Slash's F150 Street Truck: V8 Swap Incoming

• Thread starter Slash
  • 277 comments
Had the battery issue return...turns out it's the cruddy cheap Walmart terminal ends I had my buddy install for me at work.one day. A loose connection causes random and complete loss of all electrical power and no start. I initially attributed this to a dome light issue but turns out it was not so. So I want to replace all the cables and hoses. The busted trans mount was also not also a huge issue, turns out that was a motor mount, and now it rattles like stink. That's on order. The solid trans mount gave it no play and wore the bushing out faster. Hollowing out one of the cats didnt help.

I'll be getting the headliner reinstalled as well soon, along with finally ditching that rear tank and having the tirods and alignment finally done. As more money gets invested I am looking into wiring a fuel pump toggle switch as an anti theft measure. Much easier than trying to do an ignition switch on a stock TFI system. That will come when the new engine gets an MSD system. Speaking of the ignition I really want to get my old tach back in. I also need a fresh grille and bezel.

So much to do!

I've also been looking for rolling chassis/frame rails. I've come to the conclusion I just don't want to fix it and would rather start with something fresh and swap the body. I'm throwing the idea around of taking her off the road and finding a cheaper car to run while I rebuild this truck.

IMG_20160620_150259.jpg

FB_IMG_1466532066852.jpg

Last edited:
Put the other door handle on, plus my old fog lights under the front bumper and some rain guards I had bought a while ago. I also realigned the bumper. No more rubbing.

IMG_20160623_212935.jpg

Sometimes she makes me happy. Sometimes she pisses me off. But at the end of the day its photos like these and the nice ride compliments that make my money worth it. I'm broke as hell this week, not sure how I'm getting to work, but I don't care. It's paying off.

IMG_20160624_184204778_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160624_184609.jpg

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I have a few grilles to play with so I'm thinking about cutting out the blue oval.

Started really diving into the fuel system. I tore out rear tank and I am in the process of redneck rigging the rear lines to be blocked off. Some trucks had a check valve in the tank to recirculate fuel between the to, others had them in the valve between the tanks. I thought mine was between the tanks, so I started it and had about 60psi of fuel spraying evrywhere :lol:

So the quick fix at the moment is to put some high pressure clamps and hose over a crimped fuel line (the sending unit was so rotted I had to hack saw the lines off), stick a bolt in it and tighten them suckers down. The return line leaks a good bit too so my dad is going to get a new quick release tool since I broke mine, so more fuel line and do the same thing.

I thought about putting a new tank back in.since I can get a killer deal on one but I have decided I am going to remove the side tank and put a big bronco tank in. Then I can extend the side tank lines to the back and take the excess lines out.

I figured while I was in there I'd wire brush down the loose rust and spray some undercoating up in there. Looks alright. I also took the American flag wrap off the Ford letters on my gate.

IMG_20160710_183700315.jpg
IMG_20160710_183654910.jpg
IMG_20160710_183650748.jpg
IMG_20160710_183646577.jpg
IMG_20160710_184906527.jpg
IMG_20160710_184923252.jpg
IMG_20160710_184933467.jpg
IMG_20160711_121625695.jpg
IMG_20160711_121609586.jpg
IMG_20160711_121616249.jpg

Started patching the frame. Currently have grade 5 bolts in, but will be switching to grade 8 after I change the trans cross member and welding is done. Feels much stiffer driving now. New York likes bolts welding because then they can determine the sheer rate. If high enough and enough bolts there's no chance of it coming apart. Still need to put a few in the bottom. Before I did that I took a flap disk and angle grinder and ground down some loose crap and drilled a big ass hole at the end of the crack.

IMG_20160721_190748021.jpg

IMG_20160721_214609989.jpg

So I did a thing and picked up an aluminum push bar for $100. I'm going to sand her down and clean her up and then figure out how I'm going to mount it. Its not the exact one I wanted but damn close. I'm going to be ordering a Cree 30" light bar rated for 16,000 lumens that will be mounted on it. Can't wait to get that done. Soon I will be getting the new grille and bezel that I keep putting off.

Also on the way is a custom built set of Caltrac traction bars that upon arrival I will be having sent out for powdercoating. I am also replacing, finally, the rotted out transmission cross member that was the caused of the stress crack that I plated last week. Shortly after I will be replacing another spring hanger and then, hopefully,should be alright for a while mechanically. Of course the biggest thing I've still pushed off is the tie rods and alignment. Haha. I'll get to it eventually.

Just in....might be going to grab these Friday.

00404_lpRDzZIVYwo_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_7GUM6TeYReZ_600x450.jpg

Also, this is the push bar I bought. I think it's going to need a little modification but should work.

IMG_20160727_202613536.jpg

Bought those, plus a double tube front one with light mounts and the guy even threw in some 70s tailgate trim for free. Very nice guy, has two properties loaded with stuff for sale. I mean everything from I beams to race car parts to 40+ parts vehicles and even a 429 big block Ford in a moving van. Definitely will be doing business with him again.

IMG_20160728_183355792_HDR.jpg

I'll be cleaning this up, painting some of it and going to mount it on my gate and cover up the old letters.

Mounted up. Kinda rushed it but it looks ok from a distance. I will be getting diamond plate and painting it black to cover up the black trim and old letters. Also started building the front bumper. It's not done yet but I had enough for today. Going to be mounting diamond plate on that as well, adjusting and wiring the lights, perhaps mounting a light bar and if I get ambitious enough, bending the tube ends to the curvature of the body but that is a ton of work in of itself.

I also painted up the rear bumper before I cut off the old brackets to mount it. Spent $40 in drill bits and hardware just to get these on.

IMG_20160729_220345.jpg
IMG_20160729_220536.jpg

This is where the bumper is at for the moment. I still want to do all that stuff I mentioned but figured I'd let you guys see how it turned out.

IMG_20160729_210653282_HDR.jpg

Welp I got the diamond plate on. One more step done. Also cut the Chevy frame and brackets off the rear bumper. Going to use the stock ones off my old bumper.

IMG_20160801_202941161_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160801_203619249_HDR.jpg

Cut the roll bar kickers 4" shorter. I will take good pics after I clean the welds up and paint it. They fit better now. Not quite as short as id like but better.

IMG_20160804_205638618.jpg

After months of putting it off I finally installed the new tie rods. Much better steering though the wheel is off...I will correct that shortly. I ordered new upper and lower ball joints as well as my trans crossmember...next paycheck with my spring hangers and then the frame will be ready for beefing up. I also readjusted the stabilizer bracket. Fits better now.

IMG_20160824_235149.jpg

Ball joint time! Did both upper and lowers. They were utterly shot. They were so bad that 2" lift that settled still had negative camber. Needless to say that has been fixed and now needs adjusting or new camber bushings if i can't get enough out of them. I made toe adjustments as well and got the wheel straight and it to drive straight down the road. So at least theirs that before I take it in for inspection and alignment. The trans crossmember is ordered, just need to stop and pick up some grade 8 bolts and lock washers and then that rotted nasty one will be long gone. After that, spring hangers, and then traction bars. Although i do need to start looking for a place to store it over winter and find a beater. Definitely don't want to run it in the salt anymore. Minus one radius arm bushing and pivot bushings nearly every piece of this things steering and suspension has been replaced in my driveway.

FB_IMG_1472401730347.jpg
IMG_20160828_131904030_HDR.jpg
FB_IMG_1472438244083.jpg

The only major projects left underneath is just sprig hangers and the trans crossmember, which should be here today and ordering hangers soon, and traction bars. After that I want to park it for winter, find a beater and drive that and really tear into this truck. I want to pull the bed off and start boxing the frame in. This truck will likely be getting either a Moser or Strange 9" 4 link rear end, and I have looked at a 289/c4 combo for sale cheap but either way I'm going to end up with that 393 with likely a TCI streefighter C6 trans and gear vendors overdrive unit. Complete rewiring the whole thing for standalone everything just like the old trucks. Biggest challenge will be getting stock guages to work. I may change the entire cluster.

Last edited:
Small update.

I installed spring clamps on my rear leafs. It tightened the rear up more and feels more planted and lays down power better. Next step for that will be traction bars. I had the chance to get a lightning rear end for $150 but just didnt have the money since it needed brakes. I also installed new Cree LED 50w projector bulbs and Sylvania resistors. My taillights are now retardedly bright. A 30" light bar is in the mail and spring hangers arrived in the mail today.

Also, the big news. I'm going and picking up a running and driving 97 F250 4x4, with a 351. Tossing the idea around of using it as winter beater and pulling this off the road. Then scrapping the truck and putting that drivetrain under this. $250, truck is mine. Floors are screwed, it's rusty as hell. But I dont care.

IMG_20160907_184649963.jpg
received_1351216638229358.jpeg

Well I got the parts truck over to my buddies house, drove it there. Ran and drove great
I do think a sensor died cause the dummy temp gauge went sky high and check engine came on, but the truck was still running cool, and it had sat for a while. Regardless, I got the engine, trans and transfer case pulled. The engine looks like it's going to clean up well, only major leak is a valve cover gasket on the right bank. Front and rear mains look good, no rod knocks or ticking, and as a whole the motor ran fantastic. All the necessary wiring has been yanked, now I'm just stripping the truck for parts I need for both me and my dad before I send it to the junkyard. Minus a couple hiccups it came apart pretty easy and I had the front clip off it in a matter of a half hour.

IMG_20160916_191731617.jpg
1474072891754.jpg
Screenshot_2016-09-17-13-56-10.png
IMG_20160917_165649461.jpg
IMG_20160917_195710768.jpg

I don't know why but when I saw the updated title I was expecting a dentside F250 to be involved. :P

Nah, for what this one is its not too bad I suppose. I haven't seen or read too much on it so I don't know what it's really like, but if you want to make a bit of money you could sell some leftover panels and donate the chassis to a tech school. If it's too far gone to do that then hey, I guess at least it pretty much paid for itself in being a parts truck. :indiff:

Back