Should I get IRacing?

• Thread starter michrulejj
  • 145 comments
It has better visuals, has more cars and the driving physics are more accurate

The only one of those that's true is the 2nd one.. the last one is laughable to be honest, sure GT5 is far from arcade, but it's not even in the same ball park as iRacing.

I think it was ISR that said GT5 was a "simcade" I think that fits best. I was really disappointed with setup in GT5 among everything else mentioned... The scale of 1-10 :lol:

As others have mentioned your last statement is incorrect. As others have said the physics in GT5 definitely are placed in the simcade category and iRacing physics are in the sim category.
:)

A real sim doesn't have music playing in your ear!

I hated that music OMG! Sounded like a broken record, same songs over & over! Ok and several other things like car wash! Wtf. Spinning a car dry! Oil change! Roflmfao! That's arcade to me. Need i say more? Get iracing try it before ya come over here putting your 2 cents in Caprimad123! Have you even tried iracing? Runfast has spoken!
Peace

Last edited:
As others have mentioned your last statement is incorrect. As others have said the physics in GT5 definitely are placed in the simcade category and iRacing physics are in the sim category.

I have both and GT5 is more realistic.

:lol: :lol: what are you using, a game pad controller :lol:
If you call GT5's setups (jacking the front end up as high as it can go and lowering the rear as low as it can go) realistic....I'll leave you to it then :lol:
You do realise for the first half of GT5's life all your setup changes had the opposite effect to what should actually happen....Very realistic :lol:
I do love the GT franchise but you are dreaming !

:lol: :lol: what are you using, a game pad controller :lol:
If you call GT5's setups (jacking the front end up as high as it can go and lowering the rear as low as it can go) realistic....I'll leave you to it then :lol:
You do realise for the first half of GT5's life all your setup changes had the opposite effect to what should actually happen....Very realistic :lol:
I do love the GT franchise but you are dreaming !

True very True:)

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :and maybe an epic facepalm:

Okay, how about this, instead of coming here and telling us that iRacing is worse than Gran Turismo, why don't you just stay in the Gran Turismo forums rather than stirring up the hornets nest. Seriously, if you don't like iRacing then don't talk about it. You don't see any of us iRacing folk coming over to the GT forums and hating blah blah blah.

So go and enjoy your Gran Turismo 'simulator' and leave us arcadey iRacing guys alone. :lol:

May Peace Be Restored.

Man, I guess I need to go back to GT5. I had almost forgotten how great it was. Thanks for reminding me kid. I will send you a friend invite and we will play together. Sound cool to you?

better then what? oh some of you rookies really are mistaken. My bet is that in 3 months you will have quit the service because you find it to hard.

Als ran my firdt race. I was rear ended 4 times before the start and right when it said green the guy rammed me and spun me out -_-. Lowered my MPR by .23...

News flash, green means gooooo

I reckon he has watched a few videos, decided the graphics are worse and that makes GT5 better.

Nuff said.

iRacing and GT5 are almost not comparable, the differences are huge - although, taken at extremely basic generalistic view, they are both driving games/simulators.

Other than that, the differences are almost too many to list.

Preference wil be down to the user, moreso than the game - this is not just with the user's needs but also their equiptment and budget too.

iRacing is far more involved - in terms of car setups, physical options and driving experience. GT5 is more involving in terms of numbers of different cars to drive and options you have i.e. online/offline, organised racing/random racing, driving aids on/off etc.

The graphics are almost irrelvant because there are options to reduce or increase these in iRacing - this will be dependent on your settings and your PC capabilities. Likewise with GT5, what you see is dependent on your TV and PS3 output. You're not going to get HD on a 15 year old nicam TV are you? Same with iRacing - if your PC and monitor can only provide the basic requirements to run iRacing you're probably going to get similiar, or possibly worse, than someone running GT5 at it's highlest level on the best TV available.

IRacing is more driver involvement - there are alot less cars to use, with the selection of cars being repeated in championships which are constantly repeated. The emphasis is on the driver (user), whereas this isn't so important in GT5 as there are plenty of options and racing for all driver levels.

iRacing will only allow you to compete at higher levels once you have earnt the necessary licenses, although you can pracice or race in private session with higher spec/level cars (but you'l have to pay for both the private sessions and the cars/tracks). You will only level up if you get the required "points", but there are different points - safety and race points - it's the safety points that means you can level up. So winning races by ramming people won't get you anywhere.

GT5 you level up only on offline according to the A/B spec points - there is no offline on iRacing, however, Time Trials can increase your required points by a small margin AND they will qualify you for the next level.

BUT - there's no point using time trials to get to a high level if you cannot race (unless you specifically want or are into TT's) - because, when you do race, if you "loose" or have bad races, your safety points will be reduced. If reduced enough, you can get demoted, if you are a bad driver, others can report you to the iRacing stewards.

Finding a balance between increasing your relevent points/licenses, improving both your laptimes and race craft is probably the wisest choice - as generally, you will need all three if you want to get the best out of iRacing. Unless, you have alot of friends and are running private sessions and not public races.

Public races (beginners) are a lottery, you could have really experienced and very fast guys, or complete noobs who simply can't even drive, let alone race.

Staying at beginners level you could get worse racing on iRacing than what you could get by joining a "clean" GT5 website/race series - it really is dependant on what you want/experience or have experienced.

iRacing can be utterly brilliant but also utterly frustrating - as other will crash or take you out and YOU loose points for this.

I don't think iRacing and GT5 can be compared, they are so different. It's really down to the individual and what the individual wants, some may be better of on GT5, others iRacing and some a bit of both.

To really know, you need to explore/research both properly.

Yes I am, but only towards people talking out of their rear end.

Keep this in mind!

•You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack any individual or any group.

I haven't been abusive or hateful towards anyone. Neither did I harass or threaten or attack him at any given time.

If talking nonsense is ok and it's not ok to state the obvious, maybe this forum isn't for me anyway so feel free to do what action you feel needed.

Erik isn't afraid to tell it how it is that's all. I wouldn't have used "retarded" but English isn't his first language so you can't really blame him.

I haven't been abusive or hateful towards anyone. Neither did I harass or threaten or attack him at any given time.

If talking nonsense is ok and it's not ok to state the obvious, maybe this forum isn't for me anyway so feel free to do what action you feel needed.

that guy is simply trolling. leave him be and ignore his posts.

Keep this in mind!

•You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack any individual or any group.

Hey dude, I sense sarcasm or irony in that post. This forums seems to be very strict and tense. Thats good but sometime like now its been exaggerated alot. I wonder if trolling is allowed? :scared:

re·tard
/riˈtärd/

Verb
Delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

Noun
offensive. A mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse).

If you can't hold a discussion without giving out abusive insults to other members of this forum then perhaps a discussion forum isn't for you. It's your call where you go from here. Play the ball, not the man.

iRacing and GT5 are almost not comparable, the differences are huge - although, taken at extremely basic generalistic view, they are both driving games/simulators.

Other than that, the differences are almost too many to list.

Preference wil be down to the user, moreso than the game - this is not just with the user's needs but also their equiptment and budget too.

iRacing is far more involved - in terms of car setups, physical options and driving experience. GT5 is more involving in terms of numbers of different cars to drive and options you have i.e. online/offline, organised racing/random racing, driving aids on/off etc.

The graphics are almost irrelvant because there are options to reduce or increase these in iRacing - this will be dependent on your settings and your PC capabilities. Likewise with GT5, what you see is dependent on your TV and PS3 output. You're not going to get HD on a 15 year old nicam TV are you? Same with iRacing - if your PC and monitor can only provide the basic requirements to run iRacing you're probably going to get similiar, or possibly worse, than someone running GT5 at it's highlest level on the best TV available.

IRacing is more driver involvement - there are alot less cars to use, with the selection of cars being repeated in championships which are constantly repeated. The emphasis is on the driver (user), whereas this isn't so important in GT5 as there are plenty of options and racing for all driver levels.

iRacing will only allow you to compete at higher levels once you have earnt the necessary licenses, although you can pracice or race in private session with higher spec/level cars (but you'l have to pay for both the private sessions and the cars/tracks). You will only level up if you get the required "points", but there are different points - safety and race points - it's the safety points that means you can level up. So winning races by ramming people won't get you anywhere.

GT5 you level up only on offline according to the A/B spec points - there is no offline on iRacing, however, Time Trials can increase your required points by a small margin AND they will qualify you for the next level.

BUT - there's no point using time trials to get to a high level if you cannot race (unless you specifically want or are into TT's) - because, when you do race, if you "loose" or have bad races, your safety points will be reduced. If reduced enough, you can get demoted, if you are a bad driver, others can report you to the iRacing stewards.

Finding a balance between increasing your relevent points/licenses, improving both your laptimes and race craft is probably the wisest choice - as generally, you will need all three if you want to get the best out of iRacing. Unless, you have alot of friends and are running private sessions and not public races.

Public races (beginners) are a lottery, you could have really experienced and very fast guys, or complete noobs who simply can't even drive, let alone race.

Staying at beginners level you could get worse racing on iRacing than what you could get by joining a "clean" GT5 website/race series - it really is dependant on what you want/experience or have experienced.

iRacing can be utterly brilliant but also utterly frustrating - as other will crash or take you out and YOU loose points for this.

I don't think iRacing and GT5 can be compared, they are so different. It's really down to the individual and what the individual wants, some may be better of on GT5, others iRacing and some a bit of both.

To really know, you need to explore/research both properly.

²

if you worship cars -> play GT5
if you want realistic races -> become a Iracing member
If u worship both, enjoy both!

Back