Shenmue 3PS4 

While I don't know a thing about Shenmue, I'm surprised the director still decided to come back after 14 years.

Was Shenmue all the rage back then?

Someone posted this on Wiki page.

"On the 16th June 2015, Shenmue 3 was revealed at E3 as a Kickstarter campaign. It became the fastest game ever to reach the $1m mark with more than a month left to go"
It's actually at around $2,300,000 right now (31 days to go)!

While I don't know a thing about Shenmue, I'm surprised the director still decided to come back after 14 years.

Was Shenmue all the rage back then?

Was one of the most hyped, best selling and well recieved games on the Dreamcast.. It was SEGA's big hitter, the only problem was that they could not afford it, I think it near bankrupt them. A very ambitious life-simulator RPG with real time combat taken from Virtua Fighter. Shenmue 1-2 were ground breaking and well ahead of their time in both gameplay/exploration aspects and even graphically... So much so though that the early screenshot above at the top of the screen doesn't look like it has improved much from Shenmue 1-2.

It was one of the biggest and most expensive game development projects ever at the time though, SEGA seemingly didn't think it was worth continuing after the game failed to sell well on the Xbox, SEGA did not have the money to save the Dreamcast (though Shenmue 1-2 sold very well on it).

It's all systems go for Shenmue 3 anyway, they smashed the Kickstarter goal in only a couple of hours.

14 years of waiting to finally get the next installment of this franchise. Shenmue 1 & 2 are still 2 of my favourite games ever made. As soon as I saw the announcement, straight on Kickstarter to contribute. This has to happen, and now, looks like it will.

So happy! So much hype! :D

#SaveShenmue

I'd back this at $500 if I had the cash but I'm skint at this time. Love the first two.

@AOS- if you haven't had the pleasure and can find it cheap enough along with a Dreamcast then I'd say you ow it to yourself.

I've got the OST on preorder.

I could only afford the $29 (about £19) donation, but I'd be surprised if the digital copies are less or equal to that on release. Had to contribute after all the years of fighting to get this badboy released. :D

I don't normally spend that much on a game I can play now, let alone one I have to wait 2 years for lol

In response to the kickstarter growth, the fanbase must be raging! :eek:

@AOS- if you haven't had the pleasure and can find it cheap enough along with a Dreamcast then I'd say you ow it to yourself.

Not that I have a dislike towards the series, but even if I found it for cheap, I wouldn't buy another console to play a single game. I'm just amazed fan requests persevered for 14 years. I can't imagine us ever seeing another Einhander ever... even if it's a remake.

On a stream I watched last night, the hosts said the pledge reached 300,000 shortly after the end of the Sony Expo. As of right now, in less than 24 hours, it's at $2.8M. This is incredible.

Last edited:
It was so far ahead of it's time when it was released, and cost a fortune to make. When it was released, if I remember right, every Dreamcast owner would've had to buy two copies just for it to break even.

At the core it is a simple tale of a young man and his journey for revenge, but the game also covered a broad spectrum of other ideas like discovery, exploration, friendship and culture amoing others. It has certain problems. Some of the English dub acting is hilariously bad, which kinda gives it a little bit of charm. The pace if the game is slow, which can be off putting to many people. If you have somewhere you need to go to advance the story but it is not open, say a certain shop or bar for instance, you have to wait. In Shenmue 2 you could accelerate time, but not it Shenmue 1. I don't really see that as a massive problem though as it always gave me an excuse to hit the arcade to play Hang-On, Space Harrier or QTE Title, The game also had a great combat system adapted from the Virtua Fighter combat system and it was the game that coined the term QTE, and probably did it better than anything that followed.

It's something which needs to be played to be appreciated. I could type for hours but it doesn't do it justice. Instead, I'll leave with you with what may still quite possibly be one of the greatest intro cinematics in gaming history. It may not look that amazing now and I don't have the best capture equipment, but at the time it was truly mindblowing.

I'm still gutted that it's not on Xbox One. The second was on the original console and whilst I'm fairly platform agnostic and tend to buy both main platforms during each generation, buying a PS4 feels more like a necessity at this point and not a purchase of real desire like the Xbox One was.

Damn, only 2 days into the Kickstarter and already the game has amassed almost $3M. God knows how much funding this project is going to have at the end of the 31-day period. I personally am not a fan, but I have enough respect for the series in that TONS of people want to have this sequel so, so, so badly.

I never played 1 or 2, but I know of them. I planned on emulating the games at one point but probably got caught up in some other game. I'm not sure if I'll back it on KS because I just dumped 135 bucks into bloodstained, but I'll be very likely to buy it when it is released.

I have not backed it, but I'm glad others have done. The announcement was awesome and I'm glad it's happening but a bit of a stark reality comes in when you realise you won't be playing this until December 2017 earliest, maybe 2018.

I think I need to turn off the excitement and forget it happened, and then re-awaken it in a few years.

If I were Sega, I'd capitalize on this opportunity to release an HD collection of Shenmue 1 & 2.

Last time I tried to play Shenmue, the *ahem* "technology" wasn't able to play it very smoothly, so I gave up. Maybe I'll give it another try soon.

If I were Sega, I'd capitalize on this opportunity to release an HD collection of Shenmue 1 & 2.

Last time I tried to play Shenmue, the *ahem* "technology" wasn't able to play it very smoothly, so I gave up. Maybe I'll give it another try soon.

Sega has never been known to recognise good business/strategic opportunities that's why they kept failing in their pursue in literally everything they made popular. Without going through long history, just look at Yakuza series. Most of the time they could have capitalise sales by ensuring that the game includes English subtitles during game development instead of taking 3 years to do so.

Not a bad idea there. I mean, even I want to go back to play those games. It'd be a good way to fund the third game as well.

Well, Sega doesn't have anything to do with Shenmue III other than granting Yu Suzuki the right to make it. So unless they're feeling generous and decide to throw the profits of a Shenmue I & II HD collection towards the Shenmue III kickstarter, it wouldn't have any impact on the funding of Shenmue III.

And Soulfresh_ACV is unfortunately pretty spot on. Though one can hope that if Sega's at least willing to let Yu have the rights to make Shenmue III, they'll do something similar with the rights to a HD collection. Maybe sell the rights to Sony or something... wouldn't that be something if the PS4 version of Shenmue III also included I & II?

Back