Show us your Gran Turismo racing set-up

• Thread starter Famine
  • 817 comments
New guy here. So. Hi! My name is Kevin.

Played GT for years growing up and decided to build a rig and get more serious before GT7 comes out. It took some time to get the geometry correct and now that I'm settled in it feels great. Hope to take part in races and possible leagues once I get more comfortable.

I come from a racing background but back issues don't allow track duty anymore so this is also an excellent replacement.
Fantastic job on the rig!!! I went the home made route too, I had a couple of requirements that my rig had to meet. I wanted to be able to enter it like a car,, not having something over my legs on both sides and the wheelbase had to have zero flex. Luckily I'm a metal fabricator and had a lot of small diameter 4130 inventory so I was able to accomplish both. Even though I thought that I nailed ergonomics on the first try after over a year of use I learned that I wanted to adjust the angle of my pedals, it took about 4 tries and so far I like it, time will tell. I would also like to upgrade it and mount a TV and my PS4 to my rig so that it's 1 whole integrated unit, still have to add an H pattern shifter and a DD wheelbase. I'm assuming that is a Fanatec DD wheelbase?? Its good to see they make normal wheels for them, all I have been seeing were F1 style wheels which I really don't want.

I went the home made route too[...]Its good to see they make normal wheels for them, all I have been seeing were F1 style wheels which I really don't want.
Please take a picture of your rig ;)

For Fanatac there are plenty of "normal" wheels, some being replicas of real car wheels if you fancy a particular car (Porsche 911, 918, BMW, Nascar...)

Fantastic job on the rig!!! I went the home made route too, I had a couple of requirements that my rig had to meet. I wanted to be able to enter it like a car,, not having something over my legs on both sides and the wheelbase had to have zero flex. Luckily I'm a metal fabricator and had a lot of small diameter 4130 inventory so I was able to accomplish both. Even though I thought that I nailed ergonomics on the first try after over a year of use I learned that I wanted to adjust the angle of my pedals, it took about 4 tries and so far I like it, time will tell. I would also like to upgrade it and mount a TV and my PS4 to my rig so that it's 1 whole integrated unit, still have to add an H pattern shifter and a DD wheelbase. I'm assuming that is a Fanatec DD wheelbase?? Its good to see they make normal wheels for them, all I have been seeing were F1 style wheels which I really don't want.
Thanks, man! I'd like to say it's been easy but it hasn't. I also come from a fabrication background in performance automotive and thought about building one out of tube but I knew it would take forever.

I started with a "pro" level chassis but it was way crooked and honestly not comfortable for me. Not to mention pedal adjustment was poorly lacking.

After 2 weeks of messing with it I ordered a p1x from Simlab then the inverted pedal rack. Same as you I was big on ergonomics. Especially for long sessions. I'm all about function over form but it's nice to actually feel like you're in a car!

Yes. It is a DD1. I bought the bundle, and the 911 wheel because I prefer round. Also have the v3 pedals. Seat is a Sparco Crono Road because I'm too old for fixed back while the suspension and recline is nice. I also used an incline bracket for the mount so it actually sits more like a fixed back in a GT car.

It may be overkill for console but I wanted double duty if I want to go PC based. After 3 months this week is the first I've been able to just sit down and work on driving and it seems the frustration and countless adjustments were worth it.

The inverted rack kind of brought it all together. My braking is much more consistent while pedal feel is great and any upward movement of my heels have been eliminated.

Thanks, man! I'd like to say it's been easy but it hasn't. I also come from a fabrication background in performance automotive and thought about building one out of tube but I knew it would take forever.

I started with a "pro" level chassis but it was way crooked and honestly not comfortable for me. Not to mention pedal adjustment was poorly lacking.

After 2 weeks of messing with it I ordered a p1x from Simlab then the inverted pedal rack. Same as you I was big on ergonomics. Especially for long sessions. I'm all about function over form but it's nice to actually feel like you're in a car!

Yes. It is a DD1. I bought the bundle, and the 911 wheel because I prefer round. Also have the v3 pedals. Seat is a Sparco Crono Road because I'm too old for fixed back while the suspension and recline is nice. I also used an incline bracket for the mount so it actually sits more like a fixed back in a GT car.

It may be overkill for console but I wanted double duty if I want to go PC based. After 3 months this week is the first I've been able to just sit down and work on driving and it seems the frustration and countless adjustments were worth it.

The inverted rack kind of brought it all together. My braking is much more consistent while pedal feel is great and any upward movement of my heels have been eliminated.
Fanatec doesn't make a PS DD wheel yet do they? Are you using a Drivehub?? The real appealing thing about the Fanatec stuff when I was in the market for a wheel was that I could buy a PS wheel base then I only needed to buy a spare rim to use it with my XBox/PC instead of a second wheel base. I have the V3 loadcell pedals but not the inverted set, the angle of the standard set it why I went thru so many pedal modifications. The pedal itself is relatively short yet it has a lot of travel, with the angle Fanatec mounts the pedal set I was losing brake force as I was applying more pressure because the pedal angle was becoming so extreme. I think they based the pedal angles more for using the pedals in an upright chair sitting at a desk moreso than mounting everything in a proper racing position. Just a guess anyway. I had to roll them back quite far to get them to work well.

Please take a picture of your rig ;)

For Fanatac there are plenty of "normal" wheels, some being replicas of real car wheels if you fancy a particular car (Porsche 911, 918, BMW, Nascar...)
I put pics up earlier in the thread already, I suppose I can do it again.

Attachments

• 20180303_102541.jpg
    20180303_102541.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180303_102526.jpg
    20180303_102526.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 43
Fanatec doesn't make a PS DD wheel yet do they? Are you using a Drivehub?? The real appealing thing about the Fanatec stuff when I was in the market for a wheel was that I could buy a PS wheel base then I only needed to buy a spare rim to use it with my XBox/PC instead of a second wheel base. I have the V3 loadcell pedals but not the inverted set, the angle of the standard set it why I went thru so many pedal modifications. The pedal itself is relatively short yet it has a lot of travel, with the angle Fanatec mounts the pedal set I was losing brake force as I was applying more pressure because the pedal angle was becoming so extreme. I think they based the pedal angles more for using the pedals in an upright chair sitting at a desk moreso than mounting everything in a proper racing position. Just a guess anyway. I had to roll them back quite far to get them to work well.
It's PS - PC compatible and comes with the blue F1 wheel. Total plug and play. I agree on the pedal design. I had to angle them towards me so much the heel plate wasn't comfortable even using the brackets to lengthen and put the pads at 90 degrees. Inverting them really made a world of difference. That and shortening the throw a bit.

I also removed the clutch and used shaft collars so I could set the spacing where i want.

It's PS - PC compatible and comes with the blue F1 wheel. Total plug and play. I agree on the pedal design. I had to angle them towards me so much the heel plate wasn't comfortable even using the brackets to lengthen and put the pads at 90 degrees. Inverting them really made a world of difference. That and shortening the throw a bit.

I also removed the clutch and used shaft collars so I could set the spacing where i want.
Yeah, I had to make a new base or foot rest plate after rotating them so much to raise up my feet. You took a standard set and converted them to inverted pedals?

My current rig, cats liked it too.

They are now banned from the seat due to them destroying the Trakracer seat. They did me a favour tbfh, what a difference the Sparco seat is.

Those trakracer seats are poor quality, tried to lift the fabric off it to wash it, wouldn’t come off and the nasty dust from the foam backing went everywhere.

I was in the doghouse for days………

Attachments

• 2626BA9A-9E4B-459B-A4FD-0DFFE042053F.jpeg
    2626BA9A-9E4B-459B-A4FD-0DFFE042053F.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 52DFE03E-EAC7-490C-A00D-18F00765F3B2.jpeg
    52DFE03E-EAC7-490C-A00D-18F00765F3B2.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 70C73549-ED45-4DC3-BC7C-CA508D363CEA.jpeg
    70C73549-ED45-4DC3-BC7C-CA508D363CEA.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 68

They are now banned from the seat due to them destroying the Trakracer seat. They did me a favour tbfh, what a difference the Sparco seat is.

Those trakracer seats are poor quality, tried to lift the fabric off it to wash it, wouldn’t come off and the nasty dust from the foam backing went everywhere.

The cats look Boss!

The cats look Boss!
Their names are AyCee and DeeCee, they used to be the boss, the new arrival Izzy is now the boss believe it or not. Half the size of them, butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth but she is evil on four legs. Terrorises the other other two on a daily basis 😺😺🐯🐯

Attachments

• CCF7A71E-B0CE-4162-A57F-6FB54D3ACB9A.jpeg
    CCF7A71E-B0CE-4162-A57F-6FB54D3ACB9A.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 35

The Porsche wheel looks the business!
I have the PS compatible DD1 with the Blue F1 Wheel, did you need to buy the Podium Hub to fit the Porsche wheel, and did you use the existing Advance Paddle Module from the F1 wheel with the new wheel or buy a new one?
Sorry for all the questions :D

Sorry Guys, meant to reply yesterday and forgot.

you basically have to buy each individual item, nothing from you F1 wheel is compatible.

My lovely other half bought me it for my 50th last year, if you buy the wheel complete it is a little bit cheaper but all still comes as separate items. I enjoyed building it and love racing with it.

It pisses all over the blue F1 rim, I actually thought that was going to fall apart on me at one point, it was groaning and creaking on WRC 9 with the torque up higher than I normally have it on GT.

Added a few pics of the building procesS.

no worries on the questions, happy to help 👍👍

Attachments

• 773D63C5-A20E-4836-AA5B-975040B3B482.jpeg
    773D63C5-A20E-4836-AA5B-975040B3B482.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
  • E3D4256B-57E5-48C8-A1D0-C0849B321DE8.jpeg
    E3D4256B-57E5-48C8-A1D0-C0849B321DE8.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 34351F9F-2494-4EFA-ADAC-F2C8AFFE9E89.jpeg
    34351F9F-2494-4EFA-ADAC-F2C8AFFE9E89.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 31
  • DA823A96-E561-4DF4-B828-04D3B6C3D025.jpeg
    DA823A96-E561-4DF4-B828-04D3B6C3D025.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 34

Removing the clutch, Why didn’t I think of that, guess what I’m doing this weekend. Top tip thanks very much 👍👍

Removing the clutch, Why didn’t I think of that, guess what I’m doing this weekend. Top tip thanks very much 👍👍
No problem. I left the throttle in the same spot. And some notes if you use shaft collars so you can adjust the width.

The collars on the heel plate side need a flat ground on them so they don't interfere with the crossbar used for the pedal stops. Before you disassemble remove the throttle spring and disconnect the load cell tension from the brake pedal.

Also. It works better if you use original spacers on each side of the pedal then the shaft collars. They interfere with the load cell and the sensor on the throttle. Other than that be very careful with the aluminum fasteners. they strip way easy. Hope this helps.

Sorry Guys, meant to reply yesterday and forgot.

you basically have to buy each individual item, nothing from you F1 wheel is compatible.

My lovely other half bought me it for my 50th last year, if you buy the wheel complete it is a little bit cheaper but all still comes as separate items. I enjoyed building it and love racing with it.

It pisses all over the blue F1 rim, I actually thought that was going to fall apart on me at one point, it was groaning and creaking on WRC 9 with the torque up higher than I normally have it on GT.

Added a few pics of the building procesS.

no worries on the questions, happy to help 👍👍
Mine is being delivered either tomorrow or Thursday 😀

Maintenance day and making a few adjustments so I thought I'd share a pic of my inverted V3 setup. Also swapped out the pads to a more comfortable Sparco set. You can also see the shaft collars I used to eliminate the clutch and make easy position adjustments.

Right now I'm pretty happy. My heels are in equal positions and the overall Ergo feels just about spot on. Added a little more throw to the throttle and still tweaking my brake since I'm getting better. And I need to make a proper spacer for the throttle pad. Right now it's a little hokey but works.

20211105_153102.jpg

Maintenance day and making a few adjustments so I thought I'd share a pic of my inverted V3 setup. Also swapped out the pads to a more comfortable Sparco set. You can also see the shaft collars I used to eliminate the clutch and make easy position adjustments.

Right now I'm pretty happy. My heels are in equal positions and the overall Ergo feels just about spot on. Added a little more throw to the throttle and still tweaking my brake since I'm getting better. And I need to make a proper spacer for the throttle pad. Right now it's a little hokey but works.

View attachment 1092013
Nice setup you got there :cheers:, and this is my setup below.

f.JPG

View attachment 1092013
I see, it looks like you just mirrored the pedals a then flipped the the whole assembly upside down. Since I have a lathe in my shop I suppose I could easily make any new spacers required. I like the Fanatec load cell brake but I just can't get the pedal feel that I want. I even bought the adjustable foam rubber adjustment pack from Fanatec. I'm really considering fabricating a brake pedal assembly using a real hydraulic master cylinder with multiple brake linkage attachment points to get the pedal feel I'm looking for.

I think I’ve now got the T-LCM’s just about dialed in, ended up going with 1 Red Spring, 1 Black spring and 2 washers, to eliminate most of the little silver middle springs play. I also had to actually fasten these pedals down, that wasn’t an issue with my old ones, but the brake requires a bit more force now, so it makes sense. Overall I’m really liking them so far, I’d definitely recommend them to anyone looking for an upgrade over T3PA’s. 👍

C76DF179-FA61-4C82-AE55-2396CD3BBF50.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice setup you got there :cheers:, and this is my setup below.

View attachment 1092052

Rock on, man and thanks.
I see, it looks like you just mirrored the pedals a then flipped the the whole assembly upside down. Since I have a lathe in my shop I suppose I could easily make any new spacers required. I like the Fanatec load cell brake but I just can't get the pedal feel that I want. I even bought the adjustable foam rubber adjustment pack from Fanatec. I'm really considering fabricating a brake pedal assembly using a real hydraulic master cylinder with multiple brake linkage attachment points to get the pedal feel I'm looking for.
Yep. The rack from Simlab allows you to invert anything. Spacers would be simple on a lathe but I'm a fan of being able to change adjustments if I want to tweak things.

I have the performance kit for the brake too and also struggled with feel. I play console right now so anything hydraulic is out of the question.

I did end up going with a lighter pedal with less travel after realizing I should look at it as controlling the game and not trying ao hard to recreate realism. Regardless of the pedal type we will never have the feeling of the car slowing when we grab the brake.

Having something really heavy wasn't good for my foot and fatigue because I drive so much. I use two of the small red springs with a cut down green spring to eliminate some of the travel. Ditching the foam spacer made a big difference.

That coupled with the dampener gives a decent hydraulic feel although a bit softer than a normal pedal and allowed trailbraking easier for me.

Latest Posts

Back