Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,352 comments
They made other songs? Are they as mediocre as the one quoted?
Come on... Even if basic and immature, Dookie is such a cool album, from start to finish. Funny, too!

Frankly, I wish my daughter would have access to such music now, while growing up, instead of the **** that passes as "music" nowadays.

20240419_130138.jpg

20240419_134040.jpg

Come on... Even if basic and immature, Dookie is such a cool album, from start to finish. Funny, too!

Frankly, I wish my daughter would have access to such music now, while growing up, instead of the **** that passes as "music" nowadays.
Ain’t gonna argue that.

Modern music lacks everything that made music enjoyable 20+ years ago.

Still, I’d rather listen to Nickelback than Green Day.

Ain’t gonna argue that.
I am. I've heard this over and over for the past 60 years. Every generation thinks they're the only ones that truly understand what real music is. When you were listening to your favorite bands back in the day, your parents were saying exactly what you're saying now. And when they were teens, their parents were saying the same thing. And don't @ me with your examples of how modern music is inherently inferior to what you were listening to as a teenager. The truth is, amazing music is being made all the time, including right now.

Sorry if I'm coming on strong, but I love music. If I ever say "They don't make great music like when I was young" that just means my tastes calcified and I stopped listening to anything new. I don't ever want to become that person.

I’m pretty sure my parents would agree with me, since most of what I consider to be good music is from 40-50 years ago.
My favourite album is from ‘84, before I was born.

I am. I've heard this over and over for the past 60 years. Every generation thinks they're the only ones that truly understand what real music is. When you were listening to your favorite bands back in the day, your parents were saying exactly what you're saying now. And when they were teens, their parents were saying the same thing. And don't @ me with your examples of how modern music is inherently inferior to what you were listening to as a teenager. The truth is, amazing music is being made all the time, including right now.

Sorry if I'm coming on strong, but I love music. If I ever say "They don't make great music like when I was young" that just means my tastes calcified and I stopped listening to anything new. I don't ever want to become that person.
I think part of the problem is that when we think back to the music we grew up with, we only remember the good music. There's always been absolute garbage made, but we don't remember it because why would you? And on the off chance you do hear trash music from the time you grew up, you're going to think more favorably of it since it reminds you of not being an old bastard.

If you read my post again you'll see that's not what I said. I was actually careful about that.

I understand that there is good music now; as good or even better than there ever was.

However, the music kids are most commonly exposed to nowadays is vastly inferior. Most of it thrash. And, I'm sorry, but that's not how it used to be. And I truly believe this ends up shaping their taste and/or not developing their interest in music.

That's my view of things, anyway, based on the experience of being around my kid and her friends (and also taking a look at whatever's at the top charts any given moment).

So I picked up the UHD of Logan Lucky for a whole £6. I’ve never seen the film so I’m not 100% if any good.

And my wife being super ace picked up a copy of The Irishman for me. I just wish Netflix would allow a 4K release version.

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

Now I’ll chip in on the music over the ages debate.

@Populuxe is spot on with how each generation perceives its taste in music being superior to the next.

Thankfully I had parents who were massive music lovers and adjusted their taste over the years.

So I grew up listening to bands like Rush, Sex Pistols, T-Rex, Motley Crew, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Jean Micheal Jarre, Leftfield, Mike Oldfield, The Prodigy, Sash… I could go on and on.

I think it’s important for parent to expose thier children to all sorts of Music, Film, Books and Art. They may eventually find their own way to things we consider garbage, but they’ll have appreciation for older stuff.

I’m into Gaming because of my Dad who was programming on the ZX Spectrum while I was young. He also got me my first Manga VHS (Crying Freeman) when I was 11 years old (bless he really didn’t know what he’d bought me :lol:)

Last edited:
Due to my current little endeavor of listening to the 1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (which is updated to 1,089 because why not?), I feel like I have to chime in here, too.

My parents listened to 50's to 80's country and 50's and 60's oldies. Which meant that that's what I grew up listening to. When I finally got my own vehicle and got into home theater gear, that's when my world of music really started to open up. Keep in mind that would have been in the mid 90's so the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. are always going to be near and dear. But I also love a Celtic CD I picked up forever ago. My musical tastes are all over the place now.

I've currently checked off 668 of the 1,089 albums list and while there are some albums/artists I truly don't want to ever hear again, there are an equal number of surprises that have popped up along the way. And a MASSIVE majority are pretty generic, all regardless of generation. Like I-need-to-look-up-why-I'm-listening-to-this-particular-album-because-there's-nothing-significant-that-jumps-out-as-to-why-it's-on-the-list generic. Even then, it's usually something fairly mundane - most recently it was The Sugarcubes. A quick search revealed that the lead singer was Bjork before she was just Bjork. Meh.

Conversely, on my own I would have NEVER come across the fact that Rage Against the Machine covered Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force's Renegades of Funk. Facts like that are what's kept me going.

TL;DR - there's good, bad and mediocre music in every genre and every generation. Listen to what you like.

- - - - -

@Sprite - It's been a while but I seem to remember Logan Lucky being a pretty decent heist flick. It shouldn't be the worst thing you've ever watched. :lol:

TB
Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden
Lol this is the bulk of my playlists. The first music I found myself without parent introduction (thanks, MTV).

Back when, musicians had to be good to get aired or press records. Now anyone with an iPad can release a track to the world.

One of the main reasons most new music isn't main stream is when I listen to a radio station they play only classic rock from the 60's - 80's (which I like) they don't play anything "NEW" because they talk about bands should get more for their music but radio stations only play music they don't have to pay for. My local radio station did play 2 new releases last year but only for a short time.

It’s ok to love the music you liked as a teenager, but hating everything made since is building your own prison.

The reality is that Pop music has always been a bit hit & miss. Even with the benefit of nostalgia, I still don’t like LMFAO, Pitbull or Carly Rae Jepsen who were popular when I was a teenager.

Turn off the radio and make a real effort to explore new music in your preferred genre. You will very quickly realise that the kids are still making bangers. I would also argue that good new music is more accessible and easy to find than it’s ever been.

Onto the recent purchase…

My old $150 coffee machine served me daily for around 5 years but was giving up the ghost. It only worked with one specific brand of ground coffee, leaked all over the bench daily and every body else hated the taste of it. Reluctantly, it was time to step up. Enter the De’Longhi Magnifica.
image0.jpeg

I’m a cappuccino guy, so I do need to froth my own milk, but apart from that this bad boy does the lot. Beans go in, coffee comes out. I’m no longer tied to one brand of (not the best) coffee and my visitors & wife should be able to stomach it too.

We went to one of those fancy roaster places for some beans and had the first cup this arvo. It was exceptional. A big investment, but if it lasts as long as “ol’ faithful” it will be money well spent.

Last edited:
original11.jpg

New Acer Nitro 5 - 15"6, Ryzen 5800H, RTX 3070 laptop, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD = 900$. Bargain.

Cons:
  • Horrible BIOS that refuses to eat my Win10 license flashdrive(legacy/UEFI problem), thx God I have spare 16Gig flash
  • Tricky charging port, thought my was broken
  • Custom drivers without ability to upgrade via Nvidia site

New Comic Book Wednesday
IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4147.jpeg

I strongly recommend Batman: Dark Age by Mark Russell, Michael Allred, and Laura Allred. It’s also got one of the better “Is it a bird? Is it a plane?” gags in recent memory. Two soldiers in Vietnam wait for Superman to fly in and end the war any second. The soldiers are Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen.
IMG_4182.png

Last edited:
I bought 15 lbs of Calrose and one of these:

805a5d20-7990-11ec-bced-3e1baea8896f

Getting serious about doing gluten free for a while. I was allergy tested several years ago and was told that I had a gluten allergy, but I thought it was BS. One of my friends has celiac though, so whenever I've made stuff or eaten with her I notice that I'm not all bloated and gross-feeling. Maybe there's something to it.

Getting serious about doing gluten free for a while. I was allergy tested several years ago and was told that I had a gluten allergy, but I thought it was BS. One of my friends has celiac though, so whenever I've made stuff or eaten with her I notice that I'm not all bloated and gross-feeling. Maybe there's something to it.
My roommate has celiac and it’s a whole thing. If I make a sandwich in the kitchen, I have to clean the counter with Lysol wipes just so he doesn’t have a bad reaction next time he uses that counter.

Would love to know how you get on with it. I’d love to pick up a Zojirush Cooker but never pulled the trigger. I’m a sucker for plain rice with a side of Mirin to add a dash now and then.

Would love to know how you get on with it. I’d love to pick up a Zojirush Cooker but never pulled the trigger. I’m a sucker for plain rice with a side of Mirin to add a dash now and then.
Well, I made a pot of rice on the stove and had a hell of a time keeping the water from boiling over even though I reduced heat to the lowest. My stove doesn't modulate intensity very well. I think it goes either on or off and there's no potentiation happening there.

The cooker made perfect rice and took like 50 minutes. Things I don't like: it won't tell you when it'll be done until the fuzzy logic calculates it after the liquid evaporates.

But otherwise it gives me such a strong Y2K Japanese lost decade/capsule corp vibe that I just adore it. The little song it makes and the product design is so cute and makes me happy.

20240423_141719.jpg

Gone full geek for my forthcoming trip to the Nurb, and bought myself a "I'm not a tourist, honest" cap.

As far as merch goes, however, that's probably it, but I do really want a 1:18 scale model of either Grello, a ROWE oe WRT BMW, or ideally an AF Corse 296 GT3, though 1:43 scale would probably do.

-

20240422_125835.jpg

Finally got this on Blu-ray, albeit a German version on Amazon. Annoyingly, it is only available behind a premium subscription service like Amazon Prime, so I was glad to find it in old-school media.

As a huge fan of Python, I was quite reluctant to watch this when it was on TV, and was expecting the worst in terms of how the actors portrayed each member of the team, but I was very pleasantly surprised - everyone does an amazing job, but Darren Boyd as John Cleese is masterful. Steve Punt as Eric Idle was a no-brainer and he nails it, as does Rufus Jones as his namesake Terry.

Anyone who knows their Python history should love this, and there's some very funny moments and clever references that only Python fans are likely to get - the fact that Rufus Jones also plays Michael Palin's wife (as a man clearly in drag and with the same accent as Terry Jones) is a hilarious nod to the fact that Palin and Jones were a 'couple' (writing) in Python, while Chapman and Cleese were the other 'team', with Idle and Gilliam working solo.

Given how much I expected not to like this, I now consider it part of my 'Python' collection and it's great to finally have it to watch at any time.

Last edited:
The cooker made perfect rice and took like 50 minutes.
Holy crap. Ours cooks rice in about 20 minutes. Do yours have to grow it first?
Stresless recliner - size L. The bill is paid, so it's technically mine. But it takes three months till I get it, because I wanted a frame out of black wood, black metal for the mechanism and red leather. It will look like this once it arrives:

View attachment 1350445
Looks very similar to a chair my wife bought from Costco. It's quite comfortable.

TB
Holy crap. Ours cooks rice in about 20 minutes. Do yours have to grow it first?

Looks very similar to a chair my wife bought from Costco. It's quite comfortable.
Does yours come out Neuro Fuzzy though? It's a full pot and gives it time to soak first. There's also a quick mode that just gits-r-done if you're rushed. But, yo, perfectly floofy calrose and koshihikari? I'm here for it.

View attachment 1350426

Gone full geek for my forthcoming trip to the Nurb, and bought myself a "I'm not a tourist, honest" cap.

As far as merch goes, however, that's probably it, but I do really want a 1:18 scale model of either Grello, a ROWE oe WRT BMW, or ideally an AF Corse 296 GT3, though 1:43 scale would probably do.

-

View attachment 1350427

Finally got this on Blu-ray, albeit a German version on Amazon. Annoyingly, it is only available behind a premium subscription service like Amazon Prime, so I was glad to find it in old-school media.

As a huge fan of Python, I was quite reluctant to watch this when it was on TV, and was expecting the worst in terms of how the actors portrayed each member of the team, but I was very pleasantly surprised - everyone does an amazing job, but Darren Boyd as John Cleese is masterful. Steve Punt as Eric Idle was a no-brainer and he nails it, as does Rufus Jones as his namesake Terry.

Anyone who knows their Python history should love this, and there's some very funny moments and clever references that only Python fans are likely to get - the fact that Rufus Jones also plays Michael Palin's wife (as a man clearly in drag and with the same accent as Terry Jones) is a hilarious nod to the fact that Palin and Jones were a 'couple' (writing) in Python, while Chapman and Cleese were the other 'team', with Idle and Gilliam working solo.

Given how much I expected not to like this, I now consider it part of my 'Python' collection and it's great to finally have it to watch at any time.

Dam, it’s a shame I didn’t know. I’m sure I’ve got a DVD boxset limited edition version knocking about in a box somewhere. I’d have been more than happy to send on.

Edit,

Just seen it’s not the OG Flying Circus.

@Omnis

I’m really going to have to bite the bullet and buy one.

Last edited:
I bought this shirt online from some place called Royaura. I hadn't heard of them before, but I liked the shirt, so I bought it. Then I did a little research, and I may have wasted my money. The reviews of the website sound very scammy.
View attachment 1347015
It arrived last night. It's thin polyester. It's more plastic than cloth. But for the price I paid for it, it's not bad. In fact I ordered another one from them.
download (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back