Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,319 comments
I hate to break this to you, but my phone has better audio quality than your old iPod, and is a better web browser than an iPod touch, or an old PDA. It also lets me do my e-mail easier than finding a computer or setting up a laptop to use. And I can shop from it when I am checking prices in store. By taking a picture of the barcode... with the camera built into the phone.

And it fits in one pocket. Versus having to put an Mp3 player, phone, pda, camera, and possibly carry a netbook with me. Hmm...

And if you lose it? All your eggs are in one basket, and I consider that rather dangerous! I think all of these new devices are taking centralization way too far - pretty soon losing your phone will be every bit as devastating as losing your wallet.

But as for your phone, it's an iPhone or something of that ilk, than yes, it'll have better playback than mine, but I think headphones have alot to do with playback as well. I assume you've upgraded yours in some way?

As for everything else, a laptop is more substantive than a smnartphone. I'm not advocating a return to the days of vacuum tube computers, but I think that once electronics get past a certain point in size they become somewhat hard to use because they have so much stuff packed into so little space. They become so small that their size actually begins to act as a detriment rather than an asset, and they become uncomfortable to hold and you have to constantly switch between menus to access various things. I know ergonomics have come a long way, but there's just no substitute for ease of use like having separate devices as far as I'm concerned.

Such devices do nothing well and are cesspools of mediocrity on a grand scale.

I have this weird feeling you've never actually used a well made smart phone.

Anyway,
EDIT: Wrong image:dunce:
0003242910458_500X500.jpg

~$29

Because Dreamworks is awesome.

And if you lose it? All your eggs are in one basket, and I consider that rather dangerous! I think all of these new devices are taking centralization way too far - pretty soon losing your phone will be every bit as devastating as losing your wallet.
GPS

And if anyone stores personal information on a phone without some kind of security, that's their own fault.

They become so small that their size actually begins to act as a detriment rather than an asset, and they become uncomfortable to hold and you have to constantly switch between menus to access various things. I know ergonomics have come a long way, but there's just no substitute for ease of use like having separate devices as far as I'm concerned.

Smart phones are actually increasing in size. I think the 4.4"(just a guess based on the 4.3" screen) Razr is actually comfortable to hold.

And if you have trouble accessing any of the functions on a smart phone quickly, it's because you're using a bad OS or you don't know it well enough. I have no problem getting to everything on my phone in seconds.

EDIT: Sorry for off topic.

I'll stop with that.

Last edited:

But as for your phone, it's an iPhone or something of that ilk, than yes, it'll have better playback than mine, but I think headphones have alot to do with playback as well. I assume you've upgraded yours in some way?

As for everything else, a laptop is more substantive than a smnartphone. I'm not advocating a return to the days of vacuum tube computers, but I think that once electronics get past a certain point in size they become somewhat hard to use because they have so much stuff packed into so little space. They become so small that their size actually begins to act as a detriment rather than an asset, and they become uncomfortable to hold and you have to constantly switch between menus to access various things. I know ergonomics have come a long way, but there's just no substitute for ease of use like having separate devices as far as I'm concerned.

I have a 4.3" screen on my phone. Size isn't a huge issue. And yes, losing a smart phone sucks, considering they are worth about $500 new out of contract. On the flip side, it means I don't have to carry a book bag with me if I want mobile computing. I also have digital versions of my textbooks on it, and other books. It is my GPS as well, which was quite nice to have when I was on the road for a month this year. Also lets me add contacts on social networks that I meet at events, check plans, schedule, and more.

Or I can lug around a bunch of stuff in a bag and do the same thing with a lot more effort.

I really don't want to be disrespectful, but there is so much whiskeys better than Jack! I didn't try this one yet but I will.

Perhaps, but this stuff is sweetened with honey and is really good on the rocks. I think they only sell them in 26 oz bottles. I had been debating trying it for a long time, but didn't want to blow $30 on a bottle if I didn't like it. Luckily today there was a tasting booth there. Besides the drink being tasty, the girl pushing the stuff was a goddess... :drool:

For the 50th time...

936full-gran-turismo-2-screenshot.jpg

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to distinguish cars with as stretched and pixelated this appears on a 44-inch plasma.

Not available in Canada and doesn't back up apps.

The real question is why would anyone like iTunes? It is such a cumbersome system for loading music onto a device.

Also, amazon lets you directly download purchases from them on Android, if I recall correctly.

I have this weird feeling you've never actually used a well made smart phone.

I've seen my friends use theirs on occasion, and sometimes I get to use them. I can usually figure things out fairly quickly, but all of the smartphones are button deficient and too reliant for my tastes on touch technology. I'm the kind of person who likes pressing button A to lead to event B. I'd happily put more buttons on the phone in order to become less reliant on touch technology and all that navigation. Luckily my own phone isn't reliant on touch technology, and only gets used to call and text. It has lots of buttons, and its comparative lack of features compared to alot of what's out there today makes it less complicated to use, I think. I intend to retain it as long as I can.

And if anyone stores personal information on a phone without some kind of security, that's their own fault.

Well, there's that, but I was more saying that with an eye to how attached at the hip most people are to their phones. At least around campus and in the malls, people are permanently buried in their phones, and I've seen people go nuts when they get separated from their phone for any reason. It's like their only qualitative window into the world is that 4.5 inches or so that is their phone screen. Obviously there are many people who aren't that bad, but it's been my experience that there are more and more people who seem to become overly dependent on their phones. It unsettles me greatly.

Smart phones are actually increasing in size. I think the 4.4"(just a guess based on the 4.3" screen) Razr is actually comfortable to hold.

And if you have trouble accessing any of the functions on a smart phone quickly, it's because you're using a bad OS or you don't know it well enough. I have no problem getting to everything on my phone in seconds.

For most e-mail or internet applications, I'm not sure that a 4.4" screen is large enough. I still have a much harder time reading stuff on my friend's iPhones or Androids even though the screens have increased in size over the last generation of smartphones. I wouldn't want to try and surf (or post) on GTPlanet, for instance, on any of my friends' phones! I like to be able to comfortably see what I'm doing, and I'll trade a little less portability for that, personally.

I have a 4.3" screen on my phone. Size isn't a huge issue. And yes, losing a smart phone sucks, considering they are worth about $500 new out of contract. On the flip side, it means I don't have to carry a book bag with me if I want mobile computing. I also have digital versions of my textbooks on it, and other books. It is my GPS as well, which was quite nice to have when I was on the road for a month this year. Also lets me add contacts on social networks that I meet at events, check plans, schedule, and more.

Or I can lug around a bunch of stuff in a bag and do the same thing with a lot more effort.

Traditional paper books don't bother me - they're not dependent on an electrical or a battery supply, and most of what I read for pleasure hasn't made its way into the digital realm, nor will it in the foreseeable future. Besides, as my textbooks are all hard copies I can return them at the beginning of next year once I'm done with them, as the university will buy them back so I can take that much off next year's book bill.

As for GPS, my car has an in-dash GPS system, so I don't need my phone to give me directions. Social networks and data planners are not applicable to me, and all of my contacts are backed up on a paper list in case events take a turn for the worst.

I don't mind carrying stuff with me - I think the difference between us is that I don't consider it effort to carry the extra equipment! We definitely have different ways of utilizing (or not) various pieces of technology to go about our business, though.

My apologies of the off-topic-ness.

I'm proud of the fact that I have a proper, large, old-school stereo system for my CDs in my room,
I hate to break it to you, but its neither proper or old school. Don't bother telling me what specs it has or anything else. You said CD, which immediately negates any true form of proper or old school sound.

And if you lose it? All your eggs are in one basket, and I consider that rather dangerous!
Well, my wife's phone can locate my phone, lock it, put a message on the screen to contact us, and set an alarm that cannot be turned off without the passcode. And if all that fails, she can wipe it clean.

And we are now entering the second phase of the digital age. I'm hesitant to accept it myself, but the cloud concept is growing. I can get all my Kindle books back on any device that supports Kindle, all my audiobooks back on any device that supports Audible, and I can get all my apps on any device that supports the App Store.

I think all of these new devices are taking centralization way too far - pretty soon losing your phone will be every bit as devastating as losing your wallet.
My wallet has far less security and can't be cleared of all damaging data remotely.

Have you been unaware of the current tablet craze?

All the above said, no portable device has gotten close to removing the experience of devices designed to be kept in the home. I have compared the same games on the PS3, PSP, and iPhone and the PS3 version is superior. In the same way the best audio/video experience is not in a portable device, even if you are playing it from a portable device. It is why I have two iDevice alarm clocks, a Bose iPod system, and the iPhone is always connected to the auxiliary port on my car stereo. And to date, nothing has beaten the quality of Blu-Ray. But my days of three CD wallets in the car are long over, as are my days of tuning a stereo, getting lost without a map, or getting caught by traffic or inclement weather.

The real question is why would anyone like iTunes? It is such a cumbersome system for loading music onto a device.
iOS5 has gone a long way to making this better. WiFi updates and syncing, cloud data backups, and other ways to remove the need to plug in and fiddle with iTunes. Heck, my wife and I automatically share pictures we've taken by simply being on the same WiFi network.

Azuremen

Also, amazon lets you directly download purchases from them on Android, if I recall correctly.

I like being able to back up apps and restore them as I like. The only thing that works for with the market is paid apps or if your rooted and use titanium. I've had my phone cleared 3 times now and itunes would have saved me huge amounts of time. It also allows Apple to send out updates to nearly all devices at one time.

I hate to break this to you, but my phone has better audio quality than your old iPod

Well, that's iffy. There are too many variables in the audio chain to say that it is the source that's outputting higher quality sound. The source file, an external DAC, amplifier and the headphones used all have much more importance than the source.

That, and it is difficult to find Line-out cables for most androids (although it is getting easier with the standardisation of mini/micro-usb) than it is for an iPod.

Traditional paper books don't bother me - they're not dependent on an electrical or a battery supply, and most of what I read for pleasure hasn't made its way into the digital realm, nor will it in the foreseeable future. Besides, as my textbooks are all hard copies I can return them at the beginning of next year once I'm done with them, as the university will buy them back so I can take that much off next year's book bill.

I'd rather not lug 20 pounds of text books with me on campus, and thus why they are on my phone and tablet. The university doesn't pay nearly enough for books anyhow, and you'd do better selling them privately, and also buying them via Amazon or such.

As for GPS, my car has an in-dash GPS system, so I don't need my phone to give me directions. Social networks and data planners are not applicable to me, and all of my contacts are backed up on a paper list in case events take a turn for the worst.

I have about 700 contacts between all my services, and that isn't even that many compared to some people I know working in Silicon Valley.

I'd also like to see your GPS accompany you when you are navigating a new city on foot and using their public transit system. My phone was invaluable for getting around San Francisco on foot when I was visiting.

I don't mind carrying stuff with me - I think the difference between us is that I don't consider it effort to carry the extra equipment! We definitely have different ways of utilizing (or not) various pieces of technology to go about our business, though.

So you are fine carrying a 30 pound backpack around with you where ever you go? Being able to respond to work e-mail and other communication while out on the town at night as incredibly useful.

Honestly, it just sounds like you aren't a big fan of change or simplicity. I use to object to touch based devices a bit, but they work a lot better because how context setups work, and I can change my keyboards and input setups based on what I am doing. I've written Java and HTML while waiting in line on my phone for projects.

At this point, I'm working on phasing my Dell Mini out completely, which is the only mobile computer I have, and just using my phone and HP Touchpad when I am out and about. I don't see much need for a laptop that kind of does everything I need but really isn't a replacement for my desktop work station, since my tablet can handle 80% of what I need taken care of on the fly.

Anyway, back on topic, I bought these to replace my 3 years old set of the same speakers. I managed to somehow snap off the plug that connects the speakers to each other yesteday. Turns out, USB powered laptops speakers are rare these days. The latest ones all have separate power source requirements :rolleyes:. Found this on the logitech fleabay store for a good price.

Bimglog-v20-spk.jpg

Well Azureman, I only carry 5-10 pounds in books, my binder, and my notebook paper. I also bring a 17" laptop with me to college which weighs at 6.5 pounds. Along with other electronics such as two external hard drives, wireless mouse, universal storage reader, a few cables, and a screwdriver bit set all in one laptop bag that would add 3.5~ pounds to it. So at the maximum I would be carrying 10 pounds on my back and 10 pounds in my arm. 30 pounds is not a bother to carry. I've carried over 40 pounds at one time and all it is just making sure you are carrying them properly.

Pfff, my phone does everything everyone here's does, and it does it in 3d...beat that :lol:

Mind you, looking at the spec sheet of my craptop vs phone, my phone appears to be more powerful (Dual core processor) and has more memory....yikes.

Hadn't expected my off-hand comment to spark such a debate!

I take my DSLR and lenses with me pretty much everywhere, so I've always got a man-bag to keep stuff in. My HTC is used for phoning, texting, e-mailing, and occasionally GTPing... it's a rubbish camera, it's a poor sat-nav device, it doesn't go loud enough for music listening anywhere other than an empty library...

Anyway, on topic.

Bought a Japanese peace lily yesterday.

IMG_1979.jpg

.. and looking at that pic, I'm off to dust my speakers!

I hate to break it to you, but its neither proper or old school. Don't bother telling me what specs it has or anything else. You said CD, which immediately negates any true form of proper or old school sound.

I should have mentioned it earlier, but yes, I have a turntable as well. And it does get used on a somewhat regular basis.

Have you been unaware of the current tablet craze?

Tablets are a combination of the vices of both smartphones and laptops. But that's another discussion entirely.

I'd rather not lug 20 pounds of text books with me on campus, and thus why they are on my phone and tablet. The university doesn't pay nearly enough for books anyhow, and you'd do better selling them privately, and also buying them via Amazon or such.

I don't have to carry all of my books on any given day - bookwise, my loadout rarely exceeds 10lbs, which is completely manageable. My computer and related paraphernalia adds another 5 or so, so ~15lbs. give or take isn't too bad. But no, you're certainly right in that the school doesn't pay nearly enough for books.

Honestly, it just sounds like you aren't a big fan of change or simplicity.

Well, you're half-right. I'm not a big fan of change. I have what I currently use and I know how to operate them and they do everything I require of them, but that's because they're simple. Well, at least to me. So, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to 'fix' it, right?

At this point, I'm working on phasing my Dell Mini out completely, which is the only mobile computer I have, and just using my phone and HP Touchpad when I am out and about.

That's simply not feasible for me at the moment. My laptop is the only computer I have right now, and I have to type my essays on it, so it's indispensable, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Also, I bought this for $5:

It's a good game if you're interested in an action/rts type stuff.

Tablets are a combination of the vices of both smartphones and laptops. But that's another discussion entirely.
But their growing popularity is a sign that the trend is no longer smaller and smaller. I give us another decade before laptops and tablets are indistinguishable in performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter never uses paper by the time she is my age.

Well, you're half-right. I'm not a big fan of change. I have what I currently use and I know how to operate them and they do everything I require of them, but that's because they're simple. Well, at least to me. So, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to 'fix' it, right?
A word of warning. My dad said the same thing after media began becoming digital and HD. He didn't need HDTV, he didn't need Blu-Ray, and he didn't need MP3s. Today he complains about how they don't sell things for people his age anymore and his generation can't learn the new technology. If I point out that he stopped trying about 15 years ago he says its because its ridiculous to have to learn something new every 5-10 years.

But I understand. I still hate having a phone on my person at all times.

My old man is the opposite he's going on 77 in a few months and he's a fan of all things computer, although it does get annoying explaing things to him time and time again but it's kinda cool to watch him streaming Asian drama to his TV.
I can't decide between a netbook or a android tablet, most probably be a netbook but those sub ÂŁ100 tabs look good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Got the stand and bench yesterday.

Went shopping with my dad and came out an hour an half later looking at stores for an HDTV to replace the old 20" CRT TV.

VIZIO M260VA 26" Class Razor LED-LCD HDTV - $268(from local Walmart) without tax:
m260va-2arj-460.jpg

The TV looks great even with the RF video input.

Damn, have they not invented wall sockets DAHN UNDER yet?

Is that like a small steam turbine :confused:

Nah, I'm all about portability. A subwoofer and power supply kind of makes the convenience of plug n' play speakers low.

I've given up with iOS, and I haven't looked back. Android is just so much better. My RAZR came with Motorola music, which I think is a great system. It has internet radio too, which is a plus.

livemusic
^Got it too.

Have yet to try it but I love puzzle games so should be good. Anything today for you? I'm passing today I think. Unless Just Cause 2 stays at $5 until I get home I may grab that.

So it's been a little while since I indulged in expanding my Star Wars game collection, so I made the mistake on getting on to ebay and checking out what's going on. Came away with these:

Star Wars Racer Revenge for the PS2
12805694.jpg

Star Wars Droids for the Amstrad CPC64
22576604.jpg

Star Wars Hasbro Millennium Falcon CD-Rom Playset (Old school 3D, you put the cockpit infront of the computer screen when you play the videogame :lol:)
81425660.jpg

Back