Single Malt

• Thread starter roamer2629
  • 58 comments
I've not tried Yamazaki, but I have to admit the Japanese whiskeys I've tried have been very good.

I was a bit dismissive of them at first, but then someone bought me a bottle and i was converted.

The 10 year Yamazaki is cheap enough to experiment with, and is pretty good too. Track down a bottle. You might be surprised.

^ After reading this thread and the post above I got my hands on a bottle of Yamazaki 10 yrs. And it is damn good I must admit... Gets better with every sip you take. At first it seems kind of soft and bland and then BAM! the flavours come through. Is the 12 yrs even better? I was looking into getting that one as well now. :D:tup:

Last edited:
^ After reading this thread and the post above I got my hands on a bottle of Yamazaki 10 yrs. And it is damn good I must admit... Gets better with every sip you take. At first it seems kind of soft and bland and then BAM! the flavours come through. Is the 12 yrs even better? I was looking into getting that one as well now. :D:tup:

Well, the 12 is meant to be quite a big step on from the already very good (IMO) 10yr.

After being bought my first bottle of the 10 and really liking it, i read a few whisky buffs online reviews of the Yamazakis. Some were saying that the 10 had a slight artificial taste to it, and that the 12 was a better starting point. But to be fair, i never noticed anything artificial about it myself. They're both good, but the 12 maybe has a (not wanting to sound wanky) 'fuller' taste to it. Without doing a back to back with them both i couldn't say if i preferred one over the other.

Ive honestly just started drinking single malts recently due to some friends, so when I wandered in here I saw some people mention it and found the Yamazaki 10 here in a shop. I'm glad I got it though, because I really like the taste compared to some other single malts I've tasted before this. I think I'll just splurge and get the 12 yrs next time I'm in the area of said store :)

Reading this thread makes me so want to be 18. Only 1.5years to go. I swear my uni room is going to look like a bar with that amount of different drinks I will have in there, actually take that back, I will be skint and be drinking it quicker than I can buy it. ;)

Double of Jamerson's in a single Baileys. Some call it the BJ, some say it's heavy, all I know....it's the worst instigator of violence know to man. ;)

I like a single but i'm a fan of either an Isla whiskey of an Irish, Bushmills FTW.

I'm quite partial to a bit of Jura every now and again. Quite like Oban too, when combined with a nice cigar.

Every table in a Chongqing club comes with a bottle of Chivas. I use to like the stuff, but drink it with enough tea mixer and it becomes just another drink. :(

Only single malt I've really tried is Glenfiddich 15 Year Old:

glenfiddich-15yearold-single-malt-whisky1.jpg

Great taste straight, but I couldn't have that much as it was a mate's bottle which apparently cost "over $90"...I normally buy whiskeys or bourbons that are half that. I'm a cheap bastard :D

That's not being cheap. $90 alcohol is a little ridiculous imo. $40 gets you good drink.

Of the plain single malts, I generally drink Talisker. I went through a big Macallan phase for a while, but I'm back to Talisker.

I'm quite partial to a Port Finish Bowmore, which has a lovely depth to it. Or Glen Rothes, which is just lovely.

If you can get hold of it, try some of this:

edradour1996yrrs.jpg

Edradour unchillfiltered. Marvellous stuff.

After that, I tend to go a bit off piste. I'm a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, so we try loads of single cask whiskies that are here-today, gone-tomorrow. Dalmore and Clynelish are particular favourites from there, along with the Glen Rothes again. I guess that when it gets down to the purity I'm a Speyside kinda guy.

I want to get something for my birthday, but I'm not sure if we'd get Pulteney 12 here. What do we think of the highland park 12? I don't want another peat monster, that's for sure. :lol: If I can't come to a decision I'll just get a Macallan. :lol:

Of the plain single malts, I generally drink Talisker. I went through a big Macallan phase for a while, but I'm back to Talisker.

I'm quite partial to a Port Finish Bowmore, which has a lovely depth to it. Or Glen Rothes, which is just lovely.

If you can get hold of it, try some of this:

edradour1996yrrs.jpg

Edradour unchillfiltered. Marvellous stuff.

After that, I tend to go a bit off piste. I'm a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, so we try loads of single cask whiskies that are here-today, gone-tomorrow. Dalmore and Clynelish are particular favourites from there, along with the Glen Rothes again. I guess that when it gets down to the purity I'm a Speyside kinda guy.

Jebus, they make a lot of different varieties of scotch!

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/edradour-whisky-distillery/

I want to get something for my birthday, but I'm not sure if we'd get Pulteney 12 here. What do we think of the highland park 12? I don't want another peat monster, that's for sure. :lol: If I can't come to a decision I'll just get a Macallan. :lol:

Highland Park is a good'un. Quite smooth and genteel, it's a good start to an evening!

As with a few of you here, this is my favourite 'daily' drinker
315616_154915994598151_1938873537_n.jpg

This is the 10yr sample I had before I went on the tour of the distillery
300943_154915937931490_97459996_n.jpg

I'm another Johnny fan, and while its not single malt, its still a nice scotch for the price. That being said I'm nowhere near able to afford the blue label, the black is my go to drink of choice.

Dalwhinnie. Scotch of choice.

Any single malt will do, though. There's just so many good ones out there all with their own unique flavour. Of course, the type of buzz you get with it differs, and the hangover, too, if there's one.

Yay! Grave diggin' for threads!

Better than starting a whole new thread though I guess... Anyway, I've really been enjoying this whisky over the past few weeks. Great taste/value for the money. At 35 euros this is not an expensive single malt, but once you taste it you'll think it should cost wwwaaayyy more :P

Bruichladdich 10 year old or The Laddie Ten

Nov11-Laddie10-1.jpg

I'm just getting to the bottom of a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. (figuratively, i'm at work right now) It's really nice for a blend and pretty cheap too 👍

You can't just be posting blended malts in the single malt thread!

Not much of a scotch fan here, but I love my bourbons and Irish whiskeys.

picture.php

Last summer I won a Glenfiddich 12 yr old bottle of single malt scotch whisky when I got nearest to the pin on a par 3. Hasn't been drank a year on.

^ Glenfiddich 12 is alright. Thats my general "pour for everyone" single malt. :P Good one to start out with as well to develop your taste for Single Malts. :)

I'm just getting to the bottom of a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. (figuratively, i'm at work right now) It's really nice for a blend and pretty cheap too 👍

I like some Scotch blends as well... And this one looks interesting :) Going to look into that one. 👍

Now this is rather different (in a totally good way)

1382428_10151741618206843_1162099437_n.jpg

(and I know its not strictly speaking a whisky, but this is the closest thread)

Last edited:
I'm a single malt drinker. 12 year old Glenlivet for value and a 20 year old Lagavulin for special evenings, anyone else likes true whisky?:sly:
What is your single malt of choice?

This all the way! Ever had their 18 yr aged goodness? How does Lagavulin compare?

turbedit: Nevermind, it's an old(ish) thread.
I still want to try the 18 yr old Glenlivet, but just can't justify the $100 for it.

Last edited:
Back