Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,319 comments
Finally became a grownup and bought a house.

should be finalising the contract in the next month or so.

House.JPG

My Seagate Backup Plus 8TB drive failed yesterday, so I replaced it with a WD My Book 8TB.

A9281557.jpg

36-121-119-07.jpg

Logitech X-230, bought a used set for $5 at my university.

I had some Logitech X-530 over 10 years ago.
Not a bad 5.1 sound system for the $80 I paid when new.

My Seagate Backup Plus 8TB drive failed yesterday, so I replaced it with a WD My Book 8TB.

Been thinking about getting the Duo version of that drive. Does it feel/function like a quality product? Prebuilt WD externals I have experienced in the past haven't seemed that great.

Been thinking about getting the Duo version of that drive. Does it feel/function like a quality product? Prebuilt WD externals I have experienced in the past haven't seemed that great.

I haven't had any real issues with any WD product.
I have some old 500GB HDDs from my 2nd PC some where and they still function.

One of my HDDs has had a run time of 1,284 days and 7hours and it is still running fine.
If this drive counted data written it would be well over 100TB as I used this drive for FRAPS back in the day, as well as scratch space for my bluray rips.

If you can always get a NAS bay and install some WD Red Drives.

@Grayfox in terms of the WD hard drives themselves, yes I totally agree, I have used many without problems it's just their prebuilt caddies that I haven't been to confident on.

But they do offer a nice amount of connectivity and simplicity plus look rather nice to but the build quality I haven't found in the past all that great imo.

Basically I'm looking for a simple 2 drive RAID setup and the options are either buy a prebuilt from 'the big two' or buy a aftermarket empty caddy and supply the drives.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/40875/synology-diskstation-ds218play-2-bay-nas
@Grayfox in terms of the WD hard drives themselves, yes I totally agree, I have used many without problems it's just their prebuilt caddies that I haven't been to confident on.

But they do offer a nice amount of connectivity and simplicity plus look rather nice to but the build quality I haven't found in the past all that great imo.

Basically I'm looking for a simple 2 drive RAID setup and the options are either buy a prebuilt from 'the big two' or buy a aftermarket empty caddy and supply the drives.

I have used My Passports and My Books in the past and never had any real issues apart from sector damage which can happen with any drive.

I would avoid getting any new Passport and maybe the 2.5" Elements as they have a custom drive controller board which means it has a higher chance of dying and then you lose your data.
As the most likely thing to die is the USB port or the controller and since the drive is no longer a standard SATA based drive with a daughter board that converts SATA to USB any issue means data loss.
passport-2tb-inside2.jpg

But something like this and 2 WD Reds would be good, I have a smilar set up by mine is not a NAS unit and is a 4 bay with 4x4TB drives in it in a RAID 5 set up.
I take it you are aware that with a 2 bay NAS unit your only raid options are RAID 0(Stripe), RAID 1(Mirror), JBOD
1511194039-DS218play-th.jpg

@Grayfox thanks for the info, it's certainly worrying if they are starting to use non standard hard drives with proprietary connectors or control boards. Ideally you would want to pull the drive if anything were to go wrong with the caddy.

I take it you are aware that with a 2 bay NAS unit your only raid options are RAID 0(Stripe), RAID 1(Mirror), JBOD

Yes I want to run a 2 bay in RAID 1 just to have some redundancy.

@Grayfox thanks for the info, it's certainly worrying if they are starting to use non standard hard drives with proprietary connectors or control boards. Ideally you would want to pull the drive if anything were to go wrong with the caddy.

I agree.
When I worked at a PC store we did back ups of customers hard drives before we had to send them off for warranty and those WD drives were annoying as hell
Integrating the USB controller board is crazy.

TB
The chairs at the island in our kitchen are starting to fall apart so we found some new ones.

312Gn6-aXgL._SY400_.jpg

I'm not sure why but a single chair is $63.38 but a 2-pack of chairs is $67.99. :odd: We bought two 2-packs even though we only need 3 chairs.

Apart from ours being black they look pretty much identical to what we have.

Back