Shell out $500 to play GT7?

• Thread starter Zerran
  • 179 comments
OP is American so I expect their "American" to be perfect but he doesnt seem to be fully explaining his reasoning... however I do sort of see where he is coming from (with a weird perspective)....

I seen the GT7 trailers... to me it looks like GT Sport. Which is fine... GT Sport's gfx quality is fine. I only ask for FHD/60.

So in the OP's mind, why are we paying for rehashed content that could probably do just as well on the ps4.

We have a ps4. So why dont they just release GT7 on both consoles and give GT Sport owners a price break? Well you know I love unicorns and fairy floss too.

The reality is Sony wants GT7 to push new console sales.

I think putting it on PS4 would make a fair few of us not want to spend $500 on a ps5. If you think its expensive for Americans, wait until you see how much the PS5 is in banana republics like Australia NZ... or Brazil.

I do get buying a console just for Gran Turismo. I did it. I bought an Xbox just for Forza.

However in buying a ps3/4 and xbox360/xbox one I also spent a few bucks on other games that I like.... eg. I bought Daytona USA for $5. I think I've got over 100 games on xbox one... I mean I did buy it just for Forza but if a game costs a few bucks then why not?

I have a pain breaking point... eg. there's no way in hell I'd ever buy a $599 USD PS3 back in 2006. The average weekly wage in this country isnt even $599.

However I think I bought a PS3 slim for the equivalent of $150 usd new in 2008/2009 when it as being replaced by the George Foreman grille PS3.

So at $150 usd then who cares? And even then GT5 still wasnt out at the time lol! This has precedence. I bought a PS4 in 2014 and how long did we wait for GT Sport???

Once the PS5 drops a bit in price I'll be ok with it but not in the first year. As much as I like Gran Turismo I dont like it to the tune of $560 usd.

Does anyone think it's a bit odd that you have to shell out $500 to play GT7? Not to mention, $60 for the game?

No its not odd, its a new gen game that is made for the new gen console. Get over it. This has happened 4 times already.

If you're buying it just for GT7 then you just need to deal with it. I bought an Xbox 360 back in the day and an Xbox One S a few years ago for Forza and i haven't regretted it for one moment.

Last edited:
I feel like people are underestimating just how complicated it is to do a release on multiple cross-generation platforms. PD works slow enough as is, I'd rather nothing would get in the way of their work.

PS4 and PS5 are x86... and they run the same family AMD cpu gpu. If these people cant get cross gen happening they really have issues.

You would have a point if it was ps3.

PS4 and PS5 are x86... and they run the same family AMD cpu gpu. If these people cant get cross gen happening they really have issues.
I was referring more to the increased logistical demands, as well as limitations that would be presented from having to shove everything on 7 year old hardware. Not the architecture of the consoles themselves.

Simply put, the more that they can simplify their work, the quicker that they can get 🤬 done.

But the architecture simplifies "logistical demands".

That's why the whole "ps4 ps4pro ps5" thing is all x86. That's why the same can be said about xbox one, xbox one x, xbox series x.

Its like saying how come a company like Rockstar has huge issues working say GTA5 on a ps4 classic or a 2014 Intel 3770 pc or an xbox series x or a current Ryzen 7... they dont have 'issues' becuase they have money to make.

Microsoft dont have issues getting the stuff cross platform, nor should Sony... in fact we will see crossplatform ps4 games with uprated gfx on ps5.

Its a sales marketing issue not really a technical issue. But yes, its also a company timing issue which PD always have.

I don’t like the all white look ...Seriously how do people with all white things keep them clean??!!

when they release it in cosmo black or space gray I’ll buy the console, could use a new streaming device

Microsoft dont have issues getting the stuff cross platform

Microsoft were also massively slated online because of how poor Halo Infinite looks because it’s a crossgen game (as well as Phil Spencer insisting that crossgen games don’t hold game development back as a whole)

Microsoft were also massively slated online because of how poor Halo Infinite looks because it’s a crossgen game (as well as Phil Spencer insisting that crossgen games don’t hold game development back as a whole)
Crossgen games are stupid, because they'll always be compromised on the newer console.

You would have a point if it was ps3.
First of all, it doesn't make any sense from a marketing perspective because Sony wants to actually sell PS5s, to the surprise of no one and they wouldn't sell all that many if the PS5 didn't have games that the PS4 doesn't. Also, it isn't possible to make it run on a 7 year old console because it can't have Ray tracing and it is so weak that it probably can't even handle dynamic weather or dynamic time that is clearly in the trailer. The fact that both the PS4 and the PS5 are based on X86 means absolutely nothing because the PS4 is sooooooo underpowered in comparison to the PS5. It wasn't even considered powerful when it came out 7 years ago. With that logic, I should expect a game that runs on a high-end PC to also run on a $100 laptop with no issues

With that logic, I should expect a game that runs on a high-end PC to also run on a $100 laptop with no issues
I guarantee Minesweeper will run just fine on either :dopey:.

I find it odd anyone would ask such a ridiculous question.
I've only ever played GT3, GT4, GT5, GT6, on two different types of PS consoles, so I would ever only play GT7 and possibly GTS on a PS5.
So for my context part, is not a strange question that relates only to have to buy the hardware to play [one single game] GT7, regardless that it probably will be a mighty good single-player-progression mode game, if the in-game virtual economy in GT7 is very similar to GT4.

I don’t like the all white look ...Seriously how do people with all white things keep them clean??!!

when they release it in cosmo black or space gray I’ll buy the console, could use a new streaming device

If you said this about the controller then I would understand. But what are you doing with your console that you have to constantly clean it??

Since the PS3 days, you turned on the console by turning on your controller, assuming it was already paired. You eject the disk using the UI and you insert the new one shortly after. Never do you physically touch the console.

Heck the PC folks spend that much semi-annually to upgrade their PC

That's not completely true. If you save up and are smart about it, you can make a major investment at once and be set for 7 to 12 years with your components.

If you buy low to mid-end components then you'll be upgrading every other year.

With the PS5's lifespan reported to be only 5 years

Clean them daily?

Let's not ignore how much of a dust magnet Black electronics are (As I can attest to from owning the last three all Black consoles). You use them very often, you will notice.

Regardless of the cost of the PS5, at least you guys can keep your expensive wheels :).

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.

Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...ns-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

Does anyone think it's a bit odd that you have to shell out $500 to play GT7? Not to mention, $60 for the game?
Don't you think it's odd that you have to shell out $300 to play GTS, and every single PS4 game ever?

But the architecture simplifies "logistical demands".

That's why the whole "ps4 ps4pro ps5" thing is all x86. That's why the same can be said about xbox one, xbox one x, xbox series x.

Its like saying how come a company like Rockstar has huge issues working say GTA5 on a ps4 classic or a 2014 Intel 3770 pc or an xbox series x or a current Ryzen 7... they dont have 'issues' becuase they have money to make.

Microsoft dont have issues getting the stuff cross platform, nor should Sony... in fact we will see crossplatform ps4 games with uprated gfx on ps5.

Its a sales marketing issue not really a technical issue. But yes, its also a company timing issue which PD always have.

It is a technical issue. The PS4 is so weak compared to PS5 that releasing GT7 on it would limit it massively due to the hardware. Yes, the architecture is the same but just because both consoles are x86 doesn't mean you can just copy/paste the game onto the other platform.

If it ends up looking like the Trailer I won't be paying £500+ to play a game which looks 90% like GT Sport.

The Ray-tracing isn't even noticeable until you look deeply to see some hidden reflections. Not a single new shader.
GT7 will probably have more than just GTS with new shaders. Remember, games have these things called gameplay, content, etc. You might not be aware of this but there's more to it than graphics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you think it's odd that you have to shell out $300 to play GTS, and every single PS4 game ever?
It is a technical issue. The PS4 is so weak compared to PS5 that releasing GT7 on it would limit it massively due to the hardware. Yes, the architecture is the same but just because both consoles are x86 doesn't mean you can just copy/paste the game onto the other platform.
GT7 will probably have more than just GTS with new shaders. Remember, games have these things called gameplay, content, etc. You might not be aware of this but there's more to it than graphics!

You can multi quote so you don't double/triple post when replying to people.

You can do it all in one post.

Need to see more to decide ofcourse but if it ends up looking no different or improved to the reveal then its not worth it.

Things like car and tracks list are a other reason if it's like GT5 I will be happy.

Well, it does not matter how many cars, or what cars, are in this game. Polyphony Digital needs to put up or shut up. GT:6= let down, GT:S= let down no AI to speak of (which they promised) this is a trend that’s been going on for years. Me, I am sick and tired of it. put some effort into your product, stop trying to sell on your games Name alone. The GT Series has always been on the bottom of the sim world "Always" forever but still gets Praised to the highest by fanboy loyalists. but really, I love GT Series it’s fun in some respects, but Not at all a challenging sim at all! if they do not deliver, I am not getting a PS5 at all. there’s just so many PC sims that deliver what seems, Polyphony can't deliver. Tracks, AI, Damage, Physics, and Multiplayer. the only thing the GT series has going for it, is the profoundly better "use of the controller" on console. best game in that respect. sorry for the rant but the GT Series has been going downhill for a while. I see that I have fell for the "it will get better" thing. But I don't see that it will actually be happening now.

Well, it does not matter how many cars, or what cars, are in this game. Polyphony Digital needs to put up or shut up. GT:6= let down, GT:S= let down no AI to speak of (which they promised) this is a trend that’s been going on for years. Me, I am sick and tired of it. put some effort into your product, stop trying to sell on your games Name alone. The GT Series has always been on the bottom of the sim world "Always" forever but still gets Praised to the highest by fanboy loyalists. but really, I love GT Series it’s fun in some respects, but Not at all a challenging sim at all! if they do not deliver, I am not getting a PS5 at all. there’s just so many PC sims that deliver what seems, Polyphony can't deliver. Tracks, AI, Damage, Physics, and Multiplayer. the only thing the GT series has going for it, is the profoundly better "use of the controller" on console. best game in that respect. sorry for the rant but the GT Series has been going downhill for a while. I see that I have fell for the "it will get better" thing. But I don't see that it will actually be happening now.

I agree. I also think PD shouldn't penalize players with a wheel, it should be an advantage to use a wheel, it is a driving game after all. If it was a flight simulator I would expect a joystick to perform better than a pad but for some reason PD feels it must be equal for everyone. I suppose I should expect that in today's "everyone must get a trophy" society.

Paying 400, 500 or maybe 600 dollars, on top of the game's 60 dollars, when it's the only game that appeals to me on that system, is definitely excessive. The game would have to be outrageously good and give me thousands of hours of entertainment to be worth that amount of money on its own.

I'll have to see more of GT7 and still, I'll probably wait to see what Sony will do regarding the PC platform. I have a feeling GT may be ported over to grab the extra sales of the PC sim-racing crowd. Of course it won't be ported over on its release, as they need to get it to ship some systems, but I'd wait to get it later.

For me, currently still rocking an old 2010 1080p LG tv and PS4 Slim, going to cost a fair bit to upgrade to play GT7, but I see it as a future investment. Been busy doing up my house so priorities had to be focussed on that but definitely in the not too distant future I’m looking to grab a new 4K tv, PS5 as well as GT7 when it’s released and hopefully should be set for the next few years.

Paying 400, 500 or maybe 600 dollars, on top of the game's 60 dollars, when it's the only game that appeals to me on that system, is definitely excessive. The game would have to be outrageously good and give me thousands of hours of entertainment to be worth that amount of money on its own.

I'll have to see more of GT7 and still, I'll probably wait to see what Sony will do regarding the PC platform. I have a feeling GT may be ported over to grab the extra sales of the PC sim-racing crowd. Of course it won't be ported over on its release, as they need to get it to ship some systems, but I'd wait to get it later.

If you need 3 hours of amusement for every dollar you spend you must be a fun date and have very little cost effective things do. You said that GT7 would need to give you thousands of hours of amusement which is 2000 hours minimum, you can't even rent a movie for .33 cents per hour. Im would be good with buying a PS5 for GT7 exclusively if I got 600 hours of enjoyment, even that would be a bargain.

If you need 3 hours of amusement for every dollar you spend you must be a fun date and have very little cost effective things do. You said that GT7 would need to give you thousands of hours of amusement which is 2000 hours minimum, you can't even rent a movie for .33 cents per hour. Im would be good with buying a PS5 for GT7 exclusively if I got 600 hours of enjoyment, even that would be a bargain.

Re-doing the math, I would say I exaggerated. 600-700 hours is a good value. Assuming 60$ games, about 80 hours of gameplay each, would be worth a 500$ asking price for a system.

Why is this thread still going?

PinkGeneralJaeger-small.gif

Back in 2014, I first bought a second hand PS3 slim for 69€ mainly to play blu-rays movies on my video-projector, but grabbed also a second hand Gran Turismo 6 for 16€ just in case I would have been curious on how a videogame would look like on my projected screen.

I'm stuck with Gran Turismo since then, soon after I started playing GT6, a friend of mine sold me his Playseat fully equiped with a Logitech G25 for 150€, and I believe I sat in that playseat almost every single day since then.

Bought a second PS3 with a 500 Go hdd to then play Gran Turismo 5 after I've completed GT6, between 2014 and 2016, completed NFS Shift 1&2, racedriver Grid 1&2, bought them all for less than 15€ each. And always came back to Gran Turismo 6 each time I've completed a racing game til february 2018 when I've noticed that Gran Turismo Sport's updates were starting to be plentifull and consistent.

So then I've decided to purchase the "cheapest" PS4 pro I could find on e-Bay, which I've payed 280€, bought a Thrustmaster T300 rs with some electrical "gremlins" 80€ (which I've fixed by noticing that a very small wire coming from the wheel was pinched inappropriately between two pieces of plastique) and ordered Gran Turismo Sport and Project Cars 2 for around 60€ both.

But mainly spent all my gaming time on GT Sport (and it's been a lot, for average of 4 hours a day) between feb 2018 and aug 2020.

For now, I'm back on GT 6 while waiting for GT7 because I want to be amazed by the gap between the two latest iterated Gran Turismo games. And I must say that GT6 on a 4K Samsung screen enhancing console's signal is absolute honey.

I've been telling all this, that with all the money I've saved being late on games and specifically Gran Turismo :

I'm telling now that I WANT to be a day-one player on Gran Turismo 7

And NO it doesn't appear absurd to me to shell out a bit more than 500€ on what will be the most advanced console to date.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back