Slash's F150 Street Truck: V8 Swap Incoming

• Thread starter Slash
  • 277 comments
Welp I snapped the distributor cap screws in the distributor so I need a new one, but I drilled them out and nut/bolted the new cap on. Runns good but still has a miss so I'm thinking one of the injectors is bad. Other than a valve or computer that's about all I can be.

I also ordered cab lights, factory ones. Cant wait for those!! Going to pick up some more black flex tubing for various hoses and lines soon as well.

IMG_20161125_234238091.jpg

Finally finished tearing down the new engine. Except for maybe 4-5, just about every bearing had copper showing. Oh well, none of it is getting reused anyways. I degreased and wire wheeled the block and sprayed it with some Ford blue paint I had left over. Next step is having it surfaced, bored, and new cam bearings installed. Im going to order brass freeze plugs for it this week. As I knocked out the old ones.

IMG_20161126_195637869.jpg
IMG_20161126_210905086.jpg
IMG_20161126_211202492.jpg
IMG_20161126_211244327.jpg

Did a thing on the roof! Always wanted to do this. Cross another thing off the list.

Measured and mounted as close to stock as I can get. The base of them were grey not white, but not a big deal. Came with everything I needed.

IMG_20161129_160235067.jpg
IMG_20161129_213807.jpg

Nice, I really like those cab lights on older trucks. When guys put them on new trucks they look ridiculous but they fit right in with something a little older.

I'm also surprised at the lack of snow you have.

Nice, I really like those cab lights on older trucks. When guys put them on new trucks they look ridiculous but they fit right in with something a little older.

I'm also surprised at the lack of snow you have.
I'm absolutely in love with them. The hardest part was fishing the wire between holes since the center hole I drilled smaller than factory, but otherwise wasn't too bad. I agree they definitely fit in better on older trucks, my buddy said the same thing after I put them on

We had a few inches about 2 weeks ago...good lord I was ice skating with these tires. I really want to get a winter beater to keep the salt off it. Lord knows it has enough issues as it is.

Here's a decent daytime pic.

IMG_20161130_172946.jpg

I think it was partly cause I wasn't using a key, even though the ignition cylinder is new if i don't turn it back all the way it will still start. I stopped that and its been fine.

Haven't had a problem with my spacers at all and I'm hard on then. Stock studs are 1/2"x20 you can find em.

Another idea for you based on some crap from my blue truck I just remembered. When the starter solenoid started to get old, it would crank slower and take longer to start. Check that thing, make sure it's in good working shape!

I can find stock studs all day, but the ebay spacers I bought don't use the factory studs in the spacer. They have some other 1/2x20 stud with what seems to be the weirdest base on it ever, because I can't for the life of me get a replacement!

Another idea for you based on some crap from my blue truck I just remembered. When the starter solenoid started to get old, it would crank slower and take longer to start. Check that thing, make sure it's in good working shape!

I can find stock studs all day, but the ebay spacers I bought don't use the factory studs in the spacer. They have some other 1/2x20 stud with what seems to be the weirdest base on it ever, because I can't for the life of me get a replacement!
Starter solenoid is brand new Motorcraft, put it on when I replaced the starter. I have quite a stock of them for both trucks.

That's odd. Any pics?

I think I have the misfire figured out, thinking it's a bad injector. Probably gonna test my 351 injectors to see if they are still good and then have my bud slap a tune on it. Might try and put my 351 throttle body on it and gave a custom spacer machined.

So I've been a bit quiet in here lately, but mostly because it's winter, so I parked it till spring to keep the salt off it.

Meanwhile I've been whipping a 99 GMC Jimmy 4.3L, stocking up on parts for the Ford. While the Jimmy has its problems, my truck has priority and since it's a winter beater Ive just left it alone.

So far, this is what I have and a list of what I need.

2 of 4 door hinge pins
1 of 2 rear forward spring hangers
Rear leaf spring shackles (extras I have laying around)
2 Moog 354 (1330) greasable u joints
Inline 6 pushrod cover gasket
Permatex gasket sealer
Rotella Triple T 15w-40 diesel engine oil
Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter

Still a few more things I need, but most of the major stuff is covered.

I still need freeze plugs for the 351, two more door hinge pins, door strikers, and another spring hanger.

IMG_20170102_182944433.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 602368

Incomplete to do list...as always. Just in case anyone wants to know where this is going.

Priority:

1. Cheap exhaust - DONE
  2. Get inspection - PASSED
  3. Alignment - DONE
  4. Tighten plugs #4 and #6 - DONE
  5. Replace plug wires - DONE
  6. Replace last two spring hangers - PARTS ARRIVED
  7. Replace transmission crossmember - PARTS ARRIVED
  8. Exhaust hangers and clamps - DONE

Other crap:

1. Lakewood traction bars - DONE
  2. Ford Racing 4.10 gears- DONE
  3. Ford Racing 31 spline limited slip differential- DONE
  4. 3 bottles of 75w-140 gear oil w/ friction modifier- DONE
  5. Diff cover gasket (cover and gasket already replaced)- DONE
  6. Oil change [6qts Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil with zinc] - DONE
  7. Motorcraft FL1-A oil filter - DONE
  8. Advance timing 4*
  9. Bug shield - DONE
  10. Hood letters - DONE
  11. Cree 180w 15,840 Lumen 30" LED light bar - DONE
  12. Rebuild wiring harness for KC and BAJA lights - partially done
  13. Pick up angle iron and flat stock from scrap yard for various uses
  14. Install rear pipe bumper- DONE
  15. Build license plate mounting bracket
  16. Fix license plate bulb
  17. Replace light bulb with LED
  18. Order Cree 50w LED 3157 rear tail light bulbs and install - DONE
  19. Wire in Sylvania resistors - DONE
  20. Order 28x14.50 Hoosier slicks
  21. Swap KC light bulbs for Xenon bulbs I already have
  22. Install F150 fender flares - DONE
  23. Purchase and install red Eddie Bauer fiberglass running boards
  24. Purchase and install matching red vinyl bench seat- DONE
  25. Red interior swap - DONE
  26. Soft bench seat swap - DONE
  27. Ford tailgate letters and diamond plate - DONE
  28. Install cab pillar trim
  29. Replace carpet with black rubber vinyl - DONE
  30. Fix sagging door hinges - DONE
  31. Replace door strikers - DRIVER SIDE DONE
  32. Replace bedsides and paint
  33. Fix bed cross sill mount rust
  34. Repair drivers side cab corner
  35. Replace passenger fender
  36. Fix passenger door dents and scratches
  37. Roll bars - DONE
  38. Replace door mirror mounting hardware
  39. Drill in window rain guards
  40. Paint firewall - DONE
  41. Paint truck
  42. Fix tailgate or replace it- DONE
  43. Undercoat hood
  44. Replace grille and headlight bezels - MUST REDO
  45. Box in the frame and make necessary repairs
  46. Replace cowl HAVE PARTS
  47. Replace antenna - DONE
  48. Ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods, coil springs and shocks - DONE
  49. Radius arm polyurethane bushings - DONE
  50. Replace tailgate straps with factory steel straps
  51. Order aftermarket clear headlight lenses
  52. Buy new air cleaner pods
  53. Wire up switch panel - DONE
  54. Wire up second tachometer
  55. Order pillar gauge pods and wire up gauges
  56. Replace driver door panel 194 bulb
  57. Reinstall dome light - DONE
  58. Order LED square pods
  59. Block off return check valve for fuel system
  60. Rebuild fuel system for 19 gal remote fuel cell
  61. Wire up Holley pump to kill switch - done with motor swap
  62. 418ci stroker small block
  63. TCI C6 trans with gear vendors or rebuild E4OD
  64. Moser 4 link 9" rear axle
  65. Full 7.50 certified roll cage
  66. Energy Suspension cab mounts - PURCHASED
  67. Core support
  68. Core support mounts
  69. Replace body trim
  70. Replace driver fender
  71. Cab lights, OEM - DONE
  72. Replace front steering knuckles and wheel bearings
  73. Figure out why pass side dash shakes
  74. Retint rear window with 15℅
  75. Remove plastic bed liner
  76. Replace bump stops with Energy Suspension
  77. MSD Street Fighter TFI coil until swap - DONE
  78. E4OD standalone ECU controller if no TCI trans
  79. Summit Racing adjustable fuel pressure regulator
  80. Air conditioning system delete - DONE
  81. Rear disc brake conversion
  82. Front slotted or drilled rotors
  83. F250 dual piston calipers and rotors
  84. F250 master cylinder and vacuum booster
  85. SVT Lightning rear sway bar
  86. Moser 31 spline 4130 chromoly axle shafts

All that is before engine swap stuff....

Updated the list.

Last edited:
So as many of you guys know my front clip is toast, the fenders are best, the core support is rotted.

Well my buddy has a 96 Bronco with an 80s front clip that he is scrapping and has since donated the front end to me. So after all I will be doing the older front clip and painting the entire truck. None of this will be for a while as I need to save for a bed, doors, two more door pins, paint + supplies, driver fender and a welder.

But that's where I am at. I will using my dads old grille and buckets until I get new ones. I am not using this black and red front end. It's mostly rust free and needs a couple small repairs but nothing I can't handle.

FB_IMG_1484437176247.jpg
FB_IMG_1484437209415.jpg

Well the front clip was a bust, my bud ended up selling it so I'm leaving mine alone for now. But I'm working a new job and taxes are coming back soon so hopefully that means I can start stocking up on parts again. I've been working on a list of things I need. I also have several options on a 351 I can toss in for the mean time while I build the stroker engine and prep that up, this engine will be converted to EFI so I can at least have some V8 burble before the big guns roll in.

Here's a list of what I need including V8 swap stuff. I priced that out and I should be able to have one in and running for a couple hundo bills.

Rear Forward Leaf Spring Hanger (1 of 2)
Door pins (2 of 4)
Bed carrier bolts
Energy Suspension cab mounts + hardware

Swap parts

351W engine (3rd engine I will own)
Fuel injectors + possibly o-rings (junkyard)
Throttle body + possibly throttle cable (junkyard)
Intake gaskets upper + lower
Intake bolts (all)
Exhaust manifold studs (possible)
Full exhaust
16qts green coolant
Ford blue paint
Upper + lower radiator hoses
Motor mounts (have them but might as well replace)
Perch bolts
Fuel line ends + fittings
Plugs + wires (naturally)

I have everything else that is necessary including the computer and all the wiring.

Things I want:

Red/Black Ford Racing valve covers
Valve cover bolts + gaskets
Stainless upper radiator hose
Full gauge cluster instrumentation (aftermarket)

Plus a few more things I'll think of.

And after all that's on your current list is on and you say the trucks "done" let's be honest here, it probably won't ever truly be done. You're a car guy. I am too and so is just about everyone else on here. The word "done" is not in our vocabulary. :lol:

But seriously I got a friend who might have some connections and could get you something you're looking for. Provided you're willing to go this route and have a third party involved. It's fine if you're not obviously. I'd definitely understand where you're coming from.

It hasn't ever been done and won't be for a long long time, there's too much that needs fixing before modifying.

So I ordered some parts tonight. I now have all of my door pins and the new strikers, and i also grabbed a few decals, but more so I finally started getting cheap parts for the new engine. I bought stainless intake bolts, ARP cam bolts, intake and valve cover gaskets, and freeze plugs.

Ordered some more this morning. Axle pivot bushings, the last spring hanger I needed, a brand new limited slip diff + fluids and gaskets, cab mount bushings and Lakewood traction bars.

So I picked up another 351 this week, 60,000 miles on the rebuild. Complete running motor, and its getting dropped in fairly soon. Just going to clean it up and paint it before I drop it in. At this point from here its just a little bit of frame work left and then I can focus on the body. Also installed new freeze plugs in the stroker engine and all my parts arrived, so in all I dropped about $1100 this week give or take. Excited to finally have a V8 in this old girl. Shes got a little squat with that extra 1200lbs in the bed!

IMG_20170218_213125_990.jpg
FB_IMG_1487467278352.jpg
IMG_20170218_213155_458.jpg
IMG_20170218_213755_782.jpg
IMG_20170219_092435040.jpg
IMG_20170219_183516_307.jpg

I feel like you're gonna end up having some fun with open headers in the garage or shop or wherever you're doing the work at at some point before you finish putting your full exhaust on. Because that definitely seems like something you'd do. :lol:

Fabbed up some stainless brackets for the light bar and fixed it's wiring, fixed my steering stabilizer since it came loose, put in new door pins on the driver's side and adjusted the hinges along with a few other things, like adding LED light bulbs to the standard headlights.

Also started working on the new engine prepping for paint. Needs a few things like a rear main seal and oil pan gasket but nothing too obnoxious.

IMG_20170222_201339_814.jpg
IMG_20170222_123836111.jpg
IMG_20170222_110426374.jpg

So its been a little bit now since I updated this, here is where I am at.

Got my red bench seat, great shape only a few small issues, came out of a 1985 even. Red vinyl, no head rests, just like I wanted. The pics here are from the truck it was pulled from. The only thing left to finalize the complete interior swap is the passenger rear pillar post plastic. Just haven't had time or ambition to do it.

Next up, V8 motor. Still in the swap for under $800 including cost of the engine. I went through and resealed the top end, broke 2 intake bolts so they need to be drilled, but otherwise all that's left to get is frame perch bolts, coolant, oil, headers, header studs and gaskets, and fuel line when I get it set in there. This is an otherwise stock engine. This engine should be in and running in just a few weeks. I'm picking up a full fox body exhaust off a friend complete with headers, Thrush mufflers and piping this week also. While I would like long tubes, he's giving me a great deal on shorties, so I couldnt pass it up.

Most of the other parts I recently bought haven't been installed yet, minus new door pins for the drivers side; I was getting tired of my door not shutting and allowing in excessive wind noise and being able to see light through the weather strip seals. I had to adjust the hinges but now it shuts properly like new. The other side still needs to be done. The rear diff will hopefully go in shortly around when the motor goes in but that remains to be seen. The traction bars need modifying to fit, and cab mounts still need hardware before I can do them. I also recently bought a tailgate in better shape that will reolace my rotted one, and hopefully I will be pulling the bed off for some serious frame reinforcement sometime this summer. I also got a factory passenger mirror head to replace my dented one. My bud also tossed in a few sets of windshield trim chrome and clips.

While it's not done, I also did have my dad help modify my original rear bumper brackets, and we welded up the pipe bumper. I still need to make a bracket for the license plate, weld in some diamond plate to fill the gap between the bumper and bed, and fab some LED pod mounts to go under both tail lights for reverse backup lights at night. I think once that is done and I get some dual chrome tips out the back that will look sweet. Putting a bumper back on really stiffened up the frame.

It is nice to be able to say I built this truck and I have the most modified vehicle of all my friends. I estimate I'm somewhere around $5k invested, and while you can't see most of it, the difference in driveability between when I bought it and now is night and day.

IMG_20170305_185645_875.jpg
IMG_20170310_160755.jpg
IMG_20170304_223442_853.jpg
received_1256487774434088.jpeg
Screenshot_2017-02-28-15-07-26.png
IMG_20170228_123842891.jpg
IMG_20170228_145145493.jpg
IMG_20170228_145154716.jpg
IMG_20170228_164230126.jpg
IMG_20170228_173129114.jpg
IMG_20170228_173138703.jpg

Looking good, I'm surprised you haven't been pulled over for no front bumper. Everywhere I've ever been that's a big ticket.

Looking good, I'm surprised you haven't been pulled over for no front bumper. Everywhere I've ever been that's a big ticket.
By law you are required to have one, but the cops don't even bat an eye, especially the local ones. I'm a pretty well known guy in the local community, perks of a small town I guess (family and friends work for the county Sheriff's Dept.); they leave me alone for the most part. I haven't had bumpers on either end (on and off) for about a year and a half. As long as you aren't going out of your way asking to be pulled over they won't bug ya. They consider no front plate to be a worse offense.

Do you consider yourself more interested in cornering now? I remember you stating that actually going out for twisties didn't interest you, but as of late you've really been focusing on making it a good handler.

SVX
Do you consider yourself more interested in cornering now? I remember you stating that actually going out for twisties didn't interest you, but as of late you've really been focusing on making it a good handler.
Im not going to lie, Twisties are definitely fun. There's something about making this 4500lb lump of steel turn like it's on rails though! Although I wonder how negatively traction bars will affect it. But they are necessary to prevent axle wrap/wheel hop.

I am proud that I am able to out handle a first gen Lightning though, it means a lot to me.

Back