SimBin Studios Confirms GTR 3, Scheduled for 2018

• Thread starter adam46
  • 285 comments
"On console it needs to appeal to both sides"

Nonsense, if that's the case why doesn't NFS appeal to both sides? Where is it written that a sim must appeal to casuals? Obviously they just want to appeal to casuals.

It's a comment on sims, not on driving games in general.

Sims do need to appeal (even if only a bit) to both sides if there's hope for a serious commercial home-run. Like it or not, the majority of players are not going to be those with multi-hundred dollar wheels and a penchant for arguing about the optimal tire pressure. They're going to be—shock, horror—pad users looking to jump in and have fun.

It's part of what has made GT such a success: it's realistic enough for most.

First a developer is trying to bring back the TDU series and now Simbin confirming GTR3. Makes me all giddy inside. :)

With this, FM7 & PC2 there's never been a better time to abandon Sony & GT :) Project Scorpio here I come :)

Edit: I may finally upgrade the old PC.

I like how people are complaining about how they're going to neuter the realism for the sake of appeasing to a mass/console audience. GTR2 was one of the easiest games for me to race with game pad controls. Both vanilla and mods.

I'm hoping and praying that this isn't as sterile as Project CARS or Assetto Corsa on consoles. Knowing SimBin, they might actually nail the single-player simulation aspect. GTR2's AI was fantastic, I hope they can expand on it, it's unlike the brain-dead Assetto Corsa AI or the cheating maniacal AI of Project CARS.

Nonsense, if that's the case why doesn't NFS appeal to both sides? Where is it written that a sim must appeal to casuals? Obviously they just want to appeal to casuals.

A full on sim with optional assists. I don't see a problem with this.

GTR2 was one of the easiest games for me to race with game pad controls. Both vanilla and mods.
I play GTR2 with a Xbox360 controller, the default controller setup is pretty good. No need to dumb down the game for console/controller imo, just make sure the default setup is intuitive.

There's already an existing thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtr3-by-simbin-pc-ps4-xb1-coming-2018.353377/

EDIT and another one here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-future-the-return-of-gtr-coming-2018.350405/

Mods can we please merge? This whole GTP News integration thing is cluttering up the forums with so much redundant threads. Maybe @GTPNewsWire should have a look in the actual forums to see if a thread has already been made, instead of just automatically generating one?

Last edited:
I think it's dumb to call PS4 racers "casual racers".
Casual? I'm not even an example of daily commitment but racing with 3 different series I put down easily 14 to 18 hours per week between practicing, testing, tuning and racing.
I have people on my friends list that make my commitment blush in shame!
Casual?
It's about time for the sim racing community to stop this nonsense that the pc people are the pros and we, the poor little insignificant casual Playstation losers are the embarrassing side of the coin.

It's a comment on sims, not on driving games in general.

Sims do need to appeal (even if only a bit) to both sides if there's hope for a serious commercial home-run. Like it or not, the majority of players are not going to be those with multi-hundred dollar wheels and a penchant for arguing about the optimal tire pressure. They're going to be—shock, horror—pad users looking to jump in and have fun.

It's part of what has made GT such a success: it's realistic enough for most.

Exactly, and it's one of my biggest gripes when it comes to people who are balls deep into sim racing. The fact that if you don't have a full racing set up and tune your car to the minutiae details makes you a casual pleb. It's dick waving at best.

I love racing games, and sims too, but I have used a pad for forever, and that ain't going to change. You wanna know why? Because in the houses and rooms I have been in, I haven't had enough room to splurge for at the least, a table and a decent wheel. So I use a pad, and I enjoy it.

There's a reason why I really hate talking about sim racing on the internet, especially places like GTPlanet: People who have been so deep into it they abhor people who might actually be getting into sims for the first time, or they only play Forza/GT. Guess what? Deal with it. Gaming market especially in this day and age is sink or swim, and you better be swimming already by the time you hit the water. You need the casual player as well as the hardcore.

Wow! this new Generation of Consoles are getting so many Racing Simulators, Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo Sport and now GTR3, Now that i will have a PS4 i can be happy. :-)

Wow! this new Generation of Consoles are getting so many Racing Simulators, Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo Sport and now GTR3, Now that i will have a PS4 i can be happy. :-)
Sim racing simulator and Granturismo on the same sentence...

Sim racing simulator and Granturismo on the same sentence...
OK, I admit GT is not a true Racing Sim, but atleast it does have some Racing Sim ''feels'' but not like those hardcore sim like Pcars or Assetto Corsa, just my opinion.

There's already an existing thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtr3-by-simbin-pc-ps4-xb1-coming-2018.353377/

EDIT and another one here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-future-the-return-of-gtr-coming-2018.350405/

Mods can we please merge? This whole GTP News integration thing is cluttering up the forums with so much redundant threads. Maybe @GTPNewsWire should have a look in the actual forums to see if a thread has already been made, instead of just automatically generating one?

That's probably my fault - I merely searched for GTR3 before creating my thread, meaning I missed the @rallymorten thread, and beat the GTP News thread to the punch.

Apologies.

OK, I admit GT is not a true Racing Sim, but atleast it does have some Racing Sim ''feels'' but not like those hardcore sim like Pcars or Assetto Corsa, just my opinion.
only Assetto Corsa is a hardcore sim...
PCars and GT are simcades so they are half way between a real simulation (AC, rF, iR, and so on) and a arcade (NfS,RR,The Crew, and so on)...
however PCars and GT are good Racing games, They are just less simulating compared to AC that is bynow the only true simulation on consoles untilthis GTR3 will come ofc (if they dont do a watered down simcade for X1)...

You make me laugh.
How can AC be a hardcore sim and PCARS not, when PCARS simulates more than AC does?
Exactly. Project CARS has weather, (and dynamic at that) change of time and various other things that AC doesn't. Yes, AC may have a more complete driving simulation but that's it.

All the answers are here : http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr-3-by-simbin-coming-in-2018.131230/ ;)

But to make it fast:
- No, it's developed on Unreal Engine 4
- SimBin and Sector3 are partenering/working together

Unreal engine + R3E sounds = massive win for everyone. This game could be epic for sim racers.

Zakspeed Capri
Chevrolet Corvette
Real vs. Game

Great. Hope RRE driving characteristics will better as good if not better than RRE. Sector 3 did a lot of improvements to driving physics over the past few years with the title which I'm really enjoying. Apart from the outdated graphics I hope the tracks can be better modelled and better colour tone.

You make me laugh.
How can AC be a hardcore sim and PCARS not, when PCARS simulates more than AC does?
It doesnt matter if PCars has rain and night if the physics of those features and the cars Too are less accurate...
PCars is a simcade cause it has a less realistic physics...

Project CARS is in no way a perfect racing game, the driving aspect of it still needs a lot of work. Weight transfer still leaves a lot to be desired, and is something Assetto Corsa does far better. For example, kerb attacks are very muted in Project CARS, with there being little difference in the suspension behaviour between road cars and race cars.
Crests are also quite poorly done, and you don't get the same "take-off" effect as you do in Assetto Corsa.

However, somebody who doesn't observe these technicalities will see that Project CARS still properly recreates the motorsport environment, which is absent in Assetto Corsa. Setups are much less of a hassle over a racing weekend in Project CARS, and it is generally less frustrating to quickly strategise, like in the final minutes of qualifying.

Overall, both games fall short, not of the simulation experience, but of the game experience. Which is what Gran Turismo will always excel in. I just hope SimBin can observe and not just make a great simulator, but a great game.

Last edited:
Project CARS is in no way a perfect racing game, the simulation aspect of it still needs a lot of work. Weight transfer still leaves a lot to be desired, and is something Assetto Corsa does far better. For example, kerb attacks are very muted in Project CARS, with there being little difference in the suspension behaviour between road cars and race cars.
Crests are also quite poorly done, and you don't get the same "take-off" effect as you do in Assetto Corsa.

However, somebody who doesn't observe these technicalities will see that Project CARS still properly recreates the motorsport environment, which is absent in Assetto Corsa. Setups are much less of a hassle over a racing weekend in Project CARS, and it is generally less frustrating to quickly strategise, like in the final minutes of qualifying.

Overall, both games fall short, not of the simulation experience, but of the game experience. Which is what Gran Turismo will always excel in. I just hope SimBin can observe and not just make a great simulator, but a great game.
Which part of the racing game experience on the track does GT excel at exactly vs. PCars or even AC?

Which part of the racing game experience on the track does GT excel at exactly vs. PCars or even AC?
The pick a car, win a race, win some credits and buy a car bit. Oh and get the car delivered in a cool animation with sound! Which gets old really fast.

Project Cars is more complete. Weather variations that actually feel perfect, an overload of car and FFB settings, a way larger amount of tracks and cars to choose. Also better on line options, private rooms and so on. On this terms, it's fair to say that project cars is far beyond Assetto but... if we're talking SIM... Well, this is obviously my very personal opinion which a lot of my friends share but Assetto is tremendously better than Project Cars. Actually I hear a lot of people saying, just like me, that after a few hours on AC they can't drive properly on PCars.
I don't even know how to technically explain the difference but AC feels absolutely real and in PCARS I still feel a bit like that GT6 slippery and weight transfer weirdness that makes you feel that there's something still missing there.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter if PCars has rain and night if the physics of those features and the cars Too are less accurate...
PCars is a simcade cause it has a less realistic physics...

This sort of sliding scale of simulation is easily one of the worst aspects of the sim-racing community.

Assetto Corsa is a simulator.
Project CARS is a simulator.
Gran Turismo is a simulator.
Forza Motorsport is a simulator.

Just because you deem one less realistic than another does not invalidate it. By your logic ("PCARS is quote-unquote simcade because it isn't as realistic as AC") that means AC loses that title as soon as you compare it to a more realistic game (which, from what I gather, does exist on PC).

They're both sims, and this us-vs-them attitude some folks exhibit is detrimental to the community. Not a positive.

Number of cars, the possibility of tuning and power it up, paint it, take pics, create communities, total freedom on room set up, no vote needed to kick out a moron, good replay sistema and still the best game to create a league at its full.
Too bad it is and will keep being an arcade.

This sort of sliding scale of simulation is easily one of the worst aspects of the sim-racing community.

Assetto Corsa is a simulator.
Project CARS is a simulator.
Gran Turismo is a simulator.
Forza Motorsport is a simulator.

Just because you deem one less realistic than another does not invalidate it. By your logic ("PCARS is quote-unquote simcade because it isn't as realistic as AC") that means AC loses that title as soon as you compare it to a more realistic game (which, from what I gather, does exist on PC).

They're both sims, and this us-vs-them attitude some folks exhibit is detrimental to the community. Not a positive.

Thank you for proving my point. All the sim racing community is nowadays is tribe warfare, participating in dick measuring contests so they can feel better about their choices.

All the games listed are sims. Full stop. Anybody trying to say otherwise is just being obtuse at best.

Number of cars, the possibility of tuning and power it up, paint it, take pics, create communities, total freedom on room set up, no vote needed to kick out a moron, good replay sistema and still the best game to create a league at its full.
Too bad it is and will keep being an arcade.
All true, but only a couple of those are on track.

Back