SimBin Studios Confirms GTR 3, Scheduled for 2018

• Thread starter adam46
  • 285 comments
Which part of the racing game experience on the track does GT excel at exactly vs. PCars or even AC?

Remember, I said "game experience" not "simulation experience" when referring to Gran Turismo. If I were to talk about "simulation experience", I would've mentioned how it fares in those aforementioned situations vs. Project CARS or Assetto Corsa.

Remember, I said "game experience" not "simulation experience" when referring to Gran Turismo. If I were to talk about "simulation experience", I would've mentioned how it fares in those aforementioned situations vs. Project CARS or Assetto Corsa.

The latest Gran Turismos haven't nailed the "game experience" either, especially the single player aspect with a shoddy career mode and disgraceful AI.

The latest Gran Turismos haven't nailed the "game experience" either, especially the single player aspect with a shoddy career mode and disgraceful AI.
True, but there is still more of a sense of progression in Gran Turismo, than in either Project CARS or Assetto Corsa.

Cool story bro, but I didn't mention "simulation experience" so I don't know why it's in quotes. I said,
Which part of the racing game experience on the track does GT excel at exactly vs. PCars or even AC?
I said "on track" for a reason, because I concede that off track, meaning customization, upgrading, building a garage etc. is obviously better in GT because neither of the other 2 have any of those things. I would assume most of us spend our game time on the track however, so how is that part of the GT game experience better than PCars or AC? AI ability, qualifying, setting up a race weekend, the number of options and features for setting up races with the AI etc.

True, but there is still more of a sense of progression in Gran Turismo, than in either Project CARS or Assetto Corsa.
You can obviously see the progression in Project CARS career mode. You go from Tier 8 and go to Tier 1. Or do whatever you like.

You can obviously see the progression in Project CARS career mode. You go from Tier 8 and go to Tier 1. Or do whatever you like.

Exactly, and it's more noticeable then GT because you're going up various classes. From Formula Ford to GT, to LMP or even F1. Natural progression, or rather, a good approximation of motorsport progression.

Like, what do you guys want in a sim racer? The sort of class based racing, with the car-PG style progression and collection found in GT and Forza? Do you want a bare bones game, or all the trimmings?

There's so much noise when it comes to what each section of the sim racing community wants. There doesn't need to be, considering we have so many options now, even compared to the early 2000's on consoles even, where the only games in town were GT and the TOCA series.

Like, what do you guys want in a sim racer? The sort of class based racing, with the car-PG style progression and collection found in GT and Forza? Do you want a bare bones game, or all the trimmings?

Anyone who wants the barebones game done well is far too pessimistic even for my tastes. There are plenty of games that get the absolute minimum done well yet don't offer much else on circuit for long term playability. Any human being should want all the trimmings. That's why we're here discussing about a racing sim and are disappointed when something is pointed out as an ambition and not replicated in game. I'm the same way about Project CARS in some areas. E.g. Multiclass.

What I want from a racing sim is a good group of race cars whether that's rally, rallyX, GT, open wheel or whatever else on a variety of circuits in a variety of conditions and to be able to race either with online lobbies or actual people.

In an ideal world, we'd have all of those in a variety of games and they'll all be like this. But licensing exists.

I would assume most of us spend our game time on the track however, so how is that part of the GT game experience better than PCars or AC? AI ability, qualifying, setting up a race weekend, the number of options and features for setting up races with the AI etc.
And once again, how Gran Turismo handles on the track compared to those other two games has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Are you throwing a spanner in the works by implying that I should include Gran Turismo in the comparison of vehicle suspension transfer? Because it would be irrelevant knowing that we all know what the Gran Turismo physics engine is or isn't capable of. I might have slightly mislead you by singling out Gran Turismo, because Forza Motorsport also has the game experience nailed. The core of my argument was that it is my wish to see GTR3 feature a similar sense of progression to what Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport and the original GRID has at the moment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Any game that tries to be a simulator is a simulator. It can be a poor simulator, or one that only simulates specific things. "Simcade" is best left for games that truly blur the line, making no honest attempt at authenticity, but possessing more depth and weighty handling compared to a traditional arcade-style racing game.

When one sim has very accurate handling dynamics but no details like tire wear/temperature, fuel usage, variable ambient conditions, damage and mechanical wear, etc...while another sim features a whole bunch of details but has flaws in its handling dynamics, how do you draw the line? Is the first one simcade because it glosses over details, or is the second one simcade because its handling isn't convincing?

Some people consider motorsports features like pitstops, flags, and a race weekend format to be necessary components of a sim. Other people prioritize oversteer physics because they like drifting, but most sims fall apart when you push them out of their comfort zone like that. Some people think Live for Speed isn't a simulator because almost all of its cars are fictional.

This is why it's worth analyzing and comparing sims, but calling one "simcade" is not very descriptive, and not necessarily justified by any one aspect of the sim.

And once again, how Gran Turismo handles on the track compared to those other two games has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Are you throwing a spanner in the works by implying that I should include Gran Turismo in the comparison of vehicle suspension transfer? Because it would be irrelevant knowing that we all know what the Gran Turismo physics engine is or isn't capable of. I might have slightly mislead you by singling out Gran Turismo, because Forza Motorsport also has the game experience nailed. The core of my argument was that it is my wish to see GTR3 feature a similar sense of progression to what Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport and the original GRID has at the moment. Nothing more, nothing less.
Your reading comprehension is lacking. I didn't say anything about handling on the track. In fact, I laid out exactly what I was talking about. The proficiency of the AI, the ability to qualify and setup race weekends etc. The overall ability of the game to make you feel like you are immersed in a real racing environment. You know, all the things that are part of a superior racing game experience, on the track.

Note: For the third or fourth time, I haven't mentioned physics. At all.

In fact, I laid out exactly what I was talking about. The proficiency of the AI, the ability to qualify and setup race weekends etc. The overall ability of the game to make you feel like you are immersed in a real racing environment. You know, all the things that are part of a superior racing game experience, on the track.

Note: For the third or fourth time, I haven't mentioned physics. At all.
You're right. I misunderstood. I suppose I was jumping the gun when it came to quickly heaping praise on what Gran Turismo does in that regard, when the first part of that post made me look like I ended up comparing features in those games which don't even exist in the other ones. I didn't mean to say that GTR3 should be like Gran Turismo and not like Assetto Corsa or Project CARS, when it comes to the areas you mentioned.

Can't wait for the "demo/alpha" release....would really like to get the first taste of the game.
There are so many great sim racing games out there so i tend to enjoy them for what they offer (you simply can't have it all and i'm fine with that) so i've no huge expectations and i am not looking for the ultimate sim racing game either.
Off to some R3E, AMS & AC action...
Cheers.

I wonder if they plan to include any laser scanned tracks. After driving mostly laser scanned tracks in AC, it'd be tough going backwards.

I've never tried GTR.

Physics wise, what does it compare to?

Were there decent career/online in previous GTRs?

XXI
I've never tried GTR.

Physics wise, what does it compare to?

Were there decent career/online in previous GTRs?
From Steam. This will give you an idea of what the GTR2 was about:

Key Features
  • Realism has been redefined: Authentic physics, dynamic day and weather changes as well as an impressive damage model
  • Great variety: Grand touring cars reproduced down to the last detail including all vehicles of the GT and NGT classes and the 24H races from two FIA GT seasons
  • Original circuits: 34 different track variations
  • Tough competition: Human-like AI opponents
  • Scalable levels: 3 different game modes (Novice, Semi-Pro and Simulation)
  • Great fun: 6 game events (Open practice, Race weekend, – Championships, Time trials, 24 Hour Races, Driving school)
  • International competition: Fully integrated multiplayer mode for racing against other human drivers from all over the world.
Keep in mind that's more than a decade ago and would be quite an amazing feature list in any current game.

That latest image of the Z4 GT3, the ICE-sponsored one getting bathed in sunlight...

While pretty, there is some serious mexi-poke going on with that cars 'stance', but only that one, what gives?

And no, the car cornering is not enough force to do that. :lol:

That latest image of the Z4 GT3, the ICE-sponsored one getting bathed in sunlight...

While pretty, there is some serious mexi-poke going on with that cars 'stance', but only that one, what gives?

And no, the car cornering is not enough force to do that. :lol:

I never noticed that until you pointed it out. The only explanation I can come up with, other than the obvious WIP quip, is the body could be serving as a testbed for another, hence the track?

I never noticed that until you pointed it out. The only explanation I can come up with, other than the obvious WIP quip, is the body could be serving as a testbed for another, hence the track?

Yeah, I know it's WIP, so I'm not too worried about it (especially with 2018 still far off), just saw it was the only Z4 image released to show it. I can't imagine what it'd be a test-bed for though?, Z4 didn't grow too much I think width wise, not like 12C-GT3 to 650S-GT3 at least.

Maybe it's just an anomaly. :confused:

Likely just that. They're supposedly using RaceRoom models, tracks and cars for now, as they get to grips with the Unreal 4 engine.

I'm hoping for something like the Driving School from GTR2...

I really wanna try it but haven't really had a computer available lately.

Happy-Kitten-Meme-02.png

I wonder if they plan to include any laser scanned tracks. After driving mostly laser scanned tracks in AC, it'd be tough going backwards.
Not if they are using Raceroom tracks. The 'Ring is the only track laser scanned in that to the best of my knowledge.

Laser scanning should be the default for any driving game with any pretence of realism.

Not if they are using Raceroom tracks. The 'Ring is the only track laser scanned in that to the best of my knowledge.

Laser scanning should be the default for any driving game with any pretence of realism.
But AC has a clear relative lack of circuits in total. What's the point of having all scanned if you're not going to have many?

But AC has a clear relative lack of circuits in total. What's the point of having all scanned if you're not going to have many?

Well, there's always a balance of quality/quantity. AC has added some since release, and Laguna/Scotland are coming this year.

Laser-scanning does make a difference, I'd certainly rather a focus on quality than the likes of Special Stage Route 7 or the Moon (that'd be expensive to laser-scan), as an example.

The BIG number is Always a good thing to sell something (look my phone with 5" screen has 4K resolution!) but if you don't vive good quality in return as well it's a weapon against yourself...
Look GT 5/6 with over 1K cars but the number was acheived recycling models from PS2/PSP version of the game and inflating the count making every livery of a racing car a different model...

Maybe it's better to have just one Ferrari 488 GT3 with 10 liveries than saying i have 10 cars in my game and it's just the clome of the same car with just different livery...

Back