Should I get IRacing?

• Thread starter michrulejj
  • 145 comments
United States
Ohio
michrulejj
I seen IRacing and it looks very fun and interesting. I am just getting into racing sims (always been a racing fan on console) on pc. I came across this and it looks very good. Especially the oval racing with stock cars. I was wondering is it worth it? It is currently $15 for 3 months and I was wondering should I get it. Also what are the prices for the cars or how do you get the other ones posted on the site? And another question how is the game set up? Also I do not have a wheel and thought about buying a xbox 360 controller as I dont want to spend a lot on a wheel. And just tell me why I should get this.

You need a wheel, you can technically use a mouse or joystick, but it's no fun and not worth it to pay for the service without a wheel.
Amazon sells DFGTs for about $85 used, about $120 new

Check out the promo code thread in here somewhere if you're serious though

Cars are $12, tracks are $15, and there's a 10 & 20% discount for buying in bulk of 3 & 6. It gets expensive when you start buying tracks, but you can run the base set of cars and tracks if you want.

Last edited:
You shouldn't get it. If your not going for a wheel you will have more fun racing on a console in my honest opinion.

Sim racing is very expensive, I wont lie. Because if you get hooked on it, things to get just rolls on. Starting with a wheel, then a better computer, better or more screens, button box. And another wheel (you just have to test the more expensive one) Pedal set with a load cell brake pedal.

So the price for iRacing will seem cheap in the end.

But if you seriously plan to try it out on a controller. Just don't. Tracks are laser scanned so you can feel every bump, why pay for something like this when GT5 will give you just the same feeling.. No feeling at all.

I concur with the others, no wheel, no iRacing. It is expensive to start, you need to get the tracks and cars. While iRacing does offer great starter kits in the form of either "road" or "oval" You can purchase by the month or 3 months or by the year. I always wait for the American "Black Friday" where I can get 1 year for $49.00, it's a great deal.

Currently I run triple 55" HDTV's and a custom rig, you can visit my rig, there is a link in my sig. I have several thousands invested in my rig.

My advice would be to come up with $1500-$2500 and get a decent PC, Rig and at least 1 good monitor (TV) and a decent wheel and pedal set. It's not cheap that's for sure. You can also start at a cheaper way, get a medium PC a cheap wheel/pedal set and use a desk or table until you can save up for a rig.

iRacing is very addictive and fun, if you are serious about iRacing be prepared to spend many hours a week. There is a stiff learning curve, the more you put into it the more you will get out of it.

Good luck.

I'll clarify that you don't need $1500 in setup.
Like he said cheaper options exist, but cheap is relative.

I run a Dell XPS 17 laptop, that works great, it's probably equivalent of a medium duty entry level desktop and I run an HDMI cable to my TV. And a DFGT clamped to a wood computer desk from Fred Meyer. Assuming you have a decent computer and monitor, that's about $100 and I currently have a little over $300 in iRacing content/subscription. It's not cheap by any means.

You asked about layout, it's a very serious and professional environment, nothing to "unlock" and wrecks are intended to be kept to a minimum unlike GT5, but it's also very fun and addicting.

Last edited:
A training tool? OK. :lol: It's a game. Read their own tag line:

The premier online racing game.

But if it makes you feel like you're training instead of playing... Good for you.

I was attempting to compare it to GT5 there and didn't find the right word(s), I guess that was a little too serious of a word choice, I edited it, thanks for correcting me though :lol:

iRacing is absolutely awesome but as others have said, although it will work with an Xbox 360 controller you really need to use a wheel. If you don't want to spend much then iRacing is not for you as it does work out more expensive than other games although it is worth the expense if you go for it!

But if it makes you feel like you're training instead of playing... Good for you.

Well as a matter of fact many Pro racers do use iRacing as a training tool. For us gamers/sim racers we'll probably never take a Riley DP 190 MPH around Daytona, however we'll be ready :D

Well it is a game, you need a pretty good graphics card witch is normal for a game. It used DirectX wich is normal for a game. And iRacing got ranked by PC gamer to be the best racing game of all time. (probably why they call it premiere online game)

But for a lot of American race car drivers it is a pretty decent training tool.

http://safeisfast.com/sections/7-dr...tting-the-most-out-of-simulation#.UTSW-c7KzIU

I doubt any first person shooter games out there is used by any army to practice war!! That's a game

I use it as a simulator to simulate racing. I really enjoy it as well. If I would consider it a game, I stop doing it tomorrow.

All of this is good input. I was probably going to get a DFGT anyways so that's not an issue. Also my PC is a gaming pc that I got for Christmas. It has I7, 12 GB of RAM upgradable to 32 lol, 2GB of dedicated video, etc. So I have the pc. And what are some wheels that compare to the DFGT that I can use on ps3 also?

Fanatec 911 wheels, either the carrera second hand or the 911 gt3 wheel. Thrustmaster rgt gets good write ups and is reasonably priced and features a clutch.

The DFGT is a great starter wheel, but it do have sloppy pedals. I know the Logitech G27 is used both on PC and PS3 with no big problems. And to the G27, you can get some nice pedal upgrades.

The G27 is a bit more expensive than the DFGT wheel, but it's definitely worth looking into

If you want to put even more money into it you have the Thrustmaster T500RS witch also works both on PC and PS3.

Most Fanatec also works on both PC and PS3.. (I think one of their wheel was made for Xbox360, and I doubt that wheel will work on the PS3.. I might be wrong)

The RGT does not look that bad. Roughly same price as DFGT and has a clutch. Is this as universal as the DFGT? Also I am going to use this on other things. As I am going to pre order GRID 2 here soon 👍 but I want to cross over to sin racing. And as it seems Iracing is really the only good true sim.

michrulejj
The RGT does not look that bad. Roughly same price as DFGT and has a clutch. Is this as universal as the DFGT? Also I am going to use this on other things. As I am going to pre order GRID 2 here soon 👍 but I want to cross over to sin racing. And as it seems Iracing is really the only good true sim.

I believe it is PS3 and pc compatible yes.

I seen IRacing and it looks very fun and interesting. I am just getting into racing sims (always been a racing fan on console) on pc. I came across this and it looks very good. Especially the oval racing with stock cars. I was wondering is it worth it? It is currently $15 for 3 months and I was wondering should I get it. Also what are the prices for the cars or how do you get the other ones posted on the site? And another question how is the game set up? Also I do not have a wheel and thought about buying a xbox 360 controller as I dont want to spend a lot on a wheel. And just tell me why I should get this.

Thank you for your interest in the dark side! :)

IMHO, iRacing is the best service available for clean online pickup racing. The physics are also one of the best of the available racing sims.

I cannot comment on how easy it is to play iRacing with a hand controller.
I play iracing with a wheel, but there are many people who play using the xbox controller. Do any of your nearby friends have a wheel that you can borrow? If so, you may want to consider getting a one month or 3 month sub and use their wheel?

good luck! let us know what you decide to do.
:)

3 months is currently 15 and was yesterday, if it is I will order it and use a controller to see how it operates and see if I like it.

Also promotion goes on until the end if month so that's good. Also what deals do they have if you buy so many cars and tracks at one time? I'm going to have to buy the gen 6 Chevy NASCAR and a few NASCAR tracks. And mid Ohio since I been there a couple times. Also bristol.

Last edited:
10% off for a set of 3 pieces of content and 20% for 6

I highly recommend checking out the iRacing promo codes thread first (I'd send you a link but I'm on my ipod).
I've actually been looking at a G27 for awhile now and they're $250 on amazon right now, the lowest they've been is $199, it has better feedback and better pedals than a DFGT and comes with an H-pattern instead of a sequential but has less buttons in general to map, 6 on the wheel and more on the shifter. As for the RGT I have no idea.

Good luck 👍

Last edited:
Look for the Cadillac promotion. If it is still active you get 3 months for free with additional tracks that you don't get in the basic package (infineon, mosport and mid-ohio I believe.) If that doesn't work, I can give you a free code for three months.

3 months is currently 15 and was yesterday, if it is I will order it and use a controller to see how it operates and see if I like it.

Also promotion goes on until the end if month so that's good. Also what deals do they have if you buy so many cars and tracks at one time? I'm going to have to buy the gen 6 Chevy NASCAR and a few NASCAR tracks. And mid Ohio since I been there a couple times. Also bristol.

Not sure if you are aware. But you won't be able to jump in, buy the gen 6 and race with the big boys. You'll be a rookie which can only participate in the rookie races.

I got the 3 free months. Also I will start in the stock car I think. But I got the three months and going to download for later. An tips on how to level up and move on? And just any tips in general for a new guy?

I got the 3 free months. Also I will start in the stock car I think. But I got the three months and going to download for later. An tips on how to level up and move on? And just any tips in general for a new guy?

You can level up by trying not to get into wrecks. That's the only way to do it. Race as clean as you can and try to avoid aggresive drivers. Oval racing is crazy at first. It seems that the rookie series is full of people who have no idea how to hold a line.

The best advice I think for early oval racing is to hold a really really tight inside line no matter what the fastest line is. That way people can not try and get underneath you when they shouldn't. It will force people to the outside and you have the best chance of avoiding wrecks.

Don't worry about winning in the rookie series and just try to get your SR above 4 so you can move to D class. D calss is pretty rough to though. I really didn't start having quality races untuil i got to C class and into the trucks. So far is the trucks it has been much cleaner racing and really the first time i ahve been able to actually race and not just worry about somebody running me into the wall or off the track.

Ok. How long did it take for you guys to go up a level? I know its different for everyone but I want to get a rough estimate.

It just depends. If you are new to a wheel it will probably take you awhile until you get use to it. I would advise not even racing and just running test sessions until you are very comfortable using a wheel. If you jump straight into races before you'er ready you will lose alot of SR and have a hard time getting it back up.

I think after about 20-25 races I was up to C class. I'm sure some can do it faster, but it would take alot of luck to get to C class much quicker then that.

I didn't ever start from the pits or anything like that. Some people don't even start the race. They just stay in the pits until after the race starts and then come out and run by themselves just ot get their SR up and advance.

Ok. Sounds cool. It's pike actual racing. Like in NASCAR the new guys won't run the whole race or they just chill in the back to get laps in. I like how real it is. The real factor.

Back