Sil80 / 180sx / 200sx / 240sx = What´s Optimal

• Thread starter daltonlm
  • 71 comments
It's all gray area, that's what they're saying. Technically, the 240SX in this game is not a stock car you could buy anywhere in real life. However, it is a car you could very easily make by swapping an engine & body panels from a 180SX Type-X. It's not an impossible car, but it's not realistic. Honestly, I think they were just cutting corners and didn't want to create the three different engines that this car came equipped with.

As I said, 180SX in Japan are not considered as Silvia's and they never call it S13 (even tho its the chassis code). The S in the name doesn't stand for S(chassis)13 but stand for Silvia.
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect, by the way. I've never been to Japan so I can't say for certain, but I'm almost positive they are referring to "S" for the chassis code, not for "Silvia" and that they refer to all of these cars as S13s, including 180SX and even USDM 240SX. They're all S13s. The Silvia is definitely the most popular in Japan, so if you say S13 without clarifying then people might assume you mean Silvia but it's not incorrect if it's something else.

Well, I've been in Japan few times and I know enough to assure you that they never refer to 180SX as Silvia's never ever.
In fact you don't even need to go Japan to know that, just check Doriten videos or old option videos, they refer to them as one eighty SX (with the japanese accent).
I might be wrong about the S of S13-14-15 (and even 12) standing for Silvia. But still RPS13 are not Silvia's tho I see a lot of people in Europe calling them by that name.

Well, I've been in Japan few times and I know enough to assure you that they never refer to 180SX as Silvia's never ever.
In fact you don't even need to go Japan to know that, just check Doriten videos or old option videos, they refer to them as one eighty SX (with the japanese accent).
I might be wrong about the S of S13-14-15 (and even 12) standing for Silvia. But still RPS13 are not Silvia's tho I see a lot of people in Europe calling them by that name.

Of course they don't... It's not a Silvia... It's a 180sx. The coupe version of the same chassis IS a Silvia, as well as all other S series chassis from there on out (I lived in Japan) other than the short lived production model of the Sileighty, which is essentially a 180sx with an upgraded version of the SR20DET and a Silvia front end.

Nobody here has said anything about 180sx's being called Silvias... Despite sharing a huge number of components, they have different monikers and thus are refereed to as such. The "S" series is always in reference to the chassis code, not the name "Silvia"... Not sure where you picked that up.

;)

I think the S standing for Silvia is more of a speculation made by fans of the car. I don't think Nissan ever has confirmed if this is true. But looking at some of their chassis codes, most of their cars don't have the same connection between chassis and model name.

There is only one Nissan that comes to mind that has a similar connection, and thats the Z. The newer one's at least, have the Z chassis code such as Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34. But their older models used the S30 chassis, and no that is not a Silvia chassis.

I think the S standing for Silvia is more of a speculation made by fans of the car. I don't think Nissan ever has confirmed if this is true. But looking at some of their chassis codes, most of their cars don't have the same connection between chassis and model name.

You're right. The whole S series thing is in reference to the S13/14/15 chassis code, but that's not to say that all models are going to follow suit.

There is only one Nissan that comes to mind that has a similar connection, and thats the Z. The newer one's at least, have the Z chassis code such as Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34. But their older models used the S30 chassis, and no that is not a Silvia chassis.

Indeed. Nissan likes to be confusing. If you've ever worked on an S series car (RIP One-Via :indiff:) you'll know how confusing and odd some of the parts placement is.

Sure do miss that car though....

;)

DR, what happened to it? Its expensive and hard to find good OEM parts.

Well, a few days after installing my roll cage I was driving down a local road. Stopped for construction... The guy behind me in his Scion Xa didn't. Completely totaled the car. If it wasn't for the roll cage (and 5 point harness), I probably would have died.

It was like losing a child.

;)

Oh my !

Glad youre ok :P.

I'd care more for my car then for my injury lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your Onevia, DR! You'll have to come see my Sileighty when I get it put back together :) Right now it's waiting for garage space because I need to lift the head in order to attach a new coolant line for the new turbo I'm putting in. I'm sure you know the spot I'm talking about, where there's like 1" of clearance between the head and the fire wall... Grrrr...

It's all good, guys. I'll find another S13 shell in the near future. Life goes on.

Pergatory
I'm talking about, where there's like 1" of clearance between the head and the fire wall... Grrrr...

Indeed I do. I'd love to see pics of her when you get her back together.

;)

Back