Servers

Even though my Nat type is type 3, I don't seem to have many issues as in terms of getting disconnected.

I've had connection issues since day one, i wasnt sure if it was my internet but i run wired but asumed it was my internet provider but not long ago was in a lobby with a few others who where complaining, silly Dedicated servers i say.

Here are a few helpful references to improve your online connection and online room experience;

1. Clear System Cache
When online events or other features are not updating correctly, clearing the system cache can resolve the problem.
Delete the temporary data downloaded from the network from your Hard Disk Drive. (System Cache)
Don't worry, this is perfectly safe to do... game update data, replay data etc. is not deleted.
Only takes a few seconds to execute.
Recommend everyone does this each time before going into online rooms.
Goto OPTIONS>Clear System Cache>Delete
i1uSZnXa2zvIK7c.jpg

2. Room Owner Settings
The Room Owner can help improve the online room experience through combinations of the following;

・Select a race quality setting that's lower than the automatic setting.

・Reduce the max. number of players in the room.

・Disable voice chat.

3. Wired vs Wireless
It is true what they say about the PS3;
A "Wired Connection" (ethernet) will always be better than a "Wireless Connection"
Wireless signals can be significantly affected by distance and interference from other electrical devices, walls, objects and surrounding structures.
Well worth spending just a few bucks on a reliable Ethernet cable if you can.

4. UPnP Setting
If you are connecting to the internet through a router, you can create an environment that's suited to online play by activating UPnP. (Universal Plug 'n Play)

When activating UPnP, please be sure to set up UPnP on your router as well as activating it on your PlayStation3 system.

For details on activating UPnP on your router, please refer to your router's instruction manual, or contact your router's manufacturer.

UPnP is set up automatically on the PS3 system.
To see your PS3 system's UPnP status, select "Settings", followed by "Network Settings" -> "Settings and Connection Status List", then select the UPnP option.
To adjust the UPnP setting manually, select "Network Settings" -> "Internet Connection Settings" -> "Custom", then select the UPnP option.

5. DNS SETTING
I have found that some ISP's do not have fully compatible DNS servers.
To fix this, it is safe to use Google's DNS address which quite often solves many issues.

To do this, select "Network Settings" from your PlayStation3, then select "Internet Connection Settings" , "Custom" , "DNS Settings" , "Manual", set "Primary DNS " to 8.8.8.8 then set "Secondary DNS " to 8.8.4.4
Save, exit and reboot the PS3 to activate.

Wise to copy down your settings before you change them, just in case something goes wrong.
You can always go back to your original settings.

6. MTU SETTING
The default MTU setting in PS3 is 1500.
This is quite often too high a value; and can potentially cause data glitches that manifest as disconnects, lagging and incompatibility in online rooms.
The correct MTU value for my PS3 is 1492, yours may be different.

To find out what is your MTU, you will need to use your PC online. the MTU value can then be applied to your PS3.

FINDING OPTIMUM MTU;
From your PC, open a prompt screen by clicking on Start>Programs>Command Prompt (cmd). You can also use the Run Command by clicking on Start>Search then type in cmd , Click on cmd program.

At the prompt, type in ping www.tp-link.com -f -l 1472 and hit Enter.
Notice in the example below that the packet needs to be fragmented;
200892595152212.jpg

Drop the test packet size down (10 or 12 bytes) and test again.
Notice in the example below that the packet still needs to be fragmented;
20089259529391.jpg

Drop the test packet size down more and test again until your reach a packet size that does not fragment.
Notice in the example below;
200892595230168.jpg

Once you have a test packet that is not fragmented increase your packet size in small increments and retest until you find the largest possible packet that doesn't fragment.

Take the maximum packet size from the ping test and add 28.

An example:
1440 Max packet size from Ping Test
+ 28
1468 = the optimum MTU Setting

APPLY TO YOUR PS3;

To do this, select "Network Settings" from your PlayStation3, then select "Internet Connection Settings" , "Custom" , "DNS Settings" , "Manual", set "MTU" to the new value.
Save, exit and reboot the PS3 to activate.

Once again, you may wish to copy down your settings before you change them, just in case something goes wrong.
You can always go back to your original settings.

The only way to sort these issues is to;
1: DON'T USE MOBILE BROADBAND
2: SET A STATIC IP ADDRESS FOR YOUR PS3
3: DO THE PORTFORWARDING WITH THE SAME STATIC IP,WITH THE PSN PORT NUMBERS AVAILABLE FROM THE PSN OFFICIAL WEBSITE
4: SET YOUR ROUTER DMZ FOR THE PS3 WITH YOUR PS3 STATIC IP ADDRESS.
Once you have done this, you will notice you can ALWAYS see everyone on track and hear them,even if they can't see each other,(can be very amusing watching 2 cars go around the track joined at the hip,although hard to pass as they BOTH will be solid to you while not too each other. If All lobby members have done this, there will be no issues other than the normal internet vageries caused by excessive load on your IP's network.
* * * Remember to turn off the Up&p when you do the static IP or the system will use that and nothing will change.
All the above processes have video/picture tutorials on how to do it,just Google it!

I have used:
1. UPnP with dynamic IP
2. static IP and DMZ (UPnP off)
3. Port forwarding with DMZ on
4. Port forwarding with DMZ off

I can't say I have noticed a difference. It is what it is, unreliable.

I had a little trouble getting beer to my table on time last night so I didn't give my server much of a tip. Oh wait...sorry....wrong server.:sly:

I have used:
1. UPnP with dynamic IP
2. static IP and DMZ (UPnP off)
3. Port forwarding with DMZ on
4. Port forwarding with DMZ off

I can't say I have noticed a difference. It is what it is, unreliable.
What modem/router do you have? Some have firmware/chipsets that are not condusive to gaming. If on ADSL/ADSL2+ internet,what profile do you run on? This can make a huge difference too.
The Technicolor/Alcatel/Thomson/Thomson Alcatel "Gateway" series routers are a very good example of a poor gaming router but excellent movie streaming router

Latest Posts

Back