Sense of speed in gt6

SimonK
If there is one thing GT NEVER needs it's extreme motion blur. Absolutely not.

I get that.. Thats unrealistic, just the fact the we have more of a feel for speed.. I do understand this is a simulator and this is a touchy subject, i just thought tweaking it slightly could be good

Gabtremblay
Ised to play NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT before i had GT5 and you could really feel yourself going fast.. It was almost scary, blurry around and you could see ony far ahead.. GT5 doesnt give me that feeling, it feels slow, even if you're going fast, no rush and sense of speed which i feel is boring.. Especially when cornering and colliding.. Anyways

I do enjoy how you can see & "feel" the weight of the car move around in NFS Shift (also played it before I had GT5), however I am not too much of a fan of the motion blur, and how your vision turns black and white when you have a crash.

Edit-by no means do I think GT5's sense of speed is bad, I just prefer how NFS modeled the weight transfer.

I do enjoy how you can see & "feel" the weight of the car move around in NFS Shift (also played it before I had GT5), however I am not too much of a fan of the motion blur, and how your vision turns black and white when you have a crash.

Edit-by no means do I think GT5's sense of speed is bad, I just prefer how NFS modeled the weight transfer.

Definitely yes on weight, and a big NO to all the stupid vision crash effects and the blur of the inside of the cockpit at speed was also silly. I also like how the car bounced a bit in relation to the camera (as opposed to feeling like the camera was mounted to the car).

In no way do I want GT6 to copy anyone else, but some inspiration to figure out something that will increase the sense of speed and immersion would be nice (maybe all they need is better engine audio to give us that "buzz"). No blur but maybe at least some subtle but authentic vibrations?

I believe there are two main ways to improve the sense of speed:

The sound: The sound from the wind, the tyres, and the chassis should be simulated much better. You should be able to hear more rumble, and a howling wind sound (of course, this should be adjustable to suit individual needs).

Field of view: On a single monitor setup, the field of view can directly affect the sense of speed:
Narrower angle:

Wide angle:

Once again, these options MUST be adjustable (though knowing PD, they will probably set it at an arbitary value which they prefer :banghead:)

The only improvement i want, in 3d person view, make it so the distance from the car increases depending on how fast the car is going, and get closer as the car loses speed, set up a range, lets say, camera pulls back 2 meters at really high speeds then camera pushes in 1 meter closer to the car, if the camera gets closer than when the car is at full stop, when the car actually reaches o km/h just gently go back to the original position, an example of this system is in NFS Most Wanted, i know NFS is exagerated but its a good idea,

I don't know if I made myself clear, sorry but english isn't my main language, here's an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LWjAj54_8

forget all the blur and wobbling around, just extract the part where the car gets farther from the camera and closer to it depending on the speed.

Last edited:
I'll get slated for this but I like what Forza did to show speed, the camera pulls out slightly and a slight vignette comes in, it doesn't sound good but it does give a nice effect to those without a 3 screen setup (like me and the other 99% of players).

Yea well im fuessing its nt about blurry vision and all, but about how the car reacts to speed, all i see a a box going around a track.. Not exciting

Gabtremblay
Yea well im fuessing its nt about blurry vision and all, but about how the car reacts to speed, all i see a a box going around a track.. Not exciting

I agree with you in a sense. I would like to see more weight transfer effects. If I slam the brakes, I want my camera to move forward a bit (like when your head is pulled forward under hard braking in cars IRL). Same if I punch the gas, the camera should move back (NFS Shift did a good job of this)

I agree with you in a sense. I would like to see more weight transfer effects. If I slam the brakes, I want my camera to move forward a bit (like when your head is pulled forward under hard braking in cars IRL). Same if I punch the gas, the camera should move back (NFS Shift did a good job of this)

I agree 100% with this.

Aside head movement induded by G, there's too little suspension movement in GT5 in general, even on old cars with very soft suspensions and no anti-roll bars.

I don't care about this "sense of speed" thing.
To be honest I would like to see GT6 trying to have a 1:1 field of view. I don't want to see the cars and environment look stretched just to give a visual sense of speed.

All of the arcade games use this effect. I think it would make GT6 look like garbage.

On the other hand, cockpit view's camera shake should be included and improved from what it was when GT5 came out. This gives life to the game.

Once again, these options MUST be adjustable (though knowing PD, they will probably set it at an arbitary value which they prefer :banghead:)[/COLOR]

They are adjustable - I just found this out myself and am very pleased 👍

Options > Multi Monitor (yes this also applies if you only use one tv like I do)

Multi-Monitor Enabled Mode: Server
Monitor Layout: 1x1
Adjust Angle of View: 90% (this is what I use, default is 100%)

This brings the camera a bit forward and seems more like the depth perception of real life without sacrificing too much peripheral vision. Speed sensation is increased because camera feels closer, and on some cars lower too.

Ised to play NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT before i had GT5 and you could really feel yourself going fast.. It was almost scary, blurry around and you could see ony far ahead.. GT5 doesnt give me that feeling, it feels slow, even if you're going fast, no rush and sense of speed which i feel is boring.. Especially when cornering and colliding.. Anyways

Your vision does not get blurred in NFS as it does in real life. If the same thing happened in real life, I'm pretty sure nobody would want to be a race driver, pilot, train driver or any other job that requires you to travel faster than 90 mph.

GT5 tries to represent real life sense of speed, but to keep it exciting as a game, I think it could have been exaggerated a little bit. NFS exaggerates it too much, and if it was real life, you would have 200 mph family hatchbacks that you could buy second hand for 4,000

On the race track, no. See on the street you have objects around you flying by at different speeds, poles, trees, signs, etc. On a race track you might have 50-100m of empty space on either side. Going 80mph (150kph) on a big track can feel slow in real life.

^this

Going 90mph on a motorway doesn't feel that fast, on the other hand do 60 on a single car width b road with hedgerows either side of the road and it feels like you're going much faster.

Optional motion blur?

Please don't shoot me :scared:

The only thing I would want is probably camera shake that would be created by your car travelling ouver bumpy surfaces, which again would have to be optional.

Motion blur does not belong in a simulator.

Gabtremblay

f gt had consequences for collisions it would add a sense of speed. For all of the aspec races, whether I collide with anything at 10mph or 200mph you get the same dumb "kick a washing machine" sound effect. Compare that to codemasters Grid for example. Every knock and bump feels real and has consequence and this would help achieving a feeling of moving fast in a metal box with wheels.

Yea, i totally agree with this, in fact the overall collision mechanics suck in this game, whether you collide with a brick wall or another car always same sound... Plus the opponents dont move if you ram them

Collisions are abismal... Opponent vehicles rarely ever spin out was result of a heavy rear collision at the times you expect they would. The driving physics feel good. I can't comment on the realisticness since I have never driven a sports car at speed. But it feels fun....ish. However, as soon as a vehicle becomes airborne the physics fall apart. Cars land from huge jumps like mary poppins gliding back down to the track surface. Huge yank tank muscle cars should slam their suspension into the ground from huge airtime like on cape ring track for example.....

What i'm thinking that really needs to be done here to improve the overall sense of speed is sounds, gears & clutch, collisions as well as the suspension, you get practically no movement whatso ever when turning or landing jumps like the previous post mentionned..
These improvements would be greatly appreciated not just for a sense of speed but also for the game to be better overall, especially transmission wise.

i agree wholeheartedly with one part, i dont like how the cars feel exactly the same almost from 60 mph to 260+mph, i feel some aspect could be tweaked but its one of those things you cant exactly put your finger on the exact problem

I maybe know how to do fix that. In other games i played and sensed better sense of speed was controlling the car in high speeds very tough and the risk of the spinout from corner and so, that made the sense of speed to me. No motion blur needed.

GT is always very calm in terms of driving a car in high speed.

karelpipa
I maybe know how to do fix that. In other games i played and sensed better sense of speed was controlling the car in high speeds very tough and the risk of the spinout from corner and so, that made the sense of speed to me. No motion blur needed.

GT is always very calm in terms of driving a car in high speed.

Yea, GT5 even if you're going very fast controlling the car is almost the same as going very slow.

60mph feels way to slow however

This. When going 50km/h on a tall custom map or Côte d'Azur in GT5 it feels like going 20km/h in real life. Can't say about 150+ km/h like people do when racing since I never drove those speeds on public roads except the Autobahn, what I can say for sure though is that even with cars around you on Route X 350km/h feels barely like you're traveling a totally awesome speed. This may be down to lack of gravity in a video game but there are graphical effects (that NFS Shift uses for example) which may not be realistic but give you a feeling that is closer to reality.
I think GT5 tries too hard to be objective in order to look 'realistic', GT6 should concentrate more on your subjective feelings while driving than pretending to use effects that do not exist in reality.
After all, lens flare is something that makes GT5 looking more realistic while it is only a way to replicate what you see in reality and not something that actually exists.

Why are you going 60 in a game?

Because the ultimate driving simulation is not only about racing. It's also about normal city driving, especially on the city courses that follow actual streets (Monaco being a very good example in GT5). It's fun, especially with lots of friends doing the same and making the road two way.

KiroKai
This. When going 50km/h on a tall custom map or Côte d'Azur in GT5 it feels like going 20km/h in real life. Can't say about 150+ km/h like people do when racing since I never drove those speeds on public roads except the Autobahn, what I can say for sure though is that even with cars around you on Route X 350km/h feels barely like you're traveling a totally awesome speed. This may be down to lack of gravity in a video game but there are graphical effects (that NFS Shift uses for example) which may not be realistic but give you a feeling that is closer to reality.
I think GT5 tries too hard to be objective in order to look 'realistic', GT6 should concentrate more on your subjective feelings while driving than pretending to use effects that do not exist in reality.
After all, lens flare is something that makes GT5 looking more realistic while it is only a way to replicate what you see in reality and not something that actually exists.

Because the ultimate driving simulation is not only about racing. It's also about normal city driving, especially on the city courses that follow actual streets (Monaco being a very good example in GT5). It's fun, especially with lots of friends doing the same and making the road two way.

I like the idea.. A video game cant be realistic if it thinks about what is in real life.. Come to think of it, when you drive a car you can feel the wheels and where they're headed.. You cant feel your car in a game.. Maybe it would be a smart move to stop trying to make it like real life.. And more of like a realistic game..
Its a touchy subject i know and this is why its gonna be hard to understand what i just said lol

I really like the direction this thread headed in, and I agree with most of you.

*More camera shake for driving offroad or over bumpy roads would be great.
*A slight pull-back of the camera when gaining speed and a slight zooming-in of the camera when braking heavily would be great as well.
*And more little rattles within race cars when driving extremely fast would be perfect.

I believe all of this would be great if used in moderation and not to the extreme extent that Shift uses it.

I'll get slated for this but I like what Forza did to show speed, the camera pulls out slightly and a slight vignette comes in, it doesn't sound good but it does give a nice effect to those without a 3 screen setup (like me and the other 99% of players).

Yeah, and for some reason if you are going about 240mph it'll start to drown out all of the noise except for the road noise. Makes for a very surreal feeling as you blast down the Le Mans straight pushing 270.

In real life your eyes are concentrating on a singular point, so everything going by does look a bit blurry, but if you look to the side then everything is going VERY quickly, even at 100mph you will get this effect.

If they increased the sense of speed, then your eyes would be focused on one point and that point would be clear, everything else would be blurry like in real life.

Latest Posts

Back