SimBin Studios Confirms GTR 3, Scheduled for 2018

• Thread starter adam46
  • 285 comments
I wonder how many people singing the praises of laser scanning also do a similar thing with regards to third-party mod tracks in games like AC.

Nothing against laser scanning: it's definitely a positive in the genre. But IMO, there's room for well-made, realistic fantasy circuits (or well-done recreations of real ones), especially as the genre is now saturated with a lot of the same circuits. Oh, your game has Silverstone and Spa? Wow, what a USP!

Is a track that's not laser-scanned as accurate? Nope. But it can be very, very close.

On consoles, PCARS' track lineup is a huge selling point IMO. AC has very little (laser-scanned tracks) to offer that I haven't experienced elsewhere; a few small Italian circuits, and the tourist layout of the 'Ring. Admittedly, that's fun for when I want to play virtual track day, but it's a novelty. Though at least it's a novelty that required minimal changes to an actual race-ready circuit (looking at you, Goodwood in GT6).

I wonder how many people singing the praises of laser scanning also do a similar thing with regards to third-party mod tracks in games like AC.
Personally I don't care much if tracks are laser scanned or not as long as they are accurate.
AC on console is a letdown when it comes to track selection, but the PC version is good in terms of tracks (better than PCars imo) because of mods. I know there's people that will argue about the quality of some user made tracks in AC and in other games but I think allowing mods is a great way of improving the game's content and replay value.
GTR3 having laser scanned tracks would be great but if it doesn't it won't bother me that much as long as the official tracks are accurate and there's mod support.

FS7
Personally I don't care much if tracks are laser scanned or not as long as they are accurate.
AC on console is a letdown when it comes to track selection, but the PC version is good in terms of tracks (better than PCars imo) because of mods. I know there's people that will argue about the quality of some user made tracks in AC and in other games but I think allowing mods is a great way of improving the game's content and replay value.
GTR3 having laser scanned tracks would be great but if it doesn't it won't bother me that much as long as the official tracks are accurate and there's mod support.
There won't be Mod support unless they laser scan the tracks. They'd be in the same situation as Kunos. They can't sell non laser scanned tracks to boost the track count because not enough people would buy what you can get as a mod for free.

Quite interesting to hear everyone's take on what makes a simulation & who prefers what.

On PS4 so far I love the feel of AC, then graphics & scale of Project Cars. For that reason I do prefer AC but can see why some are different.

It's just great that there's suddenly so many Sims/Simcades to choose from just now. Not to mention PSVR Rally which I'm buzzing about.

If only we could see the drought of decent Arcade racers addressed I'd be happy. I know it's not maybe the best place to say so but you know.. Just saying!

I'm a bit worried about this game using the Unreal engine. Maybe someone with more game development know-how can chip in, but from what I know the game engine not just governs the graphics but also the physics and how objects interact within the game world. Now if you look at the list of games powered by UE4, it's not exactly well populated with racing sims (or even decent racing games for that matter): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Sure it's a versatile and good looking engine. But for the purposes of sim racing with all of its subtle technicalities you need a dedicated physics engine. Not just any plug and play engine. Look at the NFS series with Frostbite as an example. A good looking versatile engine used in many other games - can you make a racing game using it? Of course. Does it handle well? Not in the slightest.

Now if Simbin can just use UE4 for its graphical capabilities and somehow mash RRRE's ISImotor underpinnings for the physics part, I'm all in. Otherwise, I think it would be wise to temper our collective expectations about this game.

I'm a bit worried about this game using the Unreal engine. Maybe someone with more game development know-how can chip in, but from what I know the game engine not just governs the graphics but also the physics and how objects interact within the game world. Now if you look at the list of games powered by UE4, it's not exactly well populated with racing sims (or even decent racing games for that matter):

Sure it's a versatile and good looking engine. But for the purposes of sim racing with all of its subtle technicalities you need a dedicated physics engine. Not just any plug and play engine. Look at the NFS series with Frostbite as an example. A good looking versatile engine used in many other games - can you make a racing game using it? Of course. Does it handle well? Not in the slightest.

Now if Simbin can just use UE4 for its graphical capabilities and somehow mash RRRE's ISImotor underpinnings for the physics part, I'm all in. Otherwise, I think it would be wise to temper our collective expectations about this game.

PRC.net, for as much as I hate them, brought up this entire point wholesale. UE4, as it stands, isn't really built for sim racing in the slightest, or even any sort of driving which is the main focus in a racing game, yet Simbin is trying to pin their entire future on it? Something smells. Pretty bad.

Last edited:
PRC.net, for as much as I hate them, brought up this entire point wholesale. UE4, as it stands, isn't really built for sim racing in the slightest, or even any sort of driving which is the main focus in a racing game, yet Simbin is trying to pin their entire future on it? Something smells. Pretty bad.
Don't get me started on racing games that uses the Unreal Engine. You can find a ton of UE powered racing games on Steam and all them sucked. Here's one game that uses the UE engine and it sucked badly.

As it's been stated in the Race Department articles, this is the plan, so no need to worry at all, physics and FFB should be at least similar to R3E or even superior ;)

I'm a bit worried about this game using the Unreal engine. Maybe someone with more game development know-how can chip in, but from what I know the game engine not just governs the graphics but also the physics and how objects interact within the game world. Now if you look at the list of games powered by UE4, it's not exactly well populated with racing sims (or even decent racing games for that matter):

Don't get me started on racing games that uses the Unreal Engine. You can find a ton of UE powered racing games on Steam and all them sucked. Here's one game that uses the UE engine and it sucked badly.

I'm not at all too concern at this stage. Game engines are great to speed game development up while providing robust platform that studios can build upon. I personally do not have any game development background but working knowledge on web development so my understanding on using frameworks/libraries are quite extensive.

To some extent, worrying about Simbin using UE4 based on other games is like worrying that it's going to have poor performance simply because it's on DX12. (where some games are pretty terrible at it while others are fantastic)

I'm quite confident there'll be some substantial amount of work on the physics side of things build on top of UE4. However the benefits of using UE4 will save them tremendous amount of work that allow them to work on if not improve the physics and various other things which they otherwise have to build from scratch.

Sector3/Simbin move to UE4 should be seen as wise decision to help them catch up to their competiors, going into consoles, etc. And as a fan, I just can't wait.

Last edited:
I'm not at all too concern at this stage. Game engines are great to speed game development up while providing robust platform that studios can build upon. I personally do not have any game development background but working knowledge on web development so my understanding on using frameworks/libraries are quite extensive.

To some extent, worrying about Simbin using UE4 based on other games is like worrying that it's going to have poor performance simply because it's on DX12. (where some games are pretty terrible at it while others are fantastic)

I'm quite confident there'll be some substantial amount of work on the physics side of things build on top of UE4. However the benefits of using UE4 will save them tremendous amount of work that allow them to work on if not improve the physics and various other things which they otherwise have to build from scratch.

Sector3/Simbin move to UE4 should be seen as wise decision to help them catch up to their competiors, going into consoles, etc. And as a fan, I just can't wait.

There's no doubt about it that compared to other engines, UE4 has fantastic documentation. It's the reason why it is becoming one of the most well used engines this generation.

But there's a reason why there are so few racing games released on it. Lets take a look at the PRC article, shall we?

https://pretendracecars.net/2017/02/21/unreal-promises/

Despite this obvious red flag of developers unable to harness the power of Unreal 4 to create a captivating racing game, as well as the engine’s complete lack of history producing racing-oriented titles to the point where developers are using the engine to create anything but racing games, Sector 3 Studios, as well as SimBin UK, have decided that this engine is the future of their ultra-hardcore racing simulators, dropping an engine which was specifically built to function as a race car simulator in the process.

Simbin is using an engine that has no real experience making an arcade racing game, nonetheless a ultra-hardcore racing simulation. In fact, most of the time, driving models for UE4 is oftentimes used when driving is a ancillary gameplay component, like driving in an open-world game. And you expect that UE4 is going to handle the load that will be put onto it via tire models, fully functioning damage and the like? Come on bud, you're not fooling anybody.

There's a reason why any sim racing developer worth their salt is using their own proprietary engine for their racing sims, because it is the only one that can handle the load and stuff needed to replicate the experience in any worthwhile way. Unreal Engine 4 cannot offer that.

From the same article, it explains why this seems so fishy:

Though we’re obviously not privy to all the inner-workings that would undoubtedly help flesh out the conclusion a story like this, one thing we do know for certain is that ISI’s baby, rFactor 2, is now living comfortably under Studio 397 banner, with Marcel Offermans and Luminis in charge of the project to a certain degree. I’m under the impression that there was more to this deal than most originally thought, as it’s extremely suspicious that after Sector 3 and SimBin have spent over a decade using the isiMotor engine in all of their software, merely months after rFactor 2 has changed hands and there’s been a shakeup of sorts at ISI, one of the main developers powered by ISI simulator technology is suddenly expressing their desire to jump ship to a first person shooter engine. The timing of that is a little too impeccable to be a coincidence.

You do not develop hardcore auto racing simulations for over a decade using a purpose-built auto racing engine, only to suddenly abandon everything except your physical assets and run to an engine that quite frankly has no purpose creating racing games let alone simulators, while struggling to explain the benefits this new engine will provide your upcoming games. This is sketchy as ****, and I’m disappointed I’m the only one pointing this all out.

Again, why is it that after using a purpose built engine, granted one that was getting long in the tooth, but none the less a purpose built engine which can handle this sort of stuff, is being pushed aside for one that has no real experience powering games in the genre, nonetheless stuff as complex as GTR3 will be?

Game engines like this do a lot for developers but what they DON'T do is write your code for you. If a SIM developer wants their game on UE4 they still have to come up with the physics themselves.

There's nothing to worry about here.

Kunos are considering UE4 for AC2. They haven't decided yet though.

Interesting thoughts guys. I'm a complete noob when it comes to programming and I always thought physics is tied to the game engine. Sure you can copy paste but NFS running on Frostbite will never have the same physics as ISImotor (for example).

I hope what you all are saying about UE4 being flexible and able to accomodate RRRE's physics is true. I'm really hoping GTR3 will bring back the magic of GTR that we all know and love 👍

There's no doubt about it that compared to other engines, UE4 has fantastic documentation. It's the reason why it is becoming one of the most well used engines this generation.

But there's a reason why there are so few racing games released on it. Lets take a look at the PRC article, shall we?

https://pretendracecars.net/2017/02/21/unreal-promises/

Simbin is using an engine that has no real experience making an arcade racing game, nonetheless a ultra-hardcore racing simulation. In fact, most of the time, driving models for UE4 is oftentimes used when driving is a ancillary gameplay component, like driving in an open-world game. And you expect that UE4 is going to handle the load that will be put onto it via tire models, fully functioning damage and the like? Come on bud, you're not fooling anybody.

There's a reason why any sim racing developer worth their salt is using their own proprietary engine for their racing sims, because it is the only one that can handle the load and stuff needed to replicate the experience in any worthwhile way. Unreal Engine 4 cannot offer that.

From the same article, it explains why this seems so fishy:

Again, why is it that after using a purpose built engine, granted one that was getting long in the tooth, but none the less a purpose built engine which can handle this sort of stuff, is being pushed aside for one that has no real experience powering games in the genre, nonetheless stuff as complex as GTR3 will be?

Sorry but I have more faith in Sector3 knowing what they're doing and game development than the author of that article.

We'll all find out in due course whether they'll succeed in implementing UE4 with their own custom physics model. And reiterate my trust that they have tested and researched before making such core decision.

Does anybody has any new news about GTR3 and when it will be released? I heard it will be released in 2018 but so much silence made me worried.

Does anybody has any new news about GTR3 and when it will be released? I heard it will be released in 2018 but so much silence made me worried.

With Assetto Corsa Competizione getting the Blancpain license I doubt GTR3 will ever see the light of day. It was going to be an FIA GT game but that series no longer exists. It was also going to use Unreal Engine, like ACC. I think the fact that ACC is basically going to be everything that SimBin promised for GTR3 means that it will never appear or need to be morphed into something else. I doubt two single-series endurance GT sims could coexist successfully, especially since Kunos is now owned by 505 Games, has publisher backing and actually has something that is about to be released in early access. The latest we know from SimBin is that they were looking for programmers in March...

With Assetto Corsa Competizione getting the Blancpain license I doubt GTR3 will ever see the light of day. It was going to be an FIA GT game but that series no longer exists. It was also going to use Unreal Engine, like ACC. I think the fact that ACC is basically going to be everything that SimBin promised for GTR3 means that it will never appear or need to be morphed into something else. I doubt two single-series endurance GT sims could coexist successfully, especially since Kunos is now owned by 505 Games, has publisher backing and actually has something that is about to be released in early access. The latest we know from SimBin is that they were looking for programmers in March...

Thanks for your answer. I have the same feeling that GTR3 never will be released. Being a bit quiet is good but being silence for a long time now is not a good sign.

minorer.png

So that's where the illusive license went.

As I've said previously, I was told many months ago that the CAD data for the 2017 Toyota TS050-HYBRID was sent to a games developer. I had assumed it would be Forza 7 as it has the 2017 Porsche 919 Hybrid but perhaps it was for GTR3.

Possible dream sim title incoming...

Back