Show us your Gran Turismo racing set-up

• Thread starter Famine
  • 817 comments
Open Wheel seat and optional risers. Logitech G29. 75 inches of screen (and Dolby 7.1 surround when the house is empty). And of note: converted shifter mount into cup-holder mount! (And sometimes headphone hanger)

The OW seat is a fine piece for the $... the seat itself is good quality but a little uncomfortable- but the frame is stiff and solid as can be. I think it would actually be easy to replace the seat with any, and the frame alone is worth buying. They've improved the pedal mount a bit since I bought this one.

I'd prefer a setup with a little higher seat, to be more level with the TV, but this is a decent arrangement and offers a nice field of view on bumper cam, pretty immersive. I actually get a little motion sick at places like Barcelona and the more sweeping tracks.

I wanted the Playseat but at the time they were 3x the money... I'd be interested in one of those as an alternative or addition to this one. (For racing together on the second PS4 machine in the house)

1624419100844.jpeg

Last edited:
Since last post I've learned to build my own PC, and I've upgraded my wheelbase.
I'veSpentTooMuchMoney.jpg

Visio 32” D-Series (D32f)
PlayStation 4
MSI B450-A Pro Max
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16Gb DDR4-3200 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series Memory
Gigabyte Radeon RX580
Corsair CX550M Power Supply
All packed inside a Corsair 275R Airflow
Playseat Challenge
Thrustmaster T300 Wheel Base
Thrustmaster Open Wheel Add-On
Thrustmaster T3PA Add-On Pedal Set
Thrustmaster TH8A Add-On Shifter

Last edited:
That last bits of the shaker setup showed up yesterday, it’s much better now. It still makes more audible noise than I was expecting, but this is freaking awesome!! I can’t wait to play with it a bit tonight and get it dialled in properly. :)

Edit: The parts for my shifter showed up yesterday/today as well. I got the Ricmotech short shift kit and the 3Drap kit that makes it require more force to push/pull in and out of gear. It finally feels like a proper shifter now, or as close to one as I’m gonna get in a video game anyways. :)

View attachment 1004818
View attachment 1004819
View attachment 1004820
I was started installing a similar set up with the same shakers. Using the same shaker mounted to the back of my inverted pedal box. Did you managed to get them dialed in to feeling how you wanted? The feedback I am getting from the shakers is a game changer for sure. I can't drive with out them on now.

I was started installing a similar set up with the same shakers. Using the same shaker mounted to the back of my inverted pedal box. Did you managed to get them dialed in to feeling how you wanted? The feedback I am getting from the shakers is a game changer for sure. I can't drive with out them on now.
In GT Sport I was only able to get them dialled in so far, because you can only use the in game audio adjustments. They still worked well though and I agree, I don’t like driving without them now either. In iRacing there are a few more in game settings for them that let you dial them in pretty good, can turn up and down individual effects. They are really really cool with iRacing. :)

In GT Sport I was only able to get them dialled in so far, because you can only use the in game audio adjustments. They still worked well though and I agree, I don’t like driving without them now either. In iRacing there are a few more in game settings for them that let you dial them in pretty good, can turn up and down individual effects. They are really really cool with iRacing. :)Perfect
Perfect, thats good to hear! Right now, I have them connected to the amp, then have the RCA cables from the amp connected to one of the TV open LR audio ports. The main audio comes from my receiver, so I can still get 5.1 surround sound separate from the shakers and adjust them on their own. Found a setting on the receiver that lets you play sound from both the receiver connected speakers and from the TV simultaneously. So, I have the TV's speakers off, which forces audio to play from the shakers via the amp connected to the TV. I get full separation of left and right vibrations thats happening in game plus vibrations from the engine, ***** and the road, I can even feel effects from other cars backfire at time! Its fantastic! 🙂 Theres still a bit of unwanted audio in the highs, I actually can't hear it over the sound coming from the surround sound speakers. The amp isn't even turn half way up. So, I know there more potential there if I can eliminate more of the highs. I hope I explained all of that well enough :lol:

Last edited:
Perfect, thats good to hear! Right now, I have them connected to the amp, then have the RCA cables from the amp connected to one of the TV open LR audio ports. The main audio comes from my receiver, so I can still get 5.1 surround sound separate from the shakers and adjust them on their own. Found a setting on the receiver that lets you play sound from both the receiver connected speakers and from the TV simultaneously. So, I have the TV's speakers off, which forces audio to play from the shakers via the amp connected to the TV. I get full separation of left and right vibrations thats happening in game plus vibrations from the engine, ***** and the road, I can even feel effects from other cars backfire at time! Its fantastic! 🙂 Theres still a bit of unwanted audio in the highs, I actually can't hear it over the sound coming from the surround sound speakers. The amp isn't even turn half way up. So, I know there more potential there if I can eliminate more of the highs. I hope I explained all of that well enough :lol:
Nice!! You can eliminate the high sounds with low pass frequency controller. There are a few different options, I originally had one separate to my amp. But then upgraded to a stronger amp that has one built in, there is a dial that lets you set the high cut off frequency so you can dial in exactly where you want to cut it off. It’s great for GT since there is no in game options for that. :)

Are setting up buttkickers pretty easy? I don’t have surround sound or a receiver.
They are relatively easy to set up. You don't need surround sound to get them to work, but you will need an amp to power them. For GT, you will need to do a little more work to get them to work their best due to limitations of the game being on console but its worth it. How do you get your sound for playing the game, through your TV speakers?

Nice!! You can eliminate the high sounds with low pass frequency controller. There are a few different options, I originally had one separate to my amp. But then upgraded to a stronger amp that has one built in, there is a dial that lets you set the high cut off frequency so you can dial in exactly where you want to cut it off. It’s great for GT since there is no in game options for that. :)
I purchased these, though after reading your comment I feel I should have ordered something with a bit more adjustability. We will see how these work when they arrive.

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 1.44.16 AM.png

Last edited:
I purchased these, though after reading your comment I feel I should have ordered something with a bit more adjustability. We will see how these work when they arrive.

View attachment 1071446
Those do the exact same thing, and will work just fine if you already know where you’re want to cut the highs off. I wasn’t sure, so I grabbed one of these for $20 on Amazon, it lets you adjust the cut off point. My new amp has one of these built in though, so I’m not using this one now.
1A72CE49-63E2-424F-BF23-3B66B648FA22.jpeg

Are setting up buttkickers pretty easy? I don’t have surround sound or a receiver.
Not super difficult to set up, it’s basically like setting up a small home stereo. I don’t have surround sound or a receiver either, so in order to steal the audio signal from the TV I had to buy an HDMI splitter. It’s basically a little box that has an HDMI in/out pass through, but on the out side it also has RCA audio out, that you can run to a small amp to power the shakers.

Last edited:
Does the buttkicker brand include an amp with it? Or do I need to buy that separately?

Also, how many are you guys able to run?

I’ve read you have to mess with the in game audio…mainly turn off the music and adjust engine, transmission etc. sounds which I already have. I don’t want to hear any music when I’m racing. Just race sounds!!

Does the buttkicker brand include an amp with it? Or do I need to buy that separately?

Also, how many are you guys able to run?

I’ve read you have to mess with the in game audio…mainly turn off the music and adjust engine, transmission etc. sounds which I already have. I don’t want to hear any music when I’m racing. Just race sounds!!
The Buttkicker comes with an amp and one shaker I believe, and the things to hook it up, it’s a whole kit as far as I know. I just kind of “made my own kit” through some reading and trial and error. I ended up with 4 shakers and an amp for less than a buttkicker set, but I went through much more hassle to learn and set it up my way. I prefer the way I have it now to a single buttkicker, but not everyone will wanna go through the extra effort.

Last edited:
Is there YouTube vids on how to do it?

Also, where do you have your shakers set up? And are they all conveying the same info?

Also, where do you have your shakers set up? And are they all conveying the same info?
Mine are all run on a single channel yes, your amp will decide if you get 1, 2 or 4 channels, mine is just a single channel sub amp. I have two shakers under my seat, one under my pedals and one under my wheel. But my rig allows for that, some may not.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what kind of information are you obtaining from your shakers? Or is it simply for more immersion?
In GT Sport it’s more of an immersion/fun thing. For iRacing, I can turn up the wheel spin channel more than the others and it becomes useful information while driving then.

Last edited:

Mine
Mine are all run on a single channel yes, your amp will decide if you get 1, 2 or 4 channels, mine is just a single channel sub amp. I have two shakers under my seat, one under my pedals and one under my wheel. But my rig allows for that, some may not.
Mine are mounted to the back of my pedal board just behind the brake and accelerator. They are connected to a 2 channel amp. So I get left and right feed back from the vibrations of the shakers. Thin I will get a 4 channel amp in the future and put two more shakers under my chair.

IMG_3367.JPG
IMG_5990.jpg
IMG_5991.jpg

Last edited:
There’s a couple of ways to get the needed audio signal depending on your personal setup, for console it was easiest for me to use the splitter. After that, it’s basically just running amp and some speakers really. My original amp was very similar to yours with 2 channels. I only switched to a sub amp for the bass cut off control built in, instead of being wired in separately, and a bit more power. :)

Last edited:
There’s a couple of ways to get the needed audio signal depending on your personal setup, for console it was easiest for me to use the splitter. After that, it’s basically just running amp and some speakers really. My original amp was very similar to yours with 2 channels. I only switched to a sub amp for the bass cut off control built in, instead of being wired in separately, and a bit more power. :)
What was the power wattage of the bass amp you got? I’m looking into getting a 4 channel amp soon. So I can put two shakers under the seat I don’t want to wake the neighbors but a little more bump would be nice. Thanks for all the help in this, what a great project this has become :cheers:

What was the power wattage of the bass amp you got? I’m looking into getting a 4 channel amp soon. So I can put two shakers under the seat I don’t want to wake the neighbors but a little more bump would be nice. Thanks for all the help in this, what a great project this has become :cheers:
The 2nd one I got was a 100w amp, it powers my four 25w shakers perfectly, will actually bottom them out if I turn it up to much.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone else is feeling inadequate watching people talk about all these fancy electronics

(also I always said I'd tag @Leggacy when I was finished with this, here you go)

1.png

Chair is by GT Omega, table is by B&M, wheel is G29 and standard pedals, TV is by Sony

2.png

Driving position varies depending on how hard I brake or how violently I move the wheel - I can't play rally games because of this. The green stuff on the table feet is duct tape wrapped round a cut up rubber mat to try and offer a bit more grip, while the silver thing on top is the weight from an old toilet roll holder. It doesn't stop the table from tilting

4.png

This is roughly a driver's eye view

3.png

This is in case Jimmy Broadbent ever comes on here looking for inspiration for another sim rig rating video. The stickers all add one second per lap.

Just in case anyone else is feeling inadequate watching people talk about all these fancy electronics

(also I always said I'd tag @Leggacy when I was finished with this, here you go)

View attachment 1072822

Chair is by GT Omega, table is by B&M, wheel is G29 and standard pedals, TV is by Sony

View attachment 1072823

Driving position varies depending on how hard I brake or how violently I move the wheel - I can't play rally games because of this. The green stuff on the table feet is duct tape wrapped round a cut up rubber mat to try and offer a bit more grip, while the silver thing on top is the weight from an old toilet roll holder. It doesn't stop the table from tilting

View attachment 1072824

This is roughly a driver's eye view

View attachment 1072825

This is in case Jimmy Broadbent ever comes on here looking for inspiration for another sim rig rating video. The stickers all add one second per lap.
I drove with a folding table for many years. Had to right foot brake as my left foot was use to keep the table stead and the pedals from sliding

When I first started with a wheel I had the Logitech lap grip. It was awful, gave me a pain in the gooch, probably from the gripping with my legs.
LOL, I remember that thing. It also hurt your lower back if you were taller. You had to hunch down a bit to grip the wheel. And if you had big thighs, forget it. Your hands kept hitting them and it made it impossible to get full turns on the wheel. Plus the sensitivity was all over the place. Too high, too low.....I ran into a lot of walls and other cars with that damn thing.

Got a couple of additions to the family today from Fanatec. Pre-ordered back in June, and actually arrived a couple of weeks ahead of schedule.

Haven't played with the WRC rim yet, but did a few laps with the McLaren rim and really like it so far. It's a little bigger diameter (2 CM) than my F1 Esports rim, and I really like the size difference. I do think it lacks a couple of functioning buttons that the F1 has as I can't seem to find L2 or R2.

Also note the official description of said products on the Customs document prepared by Fanatec themselves. :lol:

20210817_191518.jpg

20210817_191648.jpg

20210817_204428.jpg

20210817_204523.jpg

20210817_215755.jpg

I finally moved from the TV-Tray Rig to my actual desk. Way more stable, but felt weird for a while.

20210822_212438.jpg

The chair is the least comfortable thing here. Not only does my ass hurt after long sessions, but my legs sometimes go numb from the pleasure of next to no cushioning. Arms can't be removed either.

New guy here. So. Hi! My name is Kevin.

Played GT for years growing up and decided to build a rig and get more serious before GT7 comes out. It took some time to get the geometry correct and now that I'm settled in it feels great. Hope to take part in races and possible leagues once I get more comfortable.

I come from a racing background but back issues don't allow track duty anymore so this is also an excellent replacement.

Attachments

• 20210827_093054.jpg
    20210827_093054.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 50
Back