Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,347 comments
Can't show the actual purchase as they haven't been delivered yet. However just bought tickets to see Kamasi Washington.

IMG_7439.JPG

Not my photo

New (to me) camera. Pleasantly surprised so far.

5TRcErqh.jpg
I guess the case made it look old, but I thought that was an SLR film camera. But then there was no prism tower for the view finder. I had to google it.

I would love to see a picture of the back. Is the view finder just an lcd dislplay?

New (to me) camera. Pleasantly surprised so far.

5TRcErqh.jpg

As you know I use the same. Such a cracking mirrorless. Certainly has that Fuji look on the output. Also the JPGs are spot on too for that quick edit and display leaving the RAW files for more critical editing.

It's also a pleasure to use too.

I guess the case made it look old, but I thought that was an SLR film camera. But then there was no prism tower for the view finder. I had to google it.

I would love to see a picture of the back. Is the view finder just an lcd dislplay?

Yup. There is a screen and then the electronic viewfinder. Several cameras have implemented these, such as the Sony A7 that I also own. There are a lot of reviews for the Fuji X-E1, including some with video for how the EVF looks if you're curious.

As you know I use the same. Such a cracking mirrorless. Certainly has that Fuji look on the output. Also the JPGs are spot on too for that quick edit and display leaving the RAW files for more critical editing.

It's also a pleasure to use too.

I actually wasn't aware you had an X-E1, but now that I am, any tips or tricks I should know? Can I map ISO to the command wheel? Any LR tricks for the files?

Based on the reviews, I was expecting the AF to be maybe a touch better than the EOS M I had - usable if I wasn't in a rush. In reality the AF is much faster than I expected and hasn't really let me down yet. Of course, I've been shooting manual focus on the a7 for nearly two years so not a great comparison for speed. The EVF isn't bad but certainly showing its age compared to the Sony. The kit lens is nicer feeling than some L lenses I've worked with.

The files are pretty fantastic though feel a touch soft when I bring them into Lightroom. The dynamic range is lovely and I like the colors, just need to get a handle on applying my current style to them.

Yup. There is a screen and then the electronic viewfinder. Several cameras have implemented these, such as the Sony A7 that I also own. There are a lot of reviews for the Fuji X-E1, including some with video for how the EVF looks if you're curious.

I actually wasn't aware you had an X-E1, but now that I am, any tips or tricks I should know? Can I map ISO to the command wheel? Any LR tricks for the files?

Based on the reviews, I was expecting the AF to be maybe a touch better than the EOS M I had - usable if I wasn't in a rush. In reality the AF is much faster than I expected and hasn't really let me down yet. Of course, I've been shooting manual focus on the a7 for nearly two years so not a great comparison for speed. The EVF isn't bad but certainly showing its age compared to the Sony. The kit lens is nicer feeling than some L lenses I've worked with.

The files are pretty fantastic though feel a touch soft when I bring them into Lightroom. The dynamic range is lovely and I like the colors, just need to get a handle on applying my current style to them.

As for the ISO on the jog wheel I'm not sure. It's certainly old tech in a sector which is moving fast. More modern cameras will blow it out of the water. I only own the Kit lens in the Fuji range but I shoot manual with adapters and old lenses most of the time so AF speed doesn't come into play for me.

I do have my camera set with multiple presets so one push of the FN button and I can select multiple settings. Most of mine are wide dynamic range so look really washed out at first, but once processed they do look great.

I can't get my camera at the moment as I'm away from Home and don't have it will me, however I used these settings as a basis for my own.

upload_2017-3-2_14-2-35.png upload_2017-3-2_14-4-10.png upload_2017-3-2_14-4-30.png

My original Geller shirt got damaged years ago, finally tracked down a replacement. Calligraphy set was for the fairer half. Aluminium mouse pad was long overdue, and actually fits our tiny desk.

I've never needed one of these before but The Nouglear Missle is driving me crazy with the biting and barking. She is without a doubt the most stubborn dog I've ever seen.

71pz3BYCo0L._SL1000_.jpg

Fingers crossed the $40 pricetag saves my sanity and her butt.

TB
She is without a doubt the most stubborn dog I've ever seen.

Haha, Bronx (my sister's bulldog) is the same. If he doesn't want to do something it's not happening. So funny to see him drop if he doesn't want to walk, he's also one of the most affectionate dogs I've come across when he wants to be.

Sister got a video of him the other day. They had to lock him in the car for a few minutes as they ducked into a shop. Come back to a commotion of a few people laughing at the car and him sitting there paw on horn with that grin only a bulldog can have. :lol:

That sounds exactly like a bulldog. :lol:

I put the collar on Nougat and set it for the "sound" option first. Didn't even get her attention.

Switched over to "vibrate" on level 10 (out of 100). She twitched but didn't stop biting.

Kicked it over to "static shock" on level 1 (again out of 100) and it didn't phase her. Level 4 made her jump up and run across the living room freaked out. I have since dropped it down to 3 but haven't needed to use it. She's acting completely different already and is currently sleeping after not barking at me even once. If that's the only time I ever need to zap her, it was absolutely worth the price.

Recent tally of wallet damages;
IMG_20170303_170312984.jpg

IMG_20170303_170401635.jpg

IMG_20170303_170407026.jpg

If you can't see them properly because of my potato phone camera, the CD's are;

In Utero - Nirvana
Melon Collie & the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
Clear - Periphery
The Lost Children - Disturbed

By 'wallet damages' I really only mean the first picture, paid $20 for all 4 CDs at my local record shop. I love that place.

I forgot to move creepy moff tarkin out of the shot...

Last edited:
Went to the junkyard today. Initially started off as a trip to find @Arixant the JDM EG climate control and amber bulbs, until I stumbled upon rare a rare EK Gathers headunit and Honda Access mats. Ended the day with some corner lights also for Arixant.

IMG_20170304_174040.jpg
IMG_20170304_174110.jpg
IMG_20170304_174150.jpg
IMG_20170304_174215.jpg

Finally got a new phone! An LG V20; here it is compared to my old one:
_DSC2013.jpg

Quad DAC setup is pretty great, and the screen is pretty fantastic (Though it has a slightly cool tint, but it's much less egregious than the strong yellow tint my old one had). Also bought a 200gb MicroSD so I can have most of my music library in FLAC form instead of MP3.

Canon-EF-S-24mm-f-2.8-STM-Lens.jpg

91iXKmLrI0L._SL1500_.jpg

I'm far too lazy to take a mirror selfie or some other BS, so here goes:
I've spent a couple weeks with my two latest toys. The Canon 24mm f/2.8 lens and a Sony AS50 action cam.
I've done a night time photo 'sesh with the lens, and a daytime. For the price i paid, I'm borderline astonished. I love this lens. It's a huge step up for the regular kit lens and it's given me the chance to take pictures i simply couldn't attempt with the 18-55 (let alone the 75-300). I used my steady hands advantage to take some pretty nice night time pictures at 1/20 of a second. Now that I realize the potential of high aperture lens, maybe i'll go after the 50mm f/1.4. I was hesitant at first but now after using this, I'm a full believer. I'm stuck on the budget end of things, though.

The AS-50 is cool. It's like a gopro with image stabilization for a lower price. It's like wanting a Ferrari but going with an Alfa 4C with a turbo because it makes more sense for you. I haven't played with it a whole lot, but it does its job well. The live-streaming to your phone is cool, initially it is incredibly smooth but actually playing video back through it is very choppy. Battery life seems very solid, which is a big plus. The waterproof case works better than imagined. I still have a little getting-used-to, but the colors could be a bit better- don't get me wrong, they're certainly on par with a gopro, but I haven't been able to achieve the same colors as I've seen on youtube vids reviewing or showcasing this camera. I'm starting to think I should have gone with the AV1 instead, but I regret nothing.
lowkey self promotion for my photography page, Harrytography on IG and FB. Appreciate it

Back