. :P

Regarding the demo disc, it should have the already known 3rd build, the latest if we ignore the rare Test Drive build.

Aw man, I was just about say something about the Mini. Guess I'm a little late to the party.:lol:

Anyways, it is weird how the beta Mini rally car isn't present on any demo, but there it is on the magazine article.
Also, another indication that the car renders in the article are from a demo build is the render for the Corvette Grand Sport '96, you can see it still has placeholder rims.
It is weird how they used a demo build for the car renders and all the in-game shots are from the final version. Another thing, a GT2 article in May 2000? Sure, this article might be European where GT2 came out in January of '00, but still, four months after it came out, and we're still telling people about how great the car list is? Don't you have another GT game to cover at this time, like, you know, GT2000?:P

The silver Mini was previously shown in an article from the OPSM, but the picture was much smaller. Unfortunately it's not in the demo builds we have, being first featured in the 2nd build (Music at the Speed of Sound Bonus Disc, PS Underground Jampack - Winter '99, etc.) as the good ol' red Mk.1. I tried to remake its palette scheme through hex editing, an effort that you can see here:

The blue Viper RT/10 picture is news to me. I've seen pictures of the blue GTS, but never the RT/10. It's funny, because they also used a shot from the final game with no blue with white stripes option in sight. :P

Regarding the demo disc, it should have the already known 3rd build, the latest if we ignore the rare Test Drive build.

About the palettes, or any of the mods for GT2. Is anyone going to make a executable to make editing those files easier?

However, it is sad that we can't add in the missing tracks like Tahiti Night and the CLK GTR Le Mans car since we would have to make the game think its stored somewhere. It would be cool if someone were to find the E3 1999 build of GT2, but the odds of finding one on EBay is a 0.0001% chance of since Kaz doesn't like people digging through GT games files.

It is a shame, I'm sure a GT2 E3 disc is out there, but you'd probably have a 1 in a million chance of coming across it. So exclusives to that demo, like the CLK GTR and Tahiti Night you mentioned, and also SSR11, will only be a thing of early screenshots and videos. Such a shame, since it would've been cool to drive all three in GT2. Although I hate SSR11 bitterly, I've never actually driven the old version on any game (I haven't got to the point of driving on it in GT1, and I obviously don't have any GT3 demos), and would like to see how hard the "death chicane" really is.

It is a shame, I'm sure a GT2 E3 disc is out there, but you'd probably have a 1 in a million chance of coming across it. So exclusives to that demo, like the CLK GTR and Tahiti Night you mentioned, and also SSR11, will only be a thing of early screenshots and videos. Such a shame, since it would've been cool to drive all three in GT2. Although I hate SSR11 bitterly, I've never actually driven the old version on any game (I haven't got to the point of driving on it in GT1, and I obviously don't have any GT3 demos), and would like to see how hard the "death chicane" really is.
From personal experience it's not as bad as people bring it up to be, when I was a little kid, yes. The time's have changed and the course is still fresh for me to do laps on in Gran Turismo 1, and if you do the corner right in a underpowered car you would own the A.I. in your sleep. However, the Gran Turismo 3 one is not as bad at all, it's like a Clubman version of the main one. I would give it a chance sometime, I bet you would actually like it for the challenge the track gives.

I do hope modding does progress for GT2 though, maybe we can add a track or two, but we would need to learn how the game operates a bit more often.

The "death chicane" isn't that hard for GT2 as far as physics go but in GT1, man its hard. You must act quickly when entering the "death chicane" especially if you're driving an FR/MR car or else you hit and it'll cause you a lot of time.

Regarding the E3 disc, did we try asking our resident GT collector? I mean we do have someone in GTP who is an avid GT collector.

Why did that article show an unfinished Corvette Grand Sport of all things?

Also, that was interesting to see that Tahiti Test Short's layout is the same layout as Smokey Mountain South. That track went through some amazing changes then, because I didn't recognize it as SM South at all. I just figured it was meant to be Tahiti Dirt Route 1 with Maze being TDR2.

Smokey Mountain South has had an interesting life in the GT series. On top of being Tahiti Test Short, it also was one of the dirt test tracks in the demo that wasn't located in Tahiti. Then, it was originally meant to appear in GT3, but underwent a layout change and was eventually renamed Swiss Alps. So it went from being located in Tahiti to being located in Switzerland. It's been places, hasn't it?

That GT2 E3 disc must be either hidden within PD's storage shed or it must be in Kazunori's hands but more likely in the storage shed. Unless someone who happens to work at PD before or currently working at PD, then the chances of finding the E3 disk at EBay or other online stores at a million.

Modding GT2 further is definitely not out of the question.

We'd need to figure out how everything is handled, including file offsets in the game, etc. If we're to add and expand, we'd have to figure these things out first.

A dedicated editor is also a possibility, but that would require a lot of information of the game.

Yes, the chicane can be done almost flatout if done right. But there is a big window to do mistakes
see:

and

I can sell PSM 53 demo disc too :)

If someone versed in object-oriented programming wants to pick up the challenge of writing a GT2 editor, I'd recommend checking thefanman's GT2 Data Exploder. Since the data can be pulled from the setting files, it shouldn't be a nightmare to make something that writes new files. Then just encapsulate it in a nice graphical user interface and voila.

It would also be nice to finally figure out how the .cdo/.cno and .tro files work. Also the gtmenu containers, for eventual GT mode menu mods.

If someone versed in object-oriented programming wants to pick up the challenge of writing a GT2 editor, I'd recommend checking thefanman's GT2 Data Exploder. Since the data can be pulled from the setting files, it shouldn't be a nightmare to make something that writes new files. Then just encapsulate it in a nice graphical user interface and voila.

It would also be nice to finally figure out how the .cdo/.cno and .tro files work. Also the gtmenu containers, for eventual GT mode menu mods.

And then with a PS3 Memory Card data, you could put the new files onto a USB stick, copy it to a PS1 memory card (if possible) and voila!

The "death chicane" isn't that hard for GT2 as far as physics go but in GT1, man its hard. You must act quickly when entering the "death chicane" especially if you're driving an FR/MR car or else you hit and it'll cause you a lot of time.

Regarding the E3 disc, did we try asking our resident GT collector? I mean we do have someone in GTP who is an avid GT collector.

SSR11 is not in GT2, only GT1 and the neutered GT3 version.

I remember in good handling cars it's just a matter of line and lifting off the throttle. It is like threading a needle, but it feels oh so good when you get it right. In the 930 HP GTO you usually have to do some braking though :lol:

:lol:

I do remember setting lap time records in SSR11 with the NSX GT2/NSX GT1 Turbo and I always perfect the "chicane of death". Oh how I wished that NSX GT2 would be in GT2.

Also in GT3, even though the "death chicane" is gone, it was replaced with a beautiful scenery though plus with the AIs being that good. I can remember beating the GT-One and R390 GT1 with a underpowered Viper GTS-R.

Since it's now 2017, here are my predictions as to what will happen in GT2 research:

-More screenshots and videos will be found of the E3 build, showing SSR11 and CLK GTRs in all their glory.
-Remember when the modding project was going on, where you had the ability to port stuff into the final game, including beta cars and tracks? Well, in 2017, I'm kinda predicting the reverse effect. That's right, porting the retail versions of the cars and tracks into demo versions of the game. Since doing the opposite seems to have worked out relatively well.

Since it's now 2017, here are my predictions as to what will happen in GT2 research:

-More screenshots and videos will be found of the E3 build, showing SSR11 and CLK GTRs in all their glory.
-Remember when the modding project was going on, where you had the ability to port stuff into the final game, including beta cars and tracks? Well, in 2017, I'm kinda predicting the reverse effect. That's right, porting the retail versions of the cars and tracks into demo versions of the game. Since doing the opposite seems to have worked out relatively well.
To add to your predictions...

• Will probably have a custom .EXE file for GT2 moding usage
  • Hopefully find some beta menus or test menus, like in NFS. For example. ScreenPrintIf.

Porting final material to demos shouldn't be a problem, but I honestly fail to see the point of doing that. The demo builds are so unfinished physics-wise that it's not even fun to spend lots of time playing them...

Speaking of hidden menus, what about peeking in the demos' arcade menu graphics? I don't think those have been ripped yet. Maybe we could find map and logo graphics for tracks other than Rome, or graphics for unavailable menus (such as Goodies) that you can't enable through ordinary memory editing.

I've had a crack at porting final cars into the demos in the past just to see what would happen, but I kinda failed at it. Of course, I haven't tried again since; mainly because it just seemed pointless.

You could refer that "someone" as adeyblue :)

He has experimented a lot with GT2. There are more things in his channel.
Best known here as thefanman, the man who not only gave us the only GT2 VOL unpacking tool capable of re-packing but is also responsible for many of the latest discoveries in GT2 and GT3. 👍

Somebody has got a control over the garage bug in an awesome way

Seeing this reminds me a lot of the arbitrary code executions on games such as Super Mario World. I wonder if there's any practical usage with this type of glitch, besides pseudo-infinite money.

Seeing this reminds me a lot of the arbitrary code executions for Super Mario World. I wonder if there's any practical usage for this type of glitch execution, besides pseudo-infinite money.
It basically over-writes the garage functions to where they seem deleted, like the No Name, No Name. Then once you select the No Name car it basically presets the amount of money you have. It is a classic case of corruption in GT2, but I wonder what version he used for the U.S. releases. I somehow did the same thing when I altered the credits with Cheat Engine in a bad slot.

It basically over-writes the garage functions to where they seem deleted, like the No Name, No Name. Then once you select the No Name car it basically presets the amount of money you have. It is a classic case of corruption in GT2, but I wonder what version he used for the U.S. releases. I somehow did the same thing when I altered the credits with Cheat Engine in a bad slot.

There's a video tutorial that adeyblue made, using the Japanese 1.0 copy:

The garage data is replaced with the replay data, as far as I can grasp the concept. Also, I believe only version 1.0 of both the US and Japanese releases have this glitch. Versions 1.1 and 1.2 remedied this.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back