Should GT6 Dlc be free?

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 93 comments

Should GT6 Downloadable Content be free?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, this thread was made a while ago, if you don't like it don't post here! Show some respect! The thread was made a month before the release of GT6, just a theory. I know it's my mistake for the title, but if you got a problem and wanna say something, vote or keep it to yourself!

The Forza series does the same and in a quite successful manner.

Just like its fans, I have no problem paying for DLC if it is of great quality and of great quantity. They had 10 'unique' new cars a month for quite a while (no duplicates, no same names or from base content), with a huge variety in terms of picks, including one month in which it was 30 Porsches. Would gladly pay for that.

Lets say the first pack consists of three classic GT tracks and six highly requested cars, including Seattle and the E30, for $15. That's a must buy.

We can see now that the majority of DLC cars for Forza 5 are cars that were previously in the series.

Because GT6 has a disappointing 124 new cars and only 8 new tracks where only 3 are original, 1 is classic, 6 in real life and no new rally or city tracks. PD said there will be dlc every month so I though if we are getting limited tracks and cars for a 3 year wait, why should we pay for Dlc?!. Were gonna pay £45 for this and were barely gonna get anything out of it, making us pay more will be a rip off. If there is a thread already like this delete me.
GT6 has the most content of any racing game in history so I have no issue with paying full price for the original game. I don't believe it's a ripoff to pay for more content on top of that, content that is beyond the scope of the original game of course. Course Maker for example I would object to paying for because it was a promised part of the game. New cars and tracks? Certainly I'd pay for that, paying $5-10 is peanuts relative to the amount of time and enjoyment I would get out of it.

GT6 has the most content of any racing game in history so I have no issue with paying full price for the original game. I don't believe it's a ripoff to pay for more content on top of that, content that is beyond the scope of the original game of course. Course Maker for example I would object to paying for because it was a promised part of the game. New cars and tracks? Certainly I'd pay for that, paying $5-10 is peanuts relative to the amount of time and enjoyment I would get out of it.
Well said..

I don't want PD to rush another damn thing. If they make a course maker, and say 100x100 km, then it better be that. It went from 50, then down to 20, which is still a lot better than GT 5, but try to keep your word PD. Rebadged cars are one thing in reality, but in a game it's a bit ridiculous.. Especially when you promote them all as three separate cars.

What I think most people want to see from this or the next GT is the bigs fixed before release (like, actually reviewing all the ins and outs..) and relatively quickly after. I've never seen a game wait to fix this long things that are that obvious. They really need to reach out to new horizons to see other perspectives on the game too.. (Whether or not they actually looking at GTPlanet is one thing, but reviewing their own forum is another).

Next I think we need more options. A true simulator lets you control every single aspect to it. I've said it over and over, look at a Microsoft Flight Simulator, FS2004 or FSX, but take a look at some of the top reviewers and new content promoters.. The levels that the player can take the game versus what the game gives, is unbelievable. We should also have some sort of scenery upgrades, or even a freeware upload system for GT. I mean, we could upload our pictures on a site for all of us to see, why not make a catalogue system where we all can we arch for tracks near us. It's not a matter of licensing because I could remake London-Heathrow or Daytona International Airport if I wanted to, without asking for permission.. I could make a Delta, British Airways, UPS, or a Lufthansa 747 if I wanted to, without licensing. The point is, we need to be able to unleash the full potential through the players, and not the developers...

Not a chance. Any DLC will have to be bought with money. Though you may consider the update cars like the VGT cars, FT 1, C7, REd bulls, etc as free DLC.

Not a chance. Any DLC will have to be bought with money. Though you may consider the update cars like the VGT cars, FT 1, C7, REd bulls, etc as free DLC.
I agree, if we don't pay for dlc's, ( still can't believe I'm saying this) this PD will never bring out new cars like the P1, LAFERRARI and what not. They will end up bringing out normal cars (Boring), or recycle old cars like forza 5 is doing right now. And on that bombshell we wish you a good night.

I agree, if we don't pay for dlc's, ( still can't believe I'm saying this) this PD will never bring out new cars like the P1, LAFERRARI and what not. They will end up bringing out normal cars (Boring), or recycle old cars like forza 5 is doing right now. And on that bombshell we wish you a good night.

Its not just that, its also the fact GT has clearly been moving to a micro transactions model now. Whether PD decided to or was "persuaded". With GT5 they were establishing new ground, being the first Full fledged online GT game, so you could expect some freebies at the start. I think in GT7 we will see even more DLC and add-ons, as I suspect GT7 to be a moree stripped out premium version of GT6, with less content, but more potential for expansion (which you will pay for).

update =/= DLC

Updates aren't paying. B-SPEC, course makers and others features promised will be free.

Ok, anything that should've been in the game on day one should not be something we pay for. New content, as in cars and tracks created after the launch of the full game, is content that makes sense to be monetized.

Comparatively, GT5 had 5 years of work put in, and about 200-250 premium level cars, and 26 locations to race on (and of those, how many were from GT4...?) GT6 took 3 years, (only 60% of GT5), and has what, ~120 new premium cars - that would be between 48-60% of GT5, and then there was the massive upgrades to the standard cars. Then 8 completely new locations, and many upgraded to weather and time cycles... Is this amount of content REALLY too hard to comprehend...? And we already have confirmation of a MASSIVE track creator, AND quite a few free cars.

Is it that much to ask of you to pay PD for the new content they've started post-release...?

New cars/tracks: I would pay for it, if there will be a pack with 15/20 interesting cars (or 3/5 tracks) I will be happy to pay around 10€ (hopefully not only fictional racing cars like a previous GT5 DLC).
Standard to Premium upgrades: those should be free, if they want money for it, then I would check the list before purchasing it, and only if the price is reasonable.
New features: I would pay for a livery editor if necessary, but promised features like course maker and b-spec MUST be free.
In game events: free, that's obvious, they still need to add some races with bigger payouts for those who have finished the game, I'm 100% and platinum and I'm a bit bored...repeating the Vettel evtns over and over again for money is not always fun...

"only 124 new cars and only 8 new tracks"

Since when is that bad?

[somewhat whining]

I believe it doesn't quite imply it's not many new cars in the context of the car list already featuring well over a thousand cars, but what choice of cars we are given. It's absolutely terrible how we keep seeing pretty much the same cars all over again. Adding cool concept cars is just not enough. How come T10 can give their fans the best super- and sportscars in the world and we still have to struggle with 50+ Skylines?

[/somewhat whining]

Still, for some reason my pants feel (positively) funny when I get to think about new stuff we've already received and are about to receive in this game.

There's no "considering" about it, these cars as of late ARE free DLC.
I can't wrap my head around why anyone WOULDN'T consider it FREE DLC. We are about to be running on two months, and haven't been charged for ANY content yet while receiving plenty. Unless you count micro-trans which is completely optional (obsolete if you build your bonus and run the redbull challenge)

It's absolutely terrible how we keep seeing pretty much the same cars all over again. Adding cool concept cars is just not enough. How come T10 can give their fans the best super- and sportscars in the world and we still have to struggle with 50+ Skylines?

Can you imagine the tirade of hate towards PD if those same cars were missing from the game? We still have a nice selection of modern supercars that should keep us happy, there are a few omissions, but it could be beyond PD's control.

And PD being PD, they are Japanese car nerds, they love there skylines, and it is not a difficult operation to have so many versions of a skyline once the basic car model is formed.

[somewhat whining]

I believe it doesn't quite imply it's not many new cars in the context of the car list already featuring well over a thousand cars, but what choice of cars we are given. It's absolutely terrible how we keep seeing pretty much the same cars all over again. Adding cool concept cars is just not enough. How come T10 can give their fans the best super- and sportscars in the world and we still have to struggle with 50+ Skylines?

[/somewhat whining]

Still, for some reason my pants feel (positively) funny when I get to think about new stuff we've already received and are about to receive in this game.
You aren't forced to buy the old cars... why dont you just buy the new ones if you are tired of the old ones? I'll never understand this. The more cars the better... whats the problem on keeping the cars from the old games?

We still have a nice selection of modern supercars that should keep us happy, there are a few omissions, but it could be beyond PD's control.

Yes, it may not have been PD's fault. GT6 being just suddenly announced straight out of nowhere on May 15th '13 being a prime example. Something just isn't right with that.

omg... you aren't forced to buy the old cars... why dont you just buy the new ones if you are tired of the old ones? I'll never understand this. The more cars the better... whats the problem on keeping the cars from the old games?

I don't have a problem with old cars getting transfered into a new game. I have a problem if there's 20 versions of the same car in the game (...again, but let's skip that), where they could (POTENTIALLY, I KNOW) be replaced with 20 different rides.

Again!, this post I did was made 3 months ago, where barely any new was released. After a week the thread was dead. When I bought the game and played it I changed my opinion.

Okay, the post is old, you already been told, and if your gonna make some stupid suggestions like 'are you jokin', you gotta be chokin. Get off my thread and show some respect andd carefully, read the textt!!! Cos your really starting to annoy me, so don't destroy me, stay calm, don't control me! You make me wanna close this thread like its dead, you make wanna make a MC till your in bed.

Last edited:
No, DLC shouldn't be free. Do any of you realize how financially taxing it would be on PD to release free downloadable content every month? Especially in the volume some here are asking. The company would be bankrupt within the year. Now, I realize how much many people here hate Polyphony Digital, but let's not forget that, at the end of the day, they make the game. PD goes bankrupt, Gran Turismo ends. Simple as that.

No, because the GT6 we have now with update 1.04 isn't the end of it. To give any game free DLC (even though the free cars and future Vision GT cars will be free) is pretty damn unheard of and the content we have now in GT6 is more than what other racing games offer. We're talking about content, not the execution or the lack of "promised" features and content that have already been marked for future updates. If you can't stand waiting for features that were in GT5 that aren't in GT6, then tough luck. PD didn't stop adding/adjusting things through updates for about two years (it doesn't matter if those free updates were inconsistent. The entitlement to be given exactly what we want around this forum is annoying.

If this was a thread about the lack of tuning and tuning bugs, customizing or the features that aren't in GT6 that the previous game had, then I would be singing a different tune. Still, we're damn lucky that GT6 has what it has. People were annoyed that Spa and Motegi (GT5 DLC) didn't have both, time change and weather effects, but now they're available in GT6. Other tracks that weren't DLC were given the time change and/or weather effects treatment and here people are still complaining for more tracks.

Eight new tracks isn't enough when people wanted certain tracks to be given the treatment of time change and weather effects? But you need more of them after the game released and for free. Maybe if we collectively gave PD a couple million dollars after the release of a game, they'd give us free tracks. The craziness that is this idea of free DLC SCREAMS false entitlement.

53 Skylines... but they represent 6 decades of the car, some of them are far from similar. Plenty of Mex on the other hand, not that I mind :D

On topic, as several others have already said; it depends. Certainly I wouldn't mind paying for additional tracks or for cars that are new to the game.

Back