• 393 comments

Opel as a new Premium Manufacturer?

• Yes

Votes: 178 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are indeed several reasons a car becomes iconic, and you're right they don't have to be unique in concept but those muscle cars you mentioned appeal perhaps on an emotional level or due to their cultural significance and that specific period of US history.

Mostly though, a car (or anything) is called iconic because it has some sort of universal mass appeal or because it's perceived to be iconic within a certain subculture (for most the Toyota AE86 looks just like any other boxy eighties Japanese car yet for those 'in the know' it's regarded as something really special).

The current trend for, well, trendy retro-looking small European cars is largely based on very famous predecessors which are known by a very wide audience.
And the Opel Adam (although strictly not retro perhaps) is clearly aimed to tap into that market without having one of those famous names like Mini/500/etc.
That's all I was trying to say basically.
Exactly my point, the AE86 is a darn good example you made there. You either love it or you love a Silvia ;) .

Let me remind you that it was you who was trying to put the Adam into that Retro outfit. I was trying to say it is, intended or not, a re-make/birth of the Corsa A. Not because it shares any visual aspects of it(or maybe if it was to be retro its a mixture of Corsa A+B?), but simply because its aiming to the exact customers the Corsa A once did. And I could lay my hands on fire claiming young people, especially female would prefer the sporty looks of the Adam over the cube shaped up! at any time.
Retro or not, I think, only time can tell, about wich will be the more sucessfull new mini-hatchback.
And the fact that it was not necessary to use a pre-existing name for both VW and Opel must not even be a bad move.

@ CallyDave: 'GSi' the name itself is becoming iconic. I signed a leasing contract for a 2009 Corsa D GSi yesterday. I thought what I had just purchased was nothing really special, until I found out they don't even produce them as GSi's any more. So this package was only build from '07 to '10, if I recall right. Making this car a bit more unique.??? I will see what it will be in the future.:nervous: It is a 5door aswell, I don't know if they will ever be sought after, but from the example you've made... Who would've thought this back in '93 after buying a Corsa GSi, that it could have doubled its price after 19 years?

Until then I'm just going to enjoy the torque of that 1.6L turbo(If it bores me one day I can still get a phase2 upgrade) but for now this is perfectly fitted for me.
170412_478780168817201_1177750890_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, both opel & vauxhall should be prenium car makes in GT5!
There was some good cars from both of them:
- Opel Tigra ICE Race Car (from GT2)
- Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (make a prenium)
- Vauxhall Insignia VXR/ Opel Insignia OPC
- Vauxhall Astra VXR '07
- '09 Vauxhall VXR8 Bahurst Edition
- Opel Astra OPC
- Opel Corsa OPC Nurburgring Edition

One last statement to the names. Opel called it Adam, after the founder Adam Opel. I'm glad that is a huge advantage. Because VW couldn't call a car after its founder ;) ... 'Adolf' would be beyond oddness lol

Last edited:
Let me remind you that it was you who was trying to put the Adam into that Retro outfit.

Fair enough, I only used the word retro as the overall shape bares some resemblance in my view to the Fiat 500 but perhaps 'trendy' would be a more appropriate description.
And with cars generally getting bigger and bigger, this might indeed be considered to fill the gap previously filled ages ago by the first Corsa.
But I don't think it's a spiritual successor to the Corsa, it's significantly different and more upmarket in appeal and deliberately made this way to get into this particular market segment.

Don't know if it by default appeals more to women than the Up though, there are all sorts of women you know ;), and saying the round 'sporty' look appeals more to them is like saying all kids like bright colours which also turns out not to be true, it could sell much more but there are also those who appreciate the no-nonsense form-follows-function 'Bauhaus' style of the Up more.

Fair enough, I only used the word retro as the overall shape bares some resemblance in my view to the Fiat 500 but perhaps 'trendy' would be a more appropriate description.
And with cars generally getting bigger and bigger, this might indeed be considered to fill the gap previously filled ages ago by the first Corsa.
But I don't think it's a spiritual successor to the Corsa, it's significantly different and more upmarket in appeal and deliberately made this way to get into this particular market segment.

Don't know if it by default appeals more to women than the Up though, there are all sorts of women you know ;), and saying the round 'sporty' look appeals more to them is like saying all kids like bright colours which also turns out not to be true, it could sell much more but there are also those who appreciate the no-nonsense form-follows-function 'Bauhaus' style of the Up more.
You are right, lets not debate about women for we will never understand them anyway :).
Yeah, funny isn't it? Bauhaus-forms seem to work with an VW badge on it, but any other make and it is torn down and ripped appart by (almost) every Car-magazine... real strange

Flaco13
@ CallyDave: 'GSi' the name itself is becoming iconic. I signed a leasing contract for a 2009 Corsa D GSi yesterday. I thought what I had just purchased was nothing really special, until I found out they don't even produce them as GSi's any more. So this package was only build from '07 to '10, if I recall right. Making this car a bit more unique.??? I will see what it will be in the future.:nervous: It is a 5door aswell, I don't know if they will ever be sought after, but from the example you've made... Who would've thought this back in '93 after buying a Corsa GSi, that it could have doubled its price after 19 years?

Until then I'm just going to enjoy the torque of that 1.6L turbo(If it bores me one day I can still get a phase2 upgrade) but for now this is perfectly fitted for me.

Are they really doing 1.6t Corsa D GSi's!? The GSi never even made it to production on the Corsa C, which in my eyes was a great shame, as the kit looked epic! I would have thought yours would actually be the SRi model.....

Also, IIRC the only GSi's that were sold as 5doors would have been the likes of the Vectra, and the mk4 Astra Estate/Caravan (whichever term you prefer), everything else was 3door......

Also with regards to your engine, there is some serious potential to be had from that engine!, get looking for a crashed Corsa VXR/OPC for it's engine though, as they are 192bhp as standard, and have a slightly stronger bottom end...... That, or I know of a guy that has figured put how to make a C20XE "redtop" from the Calibra/mk3 Astra GSi/Vauxhall Cavalier GSi work (yes I know your Corsa uses Canbus, which is a pain in the ass to mess with, but it has been done, with surprisingly good results!

Are they really doing 1.6t Corsa D GSi's!? The GSi never even made it to production on the Corsa C, which in my eyes was a great shame, as the kit looked epic! I would have thought yours would actually be the SRi model.....

Also, IIRC the only GSi's that were sold as 5doors would have been the likes of the Vectra, and the mk4 Astra Estate/Caravan (whichever term you prefer), everything else was 3door......

Also with regards to your engine, there is some serious potential to be had from that engine!, get looking for a crashed Corsa VXR/OPC for it's engine though, as they are 192bhp as standard, and have a slightly stronger bottom end...... That, or I know of a guy that has figured put how to make a C20XE "redtop" from the Calibra/mk3 Astra GSi/Vauxhall Cavalier GSi work (yes I know your Corsa uses Canbus, which is a pain in the ass to mess with, but it has been done, with surprisingly good results!

I don't know what they have sold under GSi badges in other countrys, but here the Corsa D was the first GSi you could choose between 3 and 5 door. We never had a Cavalier/Vectra; Astra Caravan or Calibra GSi.
There was Corsa (A,B,C,D) GSi; Kadett(E) GSi; Astra(F) GSi; Manta B GSi They are planning on a Astra (J) GSi ...

No need to swap engine,Corsa OPC and GSi uses the same. There are plenty tuners 'chip' it to 210bhp. Giving it the power the Nürburgring Edition has, missing proper suspension and lsd of course.
But I have no intention on changing anything just yet, its 150hp is best for daily driving.
If I want to go to the ring I just rent an OPC ;)

Greatest surprise was when I read it has ESPplus, it was either a mistake by my dealer or the pre-owner really ordered it, I've yet to find out. ESPplus didn't come stock until 2010 facelift models

Last edited:
The Calibra never had a GSi in the lineup, only the SE's, LE's and the DTM's ;-)

Not wanting to sound nasty or anything, so please don't take the following in any such way, but unfortunately your "GSi" is just an SRi....... Besides, OPC/VXR range is essentially the update of the GSi now.

It's a great shame and in my eyes a damn disgrace that they resurrect the GSi name for something that it clearly isn't.......

Just a question are opel affiliated with gm and holden? i have seen examples like commodore, astra etc that were holden vehicles here in australia.

Just a question are opel affiliated with gm and holden? i have seen examples like commodore, astra etc that were holden vehicles here in australia.

Yes, Opel has been a GM brand since the late twenties, just like Holden is a GM brand. :)

The odd Holden is available rebadged as a Vauxhall, but bizzarely not as an Opel.......

On the subject of Opel, GM appear to be considering to cut their losses, and sell up, as Opel are still loosing money hand over fist

The odd Holden is available rebadged as a Vauxhall, but bizzarely not as an Opel.......

Not that bizarre given that both Holden and Vauxhall only make RHD cars whilst Opel only makes LHD cars, converting a RHD Holden into a LHD Opel is probably considered too expensive given that it's a high end niche market, whilst simply putting on a new badge does make sense financially.

Monaro sold as a Pontiac GTO in the states, RHD converted to LHD..... Although I suppose they could be built in the states, although I'm sure I read somewhere once that they are built in Oz, and shipped to the U.S......

Monaro sold as a Pontiac GTO in the states, RHD converted to LHD..... Although I suppose they could be built in the states, although I'm sure I read somewhere once that they are built in Oz, and shipped to the U.S......

That's true, forgot about that.

Sampyla20plus
If we ever will have any Manta, Calibra, Kadett or Omega to be added, I would become a happy man.

Meaning the original road cars.

I would be too... But don't get your hopes up too much! :-/

The Calibra never had a GSi in the lineup, only the SE's, LE's and the DTM's ;-)

Not wanting to sound nasty or anything, so please don't take the following in any such way, but unfortunately your "GSi" is just an SRi....... Besides, OPC/VXR range is essentially the update of the GSi now.

It's a great shame and in my eyes a damn disgrace that they resurrect the GSi name for something that it clearly isn't.......

No no, I totally agree with you and I'm well aware of it, the GSi is just a package, not to many people wanted those red parts on the steering wheel and the red seatbelt. They stoped producing them in '10 anyway. You get the 'small' 1.6 turbo in any Model line now: Color Edition etc.

Not that bizarre given that both Holden and Vauxhall only make RHD cars whilst Opel only makes LHD cars, converting a RHD Holden into a LHD Opel is probably considered too expensive given that it's a high end niche market, whilst simply putting on a new badge does make sense financially.

Aren't they all badged as Opel AND RHD in Ireland? Not the Monaro... I mean the regular models

cally-dave

Yeah they were assembled here and badged in the US.

Flaco13
Aren't they all badged as Opel AND RHD in Ireland? Not the Monaro... I mean the regular models

The Monaro is only sold as Holden, Pontiac, and Vauxhall. Opel never added them to their range, but Opel got the exclusive on the Opel Lightning, which is effectively the Pontiac Solstice I think......

Bit yeah, over here they are RHD and Opel badged. Here and South Africa are the only RHD Opel's, and possible Japan.......

Flaco13
No no, I totally agree with you and I'm well aware of it, the GSi is just a package, not to many people wanted those red parts on the steering wheel and the red seatbelt. They stoped producing them in '10 anyway. You get the 'small' 1.6 turbo in any Model line now: Color Edition etc.

I think the red bits look nice to be honest lol

Sorry for effectively double posting and not multi quoting, im on the android app

I think the red bits look nice to be honest lol

Sorry for effectively double posting and not multi quoting, im on the android app

Yeah me too. I fell in love with it because it reminds me of the Peugeot 205 Roland Garros Ed. wich my uncle bought back in '92, it has red belts, too. This car was driven by my uncles, father my sis and me. It is still used by my Dad's gf today, with about 450k km's on the chassis. Still a great car.

The Monaro is only sold as Holden, Pontiac, and Vauxhall. Opel never added them to their range, but Opel got the exclusive on the Opel Lightning, which is effectively the Pontiac Solstice I think......

Bit yeah, over here they are RHD and Opel badged. Here and South Africa are the only RHD Opel's, and possible Japan.......

As far as I know the Solstice was the Opel GT here, or at least they shared the platform along with the Saturn Sky in the US.

Yep, take look on the '03 Opel Vectra in the Game, it's RHD.
Don't forget Australia, launched this month.

Last edited:
400k on the clock? Nice! Barely broken in then haha! Some bloke in the UK has just clocked up a million miles on his ford mondeo. Just goes to show that with the right attitude these things can go for what seems forever!

to compare:
VW up!
VW_Up_rear_left_view.jpg

Opel Adam
opel-adam-000.jpg

I know wich I would choose. (Edit: to buy for my wife! :)

VW Up! is ugly as sin, but if I had to buy a small car like this, i would go with the Audi A1. But small cars like these are not my taste.

Opel in GT5 or later in GT6 should have:
Rekord (especially 1900)
Olympia
Admiral
Kapitän
Kadett
Manta
Senator
Diplomat
Corsa A
Calibra
GT
Omega
Insignia
2011 Astra
Ampera

I dont care for most other Opel cars. Most of their cars from the end of the 90s were crap, one of the reasons why they struggle right now. They ruined their reputation. Though the Insignia and the new Astra are good cars, they still have to do alot more to get back their reputation.

VW Up! is ugly as sin, but if I had to buy a small car like this, i would go with the Audi A1. But small cars like these are not my taste.

Opel in GT5 or later in GT6 should have:
Rekord (especially 1900)
Olympia
Admiral
Kapitän
Kadett
Manta
Senator
Diplomat
Corsa A
Calibra
GT
Omega
Insignia
2011 Astra
Ampera

I dont care for most other Opel cars. Most of their cars from the end of the 90s were crap, one of the reasons why they struggle right now. They ruined their reputation. Though the Insignia and the new Astra are good cars, they still have to do alot more to get back their reputation.

A1? I laughed at a friend over buying this. She wanted it basically because of the good 'image'. Problem is if your trying to stay within a certain budget but get blinded by the oh so good reputation, you'll either end up overtopping your budget painfully or, as it happened to my friend, with a car that is equipped with the basics. Now she wishes to have A/C automatic, Cruise control etc. Well, should have spent another 3k on it.
A1 equipped properly goes up to the 20k plus range (Euro)
Insane for a car that small imo.

I would drive an Ampera to go to work, but unless I win it in a game show its not going to happen. Because I'm not going to spend that much on a car that slow.

Our governments should drop the price on gas or autom industry drop the price on small cars and electric/hybrids.

Like yesterday!!! :grumpy:

Back