• 393 comments

Opel as a new Premium Manufacturer?

• Yes

Votes: 178 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah it was in a thread I made. It's a pity that Opel has had such a hard time recently and it's pot luck as to which European plants get shut down. The reason why Ellesmere survived might be down to the strength of Vauxhall in the UK. They sell quite well here so it's almost like home demand for the Astra has kept them going. Holden also shut down manufacture in Australia..

I think the government had something to do with Ellesmere staying open.

Why not have a joint dealership for Vauxhall and Opel?

Put some classics in there (Opel Manta, Vauxhall Firenza Droopsnoot, BTCC cars) then just split the current models 50-50 between each brand.

Really hope PD considers it and works something out to avoid "duplicates". If they made the Manta VLN and put a Vauxhall badge on it like they did to the DTMs I would be very happy and very dissapointed at the same time.

PD tried different ways in the past titles to deal with this Opel/Vauxhall situation. So theres hope they figuer it out and make it better next time.

We told them about the significance the Brand has in Europe. ;)

And they were pretty curious about the Manta: http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/299
We find Kaz and have a little bit conversation..
I ask him for a photo with him and tell me ok
And then Kaz ask @Flaco13 do you want a photo with me?
Flaco answer like a boss..
NO!!!

THIS WAS EPIC!! XAXAXAXAXAXAXAX

Thug life!

Last week we sold our Opel Vectra C GTS :'(
It was a beautiful car, but had too many problems...

It was worth 3000€, but the brakes need to start get replaced (~1000€), then there was a damage on the Turbocharger, which would cost us 1600€, the engine started having problems, we asked, it would cost 1400€ to fix it, and then the electronics started to make problems, and somewhere an oil leak...
We decided to sell it...

Or to avoid people getting butthurt about Vauxhalls and Opels being the same they should put Vauxhalls only in the UK version of game while the rest of the world has Opels, just like Gran Turismo 2, 3 and 4. :rolleyes:
Don't even need different versions of the game. The game could autodetect your region and show vauxhalls instead of opels if you're in the UK :P.

Honestly I dont get the point of the Vauxhall brand existing. They're just Opels with a different badge as I said. Its like VW creates a brand called "Car of the People" only for selling in the UK.
Its not like VW creating a new brand just for the UK at all.

Vauxhall's first car was sold in 1903, however it was bought by GM in 1925, while Opel was bought by GM in 1931. As such both marques originally worked independently of each other under the ownership of GM. It was only in the '70s and '80s that the model ranges started to merge.

As such changing Vauxhall's to Opel's in the UK would effectively destroy a brand that has been built up over a century, Opel as a brand is pretty much meaningless to the mainstrem UK car buying public, hence the utter confusion as to why we have a Vauxhall Adam (technically it should be the Vauxhall Alex or Alexander) !

Also I think left-hand driving countries should swich to the right like the vast majority of the world, but thats a whole different topic.
Why? It not exactly difficult to adapt from one to the other, and the costs involved at both a public and private level would be huge.

Last edited:
Also Opels are Chevrolets in Brazil

chevrolet corsa 1.jpg

Why not have a joint dealership for Vauxhall and Opel?

Put some classics in there (Opel Manta, Vauxhall Firenza Droopsnoot, BTCC cars) then just split the current models 50-50 between each brand.
And then have the different Opel/Vauxhall badges in the others section of GTAuto!

View attachment 330505
Oh! I know what Opels are in 'Murica!
1024px-Solid_white.svg.png

Nothing!

Last edited:
And then have the different Opel/Vauxhall badges in the others section of GTAuto!

Only problem with that is Vauxhalls are RHD and Opels are LHD (unless you buy one in Ireland :S)

I suppose Pd could reverse the premium interior and swap the badges, but is it worth it?

Its not like VW creating a new brand just for the UK at all.

Vauxhall's first car was sold in 1903, however it was bought by GM in 1925, while Opel was bought by GM in 1931. As such both marques originally worked independently of each other under the ownership of GM. It was only in the '70s and '80s that the model ranges started to merge.

As such changing Vauxhall's to Opel's in the UK would effectively destroy a brand that has been built up over a century, Opel as a brand is pretty much meaningless to the mainstrem UK car buying public, hence the utter confusion as to why we have a Vauxhall Adam (technically it should be the Vauxhall Alex or Alexander) !

But the Vauxhall brand is a "zombie" of a brand because its dead, the cars are rebadged opels, not the other way round. Vauxhall doesnt make cars as such.
Chevrolet was also non-existent in europe until few years ago and it started to exist so...

Why? It not exactly difficult to adapt from one to the other, and the costs involved at both a public and private level would be huge.

It would reduce the costs of producing cars because all of them would be made with the steering wheel in one side.

In GT3 depending on what languague you were using , you would either get Opels or Vauxhalls , should be like this in GT7 unless we get some old-school Vauxhalls

But the Vauxhall brand is a "zombie" of a brand because its dead, the cars are rebadged opels, not the other way round. Vauxhall doesnt make cars as such.
Chevrolet was also non-existent in europe until few years ago and it started to exist so...
It could equally be argued that its the other way around. You see Opel as the 'first' of the European GM brands because its what you see an Astra, etc as. Some one in the UK thinks the exact opposite.

GM have looked at changing Vauxhall to Opel in the UK many times in the past and every single time they carry out the release it always shows the same thing, it would kill GM's sales in the UK (well for some - for me it wouldn't matter if it had an Opel or a Vauxhall badge on it - I wouldn't buy one).

Oh and the Vauxhall design centre at Millbrook also indicates that GM still see the input from Vauxhall as important.

It would reduce the costs of producing cars because all of them would be made with the steering wheel in one side.
That argument could be used for all those who drive on the right to start driving on the left!

Now while it would reduce the cost of car design (but not by as much as you would imagine) it would leave millions of drivers with cars that were not ideally suited to the new roads (both private and fleet drivers - 35 million in the UK alone) and speaking of roads, it would also require all sign-post, traffic lights and other road furniture to be moved/amended, road markings to be redrawn (on both public roads and in private car parks, shopping centres). The UK has a quarter of a million miles of road, the costs of doing this would be in the billions for the UK alone.

The only country to make the change in the last forty years was Samoa and they did the sensible thing and changed from driving on the left to driving on the right. Even in a country as small as Samoa which has less than 200,000 people (London has 42 times that many people living in it) and 14,000 cars (so the UK has 2,500 times more cars) they still had to give everyone a two day holiday (businesses would love that - each day would cost it roughly £2.3 billion) and phase in what traffic could drive when. How much it would cost India (who also drive on the left) with 160 million vehicles and near 3 million miles of road is frightening to even start to think about.

So what you propose would cost the tax payers and businesses of those countries billions in costs and lost revenue, make every vehicle on the road obsolete overnight and increase the potential for accidents. No thanks I think we will keep it as it is, its not really a viable or sensible thing to do.

Last edited:
Only problem with that is Vauxhalls are RHD and Opels are LHD (unless you buy one in Ireland :S)

I suppose Pd could reverse the premium interior and swap the badges, but is it worth it?
Why is that a problem actually? We have loads of cars as RHD in the game, most of which you'd think they should be LHD according to their heritage.

A few in-game RHD examples:
Abarth 500 (Punto is LHD)
Alfa Romeo Mito
Alfa Romeo 147 '06 (Brera is LHD)
Volkswagen Golf R '10
Volkswagen Scirocco R '10 (Golf IV & V GTI LHD)
Citroen C4 Coupe '05
Peugeot 207 GTi (RCZ is LHD)
All the Volvos including the standards ... speaking of which, the Opel Vectra is a RHD, too.

So if they mix it up already, and nobody seems to care, why would it be important for Opel/Vauxhall?

I want them in the game, I don't care whether their wheels are left or right. Others don't seem to mind a RHD Volkswagen or Volvo either.

As you said, one can always pretend it's an Irish version.

Why is that a problem actually? We have loads of cars as RHD in the game, most of which you'd think they should be LHD according to their heritage.

A few in-game RHD examples:
Abarth 500 (Punto is LHD)
Alfa Romeo Mito
Alfa Romeo 147 '06 (Brera is LHD)
Volkswagen Golf R '10
Volkswagen Scirocco R '10 (Golf IV & V GTI LHD)
Citroen C4 Coupe '05
Peugeot 207 GTi (RCZ is LHD)
All the Volvos including the standards ... speaking of which, the Opel Vectra is a RHD, too.

So if they mix it up already, and nobody seems to care, why would it be important for Opel/Vauxhall?

I want them in the game, I don't care whether their wheels are left or right. Others don't seem to mind a RHD Volkswagen or Volvo either.

As you said, one can always pretend it's an Irish version.
The Opel Vectra is also LHD

It's because PD probably scanned the Japanese version of these cars in which are LHD.

The Opel Vectra is also LHD

It's because PD probably scanned the Japanese version of these cars in which are LHD.
No, the Opel Vectra in the game is RHD, although its a standard car it is clearly visible. Just go to the Dealer and select the car, you can spot it through the windows.

Yes, they scan/photograph those they get easy acess to, it's pretty logical. Opel Group doesn't sell cars in Japan anyway, so they could choose where to go. Best go to Britain and just scan or photograph or whatever they do the RHD, IMO.

Edit: That was nonsense, they don't have to go to Britain, they got all the different versions at the HQs at Rüsselsheim.

Edit: A picture of the Opel Vectra, it's GT5 but trust me they didn't change that for 6, it's still RHD. Oh, yes they sold this model in Japan back then, unlike the OPC/VXR version, which is why we have this one instead. :grumpy:

Attachments

• pic (164).jpg
    pic (164).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Or to avoid people getting butthurt about Vauxhalls and Opels being the same they should put Vauxhalls only in the UK version of game while the rest of the world has Opels, just like Gran Turismo 2, 3 and 4. :rolleyes:

or 1 brand Op-Halls
ophalls

Here's an idea. Put opels in the game, but have vauxhall logos and stuff as styling items in the customisation shop.

What about the Infintis? They are branded Infiniti even tho they are Nissans , same for the FR-S and BRZ and a lot of other cars , why should it be different with Vauxhall?

I dunno. I'm just giving ideas that could bring down the number of duplicates. I don't really care what each model is branded as, as long as the model is there, but I do think it is unnecessary to have a lot of duplicates in the game.

Most logical idea , i think , is to split the models 50-50 like they did with Infinitis , PD could very well put those cars in the Nissan dealership too , but they didn't . Hopefully they do this with Vauxhall and Opel.

Most logical idea , i think , is to split the models 50-50 like they did with Infinitis , PD could very well put those cars in the Nissan dealership too , but they didn't . Hopefully they do this with Vauxhall and Opel.
Inbefore, someone uses the arguement that "specific types" of cops in London law online rooms, will pull you over for driving an Opel instead of a Vauxhall, despite the fact it is the same thing except for different markets. :lol:

GT4 had both makes in it.

Here's an idea. Put opels in the game, but have vauxhall logos and stuff as styling items in the customisation shop.
This way, wouldnt we end up with LHD Vauxhalls? Unacceptable IMO because they dont exist. I could live with RHD Opels though. I dont think Pd would change the entire interiors.

Last edited:
No, the Opel Vectra in the game is RHD, although its a standard car it is clearly visible. Just go to the Dealer and select the car, you can spot it through the windows.

Yes, they scan/photograph those they get easy acess to, it's pretty logical. Opel Group doesn't sell cars in Japan anyway, so they could choose where to go. Best go to Britain and just scan or photograph or whatever they do the RHD, IMO.

Edit: That was nonsense, they don't have to go to Britain, they got all the different versions at the HQs at Rüsselsheim.

Edit: A picture of the Opel Vectra, it's GT5 but trust me they didn't change that for 6, it's still RHD. Oh, yes they sold this model in Japan back then, unlike the OPC/VXR version, which is why we have this one instead. :grumpy:
Then why the driver is in the right side of the car?????

GT4 had both makes in it.
In the PAL version of the game if you change the language to English, Vauxhalls will be there instead of Opels, same thing in GT3 and GT2.

View attachment 330505
That Corsa C generation saloon has always been kinda cool, Europe never got them.
A Saloon and Wagon version of Corsa B with Buick brand was sold to Chinese market.
buick-sail-srv-2.jpg

ccbs.jpg

Last edited:
Then why the driver is in the right side of the car?????

In the PAL version of the game if you change the language to English, Vauxhalls will be there instead of Opels, same thing in GT3 and GT2.

A Saloon and Wagon version of Corsa B with Buick brand was sold to Chinese market.
buick-sail-srv-2.jpg

ccbs.jpg
A car is Right Hand Drive when it has the steering wheel on the right side.

The steering wheel is on the left side when you drive on the right side of the road. It naturally follows that the steering wheel is on the right side when you drive on the left side of the road

Latest Posts

Back