Serge.D's photos.

• Thread starter Serge.D
  • 82 comments
Serge!!!!!

Level!!!!!
:crazy:

Surely you can see how far you've tilted your camera. You've got to get control of that.

It looks like you used Photo Impression to bring up the exposure just a bit. Makes the car look better, mostly, but a little too much in the grill, and washes out the yellow at the pumps. I don't know if it can do stuff with parts of the image or not.

I used Photoshop to do a couple things. First levelled it. Repeat, level! :)

Second, cropped it. I'd like to have gotten the drain out, but that was too close to the car, put the car too close (for me, anyway) to the edge of the frame.

Third, I selected just the car, brought up the brightness and contrast a little bit, then used the burn tool to put the grill and front tag back a little darker. Now the car stands out just a little bit without washing out the rest of the picture.

Of course, Photoshop is expensive, but a free program that's just as capable exists, although there'd be a good learning curve: check out GIMP.

serge-maseratigtxa3-b.jpg

I don't like the post in the center at the top, but I can see that this was something you saw and snapped, no time to compose. I like the crop better than the full frame you had, though. Less busy, and the car is more obviously the important part, but there's enough other stuff to have a setting.

I know we don't normally rework posted pictures, but I don't know how else to illustrate some of these points. If I was really trying to make something, I'd paint out the drain, as well as the shadow at the bottom left, and maybe the yellow pole at the top. Best thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to use the full frame that you shot. Crop it if you need to.

To illustrate the rule-of-thirds mentioned earlier, have a look at the Mastercard ballon picture. Imagine a 3x3 grid drawn on the picture making it nine equal segments. The balloon is then almost entirely in the center segment. The upper left segment is mostly empty sky. The tree under it fills two segments. There's a tree in the segment under the balloon, and the segment over the balloon has branches, but is mostly empty. All three right-side segments a heavily shaded with tree branches, almost solidly. Everything fitting into that grid is one of the things that makes the picture interesting and agreeable. In my cropped version of your Maserati, the car is now two-thirds of the frame, and the setting (gas pump) is one-third. In your pic, the car is only half the frame.

Last edited:
I just found something on my digcam where you can change the
white ballance to automatic,daylight,cloudy or electric bulb.
The setting on my digicam was automatic.

That's probably OK most of the time. If you set it, be sure to check it every time you turn the camera on, or you'll mess up some shots by forgetting, and then getting the wrong white balance. It's more difficult to correct if your camera saves as JPG images. RAW files can be changed pretty easily.

Did you find an ISO setting on your camera?

Or a metering pattern? By that, there may be a setting for how much of the image, and what areas, are used for light metering to calculate exposure. Most cameras these days use either the center of the picture, or the center and areas between the center and each corner. Sometimes a different metering pattern will give you results closer to what you see with your eye. To see how it works, you need to shoot the same subject with different settings, which means planning, not just finding and snapping. Keep notes as you shoot, too, don't rely on memory. That fails every time!

The effect of ISO setting should be to increase the effective sensitivity of the sensor in darker lighting. In full daylight you could use 64 or 100, and for evening or indoor use 400. You might find that a higher number makes for a noisier picture. Have a look at this shot I made last fall with my Sony point-and-shoot digital, and notice how the sky is unevenly colored, a mixture of light pixels in the dark. That's noise.

sunsetsmoe7.jpg

Another effect of forcing an ISO setting would be to change the camera's selection for shutter speed and f-stop. Using a lower ISO forces the camera to compensate by using a longer shutter or larger aperture (or both,) which could allow camera shake or change your depth of field. The only way to determine if these are favorable is to practice, take some shots as nearly identical to each other with different settings.

I apologize for taking this away from your gallery into a technical lesson, but that seems to be what you're asking for. I hope I'm not stepping on toes or anything.

I tried to make some car pics today,I hope that they are a little better
than the previous ones that I posted.

Last edited:
it feels like the is just a little too much clutter in the shots. I take it that these cars are just parked on the street? You should try and get angles where the other cars are not visible or close in on the cars and maybe look for intersting close up bits and peices of the cars.

it feels like the is just a little too much clutter in the shots. I take it that these cars are just parked on the street? You should try and get angles where the other cars are not visible or close in on the cars and maybe look for intersting close up bits and peices of the cars.

Like this.

New pics are suffering from the same issues as detailed in my previous post, plus terrible camera shake in shot #2, #7 and #8. Counting the repetition of shot 3 as two shots. Also, watch your horizontals and verticals. Shot #1 is off by about 5 degrees. I would recommend you crop it so that the parking line goes into the corner of the frame: this will give the eye a 'lead in' line to the shot.

Like that?

Try shooting something other than parked cars. You're trying to force something that isn't there. Shoot automotive when you have the chance to be in control of where and when you shoot them. In the mean time, shoot something else like nature scenes, landscapes, or city shots.

Some nice locations you've been to there! I really like the waterfall shot and the last one of the truck too. Did you get any closer to the truck at all? You could have got some really stunning shots from the front/side of the truck picking up the details with a short depth of field to blur out the uninteresting background.

Although that doorway looks interesting too.

Thanks for the comments on my pics Moglet. :)👍
I will try to make pics of that truck on a other day,that's the only one I have.
I have an other one of the waterfall,and some pics of a big bird.

That's a nice photo; good composition, subject is crisp, background is a distraction, so it's slightly blurred. Lots of warm and cool colors, but not too much color for the subject, and the fence and eye bring a little "tension" to the picture. No items "in the way of the subject".

The biggest improvement is that everything is not centered, and the sharpness and colors aren't smeared by the camera. In rare instances, the effect is desirable, but certainly not all the time.

And...This photo tells a story.

As Pupik said, that is a very good photo. What I'd try and do now is look at what you should be posting and what should stay as scraps. When you said you had a photo of a big bird it would have looked very impressive if you'd just posted that one shot.

As it is, you posted a series of them which makes that one look like it occured by accident. See what I mean?

Thanks again for all the comments guys. :)👍
...of how Serge was pecked to death by a big bird ;)

No seriously, your photos are improving greatly 👍
Not me,but my digicam was almost pecked to death by that big bird. :lol:
As Pupik said, that is a very good photo. What I'd try and do now is look at what you should be posting and what should stay as scraps. When you said you had a photo of a big bird it would have looked very impressive if you'd just posted that one shot.

As it is, you posted a series of them which makes that one look like it occured by accident. See what I mean?
While I was waiting to make a close up pic of the bird,I made some other pics. :)

Some deer pics that I made,hope you like them.

I like this one. It has nice use of tones. I would be inclined to clone stamp out the moon though as it's not in a good position.

Also don't fall into a pattern of always taking photos of the same thing. Especially as you received compliments from your first photo. I did that exact same thing when I first started out and I eventually realised that I was just doing the safe thing of taking photos of the same things either everybody wanted me to take or what generated some response (usually pleasing) from the viewers. Go out and experiment. Take photos of people passing on the street or macro shots... dare to try new things.... this is the only advice I really have.

Back