• 393 comments

Opel as a new Premium Manufacturer?

• Yes

Votes: 178 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, right... Might want to re-read the discussion.

Oh yeah, I did. On a side note, so far from importance I already forgot it.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8691513#post8691513
Still, how did I mention it throughout "the entire conversation"?

Well gee, use your brain. Do you think perhaps the reason I didn't go looking was because it wasn't relevant to the main point of this debate.

By telling you about the opc wich has no comparable GM performance wise. Same body (rebadge) yes. Same performance, nope!

Yeah it does, they are called Cadillac. For the last time the rules don't work the same here as they do their. Opel can use whatever they want but GM isn't going to rebadge every car and bring it to the U.S. that was Opel and then call it Buick or Chevy. Rather they are going to split the performance effort across their brands. Chevy has a supercar and muscle car along with sedans compacts blah blah. Buick has luxury low end sedans and Cadillac has the high end. Cadillac is comparable to OPC actually better than OPC and since it is GM, it does hence why I don't need to argue Buick being same performance. If there was no ATS I'm sure buick would have made the OPC a Regal GS and the Verano an Astra OPC just with a sedan body. End of story.

Really don't see how calling someone a Xenophobe and not putting forth the evidence to prove it is funny or sly, if you want to break AUP though...
You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Well gee, use your brain. Do you think perhaps the reason I didn't go looking was because it wasn't relevant to the main point of this debate.

Yeah it does, they are called Cadillac. For the last time the rules don't work the same here as they do their. Opel can use whatever they want but GM isn't going to rebadge every car and bring it to the U.S. that was Opel and then call it Buick or Chevy. Rather they are going to split the performance effort across their brands. Chevy has a supercar and muscle car along with sedans compacts blah blah. Buick has luxury low end sedans and Cadillac has the high end. Cadillac is comparable to OPC actually better than OPC and since it is GM, it does hence why I don't need to argue Buick being same performance. If there was no ATS I'm sure buick would have made the OPC a Regal GS and the Verano an Astra OPC just with a sedan body. End of story.

But there IS an ATS and Buick didn´t make the GS the same as Insignia OPC, and the Verano IS still a Sedan not a hatchback like the Astra OPC, and Cadillac and Opel do not share cars (no rebabdge) currently so you very well need to argue Buick being the same performance or not when you where the one to make the claim in the first place.

I said one of your post SEEMED like you where that xenophobe you are trying not to be, and one or two posts back I said : ONE can be described as a xenophobe even if he likes one foreign country but hates another. If you want we can leave the decision, wether I violated the AUP with this or not, to a moderator.

Last edited:
But there IS an ATS and Buick didn´t make the GS the same as Insignia OPC, and the Verano IS still a Sedan not a hatchback like the Astra OPC, and since Cadillac and Opel do not share cars (no rebabdge) currently so you very well need to argue Buick being the same performance or not when you where the one to make the claim in the first place.

I showed they were re-badge as far as Buick goes, I know that there IS ATS and that GM made the call to not make a Buick OPC. The point was that they can't because they have an entire class of cars that already does what the OPC's of Opel do and even more, they can't have both Buick and Cadillac doing that. So I think the best thing would have people be able to buy cheaper Buicks on the game and then work up to faster more expensive Cadillac that have better figures than Opel. Clearly you didn't get my point. Anyways they look the same, and Opel and Cadillac don't have re-badge but they do share platforms.

I said one of your post SEEMED like you where that xenophobe you are trying not to be, and one or two posts back I said : ONE can be described as a xenophobe even if he likes one foreign country but hates another. If you want we can leave the decision, wether I violated the AUP with this or not, to a moderator.

I know what you said, there is no evidence to prove I hate any country. Just because I don't like a car brand does not constitute a hate of the country. It seems more likely that your biased over ruled you and that is why you wave the xenophobe flag. I like plenty of german products, just not the one your pushing on me or asking a community of they'd care to see. Also if you want to ask a mod go ahead, the point is you say it seemed and try to imply that you weren't sure, yet you push that agenda by trying to teach me the definition of a term that I know. As if to say "well you may think you're not xenophobic by wanting Australian cars, but that doesn't disprove you aren't toward Germans". Which is completely stupid because ones taste in cars is subjective not a bias or hate toward the country of origin those cars come out of.

I showed they were re-badge as far as Buick goes, I know that there IS ATS and that GM made the call to not make a Buick OPC. The point was that they can't because they have an entire class of cars that already does what the OPC's of Opel do and even more, they can't have both Buick and Cadillac doing that. So I think the best thing would have people be able to buy cheaper Buicks on the game and then work up to faster more expensive Cadillac that have better figures than Opel. Clearly you didn't get my point. Anyways they look the same, and Opel and Cadillac don't have re-badge but they do share platforms.
Sure the idea (for any GM Enthusiast, like you and me are) to start with Buicks and working up to Cadillacs is cool. Why not? And if we could choose from Vauxhall/Opel or Buick, even better, not? :)

I know what you said, there is no evidence to prove I hate any country. Just because I don't like a car brand does not constitute a hate of the country. It seems more likely that your biased over ruled you and that is why you wave the xenophobe flag. I like plenty of german products, just not the one your pushing on me or asking a community of they'd care to see. Also if you want to ask a mod go ahead, the point is you say it seemed and try to imply that you weren't sure, yet you push that agenda by trying to teach me the definition of a term that I know. As if to say "well you may think you're not xenophobic by wanting Australian cars, but that doesn't disprove you aren't toward Germans". Which is completely stupid because ones taste in cars is subjective not a bias or hate toward the country of origin those cars come out of.

Exactly, you said it yourself by saying it "seems like"... I expressed myself on not being sure the first time I replied to the xenophobia issue (which you brought up), therefore I didn´t directly accuse you of being xenophobic. And believe me or not, It was an impression I got at the time I read said post of yours but later didn´t think you were one anymore, hence why I didn´t directly reply again when you came up with it again. The second time I then replied was just now, saying the definition of the term can be to hate only certain countries and doesn´t have to be limited to simply hate them all, except for one´s own home country of course.

No, I´m not going to message a moderator, if you want to fine.

Last edited:
Sure the idea (for any GM Enthusiast, like you and me are) to start with Buicks and working up to Cadillacs is cool. Why not? And if we could choose from Vauxhall/Opel or Buick, even better, not? :)

I rather just have the DTM and Rally cars from Opel. So we can run classic races, I'd like if they were blank just in case we get a livery editor (which I doubt we will)..

Exactly, you said it yourself by saying it "seems like"... I expressed myself on not being sure the first time I replied to the xenophobia issue (which you brought up), therefore I didn´t directly accuse you of being xenophobic. And believe me or not, It was an impression I got at the time I read said post of yours but later didn´t think you were one anymore, hence why I didn´t directly reply again when you came up with it again. The second time I then replied was just now, saying the definition of the term can be to hate only certain countries and doesn´t have to be limited to simply hate them all, except for one´s own home country of course.

No, I´m not going to message a moderator, if you want to fine.

Sure I'm fine now.

I rather just have the DTM and Rally cars from Opel. So we can run classic races, I'd like if they were blank just in case we get a livery editor (which I doubt we will)..
IMO, your idea is not what the majority of GT players, casuals, want in a GT game. I respect your opinion though.

Edit -

Crap. I think I'm interrupting something great.

Yeah, I still don't see why anyone would prefer a buick verano over the Opel Astra OPC; it's an awesome hot hatch.

IMO, your idea is not what the majority of GT players, casuals, want in a GT game. I respect your opinion though.

Edit -

Crap. I think I'm interrupting something great.

Did you just come here because you saw it was me arguing and wanted to jump in with something that really didn't add to the conversation? If you are using the "poll" here as a reference point that'd be quite stupid, that's if you are which I hope you aren't.

Yeah, I still don't see why anyone would prefer a buick verano over the Opel Astra OPC; it's an awesome hot hatch.

That's great. Other than the fact that Opel use a more aggressive tune on then Buick, I don't really see anything amazing that makes it stand out from the Verano Turbo. I mean other than looking like a hatchback...

Attachments

• SAM_1160.JPG
    SAM_1160.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 5
  • SAM_1161.JPG
    SAM_1161.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The one that wears a Jersey of AC Milan Football Club at the Nürburgring, only because they once had Opel as their Sponsor, that Fanboy there's me.

Edit: And we didn't tell them anything, that wasn't to be taken serious. We just asked them to pose for pics. They are all pretty cool people.

Last edited:
Yeah. But, since I started this thread (i had to go and look :D June 2012) not much has happened. I was contacting people from Opel countless times, saying "if they don't come to you, go to them", but they don't seem to understand it or don't want to do it for whatever reason. What I have found out throughout all that time, it's not a GM blocking blah blah thingy, it's simply: If PD is interested, they get a license for a Opel car. Period. No one will put any stones in their way. If the community isn't shouting for them, PD probably won't draw attention. That's the story...

Edit: Chances stand rather good for the Manta VLN Racecar, however, I'm not sure if the owner has a saying regarding licensing there. He's a Private person, not Opel/GM related. Then there would be a problem should he disagree.

Last edited:
I've seen this just a couple of days ago, did you post that somewhere before? What leaves a bit of a bad taste about all that is Ellesmere Port celebrating their 50th about the same time Bochum gets shut down. From another perspective one could of course say, another reason for Ellesmere to celebrate, they survived because they had the more modern plant?

Last edited:
I've seen this just a couple of days ago, did you post that somewhere before? What leaves a bit of a bad taste about all that is Ellesmere Port celebrating their 50th about the same time Bochum gets shut down. From another perspective one could of course say, another reason for Ellesmere to celebrate, they survived because they had the more modern plant?

Yeah it was in a thread I made. It's a pity that Opel has had such a hard time recently and it's pot luck as to which European plants get shut down. The reason why Ellesmere survived might be down to the strength of Vauxhall in the UK. They sell quite well here so it's almost like home demand for the Astra has kept them going. Holden also shut down manufacture in Australia.

Opel are basically the forgotten German marque with quality comparable to VW yet for some reason no where near as popular. I would have an Opel/Vauxhall over a boring soulless square VW any day.

When I was young and going to school in a place with kids who usually had petrohead big brothers, or dads, opel seemed really popular. That is also 15 years ago though.

I don't think there is any reason to not put premium opels/vauxhauls in the next game. They clearly made some memorable cars and had a role to play in automotive history.

Insignia OPC, Astra OPC, Corsa OPC, There's a lot new Opel cars that are awesome. Also Kadett, Rekord, Calibra form old model are car that should be made premium. Some DTM cars form Opel deserve little love form PD. :)

What about us Brits who don't get Opels, but only Vauxhall's? I want Vauxhall's and Opel's to stay.
Honestly I dont get the point of the Vauxhall brand existing. They're just Opels with a different badge as I said. Its like VW creates a brand called "Car of the People" only for selling in the UK.
Also I think left-hand driving countries should swich to the right like the vast majority of the world, but thats a whole different topic.

Honestly I dont get the point of the Vauxhall brand existing. They're just Opels with a different badge as I said. Its like VW creates a brand called "Car of the People" only for selling in the UK.
Because Vauxhall's are British! Honestly I don't understand it either but if I see an Astra I automatically think Vauxhall, not Opel

Because Vauxhall's are British! Honestly I don't understand it either but if I see an Astra I automatically think Vauxhall, not Opel
Vauxhall may be a british name/brand, but the cars are german, and at the same time they're part of GM which is american.

Vauxhalls must stay. Because VXR8 and the original Vauxs from before the rebadging, like Chevette and Firenza. And the rebadged? Its so simple to keep off of clones, Insignia OPC Sedan as Opel; Insignia VXR Sports Tourer as Vauxhall etc etc.

Or to avoid people getting butthurt about Vauxhalls and Opels being the same they should put Vauxhalls only in the UK version of game while the rest of the world has Opels, just like Gran Turismo 2, 3 and 4. :rolleyes:

If they made the VXR8 and Britain has it but the rest does not? Would be silly, look at the BMW with that special paint and what happened there. And then what about a classic pre-83 Model? What about race cars? Also, vxr and opc have slightly different specs actually. Even with the current poor choices of cars, theres lots of people not from Britain who use Vauxhalls instead on Opel meets in the game. I just ran into an amazing tune for the Corsa done by a Scotsman so I thought Id use a Vaux to put that setup on. No, I would rather have acces to all of them. Just because some ppl whine about the car count? If they get the specs correct a Vaux is never just a clone of an Opel. In GT5 I remember the Vectras had different suspension and gear boxes. Only the none existent race cars got to go IMO.

Last edited:
Back