sixtoes : an automotive fine art gallery : returning soon!

• Thread starter sixtoes
  • 276 comments
Its a shame HDR shots arn't alowed in the 2.0 advanced comps, that sunset shot of the mark IV would take first for sure its simply STUNNING.

s12ken, Swiss Legend, General Red: Thanks, guys!

ragnar66: I'll admit I wish I could throw one of my HDR shots into the ring for the advanced comps... or even just an exposure blend. Guess I'll have to see what I can do with just one exposure sometime. :)

Fellow GTP forum member SmokingCones approached me awhile back with the idea of shooting a '70 Dodge Challenger - the trick was to shoot it as inspired by the 1971 cult classic car chase film, "Vanishing Point".

Of course, there's a bit of a challenge here - some of the iconic shots in the movie are of the car on looooong, straight desert roads. You all might have noticed there are no looooong desert roads in GT5. So I figured I'd go for a similar feel: isolation... long drives... early morning hours.

The shoot isn't finished yet - and won't be until tonight or tomorrow - but, just like with the Mark IV shoot before it, I thought it might be a good idea to provide a little teaser...

Teaser Image now available in the shoot - see below. :)

Last edited:
Sixtoes, you have a real talent for close up images and for spotting locations to actually shoot the photograph notably the backgrounds - prue magic. If you ever need any car that you would particularly like to shoot then please PM me. I'll be checking back here to see your work regularly from now on. Good effort and good luck!

Really nice set-up there, I would maybe desaturate it some to give it a bit more retro feel to go along with the polaroid frame. I like it a lot though!

TVR&Ferrari_Fan: Thanks - trying to get that 'off into the sunset' (or, in this case, sunrise) feel.

nw99: It comes from having a photographic background in 'real life'... always looking for where the light is coming from, and what feelings I can create/generate by using the background and light.

RetroGiant: Retro! Good point regarding the desaturation - it was only at the last second that I decided to with that retro look... used the same custom action I'd built for the Mark IV shoot, but lowered the intensity. Not sure if that's the feel I'll carry over for the whole thing, but if so, I'll definitely be taking that under advisement. :)

All: I'm not a big fan of the way PD renders the "sun" in these images. That is all. :grumpy:

Dodge and Mark IV on Nurburg are impressive... think their atmosphere is just right. But IMO I'd make frames a bit more tight, especially on Mark Iv shots, but that's because they are as wallpapers on my phone:) Nothing to add, nothing to mention, keep'em coming! Subscribed!

sems4arsenal: You won't have to wait long... I'm finally digging into Photomatix and Photoshop to get 'em done!

Swiss Legend: Thanks!

krakozyabr: Thanks (though the Dodge is actually on the Sarthe circuit, fyi). I'm with you on the frames - that's why you'll see that the ones I chose for the Dodge are a little narrower this time around. :)

Nicknamealguem: The reflection's what really drew me to this composition. It'll show up in at least one more of the images from this shoot. And yeah, the way they render the sun is bizarre to say the least. Get the sun in a shot and drop the EV all the way to -5 and you'll see what I mean. Ugh. (Hence a little blur to help cover up the uglies!)

grrlpurple: Thanks! I'm working on a Photoshop action to do exactly that for the rest of these images... heheh.

All: Update coming shortly!!

I can't wait for your latest masterpiece! Viewing your gallery always makes me wanna step up in the photomode department ;)

Very nice shot sixtoes. I definitely get the vibe your going for. Also agree that maybe it could do witha bit of desaturation, but thats a pretty minor tweak in an otherwise very stylish shot. Your photography experience is evident. Nice 👍

s12ken: No more waiting - it's here. (Though you might find some disagreement on the whole "masterpiece" idea!) Glad I can provide a little inspiration, by the way. 💡

SVK: Thanks - and let's hope you still feel that way after seeing the full shoot! :nervous:

GPR: Well, I think the slight tweak I adopted for the shoot will help... went with a cooler, desaturated look with a little old-school film grain.

And now - the 1970 Challenger R/T...

Of course, since this shoot was inspired by the car chase cult classic "Vanishing Point", I'd be making a mistake if I didn't include at least a couple of off-road chase scenes...

And finally, the obligatory Photo Travel shots...

The shot where you can see the interior while the car is moving (the last of the road photos before the dirt shots) is possibly the single best shot I've seen from GT5 so far. It's just breathtaking. The scenery is beautiful, the camera positioning is perfect, the lighting is very atmospheric and it looks so damn real! I really thought it was an actual photo at first!

Awesomeness, you know, I was taking a stroll down memory lane, viewing our old GT4 galleries, hehe fun times.. :D

The details that go in to your posts is astounding as always, it's really an advantage for us who hold lenses IRL when it comes to composing our shots, the angles, play of light and mood are all set the moment we get a shoot project in our heads. Cheers!!!

👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

5374156674_74c24c6b1e_b.jpg

This is probally the single best photo i have ever seen out of GT5, SIMPLY STUNNING. It almost looks as if its been painted, the Sky, the winding road, the interior of the car showing as well just amazing!

I would simply love if i could print this as a canvas if you let me!

Oh wow! I have to say...
The shot that mog is referring to is simply breathtaking. I also really love the second one, with the sunset. Great great shot there. You have great noise levels to the shots as well as a great overall capture of Vanishing Point.
The overall desaturation of the set is just great.

Ooh yeah! Thats what I'm talking about! Just plain great. Nice feel and tone across the whole set. I too agree that the shot Mog referred too is just awesome. But really they are all very well done.

Impressive once again sixtoes. 👍 👍

I really enjoy the quiet beauty of those challenger shots. The warm white and oranges on the blue track is done just right for the subject matter. Not contrasty and exciting but gentle and composed, dignified.

What the? How the? Just......you nailed it! Just an absolutely breathtaking set of shots! From the images themselves all the way down to the post processing. A+ times a million!

Moglet: That's my favorite from the series as well. It took some experimenting at de la Sarthe to get the morning light right, and more than one "back to top" in the replay to get the timing spot-on. Fortunately, that spot is early on in the lap, so it didn't drive me too crazy. :banghead: Thanks to the way PD renders skies, I did have to do an exposure blend on this - just two exposures (+2 and -1, if I recall), but not through HDR... just manual blending.

s12ken: Thank you. Being a photographer IRL definitely makes planning my shots a little easier, as I can envision what I want more clearly and usually - though not always - am able to find a way to make it happen. Definitely helps composition - just not always execution!

ragnar666: Very kind - given how many great shots from GT5 have been on display of late, that's a very high compliment. :humble: While I'd be happy to let you print it if you could, I rather suspect it wouldn't turn out very well. Since it's a Photo Mode replay, it's only about 1200 x 1600 pixels... at the usual print resolution of 300dpi, you'd get a 4" x 5" out of it... hardly worth printing on canvas!

Swiss Legend: I'm glad someone noticed shot #2 as well... there's something almost hypnotic about the lines in that shot - and I'll freely admit that it took a couple of runs through the first minute of the replay to get it where I wanted it to be. (By the way, it's a sunrise, not a sunset - one of the trickiest things about playing with light like this is knowing which direction it will come from. I tried a sunset the first time, but the compositions didn't work on that track.)

GRP: Seems your suggestion regarding a touch of desaturation really helped make the set work - thanks! :)

Revolution: Thanks, Revo - I especially appreciate those words coming from a talent like you!

MiniMarco: "Quiet beauty"... I like the way you put that into words. You definitely got the feel I was aiming for - solitude and almost a sense of stillness as time goes slowly.

Cod_Father: Well, I hope your speech returns to you shortly! :dopey: Glad you enjoyed it, and I'll have more... or "MOAR!" soon, I'm sure. :)

krakozyabr: Thanks - wish I could, too! Crazy low-res Photo Mode. :grumpy:

SVX: Thanks!

RetroGiant: Like with Revolution, Moglet and some of the other heavy hitters around here, I particularly appreciate these comments from you. I'll admit I kinda felt like I'd nailed it myself, but it's good to know I'm not the only one! :)

ALL: Thanks for the compliments and I'm genuinely glad you've enjoyed my work so far. My next project is a little more challenging. Fellow GTPer Nlmkiii thought I might be able to do something interesting with a...

Volkswagen Sambabus. In chrome. :rolleyes:

Oh, my. :nervous:

Back