Should there be a mode in GT which allows full access the all the cars immediately?

• Thread starter phantomzm
  • 165 comments

Should there be an mode in GT which allows full access the all the cars immediately?

• Total voters
So you have a job and no spare time and you got no time to play the game anyway.
You're right, the game should never adapt to it's changing demographic and should always do the exact same thing it's always done. That way when we fire up each never version of the game it can feel exactly the same as every other time we fired up the game and we can experience the exact same excitement by doing the exact same thing over and over. That's how we do things in the rest of our lives right?

Who said anything about GT mode??

The title of the thread is:
Should there be a mode in GT which allows full access to all the cars immediately?

In Forza there is a mode specifically for casual races, outside of career mode (or whatever it is called) and you can try ANY car in the game.
It's supposed to be the famous arcade mode. In Gran Turismo we have it...but with only a few cars. I want to be able to try them all in split screen with a friend or against the AI.

THEN if I like one in particular I buy it in GT mode.
I forgot to put this my post sorry, and all other modes as well and that is my opinion on this.

You're right, the game should never adapt to it's changing demographic and should always do the exact same thing it's always done. That way when we fire up each never version of the game it can feel exactly the same as every other time we fired up the game and we can experience the exact same excitement by doing the exact same thing over and over. That's how we do things in the rest of our lives right?
When The Stig Farmer said When you have a job and no spare time and why buy the game in the first place.

I forgot to put this my post sorry, and all other modes as well and that is my opinion on this.
I wonder if there is any actual reasoning behind this opinion or if it is just a "it's my opinion so it can't be wrong" response.

When The Stig Farmer said When you have a job and no spare time and why buy the game in the first place.
PD are lucky that anyone buys GT games at all anymore with the amount of reasons people give to not buy them.

If everyone in the world fit into two neat categories you'd be right. Either they have a job and no spare time at all in which case they wouldn't own a console, let alone the game, or, you have all the time in the world to grind away to your heart's content with the classic GT game mode.

Since there are many more than 2 neat categories to slot everyone into, your comment is irrelevant.

Last edited:
What are you talking about Tornado, I am talking about someone who has a job and no spare time to play the game and you come up with a comment like this PD are lucky that anyone buys GT games at all anymore with the amount of reasons people give to not buy them. what this got to do with someone who has a job and no spare time to play the game ?.

What are you talking about Tornado, I am talking about someone who has a job and no spare time to play the game and you come up with a comment like this PD are lucky that anyone buys GT games at all anymore with the amount of reasons people give to not buy them. what this got to do with someone who has a job and no spare time to play the game ?.
With how frequently you've ignored everyone who has questioned your assertions of things like "I know what's fun for you more than you do" it's clear you aren't actually reading their posts, but it shouldn't be too much to ask that you read your own:

So how about that reasoning I queried about above?

So you have a job and no spare time and you got no time to play the game anyway.

In my case. Yes.

I have the time to play quick pick-up games. If I have to boot up the PS3 and TV, I can maybe get two or three hours a week on the weekends if I really want it, when I'm not out driving, shooting, writing, or watching the baby. (time on GTPlanet is spent there while in the middle of writing... distracting yourself helps you around writer's block)

The way things were in GT3, with an extensive Arcade mode that allowed you to play quick races and to unlock content in Arcade mode... that was great.

Few people would object to being made to finish a race event to have access to a car.

The problem comes when your Arcade mode is extremely limited, as it is now... if you want to drive something interesting, instead of participating in a skill challenge to gain access to it, you have to waste those precious two or three hours a weekend you have to dedicate to racing to grinding.

grinding.is.not.fun.

-

Either way... the only time I've played GT6, after the disappointment with the grinding in GT5, was at work, for a time attack challenge. Reminded me how much I miss the game. I can accept not being able to achieve 100% completion. But not even being able to get a foot in the door due to the ridiculous cost structure (honestly, how many cars actually cost more than two to three million in real life? :lol:), that's just painful.

Like all the other users above, I'm still confused. You didn't explain why you don't want and arcade mode, outside of career mode, to try all the cars in a casual race with friends at home and vs the AI.
What difference does it make to you if other people have fun...and most of all WHY you don't want to try in another mode cars you don'y have/you can't afford in career mode (or GT mode)

When I read your posts this is the person I imagine on the other side

No fun allowed
images

Last edited:
Like all the other users above, I'm still confused and you didn't explain why you don't want and arcade mode, outside of career mode, to try all the cars in a casual race with friends at home and vs the AI.
What difference does it make to you if other people have fun...and most of all WHY you don't want to try in another mode cars you don'y have/you can't afford in career mode (or GT mode)

When I read your post this is the person I imagine on the other side

No fun allowed
images
I have never said this,you don't want and arcade mode. All I am saying there should not be and option to have all the cars immediately in a game.

Last edited:
I have never said this,you don't want and arcade mode. All I am saying there should not be and option to have all the cars immediately in a game.
We already have the arcade mode. But you still didn't explain why you don't want all cars available in it
...as "courtesy cars" for a casual race

:odd:

EDIT: I'm repeating exactly what other users wrote just before me, because we all think the same

We already have the arcade mode. But you still didn't explain why you don't want all cars available in it
...as "courtesy cars" for a casual race

:odd:

EDIT: I'm repeating exactly what other users wrote just before me, because we all think the same
This is the question I (and many others) have asked many times. How is YOUR game affected, if I get to use all the cars right away? And no one ever answers it and probably never will.

Remember this is the same person who said they didn't want active race telemetry because it was in Forza. :odd:

I have never said this,you don't want and arcade mode.
I understand that there is a language barrier, but you were the one who specifically brought up arcade mode:
In GT5 and this true I did not use any cars in the arcade mode.
They wouldn't have to implement the idea into arcade mode. They could leave arcade mode as the stripped down, completely useless "mode" that it has been since GT4 if they really wanted; and then make it even more pointless by introducing a third mode that does allow all that player freedom. If that would make the "purists" happy even though it is a completely superficial change, so be it.

All I am saying there should not be and option to have all the cars immediately in a game.
We got that much when you said it the first 3 times. Everyone is waiting for the "why" part. Let's go back to your original Orwellian description of "fun":
You should always in Gran Turismo start of with 20,000 credits then buy a car to win races and build up your credits and buy some cars as you go along and it makes the game fun to do that.
I've been there. I've done that. I've got the T-shirt. 5 times in fact, not counting the several times I restarted GT2. I don't even have any problem with the GT formula as some others do; since I recognize that PD could make a truly outstanding GT game that would blow even GT4 away in single player with the exponentially higher potential the series has now. They could double the GT4 event list and not have a single repeat with all of the cars and weather change tracks and time change tracks. We could have the Thousand Miles series from GT4 that takes place in the rain at night and really makes you struggle with those 1960s road cars. We could have point to point rally races with the structure that's close enough to real rallying that you wouldn't care for the differences. 16 car fields with multi-classes at Le Mans with damage and fuel use. PD could make that game, and make it easily with a single player so fantastic that you never feel the need to play another racing game again until the next GT game drops. That game would be incredibly fun, and while I would still understand if people wanted an open GT game and support them, I wouldn't really care about it. I would have traded every bit of new content GT6 had, even the stuff that wasn't worthless gimmicky crap, to have that GT4 creativity put into a game with the options of GT5.

What I have a problem with are terrible, lazily constructed versions of the GT formula. It's not fun having to do races over and over and over again because the in game economy is still broken after all of the huge price increases the average cars got for GT5 and payout decreases that are both still in effect for GT6; except now you can't even give Bob an X1 and let him build up money himself. It's not fun seeing the thousand cars and 60 some odd tracks on the game box and half of the races pit you against the same terribly chosen AI pool on the same handful of tracks. It's not fun being forced to do a basic aptitude test after you've already done far beyond enough races to prove it is unnecessary. It's not fun being stripped of nearly all choice in how you proceed through the game because PD have decided that they know the proper way of player progression (and it starts at the Honda Dealership with the 2013 Fit!). It's not fun having to deal with crap like this when you actually start the game:

It's not fun essentially being on a time trial with rolling obstacles like this was an OutRun knockoff because starting you 30 seconds behind the leader is the only thing PD could come up with to make you think you're being challenged. It's not fun having to chop down your car so much that it's two tire grades and two hundred horsepower on the car in the front, and even then obviously be able to tell that the front opponent is driving ten seconds a lap slower than he could so you'll catch up. It's not fun saying you have all of these problems with the Single Player and then be told that multiplayer is what you should be playing as a response. It's not fun not even being allowed online to play against real opponents until you've progressed an arbitrary amount into the game, perhaps the most absurd and out of touch creative decision PD has ever made in the series. It's not fun that even when you do pass the stupid standard that deems you capable of playing online, you will be completely outmatched unless you were lucky enough to choose the car that that is competitive online because of how poor the PP system can be. It's not fun being forced to abandon online play anyway to build up money, because the payouts are completely pathetic and the only way to make real money is grinding a handful of Single Player races. It's definitely not fun when I take into account that the above takes up what little time I have to play games.

I mean, this looks like fun:

But that looks like a bit of an extreme solution to giving the game the enjoyable challenge the series had until PD started screwing around with that precious GT Mode on the PS3. Perhaps you can tell me where the fun starts in any of the above. Or give me the money I paid for GT6 (less the money I got when I sold it), so then you can at least have a basis to say that I was playing it wrong all this time or somesuch nonsense.
Maybe then you will even be in a position to actually explain why giving me the option to just shortcut all that so I can drive the cars I want to drive in the context I want to drive them is something that cannot be allowed even though it wouldn't affect you in the slightest. In the meantime, however, my only option is to play a significantly inferior version of a game I already played halfa dozen times in the past with the pipe dream that PD actually does something substantial to improve it.

Last edited:
All I am saying there should not be and option to have all the cars immediately in a game.
Would you care to explain why having all cars available from the start in arcade mode is a bad thing? How is that going to affect your enjoyment of the game?

Cars such as Peugeot 908 LMP, HSV Super GT, BRZ Super GT, GT-R GT3, SLS GT3, are all available from the start in arcade mode, I don't see how having other LMPs, Super GTs, & GT3s available from the start in arcade mode would be a problem.

Games should have options that will make them fun to as many people as possible. Locking up the game and forcing everybody to play in a specific way is simply bad game design.

Now you're just trying to change the subject. Badly.
No
FS7
Would you care to explain why having all cars available from the start in arcade mode is a bad thing? How is that going to affect your enjoyment of the game?

Cars such as Peugeot 908 LMP, HSV Super GT, BRZ Super GT, GT-R GT3, SLS GT3, are all available from the start in arcade mode, I don't see how having other LMPs, Super GTs, & GT3s available from the start in arcade mode would be a problem.

Games should have options that will make them fun to as many people as possible. Locking up the game and forcing everybody to play in a specific way is simply bad game design.
To have all the cars available at the start is :crazy: and to your second question it will not have any effect on your enjoyment of the game.

To have all the cars available at the start is :crazy: and to your second question it will not have any effect on your enjoyment of the game.
You still didn't give a proper answer to the first question.
For the second question, it may not affect your enjoyment of the game but it will make the game a lot more fun for me and other people.

Yes. I quoted where you brought the specific subject up; and fobbing me quoting you off as if you still never said it while ignoring the entire rest of my post is just you trying to change the subject.

To have all the cars available at the start is :crazy:
That's not an answer to the question. That's just you repeating yourself.

Answer the question.

and to your second question it will not have any effect on your enjoyment of the game.
That doesn't answer his second question, either. In case you haven't understood the fundamental problem with your argument here, you don't get to dictate to others how they find enjoyment in the game. You definitely do not get to do so when you purposely refuse to answer people when they ask you why you think you can.

Last edited:
Do you even bother trying to take in what others are saying?
I fully understand what others are saying, if you want enjoyment in the game it is in the career mode ok there is a little bit of fun in the arcade mode but having all the cars immediately it does not seem right. Having a selection is a better idea and it does not seem right to have 1200 cars available immediately at the start in the arcade mode it just makes no sense to have then all. And if someone wants their favourite car and if it is not in the arcade mode well buy in the dealership then make the car as your favourite and then go to the arcade mode go to favourites list and the car is in the arcade mode and then you can use the car. I also understand why players want all the cars immediately to use in the arcade mode so they do not have to buy them which is a shame really.

I fully understand what others are saying, if you want enjoyment in the game it is in the career mode ok there is a little bit of fun in the arcade mode but having all the cars immediately it does not seem right. Having a selection is a better idea and it does not seem right to have 1200 cars available immediately at the start in the arcade mode it just makes no sense to have then all. And if someone wants their favourite car and if it is not in the arcade mode well buy in the dealership then make the car as your favourite and then go to the arcade mode go to favourites list and the car is in the arcade mode and then you can use the car. I also understand why players want all the cars immediately to use in the arcade mode so they do not have to buy them which is a shame really.
I didn't agree with your position..but after reading "it does not seem right"...well you've convinced me now. :lol:

Back