Show us your Gran Turismo racing set-up

• Thread starter Famine
  • 817 comments
I wouldn't bother with castors unless you intend to keep moving it, you'll have more trouble keeping the seat still unless you can tie it to your pedals.

I made a simple frame with some wooden offcuts and bolted an mx5 (miata / eunos) seat on top. Very comfy and cheap. I kept it on the original seat frame rails so it could slide forwards and back. I then attached a wheel stand pro to the frame to keep it all together , but a wheel and pedal frame should be easy enough to build too

I had casters under my rig at first, before I mounted the tv on it, I used to roll it in and out of the living room every time I used it, it was a PITA I can assure you. It also caused it to flex a little bit, I didn’t like that either. 👍

A7D474A6-C074-4E46-9542-288D92CB01DD.jpeg

Are you saying that the rig might be too solid for a Buttlicker to work effectively? Where do they normally get mounted?? I suppose the worst case scenario is temporarily trying a couple different spots with the Buttkicker to find the most effective spot. Is the intensity of them adjustable?? I know absolutely nothing about Buttkickers other than they are supposed to offer a little more immersion.
Sorry didn't see your reply.

Basically the buttkicker is designed to give vibrations that you can feel.

If you mount the buttkicker to the frame of your rig, then in order to feel it in the seat, you must allow the whole frame to shake, by mounting it on flexible mounts. In this case, mounting the PS4 on a frame that shakes is a bad idea unless you use anti - vibration mounting hardware. However in this case , the buttkicker obviously has more mass to try and shake for you to feel it, so it may be a bit weak. The intensity is adjustable so you would need to turn it up but depending on how heavy and rigid your frame, it may not be powerful enough and in any case you may lose some detailed feedback as the fibre vibrations may get absorbed by the frame before they reach you.

The other option is to mount your seat on the frame using flexible mounts so that it can shake independently of the frame. The buttkicker is mounted onto the seat so you feel it directly and more strongly. In this case , the frame does not shake (or at least, it is minimised) so it is fine to mount your PS4 directly to the frame.

I wouldn't bother with castors unless you intend to keep moving it, you'll have more trouble keeping the seat still unless you can tie it to your pedals.

I made a simple frame with some wooden offcuts and bolted an mx5 (miata / eunos) seat on top. Very comfy and cheap. I kept it on the original seat frame rails so it could slide forwards and back. I then attached a wheel stand pro to the frame to keep it all together , but a wheel and pedal frame should be easy enough to build too

I had casters under my rig at first, before I mounted the tv on it, I used to roll it in and out of the living room every time I used it, it was a PITA I can assure you. It also caused it to flex a little bit, I didn’t like that either. 👍

I only have to move it a few feet to the TV and was going to go a bit overboard on the structure to remove any flex from it.

Obviously, my missus hated the idea of a Frankenstein rig in our too small living room as it would be a foot longer than the Evo but while she understandably said no to it, she let me order Playseat's seat sliders for a bit more leg room and a memory foam back and lumbar support cushion instead. Another £60 spent but a car seat would have cost me more.

Sorry didn't see your reply.

Basically the buttkicker is designed to give vibrations that you can feel.

If you mount the buttkicker to the frame of your rig, then in order to feel it in the seat, you must allow the whole frame to shake, by mounting it on flexible mounts. In this case, mounting the PS4 on a frame that shakes is a bad idea unless you use anti - vibration mounting hardware. However in this case , the buttkicker obviously has more mass to try and shake for you to feel it, so it may be a bit weak. The intensity is adjustable so you would need to turn it up but depending on how heavy and rigid your frame, it may not be powerful enough and in any case you may lose some detailed feedback as the fibre vibrations may get absorbed by the frame before they reach you.

The other option is to mount your seat on the frame using flexible mounts so that it can shake independently of the frame. The buttkicker is mounted onto the seat so you feel it directly and more strongly. In this case , the frame does not shake (or at least, it is minimised) so it is fine to mount your PS4 directly to the frame.

No problem on the wait.

My rig is made of steel tubing and the seat is plastic and is rigidly bolted directly to the rig on fabricated mounts. I would imagine other rigs are similar so there must be a way to make it work decent. If I had to I dont mind fabricating custom mounts that I would weld to my rig. I just want to make sure that the Buttkickers will work on my application before going thru the work of mounting them.

No problem on the wait.

My rig is made of steel tubing and the seat is plastic and is rigidly bolted directly to the rig on fabricated mounts. I would imagine other rigs are similar so there must be a way to make it work decent. If I had to I dont mind fabricating custom mounts that I would weld to my rig. I just want to make sure that the Buttkickers will work on my application before going thru the work of mounting them.
If it is mounted vertically then you may be able to get rubber mounts with the correct thread to slot in between the frame and the seat.

There is no problem using buttkicker with the PS4, you will need an hdmi audio extractor to get the signal to the amp, or maybe an optical to analogue convertor if your ps4 has optical output. The limitation with the hdmi audio extractor is that if you listen on headphones from the DS4 then the audio isn't sent out to the TV and so you'll get nothing coming into your amp. I guess you could run a splitter cable from your DS4 tho, one to your headphones and one to the buttkicker.

The other issue is that you're reliant on the game maker putting good low frequency effects in, and they aren't amazing in GTS, at least not once you've tried something like ACC anyway

Last edited:
If it is mounted vertically then you may be able to get rubber mounts with the correct thread to slot in between the frame and the seat.

There is no problem using buttkicker with the PS4, you will need an hdmi audio extractor to get the signal to the amp, or maybe an optical to analogue convertor if your ps4 has optical output. The limitation with the hdmi audio extractor is that if you listen on headphones from the DS4 then the audio isn't sent out to the TV and so you'll get nothing coming into your amp. I guess you could run a splitter cable from your DS4 tho, one to your headphones and one to the buttkicker.

The other issue is that you're reliant on the game maker putting good low frequency effects in, and they aren't amazing in GTS, at least not once you've tried something like ACC anyway

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
So a rubber mounted seat with the Buttkicker mounted to the seat is the desired application??
As far as my electronics I am using my regularly watched TV, sound comes thru Bose surround sound, the TV and PS4 both plug into the Bose receiver but I often race with headphones plugged into my DS4, the Bose will automatically turn off when I use my headset.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
So a rubber mounted seat with the Buttkicker mounted to the seat is the desired application??
As far as my electronics I am using my regularly watched TV, sound comes thru Bose surround sound, the TV and PS4 both plug into the Bose receiver but I often race with headphones plugged into my DS4, the Bose will automatically turn off when I use my headset.
I think it would be the most effective way to get the vibrations into your seat and not wasted on the frame. Assuming the seat itself has some sort of frame parts to attach the shaker unit?

Ok so you'll maybe want two inputs to your butt kicker, one from the DS4 and one from the bose if it has audio out or the HDMI audio extractor if not, and then switch between as you like.

Last edited:
I think it would be the most effective way to get the vibrations into your seat and not wasted on the frame. Assuming the seat itself has some sort of frame parts to attach the shaker unit?

Ok so you'll maybe want two inputs to your butt kicker, one from the DS4 and one from the bose if it has audio out or the HDMI audio extractor of not, and then switch between as you like.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

If poss, I'd move the seat right up to the table, and move the TV right to the front of the table. Bring closer makes a big difference to me

Well... after having it closer for a while I ended up moving it farther back. Feels much better for me. Feel like I can see the edges of where the tyres are much better (bumper cam).

Maybe my peripheral vision isn't great in this game from previously using chase cam most of the time since GT1. Also I said my TV is 50 inch but it's actually 55 inch so I suspect the larger size is contributing to my crap peripheral vision.

Have to say it's tough getting used to the camera change and going from pad to wheel. I've been using roof cam for Super Formula and reducing rotation by 1 click (T150) which helps a lot, but my raw pace just isn't there. Luckily the top split daily race lobbies have hardly any A+ any more so I can finish in a decent position.

Still would never play on my main account yet as that's just asking for some mega DR drops. Honestly don't think I'll ever match my old pace by the close of GT Sport and don't think I'll be getting GT7.

Well I’ve made several changes recently:
Built a PC that includes that RTX3090,
65” 900H for 4k120, VRR, 7ms lag, and HDR with an adjustable height mount,
And built a new cockpit with an STI seat.

I still have a few adjustments to make but here’s how it sits...

Attachments

• 8BEB8260-204F-4998-AE44-65B1E6D408D0.jpeg
    8BEB8260-204F-4998-AE44-65B1E6D408D0.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 62
  • D0C756F3-4E4F-4B34-B337-C077ED116E1C.jpeg
    D0C756F3-4E4F-4B34-B337-C077ED116E1C.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 63
My build is finally finished. I started back in summer to build it and due to renovating my new house we moved in, I didn't had time to finish it in one go. I only have to find an easy way to switch between one of the monitors and rift s (dp connection).
Specs:
-Csw 2.5
-Porsche 918 wheel
-Formula carbon
-V3 pedals
-Th8a
-Buttkicker player v2
-Triple samsung 32 inch 144hrz curved monitors
-Rift s
-Button box
-8040 rig build by me using simlab gt1 specs.
-Simlab simflor
-8040&4040 triple monitors stand build by me using simlab specs.
-Seat from local car tuning shop
-5.1 surround speakers from logitech
-Pc is r5 3600 16gb ram gtx 1080ti (upgrade to 3080 soon) ssd blabla.
I'm very impressed with it.
Oh and drivehub and ps4 pro with gt sport.

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_134216.jpg
    IMG_20201212_134216.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20201212_184627.jpg
    IMG_20201212_184627.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20201212_184646.jpg
    IMG_20201212_184646.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20201212_184720.jpg
    IMG_20201212_184720.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20201212_184442.jpg
    IMG_20201212_184442.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
524CB734-CFD1-4DD6-8654-411FD4A979D8.jpeg
I’ve posted my setup before and the T300rs and Playseat Challenge are the same. The PS5 and Samsung q70 are upgrades from November.

What I did want to show off is my new helmet that came in yesterday. I got it to start doing autocross events with a buddy of mine that races in real life, but I’ll display it near my rig. And I will almost certainly wear it for at least one GTS race. My wife thinks I’m being ridiculous. Maybe you agree or maybe it’s ridiculously awesome! :sly:

Does anyone make a wireless racing wheel for the PS4? I googled it before but never found a solution to cables stretching across the living room floor with dogs, cats, and children running through and pulling everything off the entertainment center onto the floor.

Does anyone make a wireless racing wheel for the PS4? I googled it before but never found a solution to cables stretching across the living room floor with dogs, cats, and children running through and pulling everything off the entertainment center onto the floor.

Not that I know of. Does anyone make wireless USB attachments/adapters though? That may be the best solution if so.

Last edited:
If you have cables stretching across the living room floor and they are in the way of dogs, cats, and children running through, try laying a roll of carpet on the floor with the cables under the carpet, like in this picture below.
20210213_091638.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back