Show us your Gran Turismo racing set-up

• Thread starter Famine
  • 817 comments
I have a 47" TV and my pedals go underneath. TV is roughly in line with my ankles or shins.

Even with that, my calculated FOV would be 42°, tho (in AC) I play at 45° to get a bit more on the screen. You need to move closer for a wider ideal FOV - and if you're playing GTS, i understand that's set at around 70° (although there is conflicting info on that i think maybe that's bumpercam - not sure about cockpit view, I've read 55° but haven't done any validation)

Moving closer will only get you closer to the ideal FOV, you won't get near being too close i don't think.
I'd at least give it a try for 30 minutes and see how you get on. Personally i much prefer being that close, it feels more natural as well as immersive.
I think your advice is spot on. I have a 47” TV as well. I play in cockpit view and I have the TV lowered so the I can look straight out of the windshield without having to look upwards. At first I had the TV right at the base of my CSL elite and while the immersion was fantastic I did find myself getting headaches after about 30 minutes. Moving it back to where it lines up roughly with my ankles was the sweet spot between immersion and mild eye strain.

I think your advice is spot on. I have a 47” TV as well. I play in cockpit view and I have the TV lowered so the I can look straight out of the windshield without having to look upwards. At first I had the TV right at the base of my CSL elite and while the immersion was fantastic I did find myself getting headaches after about 30 minutes. Moving it back to where it lines up roughly with my ankles was the sweet spot between immersion and mild eye strain.
Originally i too wanted to have the TV at the wheelbase but couldn't find a way with the playseat challenge.
Now, i think that might feel unnaturally close to my face, even if it does give a better immersion, and anyway I'm used to it at ankle distance now and have never suffered from eye strain, which i hadn't really considered before but sometimes i do get bad headaches looking at computer screens so on your advice I'm happy to leave it where it is 👍

i-pxzBTbR-L.jpg

In regards to distance:
My TV is 75in (diagnonal) or 66in wide.
My steering wheel is 34in from the TV.
My eyes are 52in from the TV.

No matter what the POV calculator says, i think my setup is fantastic, because effectively, when driving you only look at the center portion of the screen and everything else is peripheral. The smaller the TV, the smaller the effective portion... the bigger the TV, the larger the effective portion, so it helps a lot to see more of what you need to see.
This makes for a relatively immersive experience...

i-gHQtWrh-L.jpg

This setup for me has been a long time coming! And finally after all this time, i have just recently (this week) been able to come to this point.

You can find at the link below the details of how this racing simulator setup build came about:
Post your GT5 set up and man cave

Original Setup:
PS3
DFGT
50in plasma

New Setup:
PS4
G29 with H-pattern shifter
75in LED

This is the Original Rig together with the 75in:
i-wLtMxN7-L.jpg

i-MCDGbTH-L.jpg

i-sL85gFc-L.jpg

Transition to the new setup

i-jbwPJsN-L.jpg

i actually have it much closer, practically up to the cabinet, but this photo is only to show the rig itself.

i-cNLjgZc-L.jpg

i-dpjmWB4-L.jpg

i-zrts7RJ-L.jpg

i-R9C5qfP-L.jpg

i-8snvJzX-L.jpg

i-8SSGMxr-L.jpg

i-KQffzG2-L.jpg

i-tMgG8Mn-L.jpg

Driving Point of view:
i-gXxCxXc-L.jpg

i-gpwvkJQ-L.jpg

i-966BtgM-L.jpg

i-vvgf6GQ-L.jpg

I've been thinking about moving it closer but it's a 50 inch TV. Wouldn't that be too close?

Last edited:
CTznOfTime very cool.

My initial thoughts on keeping it farther away was that the quality will diminish the closer you get. For example a standard definition image on a 40 inch tv will look good from a certain distance but the closer you get it looks terrible. Same with 1080p on a certain size of TV at a certain distance it will start to look not as good at some point. I don't know exactly what that distance is but I had a smaller 720p plasma TV before this one and at the same distance as in my pic. Any closer was pointless as the image just wasn't good enough and the distance just felt natural anyway, just like the same distance I have sat all my life from a TV to watch anything. It was a very good 720p plasma right enough and I had it for 10 years not even knowing it wasn't 1080p! My sister had chose it for me back then.

I've moved my seat slightly closer but I only by about 50cm. I won't move the TV any closer as it will look untidy I think. I would actually like to wall mount the TV.

Transition to the new setup
i-jbwPJsN-L.jpg
Nice setup, I like the simplicity of it. What kind of plastic is it you use in your rig, is it PVC or similar?, and I was thinking if it makes any squeak or anything like that while in action, or is it completely solid and silent?

i-R9C5qfP-L.jpg

Nice setup, I like the simplicity of it. What kind of plastic is it you use in your rig, is it PVC or similar?, and I was thinking if it makes any squeak or anything like that while in action, or is it completely solid and silent?

It is completely silent and tight solid while in action. In fact, just the other night around midnight, i was playing F1 2019, and the wife angrily came out to the living room asking what is making all this noise.... it was the FFB turned up to 11, but nothing to do with the rig itself.

The only time it gives out two squeak is when i sit down on the seat or stand up to get out... I think it's the squeak due to the friction of the wooden baseboard of the seat with the PVC.

It is all PVC. YOu remind me, maybe i will add 4 plastic gaskets between the seat baseboard and the PVC to prevent the squeak during ingress and outgress... but otherwise... silent and removable.

CTznOfTime very cool.

My initial thoughts on keeping it farther away was that the quality will diminish the closer you get. For example a standard definition image on a 40 inch tv will look good from a certain distance but the closer you get it looks terrible. Same with 1080p on a certain size of TV at a certain distance it will start to look not as good at some point. I don't know exactly what that distance is but I had a smaller 720p plasma TV before this one and at the same distance as in my pic. Any closer was pointless as the image just wasn't good enough and the distance just felt natural anyway, just like the same distance I have sat all my life from a TV to watch anything. It was a very good 720p plasma right enough and I had it for 10 years not even knowing it wasn't 1080p! My sister had chose it for me back then.

I've moved my seat slightly closer but I only by about 50cm. I won't move the TV any closer as it will look untidy I think. I would actually like to wall mount the TV.

You are right, It all first depends on the TV... with high resolution TVs or monitors, you can afford to sit closer...

My previous TV, which i still have, is a 720p 50in Plasma, and i am at least 60in away when i was driving...

Last edited:
i-R9C5qfP-L.jpg

It is completely silent and tight solid while in action. In fact, just the other night around midnight, i was playing F1 2019, and the wife angrily came out to the living room asking what is making all this noise.... it was the FFB turned up to 11, but nothing to do with the rig itself.

The only time it gives out two squeak is when i sit down on the seat or stand up to get out... I think it's the squeak due to the friction of the wooden baseboard of the seat with the PVC.

It is all PVC. YOu remind me, maybe i will add 4 plastic gaskets between the seat baseboard and the PVC to prevent the squeak during ingress and outgress... but otherwise... silent and removable.
Nice to hear it's tight and solid. Did you used glue to attach it together, so it will stay together in action? When FFB is turned to 11, it surly must hold.

Does it annoy you when the steering wheel in the cockpit view is offset? The original NSX is over to the left for example. I’m not sure why they’ve done this on some cars.

Yes it’d be great if you could move side to side a touch on some cars.

i-4CVMHc7-L.jpg

full

Nice to hear it's tight and solid. Did you used glue to attach it together, so it will stay together in action? When FFB is turned to 11, it surly must hold.

In Red are the connection points where i glue the pieces together, and the green points are free so that i can separate the frame into sub-assemblies when i need to put the rig/setup away.

I used the standard PVC Primer and Blue Glue:
weldon_cantote.jpg

Last edited:
In Red are the connection points where i glue the pieces together, and the green points are free so that i can separate the frame into sub-assemblies when i need to put the rig/setup away.

I used the standard PVC Primer and Blue Glue:
Ok I see, so the glue is probably a must if it is supposed to stay together in one piece. So once glued, there's no chance to disassemble it again I guess.
Your setup looks solid, compact and portable, just as I want it to be. Thanks for explanation image.

Ok I see, so the glue is probably a must if it is supposed to stay together in one piece. So once glued, there's no chance to disassemble it again I guess.
Your setup looks solid, compact and portable, just as I want it to be.

Yes it's the case where you have to measure 4 times before you commit to cutting and measure again before moving on, and the glue just seals everything together...

Completely tight.

Added a loadcell mod to my T3PA pedals today, only because there arent any TLCM pedals available right now, lol. Not much travel on this one, rated at 20KG pressure. It does work though, just going to take some getting used to. In the long run I think it will pay off. loadcellmod.com for $100 worth a try. It is made for pedals sitting on the floor, so having mine inverted created a problem of the unit being in the way right under the pedal. So I had to extend the brake pedal out and down for enough clearance.

Attachments

• KIMG0178.JPG
    KIMG0178.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 28
  • KIMG0179.JPG
    KIMG0179.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 29
  • KIMG0193.JPG
    KIMG0193.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 29
  • KIMG0187.JPG
    KIMG0187.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 27
  • KIMG0188.JPG
    KIMG0188.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Added a loadcell mod to my T3PA pedals today, only because there arent any TLCM pedals available right now, lol. Not much travel on this one, rated at 20KG pressure. It does work though, just going to take some getting used to. In the long run I think it will pay off. loadcellmod.com for $100 worth a try. It is made for pedals sitting on the floor, so having mine inverted created a problem of the unit being in the way right under the pedal. So I had to extend the brake pedal out and down for enough clearance.
UPDATE: This brake mod is awesome! Very pressure sensitive. If you push too hard then that is how hard you have to push for max brake.

Got around to buying a monitor stand with my monitor moving easily between my desk and the rig, rather than moving the rig in and out from the tv.

A8151723-496D-415E-B677-870B402419D7.jpeg

Next purchases likely to be a bigger dedicated monitor, or a buttkicker although not much stock going around of either at the moment - good for my wallet!

@Torqueflight it’s a monitor stand totally independent from my rig set up, just so happens it fits perfectly for my pedals to slide underneath it...got it off eBay View attachment 939226
Since you guys are on the subject of monitors do you know if there is an ideal size monitor for a driving rig mounted monitor? Right now I am sitting in front of a 65" TV with my eyeballs about 48" away but I would like to buy a dedicated monitor for my rig.

Since you guys are on the subject of monitors do you know if there is an ideal size monitor for a driving rig mounted monitor? Right now I am sitting in front of a 65" TV with my eyeballs about 48" away but I would like to buy a dedicated monitor for my rig.

My eyes are 23”(I think) away from a 42” screen, it’s still not close enough to match GT’s FoV though.

311FB850-F8DA-485D-98DA-A2B39FE8F10B.jpeg

Back